Discuss Detroit » Hall of Fame Threads » Detnews: Det close to snagging Quicken » Quicken Consolidated Archive » Archive through August 02, 2007 « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Johnlodge
Username: Johnlodge

Post Number: 1448
Posted on Wednesday, August 01, 2007 - 4:44 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The number 1 hit on Google when searching "Quicken Announcement"?

I guess it shouldn't be surprising.

Urbanize
Username: Urbanize

Post Number: 2000
Posted on Wednesday, August 01, 2007 - 4:54 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Not Really. DD is one of the top hits for anything (whether it's Google, MSN or Yahoo) that you search about Detroit.

Chow
Username: Chow

Post Number: 403
Posted on Wednesday, August 01, 2007 - 6:15 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

If you ask the construction workers at the UA site what they are working on, they'll say nothing. If you get to know them and give them some beers, they are quick to say they are renovating the UA Building for Quicken.

Just something to think about.

Mackinaw
Username: Mackinaw

Post Number: 3441
Posted on Wednesday, August 01, 2007 - 6:19 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Is the Freedom of Information Act applicable on any documents related to transactions (i.e. hiring a construction company) related to the UA work?

Johnlodge

Post Number: 1457
Posted on Wednesday, August 01, 2007 - 6:24 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Probably, but by the time you receive the information I bet the news will be out. FOIA requests are required to be responded to within twenty-business days, but that response does not necessarily have to be the information you requested. It may simply be acknowledgement of your request and a notice that the request may take more time to fulfill.

Dds
Username: Dds

Post Number: 296
Posted on Wednesday, August 01, 2007 - 6:28 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

If you ask the construction workers at the UA site what they are working on, they'll say nothing. If you get to know them and give them some beers, they are quick to say they are renovating the UA Building for Quicken.

Just something to think about.

To paraphrase Reservoir Dogs: If you give a construction worker enough beer, he'll tell you if he wears women's underwear. Big deal.

Livernoisyard
Username: Livernoisyard

Post Number: 3579
Posted on Wednesday, August 01, 2007 - 6:32 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

There's certainly no rush at all on Quicken's part to do anything.

Its Livonia lease isn't up until 2010, possibly 2009. And QL could easily get an extension for about as long or as short as it wants. What choice would the owner of that property have during a very soft real-estate market?

Johnlodge

Post Number: 1460
Posted on Wednesday, August 01, 2007 - 6:36 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I expect the official announcement to be made at a major Detroit event, with Kwame and Gilbert together and plenty of news crews around. So what's coming up? The Thanksgiving Day Parade.

Livernoisyard
Username: Livernoisyard

Post Number: 3580
Posted on Wednesday, August 01, 2007 - 6:38 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

A watched pot never...

Urbanize

Post Number: 2001
Posted on Wednesday, August 01, 2007 - 6:42 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"I expect the official announcement to be made at a major Detroit event, with Kwame and Gilbert together and plenty of news crews around. So what's coming up? The Thanksgiving Day Parade."

The Rib and Soul Fest Is This Weekend, but I guess that's not a "Major Event" in certain categories.

Johnlodge

Post Number: 1461
Posted on Wednesday, August 01, 2007 - 6:44 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Jazzfest is coming too, but the Thanksgiving Parade somewhat overshadows all of that. If there's one thing Detroit does BIG it's the Thanksgiving parade!

PS "Hob Nobble Gobble" still makes me chuckle.

Wschnitt
Username: Wschnitt

Post Number: 26
Posted on Wednesday, August 01, 2007 - 6:47 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Chow,

Did you actually buy beers for construction workers?

Billk
Username: Billk

Post Number: 60
Posted on Wednesday, August 01, 2007 - 7:03 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

In regards to using FOIA to obtain copies of work permits, I would guess none exist at this time. If this work is being at the mayors behest, I think his way of getting things done is, do it first and worry about the paperwork later.

Billk
Username: Billk

Post Number: 63
Posted on Wednesday, August 01, 2007 - 7:05 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Oh, by the way, they are resurfacing Park and Adams streets around grand circus park. Spiffing the place up for a photo op, maybe?

Jasoncw
Username: Jasoncw

Post Number: 406
Posted on Wednesday, August 01, 2007 - 8:20 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

They've been redoing the downtown streetscapes for a few years now, and it's probably a part of that. New streetscapes isn't a spur of the moment thing I don't think.

3rdworldcity
Username: 3rdworldcity

Post Number: 834
Posted on Wednesday, August 01, 2007 - 11:08 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The Whitney is owned by Becker Ventures in Troy. Charles Becker is a Grosse Pointer who has made a ton of money in various businesses, including Hard Rock Hotels. A few years ago a retired GM exec bought the Whitney for a reported $7 million. Hard to believe anyone could be so stupid. Could or could not be true. I have no idea what Becker paid for it. When asked what was going on there recently, Becker's real estate guy told an associate of mine that the building was in the process of being sold and that there were two prospective buyers. The asking price is very high and I'm not going to post it here. Believe it? I rarely believe anything I hear any more, but you've heard the official line.

Here is what a FOIA Request would show re: the UA.

As of yesterday, Neither Olympia, Beal, Spider, or anyone else has pulled any kind of a permit for the work going on at the UA.

In Feb. 'O7 the Building and Safety Engineering Dept. issued a "Correction Order" requiring Olympia to obtain a "Certificate of Compliance" for the building. That's a big deal for an office building owner. Olympia was to have done whatever work was necessary to have brought the building into compliance before April 8, '07. It had as of yesterday not complied and has not been given an extension.

Inquiries were made by a citizen to the BASE Dept. in late June demanding to know why work was going on w/o permits. No response.

