Discuss Detroit » Hall of Fame Threads » Work @ the Book Cadillac » Archive through July 27, 2007 « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Detroit313
Username: Detroit313

Post Number: 398
Posted on Tuesday, July 17, 2007 - 10:07 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Exactly!^^^ The B.C. is not competition for anyone, well maybe the Statler, but its going to bring life into the region, not just Detroit!

Hey Riji, if I lived in Michigan I would've bought a place downtown AND if I was living in the lofts @Woodward for example and Quicken decided to build across the street, I would never write to the city about an issue about dust, unless it was so absurdly bad that if was clogging my a.c. unit or something of that matter! <313>

Rjlj
Username: Rjlj

Post Number: 371
Posted on Tuesday, July 17, 2007 - 10:28 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

If, if, if. If you knew the real situation......

Cmubryan
Username: Cmubryan

Post Number: 449
Posted on Tuesday, July 17, 2007 - 11:18 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

So how did the hearing turn out???

Dalangdon
Username: Dalangdon

Post Number: 141
Posted on Wednesday, July 18, 2007 - 8:44 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

lower-price hotels and higher-price hotels go together quite nicely. The lower-priced hotel gets a lot of ancillary business from the higher-priced hotel (mostly people who are associated with conventions and events at the higher-priced hotel, but can't afford the higher rate.)

As for the dust issue, this sort of thing happens with construction projects all the time. That's how democracies work. Relax.

Wschnitt
Username: Wschnitt

Post Number: 6
Posted on Monday, July 23, 2007 - 8:36 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Does anyone have any recent pictures of the work at the Book Cadillac?

Scs100
Username: Scs100

Post Number: 1252
Posted on Monday, July 23, 2007 - 8:40 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

No, but I can assure you that it looks better than I have ever seen it my entire life (although that might not be saying a lot). I wish I had had my camera on me when I was down there on Saturday.

Wschnitt
Username: Wschnitt

Post Number: 7
Posted on Monday, July 23, 2007 - 8:45 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Also, I am still looking for pictures, but what happened to the sections of stone that were cut for the elevator on the exterior? Were they able to be taken off in pieces so they could be put back on? Or were they destroyed in the process?

Beantown
Username: Beantown

Post Number: 51
Posted on Thursday, July 26, 2007 - 6:29 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

There is a decent article in the Detroit News this morning updating the latest progress at the Book-Cadillac:

http://www.detnews.com/apps/pb cs.dll/article?AID=/20070726/B IZ/707260324&theme=Biz-Downtow n-development&imw=Y

The best part is the photos:
http://info.detnews.com/pix/ph otogalleries/newsgallery/bookc adillachotel07262007/index.htm

Illmatic774
Username: Illmatic774

Post Number: 93
Posted on Thursday, July 26, 2007 - 6:45 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

COPPER!!!!!

Considering how long it took for this thing to get off the ground, i'm just amazed how fast this project is going.

(Message edited by illmatic774 on July 26, 2007)

Tetsua
Username: Tetsua

Post Number: 1278
Posted on Thursday, July 26, 2007 - 7:31 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

It's so weird seeing this place with windows now. It almost looks wrong considering I've always known this place to be vacant.

Digitalvision
Username: Digitalvision

Post Number: 254
Posted on Thursday, July 26, 2007 - 8:42 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I remember, as a child in a family with limited means, our "vacation" would be go to the Days Inn hotel across the street from the book for the night and my dad would always request a room facing the vacant Book Cadillac - and he and my mom would tell me stories about it, make up tall tales about the statuary - he'd always ask me after the story if it was truth or fiction.

Probably one of my happiest memories of my family that I have. I dreamed at night when I was a kid that that building had windows, and people, and I could go inside and play in the lobby - it sounds cheesy, but I got a little emotional when I saw those windows in for my own reasons.

Scs100

Post Number: 1269
Posted on Thursday, July 26, 2007 - 8:46 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

It's so weird seeing this place with windows now. It almost looks wrong considering I've always known this place to be vacant.

I have to agree there. I'm used to the boards on the bottom and no windows on the top. Now trying to imagine this and MCS with windows, that's kind of hard to do.

Mind_field
Username: Mind_field

Post Number: 751
Posted on Thursday, July 26, 2007 - 8:50 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Incredible. I never thought i would see the day. I can't wait to sleep in the Westin Book Cadillac Detroit!

Dannaroo
Username: Dannaroo

Post Number: 99
Posted on Thursday, July 26, 2007 - 9:41 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

How long until some enterprising young copper miner falls off the roof of the BC trying to get that stuff off?

56packman
Username: 56packman

Post Number: 1562
Posted on Thursday, July 26, 2007 - 10:44 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The news photo feature mentioned that it will take 20 years for the new copper to take on the green patina like the old work.
That green patina can be duplicated in one hour, with tidy bowl. Just spray it on and let it sit. One hour later it will be the same uneven green as the old work.
In the case of the BC, that would involve cases of Tidy bowl.

