Discuss Detroit » Hall of Fame Threads » Rosedale Park in the 1970's » Archive through May 31, 2007 « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Vetalalumni
Username: Vetalalumni

Post Number: 29
Posted on Wednesday, May 23, 2007 - 7:27 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

We had annual block party's on Saturday's where the street would be blocked off almost the entire day. People would share food and talk like good friends.

There was a newsletter that came out every month or so - anyone remember the name of it?

Lot's of city employees and white collar employees resided there.

Many of the streets had what we called "islands" which were like medians with beautiful flowers and plants. The houses sat well back from the street. Most lawns were very well kept.

Grandland Shopping Center was conveniently only a couple of blocks away. Easy access to Southfield Expressway.

Many large bank branches in the immediate area including NBD at Fenkell and Grand River and Bank of the Commonwealth at Outer Drive and Grand River.

Evelethcdenver
Username: Evelethcdenver

Post Number: 105
Posted on Wednesday, May 23, 2007 - 7:30 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The newsletter was called The Rosedale Tattler. I use to deliver it around the neighborhood for $8.00. Good times.

65memories
Username: 65memories

Post Number: 402
Posted on Wednesday, May 23, 2007 - 7:56 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Actually, the North Rosedale paper was, and still is, called the Tattler. The Rosedale Park newsletter has always been called the Rosedale Park News. It is still mailed to every dues-paying member each month. As a past-President of the RPIA (Rosedale Park Improvement Association) and still resident of Rosedale Park, I can assure you Vetal that the community is still strong, with an active and involved board. Remember the June picnics? Still have them. Remember the 30 Block Garage Sales? Still have them (In fact next month on the 3rd Saturday, June 23). Also still going are the Easter Egg Hunts and Christmas parties. Rosedale also has a great youth program, with a Little League (T-Ball to Senior play) involving almost 900 participants and a fall Soccer League and Basketball League. The bank is still at Fenkell/Grand River. The streets still have islands with lawns well-kept. Every block still has Block parties, where the streets are blocked off for a day and the residents gather in the middle to grill and chat, while the little kids get a chance to ride their bikes in the street. The park at Acacia (called Flintstone) has been spruced up with swings and slides, etc. and a walking track. For the first time, Rosedale held a jazz fest there last summer. Having lived in Rosedale Park for almost 35 years, I can attest to the fact that it is still a great place for families.

Iheartthed
Username: Iheartthed

Post Number: 825
Posted on Wednesday, May 23, 2007 - 8:21 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Ya know... a lot of that stuff is still the same.

Iheartthed

Post Number: 826
Posted on Wednesday, May 23, 2007 - 8:23 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

>65memories

Or better yet, what he said.

56packman
Username: 56packman

Post Number: 1338
Posted on Wednesday, May 23, 2007 - 9:40 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

65 memories--is this the park at Acacia, the "Flintstones" park?

yaba dabba do

WILMA!

The Packman is driving in both these pictures, his brother and sister aren't as amused.

Circa 1963

Granmontrules
Username: Granmontrules

Post Number: 82
Posted on Wednesday, May 23, 2007 - 9:48 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yeah I live a few houses and a street from Rosedale Park. It is still the same. Exceptionally nice. Great newsletter, great community house, lots of city employees. Actually the most beautiful community in Detroit.

Parkguy
Username: Parkguy

Post Number: 28
Posted on Wednesday, May 23, 2007 - 9:52 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The old NBD is now Chase Bank, and the Bank of the Commonwealth is now Comerica.

Vetalalumni

Post Number: 36
Posted on Wednesday, May 23, 2007 - 10:16 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Wow 56packman, those pictures are outstanding. The Rosemont Acacia Playground, or Flintstone Park did not look like that at all in the late 70's.

Here is a google map of the cross streets:

Rosemont Acacia Playground

We used to play football for hours in that park.

What was the name of that large church on the Southfield Freeway Service Drive and directly across the street from the Park?

56packman

Post Number: 1339
Posted on Wednesday, May 23, 2007 - 10:35 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Bushnell congregational church?

