Discuss Detroit » Hall of Fame Threads » Detnews: Det close to snagging Quicken » Quicken Consolidated Archive » Archive through July 25, 2007 « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Livernoisyard
Username: Livernoisyard

Post Number: 3506
Posted on Wednesday, July 25, 2007 - 4:53 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

At least something will come to Detroit.

Kid_dynamite
Username: Kid_dynamite

Post Number: 160
Posted on Wednesday, July 25, 2007 - 4:54 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I believe the current lease for Livonia ends in 2009.

Rbdetsport
Username: Rbdetsport

Post Number: 328
Posted on Wednesday, July 25, 2007 - 4:55 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Detroitrulez, Jt1 said it was a joke. At least I can say I was not the only one to fall for his prank.

Urbanize
Username: Urbanize

Post Number: 1827
Posted on Wednesday, July 25, 2007 - 4:57 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"RB - I was kidding. I figured more people would bite."

Don't kid about things like that. You would just Jynx the whole sitiation.

If anything, you need to be saying that Quicken will be moving Downtown onto the Statler Site and plans to begin building in the Spring of '08.

Detroitrulez
Username: Detroitrulez

Post Number: 312
Posted on Wednesday, July 25, 2007 - 4:59 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

eh...right.....but I still want to see the lego mockup (and I suspect a certain Mr. Daniel Gilbert does as well). take it away Gisty!

Rbdetsport
Username: Rbdetsport

Post Number: 329
Posted on Wednesday, July 25, 2007 - 5:07 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

If the current lease ends in 2009, don't you think that Quicken would want to get started as soon as possible?

Kid_dynamite

Post Number: 161
Posted on Wednesday, July 25, 2007 - 5:12 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

It will need an extension...the lease here at the Troy building goes until 2010

Urbanize

Post Number: 1828
Posted on Wednesday, July 25, 2007 - 5:17 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

A Spring '08 start would be perfect. The project would be a bit rushed, but generally it won't be too bad since the weather will be much more tranquil instead of getting started in the dead of winter.

Thejesus
Username: Thejesus

Post Number: 1689
Posted on Wednesday, July 25, 2007 - 5:20 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

is that begining, middle or end of 2009? anyone know?

Urbanize

Post Number: 1830
Posted on Wednesday, July 25, 2007 - 5:29 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Quozl, you're joking. You have no proof of this.

You really had me for a quick second.

Lmichigan
Username: Lmichigan

Post Number: 5842
Posted on Wednesday, July 25, 2007 - 6:15 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Ha!

Gistok
Username: Gistok

Post Number: 4938
Posted on Wednesday, July 25, 2007 - 6:25 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Wait a minute... I thought Lowell's Farmington Hills source was the "real deal".

This could actually be a brilliant ploy by Dan Gilbert if you think about it.... I wonder which location Quicken's suburban northern, eastern and downriver employees would rather work at... downtown or a nice long commute to Ann Arbor?

Imagine their relief if they found out it was downtown instead of Ann Arbor!

What a brilliant ploy that would be... it would kill 2 birds with 1 stone. More handouts from the city, and a workforce relieved that they don't have to commute all the way to Ann Arbor!!

It ain't over til it's over...

Urbanize

Post Number: 1834
Posted on Wednesday, July 25, 2007 - 6:46 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"As for the employees living in Detroit, they can learn to drive out a little bit further down I96/14 if they like receiving a paycheck."

So in other words, you just don't care?

By the way, some may prefer US-23 or I-94.

Quozl
Username: Quozl

Post Number: 1007
Posted on Wednesday, July 25, 2007 - 6:53 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

True, some may prefer US-23 or I-94.

Gistok

Post Number: 4939
Posted on Wednesday, July 25, 2007 - 6:55 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Quozl, sorry but I don't think that most Quicken employees live in those 3 suburbs. Do most Ford employees live in Dearborn? No! Do most GM Tech Center employees live in Warren.. No!

Most employees of any sizeable company in metro Detroit live in scattered locations.

Urbanize

Post Number: 1835
Posted on Wednesday, July 25, 2007 - 7:00 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Gistok is right. What you said Quozl is like saying all the worker from Compuware live Downtown.

That's inaccurate.

