Discuss Detroit » Hall of Fame Threads » Civic Center on Kelly » Archive through March 28, 2007 « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Gibran
Username: Gibran

Post Number: 12
Posted on Monday, February 26, 2007 - 3:18 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Anyone with memories of civic center, A&P, Hardware store, GIft Shop,corner drug store and the little record shop next to the civic theater?// GA and Denby....

Pgn421
Username: Pgn421

Post Number: 35
Posted on Monday, February 26, 2007 - 3:21 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Morellis Music was next to the theatre!

Gtat44
Username: Gtat44

Posted on Monday, February 26, 2007 - 3:24 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

If you are talking about close to Denby. I remember Standard Auto Parts(also one near 6 & Gratiot)and Milroy's Fish and Chips.

Gibran

Post Number: 13
Posted on Monday, February 26, 2007 - 3:30 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Nice....there was Morellis music but also a little record store on the otherside...that went out of business in mid seventies. I used to cook at Milroy's and Fridays in lent was CRAZY...

Bobj
Username: Bobj

Post Number: 1747
Posted on Monday, February 26, 2007 - 4:07 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I remember Civic Music - they had a great selection and very good prices for a poor teenager.

They moved to Van Dyke in Utica back in the late 70's.

Gibran

Post Number: 16
Posted on Monday, February 26, 2007 - 6:05 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thanks so much...Bobj. I remember walking to the civic center as a wee kid. to see movies for .50 on Sat...in fact two movies and a cartoon, that dates me. I also remember being old enough to go to my first movie at night...Walked from Wayburn to GA everyday, and remember thinking that civic center was so great with its Sanders, Kressege's, and down the street near the bowling alley was a hobby shop. There were two bakeries (whitter, and Kelly)...My dad had a gas station in the area for a couple of years in the late seventies. Had many friends in the area. My first friend outside the neighborhood was Scott Rhodes (sorry scotty for the spelling), and I remember getting permission to visit him was a big journey for a second grader...in fact I couldn't imagine having my kids walk to Civic center or anywhere in first grade like we did in the sixties....

Gibran

Post Number: 17
Posted on Monday, February 26, 2007 - 6:08 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thanks so much...Bobj. I remember walking to the civic center as a wee kid. to see movies for .50 on Sat...in fact two movies and a cartoon, that dates me. I also remember being old enough to go to my first movie at night...Walked from Wayburn to GA everyday, and remember thinking that civic center was so great with its Sanders, Kressege's, and down the street near the bowling alley was a hobby shop. There were two bakeries (whitter, and Kelly)...My dad had a gas station in the area for a couple of years in the late seventies. Had many friends in the area. My first friend outside the neighborhood was Scott Rhodes (sorry scotty for the spelling), and I remember getting permission to visit him was a big journey for a second grader...in fact I couldn't imagine having my kids walk to Civic center or anywhere in first grade like we did in the sixties....

Jimaz
Username: Jimaz

Post Number: 1606
Posted on Monday, February 26, 2007 - 6:09 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Bobj:
quote:

Civic Music ... moved to Van Dyke in Utica back in the late 70's.

Ha! They're still there.

I was thinking about having them install a police scanner in my car. Are they any good at things like that? I know it's not difficult but I like to check references first.

Psip
Username: Psip

Post Number: 1456
Posted on Monday, February 26, 2007 - 7:07 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Jimaz, make sure !!! you get a state police licenses for a scanner in your car. Where it asks why you want it, say you are a hobbiest.
You mail the application in.. get it online.

Psip

Post Number: 1457
Posted on Monday, February 26, 2007 - 7:20 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Don't know if you are aware of this site:
http://www.radioreference.com/
It has almost everything you want or need to know about scanners.
BTW. Make sure you get a digital that will get the MPSCS. There is much info about the system on that site.

Detroitej72
Username: Detroitej72

Post Number: 496
Posted on Monday, February 26, 2007 - 8:31 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

There was also A.C.E. Hardware, Cunningham's, and a bike shop that I can't remember the name of.

We used to go to C-ham's and buy candy and take it into the Civic to catch a flick. I remember I saw Jaws there and it scared the sh!t out of me as a kid!