56packman

Post Number: 1340
Posted on Wednesday, May 23, 2007 - 10:41 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Since you liked those so much, here's a bonus shot, Fred's house

stones3

65memories

Post Number: 404
Posted on Wednesday, May 23, 2007 - 11:02 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

56...It sure looks like the park, although if it is, the Flintstone structures are long-gone. Bushnell church is on the Southfield Service Drive, just south of GrandRiver/Fenkell intersection. Macedonia Church, which had a different name back in the 70's (I can't remember it, but it will come to me) was just south of Flintstone Park, at Acacia and Southfield.

Blackhelicopter
Username: Blackhelicopter

Post Number: 10
Posted on Thursday, May 24, 2007 - 12:16 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I think Macedonia used to be called Calvin Presbyterian (I'm certain about the last word, not the first). They had a day care or vacation Bible school there that I attended every now and then.

My father still lives in the house in Rosedale Park where I grew up...

Vetalalumni

Post Number: 38
Posted on Thursday, May 24, 2007 - 3:23 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

56packman:
Fred's House! Awesome! Again, terrific pictures. I never saw the park look like that when I came in to the picture in 1974. In the latest photo, the banner reads "Storybook Playground" - interesting?

65memories:
I think you are correct - Bushnell Congregational church was the large church on the other side of the Southfield Expressway Service Drive, on the southeast corner of Grand River and Sfld Xwy (below the gas station).

Blackhelicopter:
Yes, thats it - the church across from Flintstone Park was called Calvin Presbyterian and I also remember it was very active with neighborhood events.

Here is a question on an institution that was only a block away from Flintstone Park. Does anyone remember the name of the odd and quaint little church on the southwest corner of Lyndon and the Sfld Xwy?

65memories

Post Number: 406
Posted on Thursday, May 24, 2007 - 12:25 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

St. James Lutheran Church is at the corner of Ashton and Lyndon in Rosedale Park.

El_jimbo
Username: El_jimbo

Post Number: 172
Posted on Thursday, May 24, 2007 - 12:31 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

56packman,

By the way you were standing in that last picture it looks like you were doing the pee-pee dance.

Paulmcall
Username: Paulmcall

Post Number: 152
Posted on Thursday, May 24, 2007 - 12:40 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Remember the park off Glastonberry?
They had to block off part of the enclosure because too many dopers hung out there.
They had a nice ice pond there in the winter for skating.

Izzadore
Username: Izzadore

Post Number: 28
Posted on Thursday, May 24, 2007 - 12:44 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I went to Bushnell for day care. I'm pretty sure I played soccer in that park on Glastonberry when I was growing up (even though we stayed in Grandmont.)

Vetalalumni

Post Number: 39
Posted on Thursday, May 24, 2007 - 5:34 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

65memories:
I do Remember the June picnics very well. It was always fun.

Thats it - St. James Lutheran Church at 14450 Ashton Road (on Lyndon between Ashton and Southfield Expressway Service Drive).

Scs_scooter
Username: Scs_scooter

Post Number: 21
Posted on Thursday, May 24, 2007 - 5:46 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Gee, many great memories! We went to vacation bible school every summer at Calvin and also were regulars on the Flintstone cars. We still laugh when we have to stop the car real fast and say,"You had better Fred Flintstone it", meaning slam your feet down and stop!! Went to Vetal and remember Miss Sibley very fondly. Mom would make us walk all the way up to Grandland and we would have White Castle burgers and spin on the stools and laugh until we couldn't eat anymore!!Dad worked for Stroh's and he got transferred in 1968 so off to NY we went. Took many memories with us!!

Bvos
Username: Bvos

Post Number: 2176
Posted on Thursday, May 24, 2007 - 11:21 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

So now I know why Rosemont/Acacia Park is nicknamed Flintstone Park. Never understood until those pictures. Interesting how nicknames stick around, even with all the turn over in residents and long gone park features.

Rosedale Park is experiencing some pretty tough times with all the foreclosures. There are about a half dozen homes on my block that are in the foreclosure process and/or vacant. Other blocks are in bad shape too. I'm mowing two lawns in addition to my own because the banks don't seem to know they own the two houses next to me. Code enforcement seems to have fallen by the wayside with the city these days as well. A few years ago a day or two after a phone call to the neighborhood city hall resulted in a ticket and within a week someone from the mortgage company was out mowing the law. Now calls to the neighborhood city hall regarding vacant homes, overgrown weeds, etc. result in pretty much nothing.