The next day a BASE inspector inspected the UA and issued a - I can't remember the title of the demand - but let's say it was another correction order. Olympia was required to provide to the City by July 7th a complete disclosure of the nature and extent of the work going on there in order for the City to determine whether permits were required. As of yesterday no report had been filed as ordered.

The City reports that there is nothing in the files of the Planning Dept relating to the UA Building. No correspondence or any other communications between the City and Olympia or any of its affiliates, including notes of verbal conversations.

This is what was disclosed pursuant to a FOIA request filed in late June. Does the City take its disclosure obligations seriously? Hell no. But I do believe there is nothing else in the BASE Dept files re: the building.

No other building owner in the City can act with impugnity and in total disregard of its obligations set forth in City Rules, Regulations and Ordinances as does Ilitch. Would I conduct myself as Ilitch does given the opportunity? Sure would.

(Message edited by 3rdworldcity on August 01, 2007)

Mackinaw
Username: Mackinaw

Post Number: 3442
Posted on Thursday, August 02, 2007 - 1:21 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thanks for that info.

Thejesus
Username: Thejesus

Post Number: 1736
Posted on Thursday, August 02, 2007 - 9:48 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Wow...all this speculation...I'm afraid that Dan Gilbert is simply not going to be able to live up to all of your expectations...

You all seem to EXPECT him to:

Build at least a 50 story tower on the statler site
Rennovate the UA
Rennovate the Whitney
Rennovate the MCS
Turn Trolley Plaza into corporate suites
Fix Up the street scape around GCP
Install a Macy's in his new office tower, along with a Cheesecake Factory
Install a mass transit system for downtown

Did I miss anything?

And the worst part is, if and when he finally announces that he's simply planning to build a 10-15 story building on the statler site, I worry that you're all going to bash him for "strining us along" with all these other expectations when in fact all this stuff was 100% created in the minds of DY members...

Johnlodge

Post Number: 1472
Posted on Thursday, August 02, 2007 - 9:50 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I don't think you can take every single thing every person has said, put them all together, and say we ALL think he's going to do ALL those things. :-)

Johnlodge

Post Number: 1473
Posted on Thursday, August 02, 2007 - 9:51 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

BTW you forgot we all think he's going to turn Belle Isle into an amusement park.

Jt1
Username: Jt1

Post Number: 9674
Posted on Thursday, August 02, 2007 - 9:54 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I also expect him to offer 0% mortgages to all people moving to Detroit for the next 10 years. :-)

He doesn't need to make business decisions based upon business.

Harmonie
Username: Harmonie

Post Number: 716
Posted on Thursday, August 02, 2007 - 9:57 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

There's a small chance he'll announce tonight. There's an Quicken, etc. all staff party/meeting thing tonight at Elysium. Apparently, all the big whigs that come into town for these things are staying in Detroit for the first time as well.

Whether it's 15 or 50, if he builds downtown the effects are going to be very positive in more ways than one.

Dnvn522
Username: Dnvn522

Post Number: 257
Posted on Thursday, August 02, 2007 - 10:03 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'd much rather have a new 15 story building WITH a restored UA building, than a new 50 story building and have the UA continue to rot.

Thejesus
Username: Thejesus

Post Number: 1737
Posted on Thursday, August 02, 2007 - 10:04 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"Whether it's 15 or 50, if he builds downtown the effects are going to be very positive in more ways than one."

I agree!

Detroitrulez
Username: Detroitrulez

Post Number: 321
Posted on Thursday, August 02, 2007 - 10:13 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hopefully the Quicken "big whigs" [sic], and Tories for that matter, will set off on foot after the Elysium party and explore the over 100 bars, restaurants and entertainment options within easy walking distance. Let's get out and show them a bustling and vibrant downtown!

Quozl
Username: Quozl

Post Number: 1086
Posted on Thursday, August 02, 2007 - 10:20 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Harmonie wrote:
quote:

There's a small chance he'll announce tonight. There's an Quicken, etc. all staff party/meeting thing tonight at Elysium. Apparently, all the big whigs that come into town for these things are staying in Detroit for the first time as well.

Whether it's 15 or 50, if he builds downtown the effects are going to be very positive in more ways than one.

I hope you are correct Harmonie, the suspense is killing me, I can barely sleep and eat .

Iheartthed
Username: Iheartthed

Post Number: 1265
Posted on Thursday, August 02, 2007 - 10:31 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

There's an Quicken, etc. all staff party/meeting thing tonight at Elysium.

I bet that's gonna be a nice party. My invite must have gotten lost in the mail...

ETA: I want the CEO of my company to be someone that hosts staff meetings at a posh night club.

(Message edited by iheartthed on August 02, 2007)

Urbanize

Post Number: 2013
Posted on Thursday, August 02, 2007 - 10:36 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"I bet that's gonna be a nice party. My invite must have gotten lost in the mail..."

Do like any other bogardish person would do, invite yourself and say that Dan Gilbert invited you personally.

(Message edited by Urbanize on August 02, 2007)

Iheartthed
Username: Iheartthed

Post Number: 1266
Posted on Thursday, August 02, 2007 - 10:39 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"Do like any other bogardish person would do, invite yourself and say that Dan Gilbert invited you personally. "

That would be too obvious. The trick is to stand in the VIP line and listen for names that people ahead of you drop. Then use one of those names when you get to the front of the line...

Detroitrulez
Username: Detroitrulez

Post Number: 322
Posted on Thursday, August 02, 2007 - 10:41 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'm going to hide in the bathroom. Once the party starts, I'll make small talk at the urinal about how great Detroit is. I think this is a totally winning strategy. If anyone has a photo book of the top execs in the Quicken empire that might prove useful.