Discuss Detroit » Hall of Fame Threads » ::: Detroit Schools Mega Thread ::: » St. Scholastica « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Urbanoutdoors
Username: Urbanoutdoors

Post Number: 520
Posted on Friday, August 17, 2007 - 10:02 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Anyone go to St. Scholastica at any point during the 1970s, 80s, or early 90s?

Is the School still in operation?

Quozl
Username: Quozl

Post Number: 1238
Posted on Friday, August 17, 2007 - 10:06 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I went to Benedictine 1970-1972. St. Scholastica looks like it is still open:

http://www.aodonline.org/nr/ao d/customapplications/school/sc hool.asp?InstitutionID=709&FRA MELESS=true&NRNODEGUID=%7b9D1F 18B2-8586-4D44-A29C-98BD7A8C16 F9%7d

Urbanoutdoors

Post Number: 521
Posted on Friday, August 17, 2007 - 10:11 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Some one told me it was to be converted to a charter school but I figure this is just hearsay.

Quozl

Post Number: 1239
Posted on Friday, August 17, 2007 - 10:14 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I drove by Benedictine last week and noticed it has reopened as an Academy of some type. Some guy was out there sprucing the place up. When I drove by a few years back it was closed up.

Urbanoutdoors

Post Number: 523
Posted on Friday, August 17, 2007 - 10:18 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yeah Benedictine closed in 1999 or 2000 I believe. It is sad because there are virtually no private high schools left in the D.

Detroitej72
Username: Detroitej72

Post Number: 618
Posted on Friday, August 17, 2007 - 11:18 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

At least U of D High School is still alive and well.

Urbanoutdoors

Post Number: 525
Posted on Friday, August 17, 2007 - 11:43 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

yeah it is basically the one and only.

Tammypio
Username: Tammypio

Post Number: 144
Posted on Saturday, August 18, 2007 - 12:56 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Scholastica is still open. There are now only 10 elementary schools left in the city and two high schools...U of D and Loyola. Both of these high schools are run by the Jesuit order of priests.
If charter schools keep opening around the city, especially Cardinal Maida's Cornerstone schools, that number of 10 is going to continue to decrease in the next few years.
The 10 of us who are left are working hard to remain open...but sometimes...it seems like a losing battle.

Urbanoutdoors

Post Number: 535
Posted on Sunday, August 19, 2007 - 2:12 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

It is sad to see this has happen as I went to both Gesu and Scholastica during my elementary days and although both are still open there are so few left in the city and the numbers keep decreasing.

Tammypio
Username: Tammypio

Post Number: 145
Posted on Sunday, August 19, 2007 - 3:54 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

You went to Gesu? What year did you graduate? I teach there and have for the past 15 years. We are working on getting names and addresses for the alumni group. Please feel free to call the school office if you are interested in being added.
Yes, Gesu is still open! We are down to one classroom per grade level, but we have a lot to offer. It's a great place to learn..and a great place to work. Feel free to stop by and visit!

Urbanoutdoors

Post Number: 536
Posted on Sunday, August 19, 2007 - 5:02 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I grew up in the University District and went there from Kindergarden in 86 thru 90 in 3rd then went to Scholastica from 90-93 where my mom taught from the 1970s till 1991. I ended up graduating from Friends in 1995 so I jumped around quite a bit.

(Message edited by Urbanoutdoors on August 19, 2007)

Goldensunshine
Username: Goldensunshine

Post Number: 1
Posted on Monday, August 20, 2007 - 8:54 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

UrbanOutoors!
I know you, and I was in many of your classes. . .you may not remember me, but somehow I remember everyone!
We were in 4th and 5th grade together at St. Scholastica - my name is Kristin (Reese) Moore

I went to St. Scholastica K-8. (1986 - 1995)
My brother attended Beneictine High School 9-12 from 1987-91. I went to Farmington Hills Mercy for high school. I am not Catholic, but I basically grew up in the Archdiocies (sp?)!
I now live in Seattle, WA - but I just got back from visiting Detroit this past weekend for my best friends wedding

Iheartthed
Username: Iheartthed

Post Number: 1404
Posted on Monday, August 20, 2007 - 10:54 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The Benedictine building is a charter school now, St. Scholastica is still private, I believe.