A lot of the islands are not being maintained as well either. After 5 years of mowing the southern half of the island on our block with virtually no help the last two years, I've given up. It pretty much only gets mowed when the high weeds create traffic visibility problems. Other block's islands look the same.

The two vacant houses next door I have to mow and then the homes with people living in them who don't mow their own grass has put me over the edge. I'll mow the two vacant homes next door as best I can, but it's time for someone else from the 35 other homes on the block to step up to the plate and pitch in.

Maybe the block captain coordinator for RPIA (who lives on my block) could start out by mowing her own lawn and then organizing a mowing schedule for the island. Of course you'd have to actually talk to your neighbors to do that so maybe she's not the best person for that job.

The new playscape equipment at Flintstone Park has gone to hell with absolutely no maintenance and no new woodchips under the play equipment. Now there is equipment that's been broken for years, mud puddles and equipment that sits dangerously high off the ground since the woodchips have decomposted.

Stopel Park on Outer Drive and Evergreen got some outstanding improvements a few years ago and was a great place to go with the kids. Now it's full of graffiti, garbage, broken glass, condoms, mud and broken swings. The city must have invested well over $100,000 into these two parks just on the playscape stuff alone. Given the state that it's in now, they might as well have saved their money and done nothing at all.

Quozl
Username: Quozl

Post Number: 705
Posted on Friday, May 25, 2007 - 12:20 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Bvos, looking at the Grandmont-Rosedale Development Corporation website sure paints a rosie picture of the neighborhood. Sorry to read that the area is going downhill. If King Kwame can't keep city services up to snuff there, what makes him think the 6 neighborhoods targeted for renewal are going to fare any better?

I wonder if Grandmont-Rosedale will turn into the next up and coming ghettohood to rival Blightmoor in the next 5 years?

Vetalalumni

Post Number: 41
Posted on Friday, May 25, 2007 - 1:05 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Bvos:
Very sad to hear these turn of events regarding the decline you've observed. Sounds like there is a tough road ahead. From what you've described, I can understand being exasperated.

65memories

Post Number: 408
Posted on Friday, May 25, 2007 - 11:35 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Bvos...
Did you...or do you still...work for the Grandmont Rosedale Development Corporation? Hasn't GRDC opened a new office in the building that once housed the Secretary of State office?
And will the fact that Rosedale Park was recently designated a Historical District help or hurt the community?

65memories

Post Number: 409
Posted on Friday, May 25, 2007 - 12:28 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Bvos...I understand your concerns, especially regarding home sales and the economy. That problem is affecting the whole state. My cousin, who lives in Royal Oak, in the Beverly Hills section of the city, has had the houses on both sides of his up for sale for two years now, even after dramatic cuts in the asking price...and he also had to call the city about grass not being cut.
Quozi...Grandmont and Rosedale are two very different neighborhoods from Brightmoor, and always have been. Quality of homes, economic level, etc. Grandmont/Rosedale will go whatever way Southeastern Mi goes...and as of now, that's anybody's guess.

Quozl
Username: Quozl

Post Number: 710
Posted on Friday, May 25, 2007 - 2:12 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thanks for the info 65memories. I grew up in Grandmont#2 south of Schoolcraft and had loads of family that lived in Grandmont and Rosedale Gardens. I remember Brightmoor being a pretty good neighborhood as a kid (60's) with primarily frame houses. All I am saying is that with the amount of foreclosures in Grandmont/Rosedale and loads of homes for sale with no prospect for qualified buyers in addition to the parks and public areas being neglected it does not look like it will remain the same.

Lombaowski
Username: Lombaowski

Post Number: 40
Posted on Saturday, May 26, 2007 - 4:59 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Well I grew up in Franklin Park in the 70s and 80s and Brightmoor was not very nice. I remember my Dad joking that Brightmoor desperately needed a show store in the 50s and 60s because none of the kids ever had any. Not trying to be an ass, just saying Brightmoor was a very lower middle class setting from the beginning and was the first to go real bad once the city started collapsing.

