Discuss Detroit » Hall of Fame Threads » Harper Woods » Archive through August 05, 2007 « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Applesauce
Username: Applesauce

Post Number: 61
Posted on Thursday, August 02, 2007 - 10:33 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I thought I'd take a shot & start a thread regarding the city of Harper Woods for any & all who might be interested. I've searched the internet high & low and cant seem to find much about my little town. So feel free to discuss/comment!

Craigd
Username: Craigd

Post Number: 1214
Posted on Thursday, August 02, 2007 - 10:41 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

http://www.infomi.com/city/har perwoods/

Applesauce
Username: Applesauce

Post Number: 62
Posted on Thursday, August 02, 2007 - 10:46 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thanks. I hadnt see that one.

Dds
Username: Dds

Post Number: 299
Posted on Thursday, August 02, 2007 - 10:52 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

JFK Library used to have a historical section that was in the basement, available to be browsed by request only. Since their renovation, I'm not sure if it has found permanent space on the main floor.

Dave70
Username: Dave70

Post Number: 2
Posted on Sunday, August 05, 2007 - 9:53 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I recently drove through my old neighborhood which boarders Harper Woods (Morang/Kelly/Moross), and went north on Kelly road to 8 mile.

I was stunned on how crappy the Kelly road businesses looked. That used to be a really nice strip of shops. Now it's looking pretty ghetto. :-(

The Detroit side of Kelly looks bad now too, looks like in the last 15 years the whole area has gone down.

How's it living in Harper Woods these days?

Mauser765
Username: Mauser765

Post Number: 1728
Posted on Sunday, August 05, 2007 - 10:44 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

shitty.

Dave70
Username: Dave70

Post Number: 3
Posted on Sunday, August 05, 2007 - 11:30 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Care to elaborate Mauser?

Mauser765

Post Number: 1732
Posted on Sunday, August 05, 2007 - 1:02 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

gawd.

K - I bought my grandparents house, which was designed and built by my grandfather before Harper Woods was established. I personally have memories of the city going back more than 35 years. My mother grew up here, my parents were married here. - so I know how it used to be when it was nice.

Heres a short list:

I live in the Fleetwood sub, so im in GP schools. Thats no big deal, but overall my property taxes are quite high compared to most other cities like this one.

HW has what seems a million police, yet none appear to be available when they are actually needed. Example: blackouts. Would it hurt to put out a few patrol cars to keep an eye on the city when nobody has power, and many people are staying in hotels ? My neighbors and I took turns doing night watch with flashlights all night during these events. None of us ever saw a single cruiser during the winter outage, nor the massive summer power grid failure. We did hear several shotgun blasts each night though. Not something I hear too much around here.

No code enforcement - if somebody violates a code, the neighbors are expected to foot the bill to bring it to court, and the city refuses to participate. Im talking about BIG code violations, not tall grass.

Grass. The limit is 5", unlike most other cities in michigan which average 7-10". (sterling heights, rochester hills, troy, the grosse pointes, roseville, royal oak etc) Nothing wrong with painfully short grass I guess, but THAT is the one code they enforce like stormtroopers. Multiple inspectors on daily patrol peering at lawns up and down the streets. Why ? Because in 48 hours of a notice, they cut your grass for you at an insanely high rate. No code enforcement unless they get a profit. The city counsel directed DPW to focus on this one issue, in hopes to bring in desperately needed revenue. (this is according to Mr. William Snyder, head of DPW)

The high school. Nothing wrong with faculty chaperoning a prom and being drunk, right ? I witnessed that three years straight now.

The city employees. Talk about rude super shitty individuals. The building inspector/assessor is a great guy. The rest Ive encountered should be terminated for being unnecessarily obstinate, rude, sarcastic and completely unhelpful in their position. I wish the law that prohibits requiring residency for employment in cities was rescinded. They might all take care of this place if it were their home too.

Slamming and racism. The Feds busted the city for trying to keep out african americans for years. Once that practice was abolished, a new one emerged. The people selling houses in the Grosse Pointes steer african americans into Harper Woods now to keep the Pointes "pure". This was a major scandal recently. We are talking about black people with more than enough money to live in any of the Pointes. At least theres some color around here finally.

The Harper Woods police force is historically famous for racial profiling. Now that they are fully integrated, maybe that will stop. (im joking, theres one black cop)

Dont even try to talk to the City Manager. That is a strict policy, he does not consort with civilians. You will never get past his secretary, which the other city employees bluntly refer to as "The Gate Keeper".

Notre Dame - gone.

Regina - gone.

Lutheran East - gone.

Trinity Catholic High School (formerly Bishop Gallagher High School) - gone.

Our Lady Queen of Peace Elementary School- gone.

Sorry Applesauce, dont mean to poop in your yard. Just frustrated after 7 very long years. House goes up for sale this fall, along with the three dozen other houses on my street.

