Discuss Detroit » Hall of Fame Threads » Detnews: Det close to snagging Quicken » Quicken Consolidated Archive » Archive through August 03, 2007 « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Rbdetsport
Username: Rbdetsport

Post Number: 363
Posted on Thursday, August 02, 2007 - 8:40 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Tony Pieroni, will there be any "big news" in the article?

Southen
Username: Southen

Post Number: 254
Posted on Thursday, August 02, 2007 - 10:04 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

If he had wanted to spill anything he would have already.

Rbdetsport

Post Number: 364
Posted on Friday, August 03, 2007 - 11:06 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

So, I was reading an old news article on the Red Wings possible new arena and it said that the city gave a deadline of August 14 to say whether Olympia are going to improve the Joe or build new. To add to the speculation, all of us who said that there would not be an announcement til Dan and Mike could do a joint announcement could be true. Can't wait to read that news article. Hoping for tomorrow.

Quinn
Username: Quinn

Post Number: 1416
Posted on Friday, August 03, 2007 - 11:08 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Alright I'm back after a long respite.

Tomorrow? I've read the above posts...what is all the hype about?

Thejesus
Username: Thejesus

Post Number: 1752
Posted on Friday, August 03, 2007 - 11:10 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Rbdetsport:

what was the source of that article?

I find this funny if true...

City: "You guys have until August 14th to tell us what your plans are or we'll...um...sorry, we got a little carried away there...please don't leave...we'll give you anything!"

Jt1
Username: Jt1

Post Number: 9689
Posted on Friday, August 03, 2007 - 11:15 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

thejesus - I believe from past info that that is a deadline in the lease contract on the Joe. I don't believe that it is an arbitrary strong arm tactic but something that is in the current lease between the Wings and the city.

Rbdetsport

Post Number: 367
Posted on Friday, August 03, 2007 - 11:16 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Detnews- although I just realized I may have worded my statement wrong. But this is what gave me that idea..... My bad, August 16th.

"The Aug. 16 deadline is expected to set in motion intense deal-making and negotiations that will involve the future of Cobo Arena, Joe Louis Arena -- the home of the Red Wings -- and how much money the state, city and taxpayers are willing to toss in to subsidize a new Detroit hockey arena."

http://www.detnews.com/apps/pb cs.dll/article?AID=/20070618/S PORTS0103/706180381

Rbdetsport

Post Number: 368
Posted on Friday, August 03, 2007 - 11:18 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Harmonie, are you still on your hangover... What happened at the party last night?

Pjazz
Username: Pjazz

Post Number: 69
Posted on Friday, August 03, 2007 - 12:01 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Anyone wonder how Quickens profit sheet is in the past month or so, since home sales have been decreasing? I hope it doesn't affect there move.

Wazootyman
Username: Wazootyman

Post Number: 236
Posted on Friday, August 03, 2007 - 1:20 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Word is that Quicken has had a hiring freeze for a couple of weeks. Also:

http://money.cnn.com/news/news feeds/articles/djhighlights/20 0708031150DOWJONESDJONLINE0007 02.htm

I wouldn't hold your breath regarding a Quicken move. Hell, who knows if they'll even be around in a year. Things are not good.

Urbanize
Username: Urbanize

Post Number: 2039
Posted on Friday, August 03, 2007 - 1:25 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

What's interesting is that NONE of this mess was happening as bad to Quicken until they thought about moving Downtown.

Quozl
Username: Quozl

Post Number: 1113
Posted on Friday, August 03, 2007 - 1:30 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I am bummed out this has happened.

Urb, if you would be ever so kind as to pass me the fire from last night so I can take care of business it would be greatly appreciated.

Q

Iheartthed
Username: Iheartthed

Post Number: 1289
Posted on Friday, August 03, 2007 - 1:45 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

American Home (AHM) , which was the country's tenth largest mortgage lender, said it's cutting its employee base from over 7,000 to approximately 750

Damn, I had to make sure I wasn't reading the Onion. That's crazy! They aren't laying off, they're closing up shop. Smells fishy to me...

Kid_dynamite
Username: Kid_dynamite

Post Number: 168
Posted on Friday, August 03, 2007 - 1:57 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

iheartthed, our whole industry is taking a MASSIVE beating right now.