Kslice
Username: Kslice

Post Number: 116
Posted on Thursday, July 26, 2007 - 10:52 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Damn that place is gonna be nice!

Beantown

Post Number: 52
Posted on Thursday, July 26, 2007 - 12:49 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I would agree that things are progressing quite rapidly. I have heard a couple of people associated with the project (from Marous and Esquire) state that they are "ahead of schedule". Although, I believe that that translates in developer-speak to "on schedule" to the October 2008 opening, because it doesn't matter if portions of the project are done early, it has to be 100% complete prior to opening.

The future condo owners are all currently in the process of locking down their condo features and upgrades (finishes, colors, appliances, etc.), which most anyone who has bought a new condo before knows can be quite a process, especially when done for all the condos at once. This process is supposed to be wrapped up the first week in August, which means that the contractor is basically ready to begin ordering and installing the interior components.

Mdoyle
Username: Mdoyle

Post Number: 153
Posted on Thursday, July 26, 2007 - 7:47 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I just cant wait for windows and doors on the lower levels it will be amazing. I was biking around today and I just stopped and looked up for a good five minutes.

Eric
Username: Eric

Post Number: 908
Posted on Thursday, July 26, 2007 - 11:51 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

Workers also are starting the foundation for a new two-story restaurant and the pool/health club, both additions to the existing structure.

Is this true, I thought the addition was going to be five stories matching the lower public floors?

Tkelly1986
Username: Tkelly1986

Post Number: 384
Posted on Friday, July 27, 2007 - 5:45 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I was confused by this as well, do they mean that the restaurant will be 2 stories or the entire building?

Beantown

Post Number: 53
Posted on Friday, July 27, 2007 - 6:41 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The article was stating that the restaurant would be 2 stories. The building addition, which will utilize the entire footprint of the city block, will contain three usable floors (all above ground - no basement). About half of the third floor of the building addition will be dedicated to the condo lobby, mail room, elevator lobby, storage, etc.

Mallory
Username: Mallory

Post Number: 150
Posted on Friday, July 27, 2007 - 7:53 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

After viewing the pics from Detnews, I have a question: how many people ever heard the word "ziggurat" before? Though I'm not the shiniest penny in the bank, I've never heard it before.

Johnlodge
Username: Johnlodge

Post Number: 1361
Posted on Friday, July 27, 2007 - 8:06 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Mallory, weren't you paying attention in history class? Ziggurats are what the Babylonians and Sumerians built as their "pyramids". Sort of like a "step-pyramid".

Mind_field
Username: Mind_field

Post Number: 752
Posted on Friday, July 27, 2007 - 8:12 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I've never heard of that word before either, Mallory. Must not be a very common architectural feature on buildings built these days.

Scs100

Post Number: 1273
Posted on Friday, July 27, 2007 - 8:17 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I had. But that's because I was taught about them this year.

Burnsie
Username: Burnsie

Post Number: 1098
Posted on Friday, July 27, 2007 - 2:15 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Beantown-- You mentioned that the addition will take up the rest of the block. I understand that it will completely cover up the blank spot on the BC where the Edison building used to abut. But will the addition also cover up other parts of the back of the BC, like the ground-floor coffee shop windows that face the north?

Tkelly1986
Username: Tkelly1986

Post Number: 385
Posted on Friday, July 27, 2007 - 2:45 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

ok, so three usable floors above the restaurant? (5 total) or is this 3 total?

Burnsie
Username: Burnsie

Post Number: 1099
Posted on Friday, July 27, 2007 - 3:08 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The project rendering (visible at http://www.westinbookcadillacr esidences.com/) shows the addition having 5 floors-- extending the look of the original hotel's first 5 floors.

Beantown

Post Number: 54
Posted on Friday, July 27, 2007 - 4:34 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Burnsie - I had a feeling that you would bring up the rendering, because I had noticed the same thing. But the floor-by-floor project blueprints show only three usable floors, with the fourth floor being the roof of the building addition, and the fifth floor only containing the original building footprint. I'm guessing that either the drawing/rendering is incorrect, or that there will be a facade around the street perimeter to equal the height of the lower public floors, as Eric suggested. If I find an answer to the discrepancy between the blueprints and renderings, I'll post to let you know, but I'll always trust engineering drawings over artist drawings.

The building addition will cover the entire city block, not just the NW corner where the Edison's building once stood. IMO, having a 3-5 story "wall" around the whole perimeter will really improve the look of the building from Capitol Park (corner of State and Shelby).

(Message edited by beantown on July 27, 2007)

Gistok
Username: Gistok

Post Number: 4961
Posted on Friday, July 27, 2007 - 6:03 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Are some floors simply mezzanine type floors, meaning that they don't go thru the entire project.

For example, Italian Garden and the larger ballrooms would likely be 2 stories tall. The historic Grand Ballrom has 2nd story balconies looking down onto the ballroom floor.

Perhaps floor numbering gets confusing because of this anomaly.