Patrick
Username: Patrick

Post Number: 4772
Posted on Sunday, August 05, 2007 - 2:00 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I always enjoyed the tree-lined streets as well as the simple architecture of HW. Mauser, have any stories of the HW police dept to share? I heard back in the 60s and 70s that they were hardasses...possibly corrupt.

Mauser765

Post Number: 1734
Posted on Sunday, August 05, 2007 - 2:30 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I have too many stories about the HWPD, but for legal reasons, Im not going into that. I dont think I'll ever bring it into court, but the lawyer says we documented everything enough to take rather powerful action against them. I decided to get out instead, cause who would want to go through all that crap.

Heres a picture of all my friends - I couldnt get them to smile for some reason.

HWPD

Mauser765

Post Number: 1735
Posted on Sunday, August 05, 2007 - 2:33 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The guy in the top row, second from the right is cool. Hes a good cop - I dont want to generalize the entire force.

Patrick

Post Number: 4774
Posted on Sunday, August 05, 2007 - 2:37 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

So what's with the Albanian Islamic center? I have always wondered about this place. Odd location? Yes or no?

Chitaku
Username: Chitaku

Post Number: 1528
Posted on Sunday, August 05, 2007 - 3:18 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

my grandparents lived on woodside near kelly until we had to pry them out because it was getting bad. A lot of the old folks were getting robbed. good memories of baseball at beacon and HWHS also my cousin was on the state champ little league team in 93, (i was pissed because we only had babe ruth ;eague in Clinton Twp). My other cousin lived off Moross on the Detroit side, we would ride to heilman and balduck, I pretty much grew up in Harper Woods

Quinn
Username: Quinn

Post Number: 1423
Posted on Sunday, August 05, 2007 - 3:56 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I've know a guy we caught in a lie about where he grew up. He tells people he was born in Grosse Pointe, but he was actually born and raised, until he was 8 or so, in Harper Woods.

It's amazing how many people are embarrased by such things...there are some really pretty parts of Harper Woods. I was raised in Howell so I have no shame.

He was incensed that a year or so ago, some people in Harper Woods were trying to change the name to Grosse Pointe Heights! I lied and told him that the area south of Jefferson, next to Alter was forming an association and calling themselves Grosse Pointe Flats...the look on his face...it was awesome.

Jjaba
Username: Jjaba

Post Number: 5496
Posted on Sunday, August 05, 2007 - 4:06 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

One of jjaba's college girlfriends, Sandy Yesvasi lived on Fleetwood. Anybody remember her?

jjaba was always impressed on how tailored everything there was, compared to his built environment on the Westside.

Mid-century modernism is all the rage now. How much for those ranch houses?

jjaba.

Newport1128
Username: Newport1128

Post Number: 79
Posted on Sunday, August 05, 2007 - 4:22 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I lived in Harper Woods from 1980-86, on Bournemouth, down the street from Queen of Peace. We moved away because we wanted a larger house. It was still nice then, but things are going downhill in a hurry.

Hornwrecker
Username: Hornwrecker

Post Number: 1862
Posted on Sunday, August 05, 2007 - 4:33 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

From a 1930s street map.

Danny
Username: Danny

Post Number: 6318
Posted on Sunday, August 05, 2007 - 4:57 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Dave70,

The stores along Kelly Rd. between Moross and 8 Mole Rd. are still in good shape even through more black folks from the Detroit side like to shop there. The retail strip doesn;t have to be Grosse Pointe (Snobbyville) look a like. Too bad that the retail strips along Harper Ave. is totally destroyed by the I-94 FWY.

Harper Woods remains to this day is bedroom suburbs with nice well kept up single family homes and manicured lawns. The neighborhoods are quite diverse filled with Whites, Hmongs, Chaldeans, Albanian Muslims and blacks and it not a ghetto but take a look on the Detroit side of Kelly Road and you will see how a instant black ghetto it become even through the Detroit ghettohood is well kept up with nice homes that look like NW Detroit.

The School district fo Harper Woods is now joined with Grosse Pointe Woods. The student population for Harper Woods is 50% black, 44% white 3% Hmong 1% Chaldean and 1% other.

Danny

Post Number: 6319
Posted on Sunday, August 05, 2007 - 5:11 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

a Mauser765,
You quote that slamming and racism. The Feds busted the city for trying to keep out african americans for years. Once that practice was abolished, a new one emerged. The people selling houses in the Grosse Pointes steer african americans into Harper Woods now to keep the Pointes "pure". This was a major scandal recently. We are talking about black people with more than enough money to live in any of the Pointes. At least theres some color around here finally.