I really hope Rosedale Park will not meet this same fate. I've been through there over the years and although the faces have changed, the neighborhood is still maintained very well by folks like Bvos. If I move back, Rosedale Park will be at the top of my list for places I'd live.

Ray1936
Username: Ray1936

Post Number: 1497
Posted on Saturday, May 26, 2007 - 8:55 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Lived on Warwick just off'n Grand River 1977-1984. Nicest house in Detroit I ever had. Now that I'm out in the boondocks of Nevada, I still have this souvenir on my garage wall. (Go ahead and report me. Statute of Limitations has long expired.) :-)

Warwick

Michmeister
Username: Michmeister

Post Number: 194
Posted on Saturday, May 26, 2007 - 9:05 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

We had our baseball practices at the park on Glastonbury, but had to quit when we started hitting balls over the community center building.

Vetalalumni

Post Number: 87
Posted on Sunday, May 27, 2007 - 2:23 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Admittedly, my last visit to Rosedale Park was 2004, but I thought my old area of South Rosedale Park looked good. Not much had changed except for a few noticable minor changes to the landscaping or paint on a few houses.

Club_boss
Username: Club_boss

Post Number: 106
Posted on Sunday, May 27, 2007 - 8:20 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"Lived on Warwick just off'n Grand River 1977-1984. Nicest house in Detroit I ever had."

My grandmother lived @ Warwick and Grand River from 1971-1976.

She lived right on the corner, on Warwick.

Large, beautiful home on a corner lot.

It was the nicest home she ever lived in.

Ray1936

Post Number: 1499
Posted on Sunday, May 27, 2007 - 11:25 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Mine was at 15505, second house south of Keeler, Club_boss. West side of street.

Club_boss

Post Number: 107
Posted on Sunday, May 27, 2007 - 12:33 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

15515 Warwick
I'm going to say Warwick & Midland, the garage door was on Midland.

She lived there w/ 3 of her daughters.

(Message edited by club boss on May 27, 2007)

Vetalalumni

Post Number: 93
Posted on Sunday, May 27, 2007 - 4:09 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Lived in South Rosedale Greenview north of Lyndon from 74 to 79.

Ray1936 and Club_boss:
Do either of you recall that for a short period, approximately circa 1975 to 1977, there was a Junior Achievement office on the south side of Grand River near either Warwick or Piedmont?

Also, I've been trying to recall the name of the church facing Fenkell between Glastonbury and Artesian? It was two city blocks wide and blocked Stahelin from reaching Fenkell? It was always crowded in the 1970's.

Lastly, do you recall the Foster family? I think they lived a few houses north of Fenkell (near the island) on the east side of Warwick.

65memories

Post Number: 410
Posted on Sunday, May 27, 2007 - 4:39 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Vetal...
Did you know the Nichols family, who lived two houses north of Lyndon on Greenview during that time. Was the Foster family Lisa and Dawn Foster? The church is Greater Ebenezer Church.
I do remember the JA office on G.R. Don't know what cross street. The cleaners you referred to earlier is Indian Village cleaners...it's still there.

Vetalalumni

Post Number: 95
Posted on Sunday, May 27, 2007 - 5:30 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

65memories:
Yeah, that is the Foster family I'm referring to. I knew the son Bill Foster through my wife. My wife's girlfriend Elaine, married Bill Foster in the 80's at the Foster family house on Warwick.

In the late 80's and early 90's Bill and Elaine Foster lived in South Rosedale Park with their big Golden Retrievers in the house at the northeast corner of Faust and Eaton.

The Nichols family sounds very familiar. Did they have a young son? And were they on the east or west side of Greenview? I think it was the west side of the street.

Greater Ebenezer Church, was it called that back in the70's?

Indian Village Cleaners, yep, that is the one. What was the name of the Dentist Office right next store (to the west) of the cleaners?

(Message edited by vetalalumni on May 27, 2007)

65memories

Post Number: 411
Posted on Sunday, May 27, 2007 - 8:11 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Small world...all the Fosters were students of mine when I taught them at Coffey Junior High and later at Henry Ford High. I used to run into Bill when he lived on Faust.