Anyway, the reason most would prefer it downtown is because not only would it help in the revitalization of it, but it may also promote more regional cooperation and centralization instead of placing in WAY out in A2.

Lmichigan
Username: Lmichigan

Post Number: 5843
Posted on Wednesday, July 25, 2007 - 7:08 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Quozl, how can you even say Lowell's "bird has no feathers", as if your information is so much more reliable?

Kid_dynamite

Post Number: 162
Posted on Wednesday, July 25, 2007 - 7:37 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Quozl knows very little...most of us are not living in those cities. Trust me...there is ZERO chance of Ann Arbor. None. Drop that discussion.

(Message edited by kid dynamite on July 25, 2007)

Mackinaw
Username: Mackinaw

Post Number: 3352
Posted on Wednesday, July 25, 2007 - 7:45 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I obviously don't believe it, but it would a lot more sense to me that a move to Farmington Hills.

If they built a high rise in downtown A2 I would be 99 percent disappointed and 1 percent happy. Other than that, anywhere outside Detroit is 100 percent disappointing.

Mdoyle
Username: Mdoyle

Post Number: 149
Posted on Wednesday, July 25, 2007 - 9:45 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

RE: NMRA. Ill also be there displaying my little block of Detroit inspired retail buildings.

Scs100
Username: Scs100

Post Number: 1266
Posted on Wednesday, July 25, 2007 - 9:48 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

FYI: The brick on the UA is being stripped on the west side of the building. This definitely adds on to what is happening in that area.

Urbanize

Post Number: 1844
Posted on Wednesday, July 25, 2007 - 9:52 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Didn't Ilitch mention something about stripping the building a while back for some type of project?

I don't think the UA work has anything to do with Quicken.

Downtown_remix
Username: Downtown_remix

Post Number: 437
Posted on Wednesday, July 25, 2007 - 9:59 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

it has plenty to do wit quicken

Urbanize

Post Number: 1846
Posted on Wednesday, July 25, 2007 - 10:00 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"it has plenty to do wit quicken"

What is that?

Mackinaw
Username: Mackinaw

Post Number: 3354
Posted on Wednesday, July 25, 2007 - 10:06 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The rumor is that the UA's facade will be preserved, but behind that it will basically be rebuilt.

Scs100
Username: Scs100

Post Number: 1267
Posted on Wednesday, July 25, 2007 - 10:07 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Ok. I just saw that most of the bricks above the base facade were gone.

Mdoyle
Username: Mdoyle

Post Number: 150
Posted on Wednesday, July 25, 2007 - 10:24 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"The rumor is that the UA's facade will be preserved, but behind that it will basically be rebuilt"

Mackinaw are you sure you arent thinking of the fine arts building? Another Ilitch owned building

Eric
Username: Eric

Post Number: 905
Posted on Wednesday, July 25, 2007 - 10:33 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

It's the Fine Arts that's planned for a facadectomy. It's not even practical for a building the size of the UA

3rdworldcity
Username: 3rdworldcity

Post Number: 809
Posted on Wednesday, July 25, 2007 - 10:41 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Quozi: Miller-Canfield also represents Ilitch.

I'm not sure but I think that Pfizer sold a lot of that 177 acres to U of M. In any case, the land acquisition cost would be far higher in AA than in Detroit.

It doesn't make sense to me but you never know.

Tell us the name of the lead MC lawyer on the deal and I'll be in a good position to judge the validity of your prediction. Your secretary friends should be able to get you the name. The name of the MC 2nd chair would help as well.

Gistok

Post Number: 4940
Posted on Wednesday, July 25, 2007 - 10:41 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

We have to remember that in the 1990's some of the brickwork on the Clifford side of the United Artists Building came loose and fell off, showering brickwork onto some parked cars (it wasn't just a brick or two). Luckily no one was killed or injured.

Perhaps 20 years of no heat in the building (since circa 1973) somehow weakened the facade in some way that I am no expert in (water seepage & thaw/freeze cycle?).

But I do recall that after that incident that the one block stretch of Clifford between W. Adams and Bagley Ave. was closed with barricades for many months back then.

The entire facade of brickwork may have to be replaced or re-attached in some fashion, but again I'm no engineer or expert in the field.

Just take that for what it's worth...