Goldensunshine

Post Number: 5
Posted on Monday, August 20, 2007 - 12:28 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Benedictine is now "Old Redford Academy" ... which pisses me off because the location is not even "Old Redford"!!
St. Scholastica is still a private school even though it gets support from the Skillman Foundation. The school is nowhere in size like it used to be though. There used to be like 2-3 classes per grade (k-8) - now there is only one class per grade, not sure how many students are in each.
I watched the school pretty much shrink for the 9 years I was there, and it continued to shrink once I left.

Quozl

Post Number: 1252
Posted on Monday, August 20, 2007 - 12:44 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

At least Old Redford Academy has a decent dress code for the high school:

quote:

Old Redford Academy Preparatory High School is designed to prepare young adults for a successful collegiate experience in a professional atmosphere. The dress code will be strictly enforced. Uniforms are available at numerous metro Detroit uniform stores. In all matters regarding conduct, dress and overall appearance, the school reserves the right to counsel, reprimand and even dismiss a student if the student does not cooperate or comply with the school standards. All clothing must be neat, ironed, and free from holes, missing buttons and clean. Hats, military wear, and clothing with slogan or inappropriate printing are not allowed. This restriction includes undershirts, and T-shirts. Expensive outwear is discouraged. The school is the final arbitrator of appropriate dress.

Boys

* Grey uniform pants
* Black Blazer (must be worn DAILY)
* White or Light Blue, broadcloth or oxford cloth shirts
* Black Belts
* Solid Black ties must be worn everyday (EXCEPT ON CASUAL DAYS WHEN POLO SHIRTS ARE WORN) Ties must be knotted at the collar, with the collar buttoned.
* Black Socks
* SOLID Black Shoes (Rubber soles are not acceptable, and absolutely no gym shoes)
* No Earrings.
* No Jewelry (watches may be worn)
* Hair must be neatly groomed in a close-cropped hair cut. Hair should be evenly shaped. (Braids twists, dreadlocks, etc. are unacceptable)
* Boots cannot be worn during class.
* No facial hair.
* Students are required to carry clear backpacks.

Girls

* Plaid-kilt uniform skirt only. ( must be to the knee)
* Black Blazer must be worn DAILY with skirts and white blouses.
* White blouses (Button down blouses must be appropriately sized and long enough to tuck into skirts)
* Black Opaque tights or black opaque knee socks are accepted. No nylon stockings, knee highs, or white socks accepted.
* Black shoes (Shoes should have comfortable soles. Dress pumps may be worn with heels no higher than two inches, no gym shoes, NO OPEN-TOED SHOES, no lace/tie ups)
* Boots cannot be worn during class time
* Jewelry should be worn in a manner appropriate for business. Only one pair can be worn. Post earrings are preferred however hoop earrings may not exceed 2 inches in diameter. (i.e. multiple necklaces and earrings should not be worn.)
* Hair must be neatly combed and free from distractible hair accessories that make noise and/or create a visual distraction (e.g. high French rolls)
* Students are required to carry clear backpacks.

High School Additional Dress Code Rules and Regulations

* Shirts and blouses must be tucked in neatly at all times. No undergarment with print or pictures may be visible under shirts or blouses.
* Boys and Girls must wear pants on the waistline with a belt. (Absolutely no “sagging”) Pants should be purchased with appropriate fit. Low riders, stretch pants, carpenter pants, and drawstring pants are unacceptable.
* Gym uniforms are mandatory and students are required to wear a uniform as follows: gym shoes, white socks, plain white T-shirt and blue gym shorts.
* Gym shoes are only allowed in the gymnasium or for the athletic activities
* Student must be in dress code to enter class. Detentions may be given to students out of dress code.
* Clothing items purchased or earned through school activities and sports may be worn on assigned casual days.
* Students are expected to dress and act as professionals. Blazers are to be worn daily with white or blue shirts and/or blouses. Girls must wear skirts daily.
* “Do-rags” may not be worn on campus. Hats must be removed upon entering the school. Do-rags: may be confiscated if worn in the building.

Identification cards are to be worn at all times and are a part of the dress code policy.

http://www.oldredford.com/inde x.htm

Quozl

Post Number: 1253
Posted on Monday, August 20, 2007 - 1:34 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

What former school does Old Redford Academy (6-8 grade) occupy at 7000 W Outer Dr and Greenfield?

Goldensunshine

Post Number: 8
Posted on Monday, August 20, 2007 - 3:21 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

They aren't PLAYIN are they??
Sounds like they run a tight ship over there!
I attended schools run by NUNS, where the dress code was more lenient than this! LOL - these kids are going to go hog wild on clothes as soon as they get the chance to have casual dress in college or elsewhere! I know I DID after wearing plaid skirts, knee socks and oxford shirts for 12 years!

WOW - clear backpacks huh???

UrbanOutdoors – St. Scholastica does have a web site by the way.
http://www.stscholasticachurch .org/default.cfm/PID=1.11

Quozl - the Old Redford Academy at Outer Drive and Greenfield was formerly the Greenfield Peace Lutheran School

Urbanoutdoors

Post Number: 545
Posted on Monday, August 20, 2007 - 6:23 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Kristen of course I remember you. I am Joe Rashid, isn't it crazy to think Ms. Nelson is still there she came in about the time my mom did. Yeah we all had alot of fun times at Scholastica. I went out to Shrine for high school I didn't get in to Cass or U of D.

Goldensunshine

Post Number: 9
Posted on Tuesday, August 21, 2007 - 10:07 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

WOW Joe! It is good to get in touch with you again! Yes, I heard Miss Nelson was still there, and still leading songs in mass like old times!
As far as high school, I really had my heart set on going to Renaissance, but I didn't get accepted. Cass accepted me, but I didn't end up attending

Goldensunshine

Post Number: 30
Posted on Tuesday, August 28, 2007 - 12:36 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Anyone who is familiar with St. Scholastica: did you know that Father Livius (the founder of the school) passed this year?

Evelethcdenver
Username: Evelethcdenver

Post Number: 108
Posted on Tuesday, August 28, 2007 - 7:59 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I can't believe that Miss Nelson is still there. Still teaching the sixth grade. She was my teacher in 1985. Wow!!

Urbanoutdoors

Post Number: 560
Posted on Tuesday, August 28, 2007 - 8:01 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Evelethcdenver,

Then you probably had my mother as well Mrs. Rashid? She passed in 1991.

Goldensunshine

Post Number: 31
Posted on Wednesday, August 29, 2007 - 11:39 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Joe . . .I meant to tell you that I saw your sister a few years back when I went ice skating at Campus Martius. I believe that was New Years Day 2005

I don't think she would remember me, cause I only knew her by face and name. But I never forget those names and faces :-)

Urbanoutdoors

Post Number: 569
Posted on Wednesday, August 29, 2007 - 9:37 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yeah that was Anne she tries to do that every year on new years its a tradition, she used to do it at Hart Plaza and now at Campus Martius. I was working, too bad it would have been good to see you.

Wanderinglady
Username: Wanderinglady

Post Number: 3
Posted on Wednesday, October 31, 2007 - 12:23 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I graduated from Benedictine in 1982. Quozl, you're not kidding about Old Redford Academy's dress code! It is much more restrictive than Benny's was during the time I went there, which was from 1978 to 1982. There was a brouhaha at Old Redford about not allowing a young man to wear his hair long. I remember guys with long straight hair or big Afros during my Freshman year (which seems to have coincided with the end of the long hair/big Afro era).

It's too bad Benedictine closed, along with DePorres and other Catholic schools. I live in the Los Angeles area now, and there have been a number of Catholic school closings here in the past couple of years. And Los Angeles has the largest Catholic population of any U.S. city...

The_ed
Username: The_ed

Post Number: 522
Posted on Wednesday, October 31, 2007 - 12:58 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Urbanoutdoors:
"Kristen of course I remember you. I am Joe Rashid, isn't it crazy to think Ms. Nelson is still there she came in about the time my mom did. Yeah we all had alot of fun times at Scholastica. I went out to Shrine for high school I didn't get in to Cass or U of D."

Joe, are you related to Marylin Rashid? I went to St. Agnes back in the late 60's and there were two Rashid girls there as well. I think they had a brother who became a priest.