Urbanize

Post Number: 2040
Posted on Friday, August 03, 2007 - 1:58 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"Urb, if you would be ever so kind as to pass me the fire from last night so I can take care of business it would be greatly appreciated."

Sorry, I don't support your use of Crack/Cocaine.

Iheartthed
Username: Iheartthed

Post Number: 1291
Posted on Friday, August 03, 2007 - 2:00 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

>iheartthed, our whole industry is taking a MASSIVE beating right now.

So I hear. But still... That's over 90% of the company being laid off.

Scottr
Username: Scottr

Post Number: 656
Posted on Friday, August 03, 2007 - 2:00 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

Sorry, I don't support your use of Crack/Cocaine.

only your own? :-)

(Message edited by scottr on August 03, 2007)

Urbanize

Post Number: 2041
Posted on Friday, August 03, 2007 - 2:01 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

^^^You must be on some too if you think that.

Scottr
Username: Scottr

Post Number: 657
Posted on Friday, August 03, 2007 - 2:09 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

i wasn't serious, urb, hence the smiley. calm down, it was just too tempting to ignore.

I still think we'll see a combined announcement. i didn't put that much stock in a Aug. 1st date, (although admittedly, i was hoping), but the lease being up on the Joe gives us a date for that decision. I seriously think that if a lease renewal on the Joe or a move to the burbs is announced at that time, we won't hear anything about quicken either.

Quozl

Post Number: 1114
Posted on Friday, August 03, 2007 - 2:13 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hate to disappoint Urb, but I have never used crack or coke.

Quinn

Post Number: 1418
Posted on Friday, August 03, 2007 - 2:16 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The American Home thing is worrisome, but I wouldn't go having a funeral just yet.

Gilbert seems like a really smart guy. Even if they are suspending hiring now (as Wazootyman says)and having a rough patch, it doesn't mean they are going to stay that way. Businesses have ups and downs and the smart ones plan for the long haul.

Urbanize

Post Number: 2043
Posted on Friday, August 03, 2007 - 2:21 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hey Quinn, are you still going to open Qwiggen inside his headquarters :-)?

Urbanize

Post Number: 2044
Posted on Friday, August 03, 2007 - 2:22 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"Hate to disappoint Urb, but I have never used crack or coke."

Whatever. You must be on something (even if it's Smoking).

Kid_dynamite

Post Number: 169
Posted on Friday, August 03, 2007 - 2:23 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Quinn...there will be no new hirings until at least december.

Quinn

Post Number: 1419
Posted on Friday, August 03, 2007 - 2:27 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Urb...absolutely.

Kid...that sucks bad. Still stick to my thoughts that they will move nonetheless.

Do you work there? Did they make this announcement? Is it official?

(Message edited by quinn on August 03, 2007)

Quozl

Post Number: 1116
Posted on Friday, August 03, 2007 - 2:29 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Sorry Urb, I do not smoke either. I am simply HIGH on the rebuilding of my great hometown and beautiful city that is called Detroit. It is a very intoxicating delight to see Detroit rise from the ashes of the 1967 rebellion and subsequent exodus of citizens and business.

Calm down Urb, we are on the same side here good buddy. I am not the enemy Urb, I am simply your good neighbor that you have yet to meet.

Urbanize

Post Number: 2045
Posted on Friday, August 03, 2007 - 2:40 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'll admit, I was never a Coke person either, I always did Pepsi and Faygo more.

However, I always did the Smokin' BBQ. Too bad you haven't experienced it yet. You must try it. ;-)

Quozl

Post Number: 1117
Posted on Friday, August 03, 2007 - 2:44 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I've been to Slows BBQ and some joint on Fenkell called Lees Texas Style BBQ, is it better?

I loved Vernors, especially the way it tickled the inside of my nose.

Kid_dynamite

Post Number: 170
Posted on Friday, August 03, 2007 - 2:51 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I do Quinn. No moving announcement has been made, but no new hires for the time being is true.

Jelk
Username: Jelk

Post Number: 4521
Posted on Friday, August 03, 2007 - 2:55 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

Gilbert seems like a really smart guy.

In fact I've heard he's the smartest guy in the room.

http://tinyurl.com/2rchft