I always thought the basement inside Kressge's was kind of creepy.

Anyone remember a gift shop down Houston-Whittier called Snoopy's? They would donate the proceeds to help the humane society.

Jimaz
Username: Jimaz

Post Number: 1612
Posted on Monday, February 26, 2007 - 9:09 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Psip, see the thread Michigan Mobile Scanner Law Liberalized and thanks for that link!

MSP ignored my application, no doubt because the legislative change made it moot.

Psip

Post Number: 1459
Posted on Monday, February 26, 2007 - 9:29 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Neat! I didn't know that.

Send me an email, PSIPdetroit at Gmail the usual com

Gibran

Post Number: 19
Posted on Wednesday, February 28, 2007 - 2:12 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

There was a large gift/jewelry store on the corner across from c-hams....thought it might be that. I remember when there was a music showroom on the corner near Kressge's. Photoshop was across from K....lot's of stores before Malls. And by the way does anyone remember eastland before the roof? and their great Christmas display?//sorry new to site and tripping down pleasant memory lane...Denby 77

Gtat44

Post Number: 40
Posted on Wednesday, February 28, 2007 - 2:16 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I remember Eastland before the roof.....whoooo boy cold when you went to see Santa.

L.H.E. 82

Waxx
Username: Waxx

Post Number: 73
Posted on Thursday, March 01, 2007 - 9:24 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I remember going to the Civic Theater in the 80s with my uncle and grandfather and we'd see old movies, and we'd even go to Towne Club on Whittier and bring a wooden crate of 24 empty bottles and get refills with fresh bottles of the flavours of our choice, as well as go to the A&P on Hayes and Houston-Whittier, and on an even better day go to Chatham's on Morang & Kelly next door 2 Denby HS. And my mother and I and some friends of our would go to Kavan's-now Francel's Too on Morang down the street from Kaminski Chiropractic (This was [as far as I can recall] in the early 1980s). There was a Hospital/clinic @ Eastland, There was a Firestone, the Eastland Theater, and the Eastland Village had a West complex (they razed it in the early 90s to build Home Depot). Next door to that was/still is Regina/Notre Dame/Lutheran (now WCCCD) High Schools-they're next door to each other).

Just sharing some childhood memories of my own here.

(Message edited by waxx on March 01, 2007)

Kathinozarks
Username: Kathinozarks

Post Number: 227
Posted on Thursday, March 01, 2007 - 10:43 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Children in the 1960's could climb on the Lion and the Mouse statue and the Hippo statue at Eastland. I remember them to be so huge!

We have family pictures of us at Eastland posing at the flower beds. Grandma and grandpa stopped there after Easter Morning church service one year that we have pictures of, everyone all dressed up and shiny!

Mid -70's was fun for us young teen girls at Eastland Mall. Took the bus or had mom drop us off on Saturdays. It seemed the mall was always very busy. And lots of boys to follow around!

Kathinozarks

Post Number: 228
Posted on Thursday, March 01, 2007 - 10:47 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Was it the Civic Theater that had the sweeping red carpeted stairways on either side of the lobby to the restrooms (pink and black I think I remember for the ladies?)
I think I saw "Live and Let Die" there.

Gibran

Post Number: 29
Posted on Friday, March 02, 2007 - 9:18 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Civic Center was a destination for many...it was amazing that a young person in the sixties and early seventies could walk from Wayburn to it with no worries. I remember walking to school at GA in the 1st grade and yes by 7-8th we would ride to Eastland on our bikes..I also remember the lion...It was alway as fun going to stand in line for Christmas...The adventures we would have in that old neighborhood...I could have been one of those boys following Kathinozarks...since we spent our time at the mall also....Denby 77

Gibran

Post Number: 30
Posted on Friday, March 02, 2007 - 9:21 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Oh thanks waxx I forgot about towne club..trying to remember that name ...wasn't it next to Dino's pizza...do you recall the hobby shop on Whitter and then in the seventies the arcade next to it...man to many memories for this I could spend all day on this link.

Imhere
Username: Imhere

Post Number: 2
Posted on Friday, March 02, 2007 - 9:29 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

My Grandma used to live at Houton-Whitter and Chalmers area.

