Discuss Detroit » Hall of Fame Threads » Detnews: Det close to snagging Quicken » Quicken Consolidated Archive » Archive through August 04, 2007 « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Quinn
Username: Quinn

Post Number: 1420
Posted on Friday, August 03, 2007 - 3:00 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Good movie, bad joke/comparison.

Deandub11
Username: Deandub11

Post Number: 137
Posted on Friday, August 03, 2007 - 3:55 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hey Kid_Dynamite what happened to these grandiose plans from a "trusted source" you were getting everyone riled up about a couple weeks ago. Maybe I have no reason to complain, but im starting to get bitter.

Tetsua
Username: Tetsua

Post Number: 1296
Posted on Friday, August 03, 2007 - 4:00 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

He's protecting his job I'm sure.

Deandub11

Post Number: 138
Posted on Friday, August 03, 2007 - 4:06 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

For that matter i guess I really can't talk as I seem to remember a certain deandub11 saying that his source said they are for sure coming downtown. Which his source did by the way although he did not put a timetable on it.
I WANT ANSWERS

Kid_dynamite
Username: Kid_dynamite

Post Number: 172
Posted on Friday, August 03, 2007 - 4:10 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I am not sure how taking a break on hiring equates to not moving the headquarters, deandub.

Deandub11

Post Number: 139
Posted on Friday, August 03, 2007 - 4:16 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

It doesnt equate at all. I think really thought/hoped I would hear something by now, so I thought maybe you had some answers.

Rbdetsport
Username: Rbdetsport

Post Number: 369
Posted on Friday, August 03, 2007 - 4:27 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

What pisses me off is that many people on here said that they had inside information, but now all of a sudden, noone is talking.

Detroitrulez
Username: Detroitrulez

Post Number: 323
Posted on Friday, August 03, 2007 - 4:40 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I've got inside info, and it is a GO. I spoke with Dan Gilbert about my unicorn streetcar-transit plan. He was very enthusiastic about it, and he's excited about setting up a penthouse in Trolley Plaza (take that Gideon!). He also asked me where I bought my Hermes tie (it was a gift).

Urbanize
Username: Urbanize

Post Number: 2050
Posted on Friday, August 03, 2007 - 4:45 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"What pisses me off is that many people on here said that they had inside information, but now all of a sudden, noone is talking."

Now you see why I don't like Rumors.

Detroitrulez

Post Number: 324
Posted on Friday, August 03, 2007 - 4:57 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hurbanize--why do you capitalize "Rumors"? Are you talking about that crummy 19th and M area bar in DC? I don't like that place either...major cheese. Danindc probably digs it though.

In any event, my post above is bona fide inside info. I used to cut Gilbert's lawn.

Mayor_sekou
Username: Mayor_sekou

Post Number: 1211
Posted on Friday, August 03, 2007 - 4:58 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

So are we any closer to snagging Quicken yet or are we at where we were 3 months ago?

Gistok
Username: Gistok

Post Number: 5015
Posted on Friday, August 03, 2007 - 5:25 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'm not expecting a Quicken announcement at the moment, but I am interested in what the Detroit News has to say (per Tony Pieroni's previous comments about a reporter questioning owners in the GCP area). My guess is that it'll be in the weekend papers.

Until then, just ignore the silly comments that are mucking up this thread...

Johnlodge
Username: Johnlodge

Post Number: 1496
Posted on Friday, August 03, 2007 - 6:21 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"Now you see why I don't like Rumors."

I agree, Fleetwood Mac's early blues albums pre-Buckingham and Nicks were better.

Dbc
Username: Dbc

Post Number: 60
Posted on Friday, August 03, 2007 - 6:54 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Detroitrulez, I can't speak for Dan, but Rumor's is an integral part - along with Sign of the Whale and Mad Hatter - of the Herpes Triangle that is 19th and M. How else can I ogle clothing-challenged entertainers without entering their dens of iniquity (and getting into trouble with my wife?)

Sorry to DC-up the thread, but I, too, am disappointed daily with the lack of any announcement. God, I hope it doesn't end up in Farmington Hills.

Livernoisyard
Username: Livernoisyard

Post Number: 3618
Posted on Friday, August 03, 2007 - 10:02 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Some security analyst said today that the mortgage market now is the worst in the past 22 years.

Just another reason for a delayed (or no) announcement:
Bear Stearns hit by downgrade fears as mortgage fallout widens
By Stephen Foley in New York
Published: 04 August 2007

(Message edited by Livernoisyard on August 03, 2007)

Thejesus
Username: Thejesus

Post Number: 1765
Posted on Friday, August 03, 2007 - 10:16 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I don't see that really having an impact...

Compuware had it's best years in the run-up to Y2K, then business dropped off big time after that, but they still used a lot of the capital they raised during their boom to build a new HQ, and eventually business returns to normal levels...that's just what businesses do...

Livernoisyard
Username: Livernoisyard

Post Number: 3619
Posted on Friday, August 03, 2007 - 10:51 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

QL has its chief economist talking about a late 2007 recovery, whereas security analysts say not until 2010 or 2011. Those two viewpoints don't agree at all. Security analysts don't engage in puffery.

And there are not any business cycles. Just ups and downs. New companies come and some older companies go. The DJIA list of companies bear scant similarity to what they were twenty or even ten years ago.

