Discuss Detroit » Hall of Fame Threads » Council Woman meets with Ernie Harwell » Archive through July 26, 2007 « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Sharmaal
Username: Sharmaal

Post Number: 1184
Posted on Wednesday, July 25, 2007 - 2:35 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

http://detnews.com/apps/pbcs.d ll/article?AID=/20070725/UPDAT E/707250439

Ray1936
Username: Ray1936

Post Number: 1688
Posted on Wednesday, July 25, 2007 - 2:43 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

This city council has as much of a chance of making a decision as I do of hitting the lottery. And I'm not talking about just Tiger Stadium.

Pitiful.

Gravitymachine
Username: Gravitymachine

Post Number: 1743
Posted on Wednesday, July 25, 2007 - 2:46 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

that is the dumbest thing i've ever heard/read.

Eric_w
Username: Eric_w

Post Number: 277
Posted on Wednesday, July 25, 2007 - 2:47 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I did not want the Tiger to build a new stadium but it happened. Now I think the best thing should be tear it down and build homes there-not condos, houses with yards and lawns. Not too lavish or high priced though. Something a person of modest means can afford to own. Something for families.

Dds
Username: Dds

Post Number: 283
Posted on Wednesday, July 25, 2007 - 2:47 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hopefully Ernie does the right thing and tells her to get the hell out of politics.

Scs100
Username: Scs100

Post Number: 1259
Posted on Wednesday, July 25, 2007 - 2:48 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Pathetic.

Susanarosa
Username: Susanarosa

Post Number: 1584
Posted on Wednesday, July 25, 2007 - 2:50 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hopefully she'll wear her dressiest t-shirt and stretch pants for the meeting.

Quozl
Username: Quozl

Post Number: 1002
Posted on Wednesday, July 25, 2007 - 2:54 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

And a VIP ball cap...

Dds
Username: Dds

Post Number: 286
Posted on Wednesday, July 25, 2007 - 2:55 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Dammit Quozl, you beat me to it.

Paulmcall
Username: Paulmcall

Post Number: 279
Posted on Wednesday, July 25, 2007 - 4:10 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Ernie is too smart to get sucked into this mess.

Waz
Username: Waz

Post Number: 128
Posted on Wednesday, July 25, 2007 - 4:55 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I thought this might be some forum joke based on the "Councilwoman to meet with Kroger" thread, but no such luck.
Just say no, Ernie.

Johnlodge
Username: Johnlodge

Post Number: 1318
Posted on Wednesday, July 25, 2007 - 5:02 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Maybe Ernie will point out how the Council "STANDS THERE LIKE THE HOUSE ON THE SIDE OF THE ROAD WATCHING THE CARS GO BY" when it comes to actually doing some good around here.

Long live Ernie.

Vas
Username: Vas

Post Number: 761
Posted on Wednesday, July 25, 2007 - 5:28 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Nothing dumb about this one. Ernie can probably give the best overall info on things regarding the stadium since he's talked to so many people with interests there.
I don't like council, but just because the news puts "bizarre" in the first sentence everyone thinks its dumb. It isn't.

Supersport
Username: Supersport

Post Number: 11641
Posted on Wednesday, July 25, 2007 - 5:53 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I have to agree with Vas on this one. Why is talking with "the voice" of the Tigers a bad idea? I'm sure that a good number of the council members aren't huge baseball fans, so they some may hold very little sentimental value to the place.

If Ernie agrees to meet with her, he will likely say what most of us already know. The time for the stadium has gone, as of last season, I'd say the torch has officially passed on to Comerica Park, and Verlander's no-hitter helped add to the new parks history. I can see him agreeing to the demolition of the place, though not without perhaps suggesting that the field be preserved, as has been proposed, for kids to play ball on. Also, perhaps a museum of some sort.

I personally feel that those expecting Ernie to say the place should be saved would be very disappointed, as I'm confident he'll agree that it's time to move on, that the Tigers will never play there again.

She isn't meeting with a developer, she isn't meeting with somebody with a plan, she is simply meeting with somebody whom is more a part of that ballpark than probably anybody else out there. Why not ask his opinion as to where they should go from here?

Waz
Username: Waz

Post Number: 129
Posted on Wednesday, July 25, 2007 - 6:18 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

And why should Ernie's opinion be any more or less relevant than any of ours? He's not a civil engineer, he has no business stake in the place (as least as far as I know), he is, as you say, "more a part of the ballpark as anyone out there". An EMOTIONAL part, and that's all.

Whether he says good or ill of the future of the stadium , why should that matter in the debate? As Paulmccall noted, why should he get stuck in this mess?

