Archive through August 06, 2007Mauser76529 08-06-07  2:19 pm
Archive through August 07, 2007Mackinaw30 08-07-07  9:36 am
Archive through August 13, 2007Applesauce30 08-13-07  10:41 am
Archive through August 28, 2007Reetz1229 08-28-07  9:24 pm
Archive through September 13, 2007Mauser76530 09-13-07  2:56 pm
Archive through October 09, 2007Reetz1230 10-09-07  3:48 pm
Archive through November 28, 2007Reetz1230 11-28-07  3:14 pm
Archive through December 17, 2007Applesauce30 12-17-07  2:37 pm
  ClosedNew threads cannot be started on this page. The threads above are previous posts made to this thread.        

Top of pageBottom of page

7_and_kelly_kid
Username: 7_and_kelly_kid

Post Number: 26
Posted on Monday, December 17, 2007 - 2:46 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

hey...........nobody confirmed I'm rite about chatham Village.........Mike you may have me on the original though..............was it pollas?..........I could ask you for the mgr.s name but....................and Pgn421........c'mon down to Rosewood..........more later

Pgn421
Username: Pgn421

Post Number: 249
Posted on Monday, December 17, 2007 - 5:28 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

7andkelly? rosewood or Billeos? there is adifference, stopped at Candelite today,

Postbop
Username: Postbop

Post Number: 25
Posted on Monday, December 17, 2007 - 6:50 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I don't think you can see Chathams from this pic, but is still a pretty cool view of Kelly Rd.

Postbop

Post Number: 26
Posted on Monday, December 17, 2007 - 6:52 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Does anyone know what year they finished I-94, north of 8 mile, and what the area was like before it?

7_and_kelly_kid
Username: 7_and_kelly_kid

Post Number: 33
Posted on Tuesday, December 18, 2007 - 1:50 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

KR...........looking at the pic of Kelly Rd. tells me the original Chathams' was where Alcomo's hall is......(oh oh I'm going to have to change my posting on the Heilman thread to Aldos"

Gistok
Username: Gistok

Post Number: 5924
Posted on Tuesday, December 18, 2007 - 2:43 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I remember going to Chatham #1 store as a little kid in the early 1960's. It was located just a few blocks west of the Vegas Supermarket. Can't remember it's exact location though. It was much smaller than most other Chatham stores, and closed in the mid 1960's.

Chatham #2 was located near where Kelly ended at Hayes. Chatham #7 was located at 8 Mile & Gratiot, and Chatham #8 was located at Morang & Kelly.

IIRC, the Chatham that later became the Vegas Supermarket was Chatham #5, not the original one.

They expanded I-94 from 8 Mile northward circa 1962-63.

Applesauce
Username: Applesauce

Post Number: 126
Posted on Tuesday, December 18, 2007 - 4:20 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I recall a Chatham on Houston-Whittier/Kelly, not Morang.

Postbop

Post Number: 27
Posted on Tuesday, December 18, 2007 - 7:16 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thanks Gistok

Dave70
Username: Dave70

Post Number: 24
Posted on Tuesday, December 18, 2007 - 7:43 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

There was a Chatham on Morang & Kelly, it was the one my family shopped. We lived on Riad, just a couple blocks away.

Applesauce

Post Number: 127
Posted on Wednesday, December 19, 2007 - 9:20 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Dont remember that one. We lived on Laing near Yorkshire & shopped at the Kelly/Whittier location.
Also, loved having Towne Club, Lawsons & Dino's Pizza at Laing/Whittier.

Dave70
Username: Dave70

Post Number: 25
Posted on Wednesday, December 19, 2007 - 6:54 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I remember those shops over there. ;) Didn't go to those much though a friend always had the case of Towne Club.

Danny
Username: Danny

Post Number: 6898
Posted on Wednesday, December 19, 2007 - 8:21 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Postbop,

The I-94 FWY. was started as the Willow Run FWY. It went from the Ford Willow Run Plant to the Metro Airport in September of 1942. By July of 1943 The Detroit Industrial Freeway ran from Metro-Airport to Michigan Ave. to transport Military surplus and workers during WWII. The Edsel Ford FWY was completed from 1951 to 1955 and it reached the Lodge FWY. The last stretch of the Edsel Ford FWY was completed in 1959 and it ran to Port Huron.

NOTE: It one time all of the Metro-Detroit was proposed to have a light rail transit lines in the middle of the FWY. But it was cancelled because the U.S. government will not pay for its construction, only for FWY construction.

