Discuss Detroit » Hall of Fame Threads » Tigers Stadium to be Demolished...Finally » Tiger Stadium « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Rfick42
Username: Rfick42

Post Number: 1
Posted on Sunday, July 29, 2007 - 7:00 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I miss the inside of this place...I drive and walk by it and all I want to do is go inside and sit in a seat for an hour and reminisce - are they ever going to let people back in without jumping the fence with some lockcutters? are there tours or any plans for them?

Thejesus
Username: Thejesus

Post Number: 1710
Posted on Sunday, July 29, 2007 - 9:04 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

yes, there have been mentions of a plan to let the public tour the stadium before it's demolished...and city council would never hear the end of it if they didn't give the public one last look

Wilus1mj
Username: Wilus1mj

Post Number: 208
Posted on Tuesday, July 31, 2007 - 8:58 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Ernie's got a plan....lets see if he can get any financing??

http://www.detnews.com/apps/pb cs.dll/article?AID=/20070731/M ETRO/707310358&theme=Metro-Sta diums&imw=Y

Scottr
Username: Scottr

Post Number: 638
Posted on Tuesday, July 31, 2007 - 10:24 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

If anyone can at this point, it's him. To most of us, I would think his voice and the stadium almost go hand in hand. When everyone else has failed, perhaps that sentimentality will work for something.

I'm not holding my breath though, it's still a lot of money to come up with. Best of luck to him though.

Jt1
Username: Jt1

Post Number: 9664
Posted on Tuesday, July 31, 2007 - 10:35 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

Harwell and his longtime friend and attorney, S. Gary Spicer, told the mayor that within a 24-hour period they received commitments they believe will total $300,000 -- enough to pay the stadium's $25,000 monthly maintenance bill for one year.

Yippee, they can afford to keep it it in its current shape for another year.

quote:

Three weeks ago, Rick Ruffner wrote a letter to the city about moving his company headquarters from downtown to a retrofitted Tiger Stadium site -- if it were not totally demolished.

Where has he been the last 7-8 years if he was so concerned. His claim is absolute non-sense. City council should call him out on it.

quote:

Spicer said he and Harwell plan to meet with Wall Street financiers over the next 10 days in an attempt to cobble together the $15 million to $20 million they think their plan will cost. It includes preserving 10,000 seats for a ballfield, lofts, stores and music and sports museums.

So again, why didn't they address this over the last 8 years?

quote:

The duo said that over the past four days, they've received countless e-mails and phone calls from people who pledged their financial support if Harwell and Spicer took the lead. They did not name those parties on Monday.

Everyone seems to make these claims but the money is always 'on the way.'

If all of these people cared so much they would have done something earlier. The simple fact is that they will not get the financing (just like the others who claimed they couldf) and this non-sense will continue on for a longer period of time.

I respect Ernie Harwell for his role in baseball but he brings 0 development and financial credibility just like the people before him.

Waz
Username: Waz

Post Number: 138
Posted on Tuesday, July 31, 2007 - 1:04 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Amen, jt1