Discuss Detroit » Hall of Fame Threads » Harper Woods » Archive through August 07, 2007 « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Zimm
Username: Zimm

Post Number: 20
Posted on Monday, August 06, 2007 - 2:29 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Mauser-you might just have met another HW neighbor online. i am tending to a house on Fleetwood, E of 94 for my family since the death of a relative recently. it's been in the family since they built in in the early '50's. there are still a number of people on the block who have lived there for 40 or even 50+ years. my dad has tons of great stories about the neighborhood from the great people to being teenagers right around the corner from the original "Hideout" to little things like the house across the street being built with an access hatch so that beer kegs could be rolled directly into a basement bar from the backyard.

the creek that once flowed through the neighborhood (Milk Creek, i think) went through my family's yard (double lot) and is now buried beneath the surface, with only a manhole cover in our yard and the neighbor's driveway to tell you there's something unusual under there.

the "For Sale" sign goes up this fall. and FWIW, i think there is only 1 black family on the block, and they've been there the better part of a decade, maybe more.

I'll be mowing the lawn, trying to avoid tickets...

Buddyinrichmond
Username: Buddyinrichmond

Post Number: 202
Posted on Monday, August 06, 2007 - 3:28 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

So where are all the Harper Woodsians moving to? Is it further out, nearer in or out of the state?

Tkshreve
Username: Tkshreve

Post Number: 105
Posted on Monday, August 06, 2007 - 3:47 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

QUOTE:
So where are all the Harper Woodsians moving to? Is it further out, nearer in or out of the state?

yes

Pdombr
Username: Pdombr

Post Number: 23
Posted on Monday, August 06, 2007 - 4:22 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Mauser, where on Lochmoor, I am in the Woods.

Dan_the_man
Username: Dan_the_man

Post Number: 25
Posted on Monday, August 06, 2007 - 4:49 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Meaghansdad,
I live with my parents, but we were not involved in the sale this year because we were too busy getting ready for my little brother's graduation party. We're in the house second from the end on the other side of the street.

Mauser765
Username: Mauser765

Post Number: 1746
Posted on Monday, August 06, 2007 - 4:52 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Heres the original Hideout Club, people like Bob Seger, Alice Cooper, Glen Frey and the MC5 played here:

http://www.detroitfunk.com/ima gecopyrighted/OCT06/DSC_1731.j pg

Heres some of my grandfathers photos, a few from a MayDay parade (including Belle Isle Nike missiles) , a couple from when Eastland first opened:

http://www.detroitfunk.com/200 7/06/11/malls_and_missile_laun chers.htm

Eec
Username: Eec

Post Number: 109
Posted on Monday, August 06, 2007 - 5:09 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Mauser765 said:
_____
The high school. Nothing wrong with faculty chaperoning a prom and being drunk, right ? I witnessed that three years straight now.
_____

Names, please. I know a couple of staff members there. Sounds like interesting gossip.

Goose
Username: Goose

Post Number: 42
Posted on Monday, August 06, 2007 - 5:10 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

yes, there was a driveby shooting on Danbury Lane about 2 years ago or so.... it was a drug situation, dude got gunned down on his front porch right around christmas time, the house was vacant forever and you could see the christmas tree in the window, i think you can still see some bullet holes in the bricks cause it was done with an automatic weapon, lots of bullets

the grey-green darker house in the middle of the block on danbury??? did you buy the repo-house with the inground pool in the backyard???

Reetz12
Username: Reetz12

Post Number: 184
Posted on Monday, August 06, 2007 - 5:18 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Quote: "So where are all the Harper Woodsians moving to? Is it further out, nearer in or out of the state?"

I currently reside on the border of Detroit/Harper Woods half of my front lawn is Harper Woods, the rest of my property is Detroit. So I might be considered an Harper Woodsian. My house is for sale...and once I sell it I will be moving downtown detroit.

And if you need to find a cop, just drive over 25 mph on Beaconsfield, I'm sure that you will meet one!

Mauser765

Post Number: 1748
Posted on Monday, August 06, 2007 - 7:28 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"25 mph on Beaconsfield"

Just saw a cop hiding behind Lowes with the radar gun. It is residential with an elementary and high school along it.