Jon Nichols and his wife Diane were teachers in Detroit. Jon was John Nichols son, the ex-Police Chief and Oakland County Sheriff.

I'll try to find the other answers for you.

Ray1936

Post Number: 1500
Posted on Sunday, May 27, 2007 - 8:57 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"15515 Warwick
I'm going to say Warwick & Midland, the garage door was on Midland. She lived there w/ 3 of her daughters."

Yep, that was right next door to me. My neighbors were the Kolasinskis, who bought the place in 77 or early 78, probably from your grandmother. Spent a lot of time there as we were close friends. There was a large family room at the back of the house, might have been a porch conversion, but Dick Kolasinski and I spent hours there playing backgammon at a buck a game.

Ray1936

Post Number: 1501
Posted on Sunday, May 27, 2007 - 8:58 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Vetal, sorry, but my answer is "no" to all three questions.

Vetalalumni

Post Number: 101
Posted on Sunday, May 27, 2007 - 11:13 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Other families I was acquainted with were:
- Lundy family on Warwick
- Kirkland family on Avon
- Daniels family on Ashton
- Traylor family on Rosemont
- Beach family on Stahelin
- Harris family on Ashton
- Gieger family on Greenview
- Apt family on Greenview
- Cavanaugh family on Lyndon
- Thomas family on (either Grandville or Westwood)
- Beverly Payne family on Longacre
- Hodge family on Longacre

(Message edited by vetalalumni on May 28, 2007)

Arc312
Username: Arc312

Post Number: 38
Posted on Monday, May 28, 2007 - 1:00 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I grew up listening to my mother, aunts, uncles, and grandparents talking about their lives on Bretton. I've realized that the neighborhoods I've grown up in have yet to compare to that of North Rosedale Park.

Vetalalumni

Post Number: 116
Posted on Monday, May 28, 2007 - 1:19 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Famous (or infamous) Rosedale Park residents, both past and present, unconfirmed:
- Emmanuel Steward
- Ted Nugent
- Diana Ross
- Leon Spinks (ex-Boxer, drove Corvette on wrong side of the street)
- Milton McCrory (welterweight boxer out of Kronk)
- Howard Porter (ex-Piston, recently deceased)
- Maryann Mahaffey (Socialist, longtime Detroit Council-Woman, from 1973 to 2005, deceased 2006)

56packman

Post Number: 1359
Posted on Monday, May 28, 2007 - 2:12 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

There were a number of very successful business professionals who lived in Rosedale park, perhaps not "famous" names, but solid citizens who earned their way into one of Detroit's top neighborhoods.

Vetalalumni

Post Number: 121
Posted on Monday, May 28, 2007 - 2:14 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

George C. Scott, the Actor, attended Redford High School. Did Mr. Scott reside in Rosedale Park?

Club_boss

Post Number: 108
Posted on Monday, May 28, 2007 - 9:39 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

As I recall it was an older couple that purchased their large home.

The room you are referring to, we called it a sunroom; was refinished prior to my family purchasing the home.

My grandmother, while she did live there w/ 3 of her daughters, was not on the title; her daughters were.

My grandmothers’ last name, as well as one of her daughters, was Ramirez, grandma’s first name was Ruby, and the two daughters that would have needed to sign the paperwork were Beatrice (Bea) and Rita.

It was a beautiful home.

They found a home out in Franklin Village, paid $68,000.00 for it, and left the city.

Today they are still in that home, it’s paid for, and home values have gone up so much they could never afford the area today.

Now the area has these mansions that dwarf their modest home.

Grandma died in 2006, one of her daughters that lived w/ her passed away just a couple of months ago as well.

Small world

Ray1936

Post Number: 1506
Posted on Monday, May 28, 2007 - 12:35 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"Small world".

Sure is, boss. The house on the other side of me at 15492 Warwick was once owned by Billy Rogell, he of the Tigers and Detroit City Council. We were close friends with the new owners of that place also, and we got chuckle after chuckle at all of the City of Detroit property we found in the garage. Everything from DFD ladders to street signs. I have a great photo of the three houses...I'll scan it and post it later...

