Discuss Detroit » Hall of Fame Threads » Forbes says Detroit may be ghost city by 2100 » Archive through June 26, 2007 « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Bvos
Username: Bvos

Post Number: 2201
Posted on Tuesday, June 26, 2007 - 1:29 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Here's an interesting article from Forbes Magazine. They say Detroit may be a ghost city by 2100:

http://www.forbes.com/2007/06/ 11/ghost-cities-future-biz-cx_ 21cities_ee_0611ghostcities.ht ml

Tuere
Username: Tuere

Post Number: 19
Posted on Tuesday, June 26, 2007 - 1:40 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Kind of interesting they chose such a nice pic of Detroit's skyline for the article. You would think they'd want to show abandoned skyscrapers or neighborhoods to go along with the article's theme.

Rb336
Username: Rb336

Post Number: 265
Posted on Tuesday, June 26, 2007 - 1:51 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Detroit, Venice, Naples, San Francisco

Professorscott
Username: Professorscott

Post Number: 486
Posted on Tuesday, June 26, 2007 - 1:52 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Interesting. Here is a paragraph from that article (which was not about Detroit; we just got a big mention) with my comments.

"Whether these cities disappear entirely, of course, is an open question. Detroit's population has fallen by around a third since 1950..."

Nope, much more than that.

"...and now equals about 950,000."

Nope, less. We argued it in this blog and came up with low to mid 800s as a likely figure in 2007.

"It is expected to shrink slowly but steadily until at least 2030; unemployment inside the city is more than 10%. (The suburbs around Detroit, meanwhile, are growing.)"

Well, some of them.

"If trends hold, Detroit will be altered beyond recognition by 2100."

If you took someone who had last seen Detroit in (say) 1960, and brought them back today, my guess is they would claim it is already altered beyond recognition.

Thanks for the post! Interesting article.

Iheartthed
Username: Iheartthed

Post Number: 1033
Posted on Tuesday, June 26, 2007 - 2:03 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I wonder why they didn't mention New York as being threatened by natural disaster? There has been talk that global warming or a hurricane could flood out Manhattan.

Hans57
Username: Hans57

Post Number: 173
Posted on Tuesday, June 26, 2007 - 2:08 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Tsunami most likely for New York.

Professorscott

Post Number: 487
Posted on Tuesday, June 26, 2007 - 2:13 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Remember, New York City takes up five entire counties. It is kind of hard to imagine that huge chunks of that could be wiped out by one natural disaster unless it was a real doozy.

Imagine one event wiping out, say, Wayne, Oakland, Macomb, Washtenaw and Monroe Counties, and you'll have some sense of what I'm saying.

Danny
Username: Danny

Post Number: 6107
Posted on Tuesday, June 26, 2007 - 2:25 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Forbes is just playing with himself with his reports. Detroit will NOT be a ghost city by 2100. By 2100 Detroit's population would rebound about to 900,000 by then. It won't be black folks who would play a dominate role in Detroit. New Jobs, businesses, gentrification and rising property values will gobbled up the ghettos making room for new neighborhoods filled with hip cool skinny white kids and other ethnic diverse race. It would close as Seattle, Boston and Atlanta combined.

Thejesus
Username: Thejesus

Post Number: 1475
Posted on Tuesday, June 26, 2007 - 2:26 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

we already are a ghost city in a sense...

already urban explorers are examining our city's "ruins", trying to piece together what life must have been life back during the city's peak, much like people examine what's left of ancient Egypt or Rome...

Cman710
Username: Cman710

Post Number: 318
Posted on Tuesday, June 26, 2007 - 2:32 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I am not sure a tsunami is the most likely risk for New York. Tsunami's are caused by earthquakes, and to the best of my knowledge, there are no huge earthquakes that even rarely occur anywhere near enough to cause a problem. I could be wrong, but would like to see more evidence.

A really awful hurricane or rising ocean levels could badly impact Manhattan, most of which is at or near sea level. (The island was not actually as flat before it was settled, but was made flat over time as development progressed).

Jt1
Username: Jt1

Post Number: 9453
Posted on Tuesday, June 26, 2007 - 2:36 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I plan on leaving the city by 2100.

Jimaz
Username: Jimaz

Post Number: 2438
Posted on Tuesday, June 26, 2007 - 2:39 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

Tsunami most likely for New York.