"Names, please."

I aint talking - I still have to do work with those folks occasionally. But as far as my assertions go - I have photographs to back them up. heh.

Danny
Username: Danny

Post Number: 6324
Posted on Monday, August 06, 2007 - 8:23 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Newport1128,

Since Harper Woods no longer have a High School which it used to be on Beaconsfield Rd. near Vernier Ave. most of the kids who lived in Harper Woods must go to Grosse Pointe North High School. Both Grosse Pointe Woods and Harper Woods Public Schools are joined but not officially.

Danny

Post Number: 6325
Posted on Monday, August 06, 2007 - 8:31 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Mauser765

You quote that Harper Woods will be predominantly black in 10 years.

NO! Not yet. By 2017 Harper Woods black population would be near 50% due to white ownership just a couple of blocks near Grosse Pointe Woods border. Black folks in Harper Woods will be filling up that neighborhood as far as Harper/ I-94 FWY. Harper Woods will be mostly black until after 2030. The five Snobbyvilles will be mostly white with a 10 to 15% black population if the white folks managed to keep up with the property values and sell their homes in secret with out getting caught by HUD.

Danny

Post Number: 6326
Posted on Monday, August 06, 2007 - 8:35 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Dan_the_man,

I didn't get so much bad information. I get my infomation from the Ghetto that includes the Ghettoman and his Street Prophets.

If you want to hear about demographics and social problems get it from the streets. Doesn't matter of he or she are wrong and then do some research it match their issues.

Granmontrules
Username: Granmontrules

Post Number: 141
Posted on Monday, August 06, 2007 - 8:35 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Why do people call it Harper Weeds?

Newport1128
Username: Newport1128

Post Number: 85
Posted on Monday, August 06, 2007 - 9:02 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Danny, your information is as bad as your grammar and your spelling.

Mauser765

Post Number: 1749
Posted on Monday, August 06, 2007 - 9:05 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"Since Harper Woods no longer have a High School which it used to be on Beaconsfield Rd. near Vernier Ave. most of the kids who lived in Harper Woods must go to Grosse Pointe North High School. Both Grosse Pointe Woods and Harper Woods Public Schools are joined but not officially."

Harper Woods has a brand new state of the art high school, opens this year I believe.

Harper Woods schools have nothing to do with the Grosse Pointes.

Half of Harper Woods is within the Grosse Pointe school system - which Grosse Pointe Woods is also part of. GPW does not have its own system.

My mother and uncle went to Grosse Pointe High School - when there was no "north" or "south". They believe North was built to keep the HW and GPW kids out of South.

Mackinaw
Username: Mackinaw

Post Number: 3496
Posted on Monday, August 06, 2007 - 9:16 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Well, it was built because the High was overcrowded, and GP Woods was sprawling so far to the north people were living 4-5 miles from the High. So, by definition, North was built to get GPW kids out of the original high. Worked out nicely...GP South is always ranked much higher by US News and World Report :-)

Meaghansdad
Username: Meaghansdad

Post Number: 34
Posted on Tuesday, August 07, 2007 - 12:10 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Goose,
Thats the one. Made @ 80k moving in. Already added another bedroom. Addition and finished basement coming soon.

Quozl
Username: Quozl

Post Number: 1154
Posted on Tuesday, August 07, 2007 - 12:18 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

...GP South is always ranked much higher by US News and World Report.

Who the hell are they to rank and rate schools? Who cares what they say about our schools? Oh forget it, I just noticed who posted such pompous idiocy.

Mackinaw

Post Number: 3503
Posted on Tuesday, August 07, 2007 - 12:56 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Well, they do. And it bears out in reality.

Just the facts.

The only public school ranked higher in the state is the International Academy in Oakland County, but they have a system of admissions if I recall.

You say pompousness. I say pride.

Bearinabox
Username: Bearinabox

Post Number: 253
Posted on Tuesday, August 07, 2007 - 1:16 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

^^The International Academy's "system of admissions" is a lottery. They do have a placement test, but they can't turn anyone away based on their test score. And if you're referring to the Newsweek ranking (I assume you are, since I've never heard of US News ranking high schools), it's based on the average number of AP and IB exams taken by each graduating senior, which basically guarantees the International Academy's top spot since every graduating senior there takes at least 6 IB exams. The only schools that outranked it nationwide had their students take both AP and IB exams. So, while I'm not bashing Grosse Pointe South, as I have no idea how good of a school it is, I don't put much stock in those rankings. How did we get talking about this again?