Rhymeswithrawk
Username: Rhymeswithrawk

Post Number: 837
Posted on Friday, August 03, 2007 - 11:29 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Quicken would be a huge gain for Detroit, but it wouldn't be the magical fix-it the city needs. I can't decide which spot I would rather have Quicken build on: Statler or Hudson's. Both have their significant benefits for the surrounding area. I'd love to see SOMETHING, ANYTHING, happen with the Statler site. But it's probably more important to get businesses in those Woodward-fronted shops. Sigh. It's like asking a starving child in Darfur what he wants for dinner.

Quozl
Username: Quozl

Post Number: 1120
Posted on Friday, August 03, 2007 - 11:44 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

I agree, Fleetwood Mac's early blues albums pre-Buckingham and Nicks were better.

I liked the Peter Green era and Bob Welch Fleetwood Mac. Bare Trees was a great album.

Gistok
Username: Gistok

Post Number: 5016
Posted on Friday, August 03, 2007 - 11:47 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Rhymeswithrawk, my main reason for picking the Statler site is because it would tie together the Stadia/Theatre district (as well as likely adding another theatre to our already excellent collection of old entertainment palaces)... it would also help boost the United Artists, Whitney and even Broderick developments, as well as help what I call "the north wall" of GCP... W. Adams from Woodward to the 2nd tower west of Park Ave.

If the Broderick and Whitney are developed that will help (IMHO) the Woodward retail area, possibly as much, or maybe more so than a Hudson's location. That particular point though, is a tough call.

Scottr
Username: Scottr

Post Number: 661
Posted on Friday, August 03, 2007 - 11:55 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

but it wouldn't be the magical fix-it the city needs.

so what magical fix-it does the city need?

i'm happy for every not-so-magical fix-it that works towards fixing it. Not that i doubt that you are too, but i don't expect any single project to turn the city around. In any case, this will be a huge boost... if it happens.

Rhymeswithrawk
Username: Rhymeswithrawk

Post Number: 844
Posted on Saturday, August 04, 2007 - 2:52 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Right-o, Scottr.
It's not A fix-all. It's MANY fixes. Detroit needs more residents, who demand more retail. More retail demands more residents. More residents demands better schools. Hey, I don't have the answers. I live in Detroit and am as happy as a Coleman A. Young in a slush fund with how things are progressing.
But we must not be disillusioned. Quicken choosing Detroit is HUUUUUUUUUGE, but some people are talking about it being the final piece we need. False.

Cgunn
Username: Cgunn

Post Number: 70
Posted on Saturday, August 04, 2007 - 3:28 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

E-Prize eyes Detroit...

http://www.detnews.com/apps/pb cs.dll/article?AID=/20070804/B IZ/708040318/1001

While ePrize is not confirming rumors that it plans to move downtown, possibly along with Quicken Loans Inc., the Pleasant Ridge-based Internet marketing company is surely warming up to the city.

Cgunn
Username: Cgunn

Post Number: 72
Posted on Saturday, August 04, 2007 - 3:44 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Quicken can't revive city alone

http://www.freep.com/apps/pbcs .dll/article?AID=/20070804/BUS INESS04/708040321

As Detroit waits to hear whether Quicken Loans founder and boss Dan Gilbert will move his headquarters and some 5,000 employees downtown, many leaders talk of a tipping point at which the downtown revival of recent years would really take off.

...Gilbert is weighing at least two possible locations for a new headquarters, one on the site of the old Hudson's department store on Woodward Avenue, the other on the site of the old Statler Hotel on Grand Circus Park.

Mackinaw
Username: Mackinaw

Post Number: 3459
Posted on Saturday, August 04, 2007 - 9:30 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thanks, Cgunn. I think the PR person at Eprize really gave it away.

Bumble
Username: Bumble

Post Number: 268
Posted on Saturday, August 04, 2007 - 9:41 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

India Washington, manager of the Woodhouse Day Spa at 1447 Woodward Ave., said her spa, which opened last December, lacks the foot traffic that a deeper residential and retail environment would produce.

"I think this stretch of Woodward Avenue could really use some more shopping," she said this week. "Walk-in clientele is not something we're getting a lot of."

Talk about psychosis. Up in here we have folks telling everyone who will listen that there are gazillions of downtown residents just waiting to spend scads of money on something, anything retail to open.

And then we have a business owner who says there isn't any foot traffic. Hmmm. No customers.

The solution? More stores!

Gotdetroit
Username: Gotdetroit

Post Number: 84
Posted on Saturday, August 04, 2007 - 10:14 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Where that spa is located, there is very little foot traffic. I walk by there every day and look in those stores - three shoe stores in one block, even - as I pass. And rarely, if ever, do I see anyone other than the owner inside. I always wonder how the hell they survive.

Detroitrulez

Post Number: 325
Posted on Saturday, August 04, 2007 - 8:36 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

hey BUMP!

quote:

Until then, just ignore the silly comments that are mucking up this thread

oh...and settle down Gerhardt!

Quozl
Username: Quozl

Post Number: 1122
Posted on Saturday, August 04, 2007 - 11:13 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Urbanize
Username: Urbanize

Post Number: 2085
Posted on Saturday, August 04, 2007 - 11:38 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Time's A Wasting...

Best not let this good Stuff go to waste.

(Message edited by Urbanize on August 04, 2007)