Discuss Detroit » Hall of Fame Threads » Detnews: Det close to snagging Quicken » Quicken Consolidated Archive » Archive through August 13, 2007 « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Livernoisyard
Username: Livernoisyard

Post Number: 3666
Posted on Thursday, August 09, 2007 - 1:36 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

First of all, QL is a direct lender, not a mortgage broker.

Inform us (truthfully and to the best of your knowledge). What percentage of their direct loans are kept by QL and not sold on the secondary market?

Kid_dynamite
Username: Kid_dynamite

Post Number: 176
Posted on Thursday, August 09, 2007 - 1:47 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

A very small amount. QL funds all of its loans that it originates, initially. The majority are later sold to a different servicer. That is in contrast to a broker, who finds borrowers and connects them to a lender to fund the loan. A broker never actually has any ownership to the loan. QL usually holds on to the loan for 1-6 months (occasionally a lot longer).

Dsmith
Username: Dsmith

Post Number: 122
Posted on Thursday, August 09, 2007 - 1:55 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

QL can also be forced to buy back loan portfolios that have high initial defaults. One or two big portfolio defaults have been enough to crush many mortgage originators, I don't see how QL is any different.

As far as JZ_Detroit's 'Exclusive Products' statement, he's simply wrong. The game has changed, check this out:
http://bigpicture.typepad.com/
The following comes from a major U.S. mortgage writer. It is typical of what has been going on in the mortgage business over the past few days:

As you are probably aware, the mortgage industry is going through a major disruption. In response to these market conditions and to enable ******* to continue to serve our customers; we have made changes to our loan eligibility, appraisal rates and repricing of loans in the pipeline.

Rate exceptions by AE's will no longer be allowed
Only full doc loans allowed
No Non OO (Owner Occupied) and second homes allowed
Increased disposable income requirements on D/R's > 50% from $2000 to $3000
No refinances of Vacant Properties
No refinances of properties listed for sale in the last 3 months
Limited ltv's on homes listed for sale > than 3 mos but less than 6mos for cash out refi's
Loans in the pipeline will be repriced according to the current rate sheet unless they are in '"docs out" status or are Purchase transaction types in "Conditional Approval"
All loans in the pipeline that are NOT O/O Full Doc must fund by August 17
Appraisals must be less than 90 days old
Appraisals must contain 1 comp sale< 3mos old and 1 current listing. All other comps provided must be < 6mos old
Thank you for your understanding; we realize the impact this will have on you and your customers however in order to continue to stay in business we felt it necessary to make these unfortunate changes.

Livernoisyard

Post Number: 3667
Posted on Thursday, August 09, 2007 - 2:07 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I was a RE broker in WI during the 1970/80s. Brokers can buy/sell on their own accounts or bring buyers/sellers together (the typical scenario). QL eventually sells its instruments to others. So, they're essentially brokers in that they originate loans (and may service them afterwards--albeit, only temporarily in their case).

BTW, I wasn't implying that any of that was being anyhow dishonest or unethical. That's just how businesses are run.

Still, some companies in the mortgage business--GM, Ford, etc--own their own corporate real estate, and QL, being more directly involved, percentage-wise, in the mortgage business, doesn't. Just an observation...

Izzadore
Username: Izzadore

Post Number: 61
Posted on Thursday, August 09, 2007 - 2:13 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

So is quicken a Originator that services, or a Servicer? Or Both?

Let's keep in mind that there is a difference between servicing and actually funding a mortgage.

1) There are 'servicers' that collect money and pass it on to the lender (less their servicing fee.)

2) There are the Lenders that hold the actual note that's being serviced.

Detroitrulez
Username: Detroitrulez

Post Number: 334
Posted on Thursday, August 09, 2007 - 4:25 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

Kid_dynamite
Username: Kid_dynamite

Post Number: 176
Posted on Thursday, August 09, 2007 - 1:47 pm:

------------------------------ ------------------------------ --------------------
A very small amount. QL funds all of its loans that it originates, initially. The majority are later sold to a different servicer. That is in contrast to a broker, who finds borrowers and connects them to a lender to fund the loan. A broker never actually has any ownership to the loan. QL usually holds on to the loan for 1-6 months (occasionally a lot longer).

The big problem is that the secondary market to sell these has dried up. People also need to keep in mind that this is not a sub-prime problem. Alt-A lenders are also having serious problems, as evidenced by recent filings. the problem is in the ARM's and exotic mortgages. I met with a VP and Associate Director of Research at the FedReserve today. It is clear that the housing market nationwide is in a serious, serious crisis. It is also clear that all signs and historical indicators point to a recession.

Don't look for an announcement any time soon.

Livernoisyard

Post Number: 3669
Posted on Thursday, August 09, 2007 - 5:48 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Dsmith: Is Kudlow & Company on your reference in this thread the same Kudlow who was a regular guest on the John Batchelor radio show nightly on WABC until Batchelor got the axe last year? Batchelor was my usual radio nightly listening.

I sense that he's the same Kudlow. He appeared to be quite knowledgeable in many areas of the economy.

Scottr
Username: Scottr

Post Number: 689
Posted on Friday, August 10, 2007 - 6:54 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

Don't look for an announcement any time soon.

I'd be a lot more willing to accept that conclusion if Quicken Loans was a public company. But they aren't, and that makes it a whole different ballgame. There's nothing stopping Gilbert from reinvesting money he's made from the Cavaliers or any of his other businesses back into Quicken Loans. There's no shareholders demanding their cut, no stock price to be a slave to. And yeah, he's a savvy businessman, and that's why he will still strongly consider a move, even with the market being what it is, because which would be cheaper, maintaining the lease in Livonia, or building his own in Detroit, with the incentives that are sure to come?

Someone said something (it seems to be gone now) about there being no employee events planned for the next couple months, and that employees are told first, using the example of flying the company out to cleveland to announce the arena changing names... Now, I wouldn't know personally, but it would seem to me that anyone who would do that sort of thing, would not be above chartering a bunch of buses one afternoon and shipping the company down to the Fox to make an announcement. Knowing the amount of speculation going on, if i were him, i wouldn't let any plans be known ahead of time either, not if i wanted it to be a surprise. I wouldn't use that to rule anything out quite yet...

3rdworldcity
Username: 3rdworldcity

Post Number: 852
Posted on Friday, August 10, 2007 - 3:14 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Scottr makes a very valid and important point. The fate of Quicken will probably depend on whether Gilbert has a long range view and is willing or able to inject more money into the company.

I've said for years that based on my experience and on conversations with friends in the mortgage banking business, Quicken is a very high cost relatively low profit business. But as Scottr points out, because it's a private company it's impossible for an outsider to get a real handle on its finances.

What should be indisputable now though is that Quicken is being battered by the whole mortgage mess, which is adversely affecting all lenders. Quicken sells all or most of its mortgages to Countrywide, which packages them and sells them to Wall Street where they are bundled and sold as mortgage-backed securities. Countrywide announced today that it is almost doubling its reserves for loan losses from what they were at year end. It's safe to say Quicken no longer has a market for any loans it may want to make. It could go to Fanny Mae I suppose but it would have to change the nature of its business by retaining servicing, which would be like setting up a different business than solely making and selling loans, with less upfront revenue and profit. And the question is, is there enough conventional mortgage business around to sustain the company. Not without seriously downsizing, I'd say.

As Countrywide goes, it's fair to assume Quicken is going or has gone.

The issue now is whether Gilbert has the money or the willingness to shore up Quicken. He may have the money and he may be willing to do that, and is probably far more motivated to do so that the people who are running public companies and own a relatively small amount of the stock. Another issue is whether Gilbert will receive any backing from banks etc with whom he will surely have to deal, and will be very tough.

I doubt very much if Quicken will move to Detroit now or for a long time. On the other hand, depending on how much money he has, Gilbert
may have a saviour complex - to save the City - which supercedes good business judgment and common sense.

One can hope.

Izzadore

Post Number: 62
Posted on Friday, August 10, 2007 - 4:02 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

3rd, Sadly you are correct.

I have three friends who are trying to get financing for their first house . They have jumped through hoops and done everything they could do (like have multiple phone verifications with underwriter's) but just this week they were all told that their loan package would have to go under review before it could fund. Out here, Chicago title is laying off or furloughing personnel (including legal counsel) (we're not just talking clerks here.) It doesn't look good at all for ANY lender as most lenders have exposure to mortgages...

Just think. when this thread started (850 posts ago) there was no question about Quicken's vitality as a company. Now it really is a possibility (how much of which, nobody knows, but still you can't ignore the 'white elephant') that Quicken won't be around in as little as three months from now.

This reminds me of when I was at Andersen Worldwide, the only difference is this is happening to an entire industry...

3rdworldcity

Post Number: 854
Posted on Friday, August 10, 2007 - 4:06 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Izzadore: I hope Tom S at Greco (Chi Title) is not one of them.