Jerome81
Username: Jerome81

Post Number: 1603
Posted on Tuesday, August 07, 2007 - 1:42 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I know several families that live in Harper Woods. Not my kinda place, but they are nice, modest homes, and some of the lots are ENORMOUS.

I kinda get the impression it is made up of a lot of retired folks and a lot of folks just starting off.

Spent a little time along Kelly. I didn't feel it qualified as even below average, and that's with non-Detroiter eyes. Seemed more than fine the several times I've shopped there.

I know one family that is looking to leave. Partly because they're growing a family and say the school system sucks (don't know if it is true or not), partly because they've been doing much better income wise, and partly because they say the area is going downhill.

I won't get started on the "going downhill excuse" (of which I don't think it really is, and I tire of people cutting and running), but there was a somewhat scary incident last year when a wanted drug and multiple murder suspect had been hiding in his girlfriend's basement near their home. But other than that, I haven't heard of much (though this one instance always comes up as being evidence of a crime problem). Yeah it is scary, but I don't see it as indicative of a big problem in HW.

Oh, and they're looking to move to Grosse Pointe or possibly some place at like Metro Parkway and 94 somewhere. Schools are a consideration, but I also know they are the type that like big houses and big yards. I think they like their home in HW but it really can't handle another kid comfortably. I believe this to be primary reason for leaving, though they do cite the schools and the concern about the neighborhood.

So, in conclusion, I say it is nice, modest, generally good people. I could be happy there but would be happier someplace else.

Oh, and why is it that I swear Detroit is the only area I hear about where people constantly use "neighborhood going downhill" as a reason to move? There can't be an expanding number of "bad neighbors" that constantly expand and ruin neighborhoods. And beyond that, is there some sort of mentality in Detroit that doesn't exist in most other places that cause people to be overly paranoid and cut-and-run rather than proactively work to ensure their neighborhood and city remains a nice place? I don't really get it. I just hear so many people that seem to have a paranoia in Detroit, and one instance of a crime becomes proof of the area's inhabitability. I guess I just view it as crime happens everywhere, especially in higher-populated areas, and that it doesn't take much to prevent an area from having big problems. The problems come when every good person gets paranoid and takes off because it just opens the door for the bad stuff to show up. Not saying it can all be prevented, but I just get the feeling that in Metro Detroit most people don't even try. I'm wondering why that is. And the strange thing is that, at least for me, it is the people I would consider intelligent, progressive, tolerant, and somewhat stubborn that do this.

I don't know. I just don't understand it. And it really does seem to be a Metro Detroit thing. I find it very very odd. My only explanation is that is has to date back to the racist days in Detroit, the restrictions in certain suburbs, the block-busting, and continues to this day. Its a shame actually. But it just seems everyone is overly sensitive. A minority moves in, or a crime occurs, and suddenly panic sets in. I feel like most areas people would work together to keep the neighborhood a good place, and work together and with police to solve the crime issue.

Hell, even in a place like Chicago or San Francisco, you hear about car breakins, assaults, rapes, and in GOOD neighborhoods. Yet I rarely hear of people who are ready to sell and run. Instead it seems people come together, watch out, and work together with police to try to find the guy. These are big cities. If people can do it in the evil big city, why don't they want to do it in Detroit or its suburbs? A few assaults in Harper Woods, and people would be throwing up for-sale signs.

I'm probably stereotyping a bit (and this post is way too long) but the more I see outside and inside Metro Detroit, the more this type of thing really stands out to me.

(Message edited by Jerome81 on August 07, 2007)

Hpgrmln
Username: Hpgrmln

Post Number: 76
Posted on Tuesday, August 07, 2007 - 2:06 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

National Average per 100,000: (2004 stats)
Murder:6.9
Rape:34.6
Robbery:195.4
Assualt:340.1
Theft:2734.7
Car theft:526.5
burglary: 814.5

Harper Woods: (pop. 14,000)
Murder-1 (7.2 per 100K)
rape-5 (36.2 per 100K)
robbery-60 (434 per 100k)
assualt-32 (231.4 per 100K)
theft-919 (6646.9 per 100k)
auto theft-347 (2509.4 per 100K)
burglary-130 (940.3 per 100k)

Thats about the most reliable info I can find.