Possibly from a volcano on La Palma in the Canary Islands, although there is some dispute about it.

Zephyrprocess
Username: Zephyrprocess

Post Number: 421
Posted on Tuesday, June 26, 2007 - 2:43 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

Remember, New York City takes up five entire counties. It is kind of hard to imagine that huge chunks of that could be wiped out by one natural disaster unless it was a real doozy.

Imagine one event wiping out, say, Wayne, Oakland, Macomb, Washtenaw and Monroe Counties, and you'll have some sense of what I'm saying.

I'm sorry, but that's just silly.

NYC is somewhere between 300-325 square miles. That's more than double the area of the City of Detroit (~140), but only half of Wayne County.

--Zephyr("I'm crossing the county line to avoid the tornado warning")process

Cmyk
Username: Cmyk

Post Number: 4
Posted on Tuesday, June 26, 2007 - 2:46 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'm with Jt1. I will have at least retired to Naples by then.

Lilpup
Username: Lilpup

Post Number: 2373
Posted on Tuesday, June 26, 2007 - 3:04 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

last large city located on a major waterway to become a ghost town is...?

Iheartthed
Username: Iheartthed

Post Number: 1034
Posted on Tuesday, June 26, 2007 - 3:24 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

^New Orleans...

Professorscott

Post Number: 488
Posted on Tuesday, June 26, 2007 - 3:31 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

OK, Zeph, I'll plead guilty to silly, but still: imagine a 300+ square mile area being wiped by a single natural disaster.

When that area isn't below sea level to start with.

Gistok
Username: Gistok

Post Number: 4668
Posted on Tuesday, June 26, 2007 - 3:34 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I doubt that a Tsunami would damage much more than the southeastern coast of Staten Island, and the south coasts of Brooklyn and Jamaica Bay in Queens.

Manhattan is protected by New York Harbor and the Verrazzano Narrows, and it is doubtful that a Tsunami would be coming up and into Long Island Sound to wreck havoc on the Bronx, and northern Manhattan, Brooklyn & Queens.

Maybe some big waves would come in from the south and east, but hardly the killer waves that a normal Tsunamis packs.

Of course if a super Tsunami were to originate from a huge landslide of the Los Palma Volcano in the Canary Islands (as Jimaz mentioned) generating 200 foot waves... then all bets are off.

Cman710
Username: Cman710

Post Number: 321
Posted on Tuesday, June 26, 2007 - 3:40 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I am from the southeast part of Staten Island, so I hope not! Actually, where I am from on the southeast part of the island is not by the coast. Where I am is quite a bit elevated. But there are some areas right on the coast that have some flooding problems hat would clearly be affected. Still, a tsunami hitting the NYC area remains very, very unlikely.

Alan55
Username: Alan55

Post Number: 296
Posted on Tuesday, June 26, 2007 - 3:56 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The problem with forecasts such as this, besides coming from a questionable source like Forbes, is that they are all-straight line predictions. They make no allowance for dramatic changes in politics, economics, or social behavior. In 1900, Las Vegas had a population of 26. Extrapolating from 1900, it would seem logical that Las Vegas would have about 150 people in 2000. Instead, due to the gaming explosion of the 1950s and 60s, it has several million.

It would be more helpful if these magazines concentrated on what will happen in the next 10 or 15 years, rather than the next 90.

Elsuperbob
Username: Elsuperbob

Post Number: 4
Posted on Tuesday, June 26, 2007 - 3:58 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The list is as silly as most other Forbes lists. San Francisco made a ghost town because of an earthquake? Naples because of a volcanic eruption? Both have been through them and both of them have become larger and greater cities since. And Detroit isn't the first city in history to go through economic disasters and population flight. And like those others (Rome and Constantinople both fell to populations of about 50,000) it can rebound.

A planner I met in Reykjavik a couple weeks ago, Trausti Valsson, believes global warming will eventually force people out of the south, to the coasts and then back inland to the upper midwest. Especially by the end of the century as Canada's heartland warms and the Northwest Passage opens up he believes this area will be a major center of economic activity. And perhaps Detroit, on the border as it is, would be right in the middle of it all. That book can be seen at his website, http://hi.is/~tv/. I think it's in chapter 4, page 92 or around there in "How the World Will Change"

Hans57
Username: Hans57

Post Number: 174
Posted on Tuesday, June 26, 2007 - 4:12 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

By 2100 all of the Great Lakes Megalopolis will have merged to form one super suburb. Cleveland, Detroit, Indianapolis and Chicago will be an indiscernible mess. Detroit existing as a separate municipality is another question though.