Whithorn11446
Username: Whithorn11446

Post Number: 94
Posted on Monday, May 28, 2007 - 2:56 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Some other notable Rosedale Park residents over the years have included the following:

Harold Johns-15830 Warwick; Owned Park Motor Sales auto dealership.

Gregory Donovan-16501 Shaftsburg; Former Detroit attorney who served as John Nichols 1973 mayoral campaign manager

Dr. Florian Muske-19544 Bretton; Area dentist that served as Detroit Red Wing team dentist

Dr. Samuel Brownell-16525 Warwick: Former Detroit Public Schools Superintendent during 1960's. Is this too far North for consideration as North Rosedale ?

Martha Griffiths-16603 Warwick; U.S. House of Representatives 1955-75

Thomas Poindexter-167780 Edinborough; Attorney linked to homeowners associations, Detroit City Council, judge

Roman Gribbs-16515 Edinborough; Former Detroit Mayor, Wayne County Sherriff

Stanley Gruszkowski-16801; Former City of Detroit assessor

Vetalalumni

Post Number: 134
Posted on Monday, May 28, 2007 - 3:10 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I recall hearing that Charlton Heston had some ties to both Rosedale Park and Redford High School. Can anyone shed some light on that?

And did Anita Baker have a house in RP at some point?

There was also talk that some of Michael Jackson's affluent relatives resided in Rosedale Park in the 70's. I don't recall ever seeing Jacko around RP myself.

65memories

Post Number: 412
Posted on Monday, May 28, 2007 - 4:52 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Ray, regarding that Warwick St. sign you have out there in Nevada...did you steal it from Billy Rogell's garage?

Vetalalumni

Post Number: 135
Posted on Monday, May 28, 2007 - 5:15 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Here is a photograph of one of the June Picnics/block parties circa 1975.

Kurwo
Username: Kurwo

Post Number: 872
Posted on Monday, May 28, 2007 - 5:22 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I lived the wrong side of six mile to be in Rosedale, but most of my compatriots at St. Scholastica lived over there.

Seems to me that one of the big hits that rosdale park took was when Mr. Poux was shot in his house by a burglar. That scared a batch of my friends' families out to the burbs.

Ray1936

Post Number: 1507
Posted on Monday, May 28, 2007 - 5:33 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"Ray, regarding that Warwick St. sign you have out there in Nevada...did you steal it from Billy Rogell's garage?"

LOL, memories. Naw, he had moved out before the street signs were replaced with the green ones. A year after I moved to Vegas (1985) I came back for a retirement party and drove by the old home on Warwick. On the corner of Keeler, the street sign had been knocked down somehow, so I rescued it. Just couldn't turn down that serendipitous happening.

65memories

Post Number: 413
Posted on Monday, May 28, 2007 - 6:08 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

By the way, Ray and Boss...just went by all three Warwick homes (Rogell's address was 15491) on the way to Little Caesar's to pick up a pizza (remember when that place had a dining room)and all three homes look fantastic...they are in excellent shape and landscaped nicely. If I ever figure out how to post a pic, I'll post a photo of all three as they exist today.

Winstin_o_boogie_iii
Username: Winstin_o_boogie_iii

Post Number: 47
Posted on Monday, May 28, 2007 - 6:19 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

That pic shows a gent in what appears to be the Honolulu Blue and Silver-#33-who's jersey I wonder.

Vetalalumni

Post Number: 138
Posted on Monday, May 28, 2007 - 7:09 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Great question regarding the # 33 Detroit Lion football jersey. I don't know the answer. Anybody?

Blackhelicopter
Username: Blackhelicopter

Post Number: 11
Posted on Monday, May 28, 2007 - 7:39 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

re dentist office on Grand River: I can't remember the name, but I may have gone there as a child and my dentist's name was Dr. Fuller.

Regarding the church Ebenezer discussed above, that's where I went to kindergarten back in the 70's. :-)

Vetalalumni

Post Number: 144
Posted on Monday, May 28, 2007 - 10:50 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

My Dentist as a teenager had his office in the building at the corner of Grand River and Glastonbury. However, Dr. Fuller does not sound familiar. I would walk there for routine check-ups, but on one occasion I had to be sedated. My mother had to escort me and she parked in the lot behind the building in the alley area.