Quinn
Username: Quinn

Post Number: 1432
Posted on Friday, August 10, 2007 - 4:19 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I refer to my earlier post.

GEESH. Slit your wrists why don't you?

Izzadore

Post Number: 63
Posted on Friday, August 10, 2007 - 4:19 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

That name is not familiar.

My own legal counsel (after three closings) started working for Chi Title after her personal business dried up... She told me that she was getting back into the public sector because the 'writing was on the wall.'

Charlottepaul
Username: Charlottepaul

Post Number: 1387
Posted on Friday, August 10, 2007 - 4:25 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

FYI, a great web site for the inside information on sub prime mortgage lenders: http://ml-implode.com/ It has a listing of all the companies that have failed in about the last year as well as listing ones that are likely to fail. Of course QL isn't on the list since they are doing well.

3rdworldcity

Post Number: 857
Posted on Friday, August 10, 2007 - 6:22 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Charlottepaul: Of course.

Quozl
Username: Quozl

Post Number: 1160
Posted on Sunday, August 12, 2007 - 10:44 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

No word yet on the downtown Detroit relocation?

Scs100
Username: Scs100

Post Number: 1383
Posted on Sunday, August 12, 2007 - 10:48 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Nope.

Jasoncw
Username: Jasoncw

Post Number: 421
Posted on Sunday, August 12, 2007 - 10:50 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

If there was it would be posted here.

Quinn

Post Number: 1434
Posted on Monday, August 13, 2007 - 8:57 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

And 3rdwrld/Detroitrulez (etal.) coming down with a negative story about Quicken's demise in 3, 2, 1...

Doom and gloom doom and gloom.

Ffdfd
Username: Ffdfd

Post Number: 138
Posted on Monday, August 13, 2007 - 9:07 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

A little birdie told me the Silverdome property recently entered the discussion in a serious way. It would be nice to see some movement on redeveloping two former homes for the Lions (Ernie Harwell with Tiger Stadium and Dan Gilbert with the Silverdome).

Bussey
Username: Bussey

Post Number: 558
Posted on Monday, August 13, 2007 - 9:10 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Oh no, here we go.....!

Bumble
Username: Bumble

Post Number: 304
Posted on Monday, August 13, 2007 - 12:50 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Did I miss an announcement over the weekend? Update anyone?

Johnlodge
Username: Johnlodge

Post Number: 1700
Posted on Monday, August 13, 2007 - 12:52 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Ffdfd, you are completely making that up. That's my guess. ;)

Mdoyle
Username: Mdoyle

Post Number: 171
Posted on Monday, August 13, 2007 - 1:00 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Ffdfd, yep and I heard belle isle was also under consideration.

Thejesus
Username: Thejesus

Post Number: 1829
Posted on Monday, August 13, 2007 - 1:01 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Bumble:

No announcement, but I think consensus is that no one is really expecting one like we were a month ago given everything that's going on in the mortgage industry right now. That's not to say it won't happen, but it's looking at least like it might not happen in the immediate future.

Ffdfd
Username: Ffdfd

Post Number: 139
Posted on Monday, August 13, 2007 - 1:02 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Johnlodge, you are correct, sir!

Johnlodge
Username: Johnlodge

Post Number: 1701
Posted on Monday, August 13, 2007 - 1:04 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Awwwww, Phil. :,(

Jt1
Username: Jt1

Post Number: 9798
Posted on Monday, August 13, 2007 - 1:19 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

And 3rdwrld/Detroitrulez (etal.) coming down with a negative story about Quicken's demise in 3, 2, 1...

I appreciate 3rd's insights. He obviously understand the business and the industry. While sometimes his posts aren't the rosiest I respect his opinions and knowledge. If his posts are down I wouldn't blacme the messenger.

I appreciate his posts, even those that explain sad realities.

Quinn

Post Number: 1435
Posted on Monday, August 13, 2007 - 2:07 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

JT1, and 3rdworld, I find that although his posts may be based initially in fact, pick out the negative.

Maybe it's his screenname that bugs me...says it all about how he feels about Detroit.

Jasoncw
Username: Jasoncw

Post Number: 423
Posted on Monday, August 13, 2007 - 2:14 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I haven't found 3rdworldcity's posts to be especially negative. I don't think there is a positive way to spin what he talks about. He usually talks about downtown's office market, which really is doing bad.

And I don't really like his username either, but calling Detroit a 3rd world city is not a stretch at all.