Danny
Username: Danny

Post Number: 6899
Posted on Thursday, December 20, 2007 - 8:44 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Its so sad that half of Harper Rd. business district had to be torn down for the FWY. I wish the FWY. construction workers divert the FWY. to curve up to the industrial areas up on City of Warren and curve a right turn to other underdeveloped areas of Roseville, Clinton TWP, Macomb TWP. and all the way up to Port Huron.

Applesauce

Post Number: 128
Posted on Thursday, December 20, 2007 - 8:49 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I discovered a little market in A2 that sells the new ver of Towne Club, its not bad!

Meaghansdad
Username: Meaghansdad

Post Number: 209
Posted on Tuesday, January 15, 2008 - 9:34 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I've been going into the new high school for swim lessons with my kid. Those kids are tearing the place up. Baseboards scarred. Writing on the wall. Insane!!

Fareastsider
Username: Fareastsider

Post Number: 775
Posted on Tuesday, January 15, 2008 - 9:47 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

It was 1964 when the freeway was completed from about 9 mile to Port Huron. If you look at the aerials from SCS and Roseville on the DTE old photos you can see the line of torn down homes where the freeway will go I believe it is the 1961 photos.

Pgn421

Post Number: 277
Posted on Wednesday, January 16, 2008 - 6:47 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

MEAGHaNSDAD- do they have open swim at the new high school?

Norwalk
Username: Norwalk

Post Number: 170
Posted on Wednesday, January 16, 2008 - 7:46 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yes, My son graduated in 2001 from the old Harper Highschool. He went to visit an old teacher and to check out the new school and he made the same comment about the school looking beat up already

Applesauce

Post Number: 129
Posted on Wednesday, January 16, 2008 - 11:53 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Wow, really, already?? My son plays floor hockey over there, but I havent been inside yet. I hope they take action soon.

Al_t_publican
Username: Al_t_publican

Post Number: 208
Posted on Wednesday, January 16, 2008 - 12:22 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

What became of James Haley the former principal of HW Jr High in the 60s and later the mayor of HW? Also, does anyone remember Ron Western the HW cop who was the coach of the 1988 HW Little League team that won the state championship? I never did get a clear answer on what sort of sentence he received over his misconduct with Little Leaguers.

Mauser765
Username: Mauser765

Post Number: 2349
Posted on Thursday, January 17, 2008 - 6:15 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Anybody go to the Kucinich rally at the HW Community Center Monday ? It was past capacity by about 150 people. The police had to lock the doors. I was there for work, but it was still an interesting event. Cool to have any of the people in this race visit Harper Woods.

Mauser765

Post Number: 2350
Posted on Thursday, January 17, 2008 - 6:22 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Text description

Text description

Margarite
Username: Margarite

Post Number: 55
Posted on Thursday, January 17, 2008 - 12:15 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I was there! I was pretty impressed by the man and the turnout. Got there just past 6:30 and snagged an aisle seat in the second row. I wasn't going to vote in the primary even after the rally but on Tuesday found a website that lists the candidates stands on animal welfare issues and decided to vote for Kucinich. Of course, he doesn't have a snowball's chance for the presidency but it felt a lot better than not voting at all or being "uncommitted".

Applesauce

Post Number: 130
Posted on Monday, January 21, 2008 - 12:05 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yeah, as I got off the freeway after work I noticed his bus parked in front of the Comm Center & the place was jammed. I do remember thinking it was extraordinary having presidential candidates visit our little town.

Meaghansdad

Post Number: 211
Posted on Monday, January 21, 2008 - 2:07 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yea, they've got open swim. They also have a TON of teenagers running about, milling in the hallways, cursing, pants hanging off of their asses.

Mauser765

Post Number: 2357
Posted on Monday, January 21, 2008 - 7:54 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"cursing, pants hanging off of their asses."

Hahahahaha ! Gawd I hate that.

Pgn421

Post Number: 287
Posted on Tuesday, January 22, 2008 - 8:45 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thats what i figured! Thanks Meaghansdad!

Applesauce

Post Number: 131
Posted on Tuesday, January 22, 2008 - 9:55 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Guess we wont be signing up for swim.

Pgn421

Post Number: 291
Posted on Tuesday, January 22, 2008 - 1:51 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Applesauce!- Nope.

Meaghansdad

Post Number: 215
Posted on Tuesday, January 22, 2008 - 10:34 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

If I hadnt paid for the entire season, I'd have never stayed for the first lesson. The behavior of some of those kids are deplorable.

Eastsidedame
Username: Eastsidedame

Post Number: 192
Posted on Thursday, January 24, 2008 - 3:44 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

1964 seems too for the completion of the freeway past Vernier. I remember trips to Warren and back that would involve getting off at Vernier and driving west to Gratiot, Hoover or Schoenherr. Once the freeway was finished, I realized what a time-saver it was.