56packman

Post Number: 1362
Posted on Tuesday, May 29, 2007 - 1:41 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Going into Grandmont from Rosedale, does anyone know anything about the Gillis reality? this storefront has just sat locked in time, empty. I worked in the area from '92-'04 and never saw any activity, save for additional boarding up of the front of the building as glass was broken. The interior had some fancy millwork on the walls and a faux fireplace. The sign goes back to the 20's or 30's.

Gillis

Vetalalumni

Post Number: 151
Posted on Tuesday, May 29, 2007 - 1:48 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

A Google search returned the following:

Gillis Realty Company (313) 272-5170 16340 Grand River Avenue, Detroit, MI 48227

and the image map shows it to be located on the southwest corner of Grand River and Asbury park.

56packman

Post Number: 1363
Posted on Tuesday, May 29, 2007 - 1:55 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I know where it is, I took the picture (I used to work across the street from it) I am wondering what is going on? Does some widow own the building and won't give up on the fact that the business is cooked?

Rustic
Username: Rustic

Post Number: 3116
Posted on Tuesday, May 29, 2007 - 7:43 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

56packman, if you know any westside oldtimers who were connected they might give you the skinny on that place off line.

Bvos

Post Number: 2183
Posted on Tuesday, May 29, 2007 - 4:45 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The Gillis Realty office has been in its current state (ie. who knows what the heck is going on there) for years. Nothing seems to have happened there in about a decade or so.

Regarding the Ebeneezer church, that was originally built as First Church of the Nazarene. They've since moved out to Novi/Livonia and are the glass church on I-275 with the huge cross that is actually a cell phone tower.

For the questions regarding Grand River, check at this closely related thread about Grandland and Grand River:

https://www.atdetroit.net/forum/mes sages/5/102621.html?1180465414

65, I used to work for GRDC. GRDC is working on moving to the old karate studio offices (don't know what it was before the karate place). They've raise 1/3 of the money and seem to be stalled out there. Don't know what their plans are to raise the remaining 2/3.

I think the historic district designation will be a benefit to the neighborhood. It's a proven way to keep architecturally significant neighborhoods solid. The key is the enforcement. Given the resources the Detroit Historic District Commission has it can be real hit or miss. They can keep the vinyl siding, cheap white vinyl windows and bizare "renovations" out of the neighborhood. They can also undertake "deomolition by neglect" proceedings against a building owner. This standard is much lower than the existing standards for dangerous buildings.

The one nice thing about the designation is that homeowners can qualify for a 25% tax break on renovations they do to their house, even once that have nothing to do with the historic exterior of the house (furnace, kitchen, bathroom, etc.).

It's one more tool in the tool box for keeping a solid neighborhood IMO. I really think Grandmont and North Rosedale should strongly consider becoming historic as well. They're more significant districts IMO.

Vetalalumni

Post Number: 172
Posted on Tuesday, May 29, 2007 - 5:29 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Bvos:
Yep, First Church of the Nazarene is how I remember that church in the 70's.

Was'nt there a Service Station at the northwest corner of West Outer Drive and Fenkell?

And was'nt there a car wash at the southeast corner of Grand River and Minock? Or maybe it was southeast corner of Grand River either Vaughan or Heyden? Whichever the case, it was set back a little from the street (Grand River).

What was the name of the church with the big steeple at the corner of Evergreen and Puritan, just south of Grand River?

Iheartthed

Post Number: 847
Posted on Tuesday, May 29, 2007 - 5:33 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I was in Detroit this past weekend. I could see some minor evidence of decline in Rosedale Park (aka, "South Rosedale") but Grandmont looks just the same as it did the last time I saw it in 06. I didn't go into North Rosedale.

I was also in Boston Edison/Arden Park and the decline is a bit more evident in that area. One of my ideas for that area was that someone convert those larger homes into multiple condo's. Would the historical district designation allow that?

I was visiting my aunt on the far east side (in the Morningside area) and was kind of surprised to see her taking her plants indoors at dusk for fear of them being stolen. Sadly, she's ready to leave the city, but I can't blame her much considering what she's had to put up with over the past several years (compared to how stable her neighborhood was when she moved in 15 years ago).