When I was younger I used to ride my bike to grandma's and walk over to the CIVIC to watch movies.

When I got a little older, I would got the CIVIC to watch R rated movies even though I was younger. Near the end of it's life the CIVIC was just happy to have customers.

Kathinozarks, The CIVIC did have the big staircases on each side. Not sure about the restroom colors.

I remember the corner of Kelly with A&P, ACE Hardware, Cunningham's.

I remember going to Sanders when I was young. I still have all of the Tiger glasses that Sanders would sell. Must have been late '70's as they had Mark "The Bird" Fidrych as one. Saunders was in the same strip mall as Cunningham and Kresge.

Kathinozarks

Post Number: 229
Posted on Friday, March 02, 2007 - 12:05 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Gibran, I'm class of '79. Not Denby, but if you were thin with longish hair (combed) and cute, we probably saw you. We had cute guy radar. You were WAAAAYYY older than us back then and may have not even given us a second glance (we still would've followed you :-).

Weren't Saturdays at Eastland fun? They had that store near the Coney Rest. that had t-shirt transfers so you could make your own shirt. That was the coolest, we loved going in there deciding which sparkly transfer we'd have them put on a scoop neck, cap sleeved girly tee!

One time my friend had "Blondes Have More Fun" and I had "Brunettes Have More Class" made on mine. We are still best friends and I wish I could say I still have the shirt.

Thanks Imhere for confirming what my memory wanted to believe. See, I just thought those stairs were the most glamorous and that I would want to live in a mansion with some just like it someday. (didn't happen - I love ranch style now) Hallways are cool.

Sometimes I wonder if a memory really happened or if I dreamed it. This is such a good place to go and find out. Yay DY!

Gibran

Post Number: 32
Posted on Friday, March 02, 2007 - 2:57 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hey I remember you guys....:}...those were nice shirts...You were in my sister's grade....You guys could have been Regina or Dominican Ladies...Maybe Harper Woods ....but I am sure we pretended not to notice....thanks for the smile.
By the way aren't the Ozarks almost like MI...especially by the Buffalo River and Pig Trail.

Kathinozarks

Post Number: 236
Posted on Saturday, March 03, 2007 - 3:49 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Frankie Laine appeared at the Grinnell's Music store next to the Civic. Seems to mom that it was 1947 or 48. She met him there and still has his autograph! "That's My Desire" still sends shivers down her spine!

Gibran

Post Number: 34
Posted on Saturday, March 03, 2007 - 3:50 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

What was the lounge's name on Whitter near Kelly...great food and ST. Pat's day fun...Went there with friends ...always skipped St. Pat's day afternoon classes from Denby and did our won pub crawl...We sure wouldn't want the kids to know about those escapades...

Gibran

Posted on Saturday, March 03, 2007 - 3:53 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thanks Kath, trying to remember the name of the music store...Grinnel's ,,,my sister won a stack of forty-fives there and met Marc the bird Fidrich(spelling error)...Frankie Lane better singer..

Kathinozarks

Post Number: 239
Posted on Saturday, March 03, 2007 - 4:20 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Mom says that she thinks if you said the name of the lounge she would remember it!

Gibran

Post Number: 36
Posted on Saturday, March 03, 2007 - 4:33 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Having a Brain Drain....was the name of one of theowners...it was near the grocery store and past the Bowling Alley,,,oh well. Thanks for trying...

Kathinozarks

Post Number: 241
Posted on Saturday, March 03, 2007 - 11:04 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Now, that's a possible great name for a bar - Brain Drain! ha ha....

Gibran

Post Number: 40
Posted on Sunday, March 04, 2007 - 12:19 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

or the meltdown...i know it sure was fun ....I am sure we visited your store from time to time as seniors traveling in the neighborhoods. Coming home from college we would go to mack and mingle....there were great corner bars where many good people would come together after semesters away at school and re-kinder old friendships.