(Message edited by waz on July 25, 2007)

Quozl
Username: Quozl

Post Number: 1005
Posted on Wednesday, July 25, 2007 - 6:24 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Poor Ernie Harwell needs to make more of his Audio Scrapbooks and keep out of the whole mess. Kwame wants it tore down so it will be tore down.

PERIOD.

EOS!

Rjk
Username: Rjk

Post Number: 784
Posted on Wednesday, July 25, 2007 - 6:25 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Ernie has too much class to be involved in something like this. Maybe if one of the city council wanted to meet with him in private without any press coverage he'd probably agree to it. Something like this places too much importance on Ernie's opinion and that's not what he's about.

The_rock
Username: The_rock

Post Number: 1854
Posted on Wednesday, July 25, 2007 - 8:50 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Poor Martha--still trying to look/act like the Martha of 40 years ago. Talk about an ill-fated attempt at publicity.
Ernie has been previously interviewed and quoted on WWJ radio as to his thoughts on Tiger Stadium.
Move on, Martha. There are so many real issues facing this city that your attempt at grabbing 11th hour headlines is a disservice to Detroit.
Go see Sunset Blvd. That's you, baby. Time to move on to more pressing matters.

321brian
Username: 321brian

Post Number: 398
Posted on Wednesday, July 25, 2007 - 10:22 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The Kagan part of the story is priceless.

The City Council wants an in person apology from him? The written one wasn't good enough?

In that case they should be going door to door in Detroit and apologizing to every taxpayer for lying about caring about them and their needs.

Royce
Username: Royce

Post Number: 2322
Posted on Thursday, July 26, 2007 - 1:42 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Regarding the cut in property taxes in the enterprise zones, what do they mean apply by Oct. 1st?

Bumble
Username: Bumble

Post Number: 261
Posted on Thursday, July 26, 2007 - 7:53 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

It means you should have the application in by 01 October.

Tetsua
Username: Tetsua

Post Number: 1279
Posted on Thursday, July 26, 2007 - 8:47 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

http://www.freep.com/apps/pbcs .dll/article?AID=/20070726/NEW S01/707260426

Looks like Corktown residents will have their say on the matter.

Xd_brklyn
Username: Xd_brklyn

Post Number: 265
Posted on Thursday, July 26, 2007 - 11:06 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The Mayor saying he wants to save a portion of the stadium for a museum and field is a lot more generous towards some sort of preservation than what he was saying previously.

Rbdetsport
Username: Rbdetsport

Post Number: 338
Posted on Thursday, July 26, 2007 - 12:44 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

One of the residents in one of the photo captions asks, "why arent they focusing on that," refering to the MCS. SHE'S RIGHT!

Toolbox
Username: Toolbox

Post Number: 1094
Posted on Thursday, July 26, 2007 - 1:08 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Maybe Martha can dig up Ty Cobb and have his bones rolled by a voodoo priestess to see what he thinks about Tiger Stadium.

She could hold a seance at one of the council meetings with the head of Ted Williams in the center of the table while channeling the greats for their opinion.

How out of touch are these people?

Dustin89
Username: Dustin89

Post Number: 63
Posted on Thursday, July 26, 2007 - 1:48 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

It's unbelievable how wound up you guys are about this. There is nothing wrong with Harwell addressing the city council, or Martha Reeves initiating it. I have no problem with Reeves and she is ahead of the rest of the council in at least one respect-she often has a positive attitude. Besides, Kilpatrick's plan probably should not be approved wholesale--it's good that it's at least being discussed and debated.

Harpernottingham
Username: Harpernottingham

Post Number: 223
Posted on Thursday, July 26, 2007 - 1:50 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I hear that, Dustin.

Ndavies
Username: Ndavies

Post Number: 2709
Posted on Thursday, July 26, 2007 - 2:06 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

They had some soundbites from Mr. Harwell on the radio yesterday. WWJ had asked for his comments on the subject. He said he would be honored to talk to City council about it.

He then added the Stadium should be torn down. He stated it would cost too much to maintain. A nice plaque or memorial should be put there to commemorate the years that baseball had been played there.

Johnlodge
Username: Johnlodge

Post Number: 1336
Posted on Thursday, July 26, 2007 - 2:08 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

As some additional confusing trivia, Harwell lives in Novi.

Rb336
Username: Rb336

Post Number: 836
Posted on Thursday, July 26, 2007 - 2:20 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I think what the old place's neighbors have to say is THE most important. They will live with it every day. Sometimes it is time to push aside sentimentality for progress. This is one of those times. Bringing in Ernie is nothing but a sentimental ploy