Vetalalumni

Post Number: 220
Posted on Wednesday, May 30, 2007 - 10:53 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Winstin_o_boogie_iii:
"That pic shows a gent in what appears to be the Honolulu Blue and Silver-#33-who's jersey I wonder."

Probably Nick Pietrosante. Please see (May 30, 2007) https://www.atdetroit.net/forum/mes sages/5/77805.html?1180573407

Norm
Username: Norm

Post Number: 73
Posted on Thursday, May 31, 2007 - 2:08 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The death of Mr. Poux was one of the saddest events of my life. I grew up with his kids and my parents used to play bridge with Mr. and Mrs. Poux a lot. St. mary's Church was standing room only for his funeral and the Community House was packed for the reception afterwards.

By the way, my folks still live in the same house they have had on Warwick since 1977.

Bvos

Post Number: 2186
Posted on Thursday, May 31, 2007 - 3:05 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The church at the corner of Evergreen and Grand River (with Puritan running behind the church) was originally 8th (might have been 7th) Church of Christ, Science. The church sold the building back in the 90s and moved up Grand River near Telegraph to a much less ostentatious building.

Mr. Rackam provided $10,000 to the church to assist with building it. This was one of the largest gifts he ever gave to an neighborhood based Christian Scientist church (he was a Christian Scientist). The church has an outstanding pipe organ in it, one of the finest in the city. I'm told that it and Bushnell Congregational Church have two of the best pipe organs in the city for neighborhood based (ie. not downtown or denominational headquarters) churches.

The Christian Science church was bought by Emmanuel Grace Temple. They've maintained the building fairly marginally and have done some financial tricks to pull equity out of the building to finance an unsustainable financial picture. They're now trying to sell it (it appears to be vacant) for a ridiculous sum of money.

Southwestmap
Username: Southwestmap

Post Number: 826
Posted on Thursday, May 31, 2007 - 3:18 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I wonder if anyone knows if Rosedale Park was Kilpatrick territory or Hendrix territory in the last election? I ask because people in the Hubbard Farms neighborhood (big Hendrix sign territory) believe that they are being punished a little with poor city services, being ignored by DPD brass, etc.

At any rate, the 1970's picnic photo was sad to me - it came from a time when sincere people still believed that Detroit had a future, that neighborhoods could be integrated and survive, etc.

Corktowner
Username: Corktowner

Post Number: 13
Posted on Thursday, May 31, 2007 - 3:19 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I too lived in SRP. It was the best time of my life. The house I lived in was located at the southwest corner of Rosemont and Chalfonte on a double lot. Man, how I hated cutting the lawn or raking the yard, and shoveling snow, although we did have the sidewalks cleared by a service, but I cannot remember the name. Remember the Ward Patrol in NRP?
That Little Caesars was know as Little Caesars Family Inn, they had the first big screen TV I had seen at the time. We went there most Fridays. How about the Village Party Store? We spent a lot $$$ there. Grandland had a Cunningham's, A&P and another grocery store on the Grand River side of the shopping center.
My aunt lived in Grandmont on Rutland. It was fun having family nearby. We had a huge backyard with an above ground pool and a great deck to enjoy the long and sometimes hot summer days.
If my company had not moved me to Chicago, I would have most likely purchased that house from my parents when they decided they didn't need so large a house and yard.
I really miss those days when we were young and carefree. I saw the neighborhood and house in August of 2005, and it looked great! I mean it looked a little better than I remember growing up.

Norm
Username: Norm

Post Number: 74
Posted on Thursday, May 31, 2007 - 3:57 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Southwest,

Freeman Hendrix lives in North Rosedale Park, so it was probably fertile territory for him. He did well there in the primary, but I think Kilpatrick made up ground in the general. I wonder how the election would have turned out if Rosa Parks had died two weeks after the election and not before.

65memories

Post Number: 416
Posted on Thursday, May 31, 2007 - 4:30 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I think Hendrix took The Rosedales and Grandmont. With Hendrix a resident, it wouldn't surpeise me if some form of punishment came from the Kilpatrick camp.