Yes it true,White folks in Harper Woods back then was just following the racial restrictive covenant code called "THE POINT SYSTEM" aim not only to keep black folks out but Jews and Arabs and Hmongs. But that code is over. However the 5 Snobbyvilles have a new restrictive covenant code called "RACIAL STEERING" Also white folks in the 5 Snobbyvilles will keep their property values up to very expensive prices to prevent section 8 planning and low income folks from buying any of their beautiful homes. You can take a look Mack Ave. From Alter Rd. to Moross Ave. East English Village, Morningside, Balduck Park all of them have lower property rates and tax breaks to anyone who buys one of the homes. On the Snobbyville side, you will see very beautiful high income colonials well kept up even since white folks on the Detroit side of Alter Rd left leaving the Detroit ghettohoods to the po'folks.

Danny

Post Number: 6320
Posted on Sunday, August 05, 2007 - 5:14 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

My question is since lots of black folks from Detroit are buying some of the homes in Harper Woods. Will property values drop as white folks continue to leave that area?

Any thoughts? because I do see fewer blacks moving over the other side of Kelly Rd.

Hpgrmln
Username: Hpgrmln

Post Number: 72
Posted on Sunday, August 05, 2007 - 6:51 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I can't be too surprised that HW is "going downhill" or getting bad. Go to areaconnect.com and check out the crime rate.I was shocked. Worse than the natural average in all but 1 category. This stuff can happen when the police are crooked.

Novine
Username: Novine

Post Number: 23
Posted on Sunday, August 05, 2007 - 6:55 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Odd borders it has crossing at angles like that. Why?

Mackinaw
Username: Mackinaw

Post Number: 3477
Posted on Sunday, August 05, 2007 - 7:03 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I think the Kelly Rd. district is pretty decent. Although I never saw it in its "prime."

HW's big problem is that it is a quiet, boring place lacking in character and differentiation. I don't think it's bad, and I haven't heard much about crime issues. Its governance and schools are less than spectacular, and there are a lot of bad attitudes as Mauser alludes to (lagging racism, etc.).

It's just a standard mid-century suburb that is poised to become full of the black middle class, unless, of course, the far east side redevelopment in Detroit turns out well.

GP is having a hard enough time maintaining property values in this market, and it has plenty of character and amenities. HW has a tough road ahead.

Mauser765

Post Number: 1736
Posted on Sunday, August 05, 2007 - 7:14 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Almost all the new residents are black. Property values are dropping, but I cant attribute that to anything other than the current market here in Michigan. They cant sell houses in the Pointes either right now. (and the ones in the Park that are for sale and not occupied are getting pillaged by copper scrappers - lol)

Theres a million houses for sale here, but they are still selling. One a few houses away just a couple days ago.

The stuff along Kelly is alright. I go to the SofState and the drug store over there. I ride my bike all over that area on my way into Detroit, and its nothing special, but not bad.

Mauser765

Post Number: 1737
Posted on Sunday, August 05, 2007 - 7:16 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Oh, and lets not forget the GPW/GPP police call sign "NOMAD" which you used to hear all the time on cop scanners.

"Nigger On Mack After Dark"

Surprised they dont wear white hoods when they patrol.

Mauser765

Post Number: 1738
Posted on Sunday, August 05, 2007 - 7:17 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/H arper_Woods,_Michigan

Mackinaw
Username: Mackinaw

Post Number: 3479
Posted on Sunday, August 05, 2007 - 7:23 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I heard about the copper scrapping of empty houses...just terrible.

I think that GP Woods is a police state. They are just locked down up there, and will pull anyone over for the smallest thing. GP Park police don't worry me. They are more realistic and down to earth, and let's face it, they need to be much more vigilant because of their location so close to well established crime, drug, and car theft rings. Policing = profiling, to a great extent.

I don't know much about HW police, but I see them patroling the roads alot. I'm afraid to speed there.

Fareastsider
Username: Fareastsider

Post Number: 508
Posted on Sunday, August 05, 2007 - 9:27 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I like the Wayne Co. Map on wikipedia! where is GPS and what is that stub going up north of 8mile. What is with the pointes?

Patrick

Post Number: 4778
Posted on Sunday, August 05, 2007 - 9:52 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Shit, I was at Dippin Dots on Mack the other day and saw 6 cars pulled over in roughly 20 minutes. What the fung is this all about?

Jenniferl
Username: Jenniferl

Post Number: 385
Posted on Sunday, August 05, 2007 - 10:13 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Mackinaw wrote:
"I think that GP Woods is a police state. They are just locked down up there, and will pull anyone over for the smallest thing. GP Park police don't worry me. They are more realistic and down to earth, and let's face it, they need to be much more vigilant because of their location so close to well established crime, drug, and car theft rings. Policing = profiling, to a great extent."

A few years ago at WSU, we were having a discussion about the local cops and racial profiling. One of the white women in class worked in Grosse Pointe (not such which GP) and the cops kept pulling her over because she drove a beat-up old car. The black students were surprised to hear about a white woman getting the DWB treatment. IIRC, the consensus was that the Grosse Pointe cops profiled people according to race and class (or both), but that the Livonia cops only went after black people.