Burnsie
Username: Burnsie

Post Number: 1052
Posted on Tuesday, June 26, 2007 - 4:34 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Alan55 wrote of Las Vegas, "it has several million." Actually, the 2005 Census estimate was 575,973. At the rate it's growing, it may be closer to 650,000 by now. The whole metropolitan area (Clark County) had about 1.8 million people in 2005.

Supersport
Username: Supersport

Post Number: 11615
Posted on Tuesday, June 26, 2007 - 4:34 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Predicting what a city/population will be 100 years from now is about as accurate as a 10 day weather forecast.

Patrick
Username: Patrick

Post Number: 4597
Posted on Tuesday, June 26, 2007 - 4:40 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I wonder if the majority of housing stock will remain standing in 100 years. Look at the thousands of poorly built WW2 era homes that are now starting to show their age.

Bulletmagnet
Username: Bulletmagnet

Post Number: 712
Posted on Tuesday, June 26, 2007 - 4:52 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I find it interesting when it comes to Detroit they show a picture of the downtown skyline. Why don't they use some photos such as mine, to illustrate the vast expanding prairies within the city's boundaries?

http://farm1.static.flickr.com /147/408299321_4069aa53fd_b.jp g
http://farm1.static.flickr.com /159/428514085_183c95d148_b.jp g
http://farm1.static.flickr.com /207/444133303_24805e211b_b.jp g
http://farm1.static.flickr.com /226/448793589_6bec3c3cf6_b.jp g

If the world floods because my F-150 earth killer melts the polar ice caps, it'll be cool to dock my F-150 runabout at the top floor of the Renaissance Center.

Rms
Username: Rms

Post Number: 52
Posted on Tuesday, June 26, 2007 - 4:54 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

There were two smallish (2.4 & 2.6) earthquakes in Manhattan as recent as 2001. Here's an excerpt from a TLC program on large cities at risk for a natural disaster. I had read separately of scientists who are concerned that within the next 100 years NYC is statistically likely to have a much stronger earthquake. I think these geologic facts are way off of people's radar regarding NY.

"Manhattan Island is crisscrossed by earthquake faults, and twice in its history — 1737 and 1884 the nation's biggest city has been jolted by relatively mild quakes in the 5.0 range. Whenever the next one strikes, scientists worry that it could be far bigger. Much of Manhattan sits on a deep layer of soft, post-Ice Age sediment over extremely hard rock, a juxtaposition of geological extremes that bodes ominously. A 6.0 quake could shake the city's buildings with nearly the intensity of the 6.8 quake in Kobe. Inexplicably, the city dragged its feet about adding earthquake-mitigating requirements to its building codes until the mid-1990s. The generally well-designed towers in the Manhattan's skyline most likely would survive a 6.0, but the unreinforced masonry townhouses where most residents live might not fare so well. A 1989 study estimated that a quake would cause more than 130 simultaneous blazes, which could...."

Detroitbill
Username: Detroitbill

Post Number: 268
Posted on Tuesday, June 26, 2007 - 4:54 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

A unusual prediction. Anyone visiting in the mid 1980s downtown and coming back today say the city downtown at least looks much better.. No one can predict the future mind you but its most likely a city on a major waterway with international positioning will become a ghost town. Its way to strategically located. The most interesting thing left out is we are located in one of the most resource rich areas in the country. When the rest of the country goes dry we won't be in the same position. Clearly, people will not run away from resource rich areas, they may redefine themselves ,but ,actually most cities do in a 100 year time frame.

Michigan
Username: Michigan

Post Number: 632
Posted on Tuesday, June 26, 2007 - 5:02 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

This ruined my high from the Crain's article

Sumotect
Username: Sumotect

Post Number: 274
Posted on Tuesday, June 26, 2007 - 5:17 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Global warming will have a big negative effect on coastal cities. Detroit and the rest of the upper Midwest should be poised to take advantage of it.

Detroit is strategically located being at the center of one huge international megalopolis. It is already a huge trading port.

At some point in the very near future the lower property values will be noticed by investors.

Of course the global thirst for fresh water will make Michigan seem like the garden of eden.

All this area needs is leadership.