Applesauce

Post Number: 135
Posted on Thursday, January 31, 2008 - 9:55 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

bump

Applesauce

Post Number: 136
Posted on Thursday, January 31, 2008 - 10:05 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I finally got to see the new HS as I registered my son for HWLL this past Saturday. Although, I only saw the main lobby, it did look very nice. Some of the people were talking about how they are going to build an outdoor ice rink in the next few years.

Billyg
Username: Billyg

Post Number: 4
Posted on Friday, February 01, 2008 - 10:39 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

If your a taxpayer in this city and you dont use what the city offers you because you think the kids are out of control then they already won. Its not going to turn around on its own. If people stand up for what they believe and the city comes together it will turn around. If everybody turns its back on it then the city doesnt stand a chance. These homes are our investments dont give up. We as a community can change this town but it going to take effort and pride.

Applesauce

Post Number: 138
Posted on Friday, February 01, 2008 - 1:48 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Billyg's got a point. I've been involved in HW Little League for the last 5 years or so & its only as good or strong as it is because of the people/parents. The first few years I thought my son would be better off in the GP little league, but from what I've seen & been involved in, there's no better organization than Harper Woods. The parents genuinely care & volunteer a lot of time to make the league great.

Now, I cant see why this same successful model cant crossover to other areas. I do understand that it starts with me, & thats the challenge. Changing the mindset, starting over, surely a worthy endeavor.

Mauser765

Post Number: 2395
Posted on Friday, February 01, 2008 - 2:21 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

HW didnt cancel school today did they ? I think the Pointes held out, as did Utica Comm. and Warren Con.

Turns out the supers won this gamble, I didnt see any new snow until 2 pm. Wasnt as bad as predicted, but I still question the supers motivation on days like these. To them it is a labor issue, not an educational issue. They want every hour out of their employees basically. There is no one single school day that is EVER worth risking the children or staff safety, let alone clogging roads with buses and parents.

And yeah, I think Billyg has a real good point. Mayhaps we should all start frequenting council meetings as a group.

Dds
Username: Dds

Post Number: 531
Posted on Friday, February 01, 2008 - 2:39 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

let alone clogging roads with buses and parents.

Harper Woods hasn't bussed their students for at least 8 years.

Applesauce

Post Number: 140
Posted on Friday, February 01, 2008 - 3:32 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

He did mention Utica & Warren which do bus.

Mauser765

Post Number: 2397
Posted on Friday, February 01, 2008 - 4:27 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Utica Community Schools has a large volume of buses. Way to pick gnat shit outta pepper there, Dds.

fudgie.

Goblue
Username: Goblue

Post Number: 1057
Posted on Friday, February 01, 2008 - 8:25 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Mauser: Trust me on this one...as a retired supt. with experience in MI, IN , AL, & AK...calling a snow day is an absolutely lose-lose decision...I've called them right..and wrong..both ways. I guarantee you that the decision is NOT made regarding "labor issues"...whatever the hell that means...the decision is made around 4:00 in the morning based on information received from drivers in the field and the best weather projections we can come up with...on absolutely safety issues...NOTHING more. Your cynicism is misplaced! In short...you don't know what the hell you're talking about!

Lafontaine
Username: Lafontaine

Post Number: 13
Posted on Friday, February 01, 2008 - 8:34 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The segment of I-94 just north of 8 Mile opened in 1966.

This is from michiganhighways.org:
1966 - An additional 7 miles of I-94 is opened from M-29/M-102/Vernier Rd in Harper Woods to the end of the completed freeway in St Clair Shores at Masonic. Any "TO I-94" designation along US-25/Gratiot Ave is removed.

http://www.michiganhighways.or g/listings/MichHwys90-99.html# I-094

Meaghansdad

Post Number: 219
Posted on Friday, February 01, 2008 - 9:58 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

GoBlue
Well then y did Detroit wait until 7am to call school?

Goblue

Post Number: 1058
Posted on Saturday, February 02, 2008 - 1:58 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Meagh: Sorry...DPS is another world...I have no idea what their decision making process might be...probably about the same as any other large bureaucracy...obviously, if they waited until 7:00 A.M. to get the info on the radio somebody was asleep. The largest district I ever managed was around 40,000 kids (about 75 schools)...in that one the decision was made no later than 5:00 A.M....sometimes wrong...most of the time right. Like I said...its a hellish decision most of the time...I remember one day when I decided to stay open...and all other districts around me closed...usually we tried to make group decisions but that added even more complications...in that one case I got it right...by 9:00 it was sunny and the temp got up to 50 that day...whatever though...safety of kids was the driving issue...but we also worried a lot about single parents and how kids would be cared when we closed unexpectedly.