Hpgrmln
Username: Hpgrmln

Post Number: 77
Posted on Tuesday, August 07, 2007 - 6:54 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

In comparison, Berkley has about 1000 more people.
Their stats:
Murder:0
Rape: 1 (6.6)
Robbery: 9(59)
Assualt: 10 (65.6)
Theft: 180 (1180.5)
Car theft: 16 (104.9)
Burglary: 53 (347.6)

Thats the closest city populationwise I had to compare HW to.

Mauser765

Post Number: 1751
Posted on Tuesday, August 07, 2007 - 8:08 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

There has been 4 carjacking incidents in 5 years here, which leads to a swarm of police forces coming into the city chasing them. The carjackings do not happen here, something about the proximity to the expressway or something, but they tend to dump and run here.

The last time this happened, I glanced out the window of the upstairs bathroom - I saw three officers, guns drawn, hopping fences and running across my yard. Two yards over =POP POP POP POP POP=...Two of the officers opened fire. In somebodys BACK YARD ! I cant imagine what would have happened if I was doing yard work and came around the garage to be greeting by three police with guns drawn jumping my fence and firing weapons like children playing cowboys and indians.

From my vantage I never saw the suspect fire a weapon - just these three cops running through yards shooting.

Again - I have the photos to back up this story.

Theres plenty of crazy crime here. I dont know that its beyond what any other city experiences. A guy just murdered his xgirlfriend a couple streets down, that was a few months ago. A neighbor on the corner had their house broken into and emptied while they were away for the weekend.

"Not my kinda place," + "and I tire of people cutting and running"

Jerome that was a REALLY long post for somebody who doesnt live here. If its so great here, come on in and buy a house, you have your pick.

Im getting out because its "Not my kinda place". You call it what you want. I dont live to support a municipality - people gotta do what they gotta do.

Pgn421
Username: Pgn421

Post Number: 101
Posted on Tuesday, August 07, 2007 - 8:22 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Woodmont here. Went to Bishop Gallagher class of 1974!

Danny

Post Number: 6329
Posted on Tuesday, August 07, 2007 - 8:45 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Newport1128,

Everyone has poor English grammar. Including college students and we sometimes replace some words with slang. Please read everyone's codespeak carefully before you post your viewpoints.

Danny

Post Number: 6330
Posted on Tuesday, August 07, 2007 - 8:55 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Mauser765, you quote that Harper Woods has a brand new state of the art high school, opens this year I believe. Harper Woods schools have nothing to do with the Grosse Pointes.

According to the data from Schooldigger.com Harper Woods Public Schools has only three schools:

1. Beacon Elementary School

2. Tyrone Elementary School

and Harper Woods Secondary School. It's a upgraded both Middle and High School, But some kids from Harper Woods do go the Grosse Pointe North High School. My aquaintance who lived in Harper Woods just graduated from Grosse Pointe High School. Harper Woods don't have a its own full senior high school, it used to a long time ago now its called a secondary school.

Jazzstage
Username: Jazzstage

Post Number: 15
Posted on Tuesday, August 07, 2007 - 9:15 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

In the 70's and 80's, I lived on McCormick. We spent a lot of time riding our bikes through Harper Woods. We never had any friends that lived there though. We rarely saw any kids in HW at the time. It was all older people without kids at that time. It sounds like much has changed since then.

Mackinaw

Post Number: 3506
Posted on Tuesday, August 07, 2007 - 9:36 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Mauser, that is all really sad to hear. And I did not know the crime numbers, that were posted, were so bad. I assumed things were pretty okay because of the strong police force. The times I've spent there are always really quiet.

Theft is really high, but perhaps that is due to Eastland's presence? Burglary and murder aren't too far off the national pace. Clearly you'd like to do better. Car thefts are high but you can deal with that by taking precautions, using the garages available to everyone there. A lot of great neighborhoods are within the realm of car theft rings, but they survive.