Bulletmagnet
Username: Bulletmagnet

Post Number: 94
Posted on Sunday, March 04, 2007 - 1:24 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Back in the mid 70’s I worked as the night porter for Perinnes restaurant on Whittier, just down the street from there. I was making about 2.50 an hour and worked from 11:00pm to 7:00am, 6 nights a week, with Monday as my only off day. I would take by bike to the Standard Federal to cash my check, and then head over to Civic Music to spend it all. The owners name was George, and he had a German accent. He liked me and would let me put my bike in the door way while I looked at records. He was glad to sell me his “promos” and cut-outs, and he had imports as well. The first record I bought there was Lee Michaels, which I still have. I would leave with the records in a bag balanced on the handlebars of my 10 speed and ride home to my apartment at 16315 E. Warren next door to Rose and Dom's party store. We use to go to the Civic Theater on Friday nights and sneak in bottles of beer hidden in the bottom of our popcorn bags (we brought in our own) an watch cheap movies. I bought guitar strings at Grinnell's Music a few times but chose Fiddlers over them for price. I sure miss being 17 and free.

Gibran

Post Number: 41
Posted on Sunday, March 04, 2007 - 2:20 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

well I guess sneaking things into the Civic was a eastside rite of passage, My first album (for those who remember 33's and 45's) was a Guess Who ( my cousin would always say I just got a record "Guess Who" and pause), I bought woodstock the album there...and many more...Litend to CJOM...and would also cash my Milroy's check at the Standard Federal. Enjoyed air hockey at an arcade on Whitter until it was to lame. Spent a lot of time pre-college haven't house parties and sneaking in the corner bars all over theastside...specially near the airport and in the graitiot and six mile areas....I really have been having to much fun on this site...Thanks bulletmagnet for your pictures from home..do you have some from the whitter -wayburn -Denby areas...oh maybe you can help on this question ...was there a section of mansions off Gratiot towards downtown behind a Church...maybe brownstowns? I know this doesn't give you much to go on..But I remember a neighborhood towards downtown with great big Brownstones and Homes it seems off of Graitiot that were still in good shape...sorry for the minor details...

Paczki
Username: Paczki

Post Number: 16
Posted on Sunday, March 04, 2007 - 2:31 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I dated a guy who was very cheap and on thursdays we would go to the Civic Theater because the movies were a dollar. Afterwards we would go to Big Bill's. Thursday was ladies night and all ladies drinks were a dollar. He'd give me some cash and I'd go up to the bar for our drinks so we could both get a dollar drink.

Kathinozarks

Post Number: 246
Posted on Sunday, March 04, 2007 - 6:38 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Gibran, it is fun re-connecting with our pasts. Your post 32 made me chuckle.
The Ozarks are so very different from MI! We do live about 20 minutes from the Buffalo River and I'll tell you, it's hill upon hill. Lots of sloping yards and whatever.
Also, we don't have the crime problems that big cities have. Slow pace. Low cost of living.

And, I can get Vernor's at our little grocery store! Would kill for a Coney Rest., though.

Imhere

Post Number: 3
Posted on Monday, March 05, 2007 - 9:01 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Big Bill's. My Brother used to tend bar in there up until it burnt down. He worked the last 2 years of it's life. He also worked at Little Bill's on Kelly and 7 mile. That burnt down as well.

I used to go down there because I could weasle drinks out of him.

Mikem
Username: Mikem

Post Number: 3146
Posted on Monday, March 05, 2007 - 9:28 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Little Bill's is still there, just not open. It's where I lost my alcohol virginity.

Gibran

Post Number: 42
Posted on Monday, March 05, 2007 - 10:00 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

kathyinozarks, the closest i know is in Tulsa....Nicks never on Sunday and Coney Islanders....You live in a very pretty part of the country....My family in MI can't wrap their heads around the ozarks, I keep trying to get them to visit...The photos of old hudson were fantastic everyone should check out that thread. I have tried to describe Hudson's 12th floor but my words couldn't do it justice....

Imhere

Post Number: 5
Posted on Monday, March 05, 2007 - 10:37 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Mikem, The building for Little Bill's is still there, but it did close due to a fire.

Since my brother worked there I was able to get inside the building after the fire. They were taking what alcohol they could salvage from the building. Trust me it didn't taste that great after the fire.

14509glenfield
Username: 14509glenfield

Post Number: 384
Posted on Monday, March 05, 2007 - 11:38 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Quickly. C,hams, Hallmark, dress shop, Kresge's Saunders, shoe repair, Mariannes, Grinells, Civic. Civic Music GA "sports complex" inc. activities bldg, Church, Rectory (X Kelly) Milroys (blank), Denby barbers, Fred's Diner, Jason's bakery, couple of medical offices, Manufacturers Bank, (Down Whittier) more vague..Hardware store, Whittier Jewelers, Denby Auto, THE AREAS FIRST QUARTER CAR WASH, (x-STREET) DENBY BOWLING...brain fart! Kroger, Standard Federal and loan Association, Merchandise Mart (old food store) auto part, CAR WASH, BAR, VOLCANOES PIZZERIA, DAIRY QUEEN (U-TURN) GULF gas station, parking for Civic Center, Pape's house of gifts (run by the Murrays, turn right Kowalski's, the original A & P, Kinsel Drugs, ______stein Jewelers, brain fart, (TURN RIGHT) kinda blanko, Re-positioned Ace (late 50's), Dentist and physician (Dowd-pysichian) Alcomo's, Whittier Collision, Sox's bar (Queen and Houston-Whittier), (x-street) New A & P, CLARK GAS, (turn right), sewing/fabric, vaccuum, ((x-ALMA) whatever supermarket Big Bear or Chatham, (x-street) AND OF COURSE THE HOME OF THE WARRIORS-GUARDIAN ANGELS. More for Gilbran and K in the Ozarks later. I dated myself.

14509glenfield

Post Number: 391
Posted on Monday, March 05, 2007 - 3:05 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Rear door of the CIVIC -- you could sneak in. Save your quarter for more candy. Gibran.. 11123 Wayburn (2 off of Yorkshire)..Did you know any Moroneys?

Gibran

Post Number: 43
Posted on Monday, March 05, 2007 - 3:15 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

1409glenfield, seems the name is very familar...your memory is much better than mine...11494 wayburn...Ahhh Jason's bakery. My dad ran the sunoco in late seventies for a couple of years till he moved to 194 and 8 mile. Denby 77 ...thanks so much...I take you are still near..I went off to NMU in 1977 and have been an ex-det...since. I did spend some time at Wayne...My Mom. Dad went there. My sister went to Med school and had a practice near st. johns for a couple of years. My mom was a nurse at ST. JOhns and then the Budd Wheel Company...

Kathinozarks

Post Number: 252
Posted on Monday, March 05, 2007 - 11:20 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Wow, 14509 you have a laser rocket brain!

Gib, my brothers still haven't visited in 8 years! Mom's been here every year. Most of my friends in TX and MI have been so happily surprised when they came here to visit. It is beautiful. I wish so badly that Detroit and SE Michigan could be like this.

Gib, TUlsa is just too far away but thanks so much for the info. If I start shaking I'll order a kit or whatever from the COney place in Det.! I miss Middle Eastern food availability too. People here barely know what hummus is. I make it and take it to potlucks. I take alot home! Sheesh.

Gibran

Post Number: 45
Posted on Tuesday, March 06, 2007 - 11:39 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Kathinozarks...if you get to Fayetteville on mountain is the Petra Cafe (downtown off the square) tell Saleh I sent you ....humus, grapeleaves and the rest...a local handout with lots of interesting people...reminds me of ethnic cafes in old greektown...It is fun talking with you guys on these threads....I still swear I remember you guys at eastland....we were the guys that would fake losing a contact to get you to help us find it....:"

Kathinozarks

Post Number: 255
Posted on Tuesday, March 06, 2007 - 9:10 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Gibran: Yyeeeaaaahhhh, no. No contact lenses in HS. you are pretty funny, though!
Thanks for the heads up on ME food in F'ville. I am sooo going there, and I'll tell Saleh you sent me. Do you go by Gibran in real life?
This is fun. But I think we are hijacking. Are we?

Gibran

Post Number: 50
Posted on Tuesday, March 06, 2007 - 9:22 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Kathy, no generally speaking I go by John...Gibran is my post name....I really have enjoyed these posts and you of course...I didn't realize how many of us out there share common memories...values and ideals.If you think about it...it must have been more magical than I realized. So many of the posters have fond memories...and realistic also...I must have drove by your parents store a hundred times....roaming the streets of the eastside. I enjoyed talking to you...thanks

Kathinozarks

Post Number: 257
Posted on Tuesday, March 06, 2007 - 11:08 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Gib, I think we're lucky that we had such a great childhood/youth.
I was especially glad to find out through another poster that the red carpeted grand staircases DID exist in the Civic Theater.(they may not have been 'grand', but I always thought so).
Milroy's fish and chips was one of the few places we ever went to if mom wasn't cooking dinner. I feel like it was 'our family restaurant'. Stood in line quietly with my mom to pick up 99 cent dinners. Is that right? 99 cents? Late 1960's or so.
The few times I remember eating in the dining room were cool. We put sugar in our water and you had vinegar on the tables, right? Yum!
The building was that great light yellowish/gold color with glass blocks. Flat roofed, right?. It's not there anymore, is it.

Detroiterinspirit
Username: Detroiterinspirit

Post Number: 31
Posted on Wednesday, March 07, 2007 - 5:56 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I've posted on another link about growing up in the 8 Mile & Kelly area, but my best friend lived near Civic Theatre. We graduated Notre Dame in 82 and the area around the Civic became my early bar day hangouts; The original Wooly Bully's, Ritter's Bowling Alley (what a dump), Pointe Athletic Club, Greensboro (sp?), Fat Jack's (or something like that) near Dominican HS. Then as I got older (and legal) moved back toward my are of 8 Mile and Kelly and spent Saturdays and Sundays at Stan & Ollie's on Kelly. Got to meet a local DJ, Kim Carson, in the late 80's there. Very nice and funny stories about Dick Purtan. As I worked at Eastland (at a shoe store & The Tinderbox) thru college, spent time at the Tidewater at Eastland and across the street at the Eastside Charlie's, some time at Gilbert's Lounge on Harper (Pre-Emimen days). Sounds like I drank alot...I didn't because I do remember these places...but there seemed to be a "right of passage" to hanging at these places during the 70's and 80's. For music; Traxx, The Falcon, The Ritz, My Place, Stan & Ollie's, Sierra Station...one place I never went to was Harpo's -- the ads in "Metro Times" scared me (lol).

14509glenfield

Post Number: 402
Posted on Wednesday, March 07, 2007 - 8:54 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Paul Cito was the PROfessional at "the dump" Ritters Bowling in the early 60's. 60 cent an hour to set pins as an employee. Youth league Saturday mornings and Thursday nights $1.50 for 3 games.
(Message edited by 14509glenfield on March 07, 2007)

(Message edited by 14509glenfield on March 07, 2007)

Gibran

Post Number: 51
Posted on Wednesday, March 07, 2007 - 9:10 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Greensboro,,,,thanks I was trying to remember that one....we would gather there the night before thanksgiving during college and classes of 74,75,76,77 would have an imprompt reuinion...also was a staging area before we went off to university...clean fun...Kathy I used to cook at Milroys,,,,1975-77...they ran a very clean kitchen and I would evevn eat there :}
I still crave their fish and chips I guess u get more sentimental when you know things have changed...but one these threads I can almost smell the steamy plates....and the corner bars. I can hear the laughter of the neighborhood children and see the older guys sitting on their porches at night listening to the tigers. Riding our bikes in all neighborhoods from the city airport, to the foot of alterand to GPparks. I worked at the children's home of detroit in GP and and that was even more memories....Oh by the way Petra's is near the old Hoffbrau and Santa Fe ...down from the old city hall...they are open for lunch only til 2....js

Imhere

Post Number: 6
Posted on Wednesday, March 07, 2007 - 9:13 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

My Aunt lived right across the street from Ritter's Bowling alley. 1st house on the Block. Last summer when I was over that way, Her old house is still there.

I don't have any memories of being in Ritter's, but my family would tell me I was in it many times when I was little.

Detroiterinspirit - I'm new to the board so I will have to go back and find the 8 & Kelly thread, but I grew up in that area through the 70's & 80's. I worked in the food court at Eastland in the late 80's. During the early 90's I would hit happy hour at the Tidewater on my way home from working Downtown.

Detroiterinspirit
Username: Detroiterinspirit

Post Number: 32
Posted on Wednesday, March 07, 2007 - 1:05 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Glenfield - my comment of Ritters being a dump was based on my experience in the mid 80's. No disrespect meant, I understand that in its time Ritter's was probably a great place.

Imhere - we've probably bumped into each other...

Kathinozarks

Post Number: 263
Posted on Wednesday, March 07, 2007 - 1:25 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Detroiterinspirit, You made me remember that I waitressed at Eastside Charlie's a million years ago (for a very short time!).
And Wooly Bully's was fun for a year or so for me.
Gibran, thanks for heads up on location of Petra's and lunch only hours. I don't have a 9-5 job, so you better believe I'll be going.

Listening to Tiger's games on radio wasn't just for older guys. We grew up on Wayburn in GPP in a 4 family flat and would sit on the porch in the warm evenings listening with our cool cotton pj's on. Thanks for giving me the memory. I can hear it now. Man, this can get bittersweet. I think I'm getting depressed and feeling old.

Re: Milroy's Fish - who can find the recipe?

Gibran

Post Number: 52
Posted on Wednesday, March 07, 2007 - 1:46 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

You are a youngster...wayburn how funny is that....i grew on wayburn....Milroy's recipe I think died with George...he guarded it like a state secret...we had to close our eyes when he made it. Those wonderful Detroit summers....

Gibran

Post Number: 53
Posted on Wednesday, March 07, 2007 - 1:47 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

You are a youngster...wayburn how funny is that....i grew on wayburn....Milroy's recipe I think died with George...he guarded it like a state secret...we had to close our eyes when he made it. Those wonderful Detroit summers....

Kathinozarks

Post Number: 264
Posted on Wednesday, March 07, 2007 - 1:57 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

gib, 1134 between St. Paul and Kercheval.
Used to collect caterpillars from tree trunks (mostly a couple of big trees around the block on Maryland) and make a real nice grass-filled shoe box home for them with sticks and a bottle cap with water.

Man, that is too bad about George and his too-well-kept secret recipe. What was he thinking?

Gibran

Post Number: 54
Posted on Wednesday, March 07, 2007 - 3:03 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

George was an old boxer from Scotland and he was as tough as they came...I remember walking home from GA and him chasing us away from the back door of Milroy's, five years later I worked for the guy...Liked him a lot....my sister who is your age used to pick bees from our snap dragons and hold them until we came close then release them on us...must been something with the women of you age group..:}...We also had a frog ranch in back yard, except they kept escaping...grayton -britian...11494 wayburn...

Kathinozarks

Post Number: 266
Posted on Wednesday, March 07, 2007 - 9:34 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Gib, the only 'thing' with the women of our age group is that we had big brothers like you! ha ha ha. I could've used her help dealing with an older and younger brother.

We sure had fun with very little in the way of plastic toys! Play with bugs and frogs - Yeah!!

Here's something terrible. A couple of times we even caught bugs and put them in spider webs, stood back and watched the spider come out and get it. Now that's some big fun! Yuck.

Gibran

Post Number: 59
Posted on Wednesday, March 07, 2007 - 9:51 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

This is way to scarey....we must have lived a similar life...I read you post on the thread about JAmes CAmeron...I responed,,,,I guess growing up there links many things together...values, ideas and dreams...I think I could spend way to much time ...and many of us on here would have such similarities....wow...Toys creepy crawler maker....what fond memeories...the realistic stuff well thats just life you find that anywhere...here we can go back and remember what shaped us into who we are today....take care

Gman29
Username: Gman29

Post Number: 6
Posted on Thursday, March 08, 2007 - 11:07 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

CIVIC Theatre.........WOW!! Does that bring back memories. I saw a dew Dean Martin westerns there in the early 70's as well as Airplane with Dean Martin.
That are had it all....there was a small bakery across from the Civic, a Polish Deli on Houston Wittier, Papes Gifts, A & P, Cunninghams.

I believe the other theatre with the red carpeted staircases may have been The Ramonoa Theatre on 6 Mile & Gratiot.....again, as a kid I remember going there and seeing Jerry Lewis movies in the 60's......

How about going further north and the old Notre Dame High School with their Friday night dances with CKLW.....open aired Eastland with just Hudsons Department Store as an anchor, a Kroger Supermarket, Kresges, Winklemans etc...???

Gibran

Post Number: 60
Posted on Thursday, March 08, 2007 - 11:30 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

These are great memories that unfortunately the new generation of kids have no idea how simple it was....The harper theater later turned Harpos was where I saw Flipper, before the series....spent many sat. afternoons at civic and could remember when we finally got permission to go to movies at night. I remember Kresge's fountain...and buying matchbox cars at the ACE hardware...If I only knew how much those little things would mean today, but they come back on these posts...there is a collective cross generational experience here and it sure makes the complexities of today seem a little managable...thanks to all that keep these posts positive.

14509glenfield

Post Number: 429
Posted on Friday, March 09, 2007 - 10:44 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Gilbran
My mom was a nurse at ST. JOhns and then the Budd Wheel Company...

Per chance at St John's did she know Dr Antionnette Brem.

Gibran

Post Number: 63
Posted on Friday, March 09, 2007 - 1:15 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

really, wow what a small world...I wish i could ask her she passed away. If your mom worked at Bud in the seventies she most likely knew my mom...js

Gibran

Post Number: 81
Posted on Thursday, March 15, 2007 - 9:12 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hey kathyinozarks....make to fayetteville yet...?

Hambone
Username: Hambone

Post Number: 2
Posted on Tuesday, March 20, 2007 - 5:04 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The last house I lived in was on kelley road at the corner near grayton.I remember going to the civic theater, a movie was 12 cents in 1950 th, we left the Big D in 1955. my father worked at Packards for @7 years.

Kathleen
Username: Kathleen

Post Number: 2111
Posted on Tuesday, March 20, 2007 - 8:43 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

On our first date in 1976, my husband and I went to the Civic Theatre to see the movie "Futureworld."

I also remember playing hide and seek in the Civic Theatre with a grade school friend; we were about 9 years old, and our parents would drop us off so that we could see a movie on Saturday afternoons.

Kathleen
Username: Kathleen

Post Number: 2112
Posted on Tuesday, March 20, 2007 - 8:48 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

14509glenfield: You mentioned the Moroneys. If it the same family, with like 12 kids, the youngest one Carole went to Bishop Gallagher with me (class of '75). I ran into her just over a year ago out at an East Detroit High School Jazz Band Concert. An older brother, Jim (?), was two years ahead of us at BGHS.

14509glenfield

Post Number: 582
Posted on Wednesday, March 21, 2007 - 6:44 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Kathleen
Carole Lynn was the youngest of the 10 Moroneys. "J A" and I "went steady" for a while. Jim was the 2nd youngest.

Hambone
Can't remember 12 cent matinees at the Civic, but definitely 25 cent. My dad worked at Hudson Motors for 35+ years.

Gibran

Post Number: 95
Posted on Wednesday, March 21, 2007 - 9:06 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Just think 25cent movies and you got a cartoon...I remember on sat. it was so packed if you got there late you were in the back...but it was still exciting....By the late seventies it was in decline....we switched to the Bel Air Drive....whereif you counted the guys in the trunk we still came out ahead ....

14509glenfield

Post Number: 590
Posted on Wednesday, March 21, 2007 - 11:49 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Indoor theaters. Did you "fly" your empty pop corn boxes at the screen?

Gibran

Post Number: 113
Posted on Wednesday, March 28, 2007 - 11:21 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

There was a bakery and diner across from GA..down from the Civic Center...before Milroys....I know there was another bakery on Whitter...But does any one remember the BAR/REST on Whitter (close to grocery store and down from hobby sho-p and little arcade in the seveties....It seems like there was an Irish name...30 years later my mind is slipping...

Gtat44

Post Number: 90
Posted on Wednesday, March 28, 2007 - 1:16 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

You had to do that, just as I was going to bed (work at midnight) now I won't get any sleep racking my brains. I know what your talking about though.