Meaghansdad

Post Number: 221
Posted on Saturday, February 02, 2008 - 2:16 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

PArental worries are paramount, glad to hear it is a consideration.

Goblue

Post Number: 1070
Posted on Saturday, February 02, 2008 - 8:51 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Meaghan: To tell the truth I am real glad that I am retired from having to make those kinds of decisions.

Since this is a Harper Woods thread I would point out that very early in my career we lived on Lochmoor...a couple of blocks west of I-94...I was working in Warren Wds. at the time.

Mauser765

Post Number: 2408
Posted on Sunday, February 03, 2008 - 11:17 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Well GoBlue, I am speaking from the other end of the bargaining table. Tell me there is not an adversarial relationship between administration and teachers. Thats all I mean by "labor".

Again, no single school day is ever worth risking anybodies safety, and supers insist on making it such a dramatic decision. Just my biased point of view, not really anything to debate.

Mauser765

Post Number: 2409
Posted on Sunday, February 03, 2008 - 11:20 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Back to HWs - I think we should find out about all these rumors of athletic facilities or recreation facilities etc. If anybody knows a person with inside info, please ask them. I know somebody, and I will ask her to check into the citys plans for the park and the old school parcel.

Goblue

Post Number: 1082
Posted on Sunday, February 03, 2008 - 7:45 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Mauser: Well...the relationship was adversarial at times...but, I sat across the table from some real union professionals...twice that I can think of they helped me fire tenured teachers who had no business being in the same room with a kid. I tried to be fair at the table...keeping myself...and the union folks...mindful that pigs get fat and hogs get slaughtered. The union leaders who were classroom teachers and not union professionals were far less easy to work with...they tended to not understand that it could be a win-win situation...and unfortunately they also tended to be rather weak teachers.

I'm not certain what you mean by "dramatic decision"...at 4:00 in the morning while trying to figure out what the roads are like and how the projected forecast plays into the picture nothing is "dramatic"...certainly not while everyone else, except those working on the decision, is sound asleep!

I'm almost 40 years removed from living in HW...so I'll let ya'll get back to the main point of this thread.

Mauser765

Post Number: 2412
Posted on Sunday, February 03, 2008 - 8:21 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Anyway - back to HWs.

Meaghansdad

Post Number: 228
Posted on Sunday, February 03, 2008 - 11:08 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

My sons piano teacher is Pro-Tem on City Counsel. I hadn't thought to ask her. I'll do so at his next lesson.

Dds
Username: Dds

Post Number: 533
Posted on Monday, February 04, 2008 - 8:24 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

Utica Community Schools has a large volume of buses. Way to pick gnat shit outta pepper there, Dds.

fudgie.

Fine for Utica. And I was talking about Harper Woods. The topic of this thread. Don't get your underwear in a bunch because I was clarifying a statement you made that a majority of the forum readers (who haven't a clue about Harper Woods) could have misconstrued because you listed two districts with busing and two without.

Anyway - back to HW.

Applesauce

Post Number: 141
Posted on Monday, February 04, 2008 - 10:36 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Anyone know what the heck's goin on with the Shore's
Theater? Its been closed for a few years now.

Applesauce

Post Number: 146
Posted on Friday, March 14, 2008 - 7:26 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Got my assessment in the mail............ it actually dropped.

Postbop

Post Number: 123
Posted on Saturday, June 28, 2008 - 4:06 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Can someone tell me what year the Parkcrest Motel opened?

Denbytar64
Username: Denbytar64

Post Number: 106
Posted on Tuesday, January 27, 2009 - 6:30 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Postbop, do not know what year it opened, but we use to go their for breakfast. My Fathers office was the last office building before Regina High School. This was in the late 60's.

12468_laing
Username: 12468_laing

Post Number: 367
Posted on Wednesday, January 28, 2009 - 3:45 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Postbop, I know for pretty sure it was there in the early 60's - my father worked at Fruehauf, and many of their visitors stayed there.

Mikem
Username: Mikem

Post Number: 1887
Posted on Thursday, January 29, 2009 - 9:21 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

It is listed in a 1961 phone book I have, and my relatives seem to think it was built in the late 1950s.

Add Your Message Here
Only registered users may post messages on the DetroitYES forums. To register click the JOIN button on the Forum Menu at https://www.detroityes.com to obtain a free account.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action: