Discuss Detroit » Hall of Fame Threads » Crane by the united artists building » Archive through June 27, 2007 « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Kid_dynamite
Username: Kid_dynamite

Post Number: 36
Posted on Saturday, June 23, 2007 - 1:26 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I drove by today and saw a crane hoisting things up to the roof of what looked like the United Artists building. Anyone know what they are doing?

Charlottepaul
Username: Charlottepaul

Post Number: 1175
Posted on Saturday, June 23, 2007 - 1:55 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I just picked up on that too in this photo: http://www.flickr.com/photos/b ohemianrobot/602038244/

Bob
Username: Bob

Post Number: 1489
Posted on Saturday, June 23, 2007 - 2:01 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Illich preparing for demolition of another Detroit jewel?

Charlottepaul

Post Number: 1176
Posted on Saturday, June 23, 2007 - 2:02 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Possibly, but why then would you need a crane to hoist things onto the roof? Just implode it.

Scs100
Username: Scs100

Post Number: 1179
Posted on Saturday, June 23, 2007 - 2:03 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I was down there earlier as well. I asked the person who was blocking off Clifford what they were doing and he said they were lifting equipment to the top of the UA. By the looks of it, they are cleaning out the building.

Leland_palmer
Username: Leland_palmer

Post Number: 337
Posted on Saturday, June 23, 2007 - 2:03 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I saw it too, are they securing the facade?

Charlottepaul

Post Number: 1177
Posted on Saturday, June 23, 2007 - 2:10 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"cleaning out the building"
OR
clearing out the building a.k.a. "gutting it"?

Scs100

Post Number: 1180
Posted on Saturday, June 23, 2007 - 2:13 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Heck, they didn't say they were demolishing it. But gutting it sounds about right.

Bob

Post Number: 1490
Posted on Saturday, June 23, 2007 - 2:17 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Maybe they are getting rid of the theater portion and keeping the office building portion.

Johnlodge
Username: Johnlodge

Post Number: 714
Posted on Saturday, June 23, 2007 - 2:20 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Glad something's happening to it. Even if they tear it down. Winds of change are blowing, sacrifices will be made. Fine with me.

Charlottepaul

Post Number: 1179
Posted on Saturday, June 23, 2007 - 2:21 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Interesting thing is, you rarely hear anything about how spectacular the office portion was (or maybe still is). Much more often when people talk about United Artists it is focused on the theatre portion.

Charlottepaul

Post Number: 1180
Posted on Saturday, June 23, 2007 - 2:23 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

sacrifices!!! The building across the street was sacrificed. How many more sacrifices to please the gods of development?????

Johnlodge

Post Number: 715
Posted on Saturday, June 23, 2007 - 2:26 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

But they've been sitting there rotting forever! So many good things have been going on downtown finally, and some of it involves demolition. I love these old buildings and the architecture, but I've been admiring them as carcasses for too long.

Bob

Post Number: 1491
Posted on Saturday, June 23, 2007 - 2:30 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Quicken Loans related?

Scs100

Post Number: 1181
Posted on Saturday, June 23, 2007 - 2:34 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

That's what I was wondering.

Burnsie
Username: Burnsie

Post Number: 1047
Posted on Saturday, June 23, 2007 - 2:39 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Anything lifted *to* the roof is likely part of a mechanism and support structure to ease the cleanout/gutting (buckhoist, chute, etc.) Or maybe the crane is lifting materials to repair holes in the roof. Junk and hazardous things taken *out* of the building would be put into a dumpster on the ground, not lifted to the roof.

Eric
Username: Eric

Post Number: 871
Posted on Saturday, June 23, 2007 - 3:24 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Remember not too long ago it was reported crews for JC Beal's demoltion company where seen there. But they only do interior demolition not entire buildings. Anyone know what company these people are from?

quote:

But they've been sitting there rotting forever! So many good things have been going on downtown finally, and some of it involves demolition. I love these old buildings and the architecture, but I've been admiring them as carcasses for too long.

It's not like Hudson's where building is impossibly huge. Or the Statler where there were questions if it was damaged beyond repair. The UA's office portion is in pretty good condition there's no reason why it can't be reused. Who could've forseen the Book-Cadillac five years ago? Don't be so quick to give up when the building finally has a fighting chance to be reused

(Message edited by eric on June 23, 2007)

(Message edited by eric on June 23, 2007)

Andylinn
Username: Andylinn

Post Number: 428
Posted on Saturday, June 23, 2007 - 3:25 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

in the AIA book on Detroit architecture (American Institute of Architects) they say in the introduction, and I agree with them... that Detroit's real asset as it looks to reviatlize itself (maybe ONLY aside from the water frontage?) is its turn of the century / 1920s architectural stock... the book says it is the "3rd best in the nation" (it may have even said world...) I would assume 3rd after New York and Chicago... The thing is guys... since this was written (2004?) we've lost the statler and madison lennox... and of course, before it was written we lost the Hudsons building... WE CANNOT AFFORD TO LOSE ANYMORE GEMS... they are what make us a beautiful city. tear them down and build some cheap crap and what are we? Arizona? Tigers Stadium and the basically guaranteed loss of MCS is enough. NO MORE.

Johnlodge

Post Number: 719
Posted on Saturday, June 23, 2007 - 3:31 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I don't want to give the wrong impression, I prefer renovation to demolition. But I prefer demolition to letting the building sit there rotting and adding to blight for even more decades to come.

Gistok
Username: Gistok

Post Number: 4649
Posted on Saturday, June 23, 2007 - 3:36 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Charlottepaul, that's because the office portion of the building had much of its' exterior embellishments removed decades ago. Especially the first 3 floors (Corinthian columns and Romanesque arches were all removed).

But the theatre was not remodeled, and still has its Spanish Gothic/Art Deco look, albeit in a deteriorated state.

Gistok

Post Number: 4650
Posted on Saturday, June 23, 2007 - 3:41 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Gotta love double meaning thread titles.

At first it sounded like the architect (C. Howard Crane) was at the United Artists Building.

But they'd have to dig him up in London England first, where he's been buried for the last 55 years.

Psip
Username: Psip

Post Number: 1929
Posted on Saturday, June 23, 2007 - 4:54 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Exactly what I thought when I saw that headline Gistok.

The question is, what are the putting up there? or removing.. Maybe AC units,, high tech scrappers?

Danny
Username: Danny

Post Number: 6096
Posted on Saturday, June 23, 2007 - 5:10 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Illich will not demo the building. He will keep it an "PREMIER DEVELOPMENT OPPORTUNITY". That gentrification talk for a new loft, condos and retail building. The U.A. Building is here to stay.

Gistok

Post Number: 4655
Posted on Sunday, June 24, 2007 - 1:20 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Danny, most of us aren't that optimistic, but I hope you are right!

Emu_steve
Username: Emu_steve

Post Number: 354
Posted on Sunday, June 24, 2007 - 8:03 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Let me toss a curve ball here.

Will all of the new river front condos reduce the possible future demand for lofts such at possible development projects as U.A.?

What I'm getting at does prospective buyer X now choose between say a river front condo, a CBD loft, a mid-town loft, etc.

Maybe there will be more units available then buyers and it would slow development in the CBD? (and makes Danny's thought not realistic?)

(Message edited by emu_steve on June 24, 2007)

Atperry
Username: Atperry

Post Number: 257
Posted on Sunday, June 24, 2007 - 9:20 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

From what we've seen, the developments on the river are skipping a large chunk of the downtown market. That is, they seem to be starting at the top, starting at $300k and up. It also does not appear that there will be all many rental units

I think there is still significant demand in downtown and midtown for the 130 - 280 range. Also, downtown still does not have that many quality options for those who want to rent

Charlottepaul

Post Number: 1188
Posted on Sunday, June 24, 2007 - 9:45 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The demand is there until we hear of a new condo conversion project that doesn't nearly sell out on its opening day for deposits.

Atperry
Username: Atperry

Post Number: 258
Posted on Sunday, June 24, 2007 - 10:05 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I mean, the Detroit Investment fund market study suggested that the downtown alone (between the freeways) has a demand of 1700 units.

I am going to assume that the study is pretty accurate, since the developers and bankers who will rely on it tend not to be easily fooled.

If it is true, that's a whole lot of units. Theoretically you could redo the Broderick, UA, EVERY building on lower Woodward, the Book Tower, The Free Press Building, and you would still have a couple of hundred units to spare

Mackinaw
Username: Mackinaw

Post Number: 3078
Posted on Sunday, June 24, 2007 - 10:10 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Atperry, I agree...more rental apartments, too. Not everything has to be an over-the-top luxury loft rehab with unneccesarily fancy materials. You need more than geriatrics, yuppies, and well-heeled hipsters. If you're aiming for the "creative class," or just young people in general, you need cheaper places and places that allow a person to get up and move, therefore, more rentals. There are a lot of "creative" people we want downtown who aren't making bank.

Bob

Post Number: 1492
Posted on Sunday, June 24, 2007 - 7:34 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Speaking of Broderick, is that project still a go? I would imagine a project like that would take a while to get all the financing in place (ala Book Cadillac).

Apbest
Username: Apbest

Post Number: 569
Posted on Monday, June 25, 2007 - 12:54 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

last I heard they were re-doing the finances due to changing their strategy from apartments. Now they are going to offer the development as for-sale condo's, apparently with construction starting hopefully in early 08

Tetsua
Username: Tetsua

Post Number: 1241
Posted on Monday, June 25, 2007 - 3:04 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Has there been any activity at the UA today?

Billk
Username: Billk

Post Number: 23
Posted on Monday, June 25, 2007 - 3:12 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

There are trucks and cars there most every day.

Dan
Username: Dan

Post Number: 1417
Posted on Monday, June 25, 2007 - 6:51 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

So will the Broderick still be taking advantage of the historic tax credits?

It would be stupid of them not to take advantage of the credits, though the buyers would have to wait 5 years.

How will the change affect the layouts?

Exmotowner
Username: Exmotowner

Post Number: 322
Posted on Tuesday, June 26, 2007 - 1:11 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Anyone ever figure out what their doing with the UA? Demo? Restoration? gutting? (man I hope they save it - I will make a trip back up just to go see this one if its restored)!

Jt1
Username: Jt1

Post Number: 9452
Posted on Tuesday, June 26, 2007 - 1:25 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I doubt believe anything is really known. Just a lot of speculation.

My gut tells me that once something is announced, regardless of the announcement this thread will get pretty ridiculous with over optimistic posts or a lot of posts about how much Ilitch sucks.

Digitaldom
Username: Digitaldom

Post Number: 633
Posted on Tuesday, June 26, 2007 - 11:38 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

well I canary I talked to said that the illiches are up to a huge rehab project.. could this be it? I saw the same thing when I was a sheppard on the downtown tour..

Putting equipment onto the roof can only mean they are going to repair.. How killer would that be.. another downtown theatre! Can the market support it?

Rjlj
Username: Rjlj

Post Number: 352
Posted on Tuesday, June 26, 2007 - 11:51 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

nope.

Lmichigan
Username: Lmichigan

Post Number: 5715
Posted on Wednesday, June 27, 2007 - 12:18 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Are we talking the roof of the theatre or office tower? I was under the impression we're talking the tower, and if that is the case, it is quite a leap to assume that that necessarily means renovation of the theatre, as well. In fact, I find it far more likely they'll tear the theatre down, or reconstruct it as some other usage.

Gistok

Post Number: 4675
Posted on Wednesday, June 27, 2007 - 12:39 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

True, the condition of the building is in better shape than the condition of the theatre. From an artistic view, the theatre would be a greater loss. But from a development view, the building would be a greater loss.

We'll have to wait and see... keeping my fingers crossed for both!!

With holes in the roof of the auditorium, I'm surprised that a lot of the plasterwork is still relatively intact!

(Message edited by Gistok on June 27, 2007)

3rdworldcity
Username: 3rdworldcity

Post Number: 736
Posted on Wednesday, June 27, 2007 - 4:18 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I asked a friend to check for a City Permit the next time he was downtown, which is required to be posted at every construction site. There wasn't one. He questioned a couple of the workers who would not disclose who they worked for or what was going on inside. They said they "didn't know." One p/up truck had the name of the company duct taped over. He said there was one p/up truck w/ the logo "Spider" on the door. Anyone ever heard of that company?

I asked a builder friend to check out permits at the Dept of Building and Safety Engineering a couple of days ago. He did and claimed that no permits (Building Permit, Demolition Permit or any other kind of permit) have been issued. [The work has been ongoing for several weeks now.] He said the only thing of record are some old building violation notices and a sign violation notice, apparently relating to the banner advertising the building about floors up; he did not look to see if it was still there. He said the lady working for the Dept. was very polite and helpful and seemed surprised that there is work going on that's not permitted.

Gravitymachine
Username: Gravitymachine

Post Number: 1713
Posted on Wednesday, June 27, 2007 - 4:40 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

do scrappers have cranes these days?

Username: 1953

Post Number: 1421
Posted on Wednesday, June 27, 2007 - 5:01 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Something is going on and forumers will solve it!

Gistok

Post Number: 4678
Posted on Wednesday, June 27, 2007 - 5:02 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thanks for checking 3WC.... the plot thickens...

3rdworldcity

Post Number: 738
Posted on Wednesday, June 27, 2007 - 6:46 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I mentioned that a friend who checked out the site saw a "Spider" p/up truck parked there.

I had someone check it out and it appears that Spider is a national company based in Seattle w/ a Detroit area office.

Spider makes all kinds of construction safety equipment and such things as "swing stages," those platforms that are suspended on the outside of buildings for inspections, window washing and so forth.

It also provides swing stage services to the construction industry. It's a highly regarded company.

They could be @ the UA for any number of reasons.

Bob

Post Number: 1494
Posted on Wednesday, June 27, 2007 - 7:13 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

It is entirely possible that the permits are pulled, but they are keeping it quiet for whatever reason.

Gistok

Post Number: 4681
Posted on Wednesday, June 27, 2007 - 7:40 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

And since folks at the scene aren't talking... it looks like whatever is going on there is being purposefully being kept hush-hush from the public... the workers at the building, at city hall, the news media, and those of us who-need-to-know! :-)

Thejesus
Username: Thejesus

Post Number: 1492
Posted on Wednesday, June 27, 2007 - 7:48 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I don't know...all these conspiracy theories swirling around the rehab of an old building? I don't think there is enough public interest in these types of projects to warrant that kind of secrecy (i.e., contractors duct taping over their logos)sure, it's a big deal to all of us here, but we're a small group...most people read little blurbs in the paper about this stuff, look at it once, say, "isn't that nice" and move on and go about their business...

Charlottepaul

Post Number: 1204
Posted on Wednesday, June 27, 2007 - 8:19 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

So Thejesus, it sounds like they are trying ot keep it secret from the DetroitYES! forumers...

3rdworldcity

Post Number: 740
Posted on Wednesday, June 27, 2007 - 8:31 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Bob: A Permit is a public record and the law is that once pulled it is a violation not to post it in plain view at the work site.

It is highly unlikely that permits have been applied for or issued. Even for Ilitch, I don't think the Bldg and Safety Engineering Dept would participate in a clearly illegal act.

Permits are to be issued for a purpose; the City reviews an application and imposes necessary or advisable restrictions, conditions etc. A substantial fee must be paid.

The fact is they are working w/o a permit. (I presume the nature and extent of the work requires a permit.) If so, they're in violation of the law and are depriving the City of needed revenue.

Eric

Post Number: 875
Posted on Wednesday, June 27, 2007 - 9:04 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

It not just us, this site has broken it's fair share of news stories. Just a couple weeks ago DY thanks to Verifiable showed a possible Ilitch connection with the Moose Lodge, of course, a few days later there was story in the News. You can bet they know there are a lot of eyes on them and they want to leave as few footprint as possible. It's not necessarily they're trying to hide something bad, but they don't their dealings broadcast before they're ready say something.

Bob

Post Number: 1496
Posted on Wednesday, June 27, 2007 - 9:50 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Then the million dollar question is, SINCE they do not have any permits pulled what could they be doing with the equipment they have used that does not require a permit?

Charlottepaul

Post Number: 1210
Posted on Wednesday, June 27, 2007 - 10:00 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

More elementary question: what type of work does require a permit?

Scottr
Username: Scottr

Post Number: 536
Posted on Wednesday, June 27, 2007 - 10:13 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Have they started any actual work, or are they just putting supplies in place, possibly in anticipation of a permit (and presumably an announcement)?

With all the failed renovation proposals of various buildings over the years, announcing something and immediately having work begin could be a smart PR move. Getting materials in place would allow that.

Bibs
Username: Bibs

Post Number: 696
Posted on Wednesday, June 27, 2007 - 10:23 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Bug Bunny Cartoon:
Maverick: Get that crane and lower me down some dynamite!
Oil Tycoon: I'm gonna blow that rabbit to the outskirts of Dallas!

Eric

Post Number: 876
Posted on Wednesday, June 27, 2007 - 10:34 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

If this is for demolition they also may want material on site so they can move quickly and limit any public outcry. I don't belive the UA is protected Historic District Commission so they could demolish anytime they like, but without the months of controversy leading to actual work.