Discuss Detroit » Hall of Fame Threads » Favorite summer Memories of Detroit » Archive through June 08, 2007 « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Gibran
Username: Gibran

Post Number: 522
Posted on Sunday, June 03, 2007 - 12:14 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I got to get away from my ongoing political debates: So here it goes....Describe a Favorite summer memory of Detroit.

Mackinaw
Username: Mackinaw

Post Number: 2867
Posted on Sunday, June 03, 2007 - 12:21 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The 2006 (and hopefully 2007) Tigers.

And anytime I can con my way onto someone's boat taking to the River.

Vetalalumni
Username: Vetalalumni

Post Number: 277
Posted on Sunday, June 03, 2007 - 1:09 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

With friends, in the 70's, on Belle Isle on a warm summer evening.

Gibran

Post Number: 529
Posted on Sunday, June 03, 2007 - 1:15 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

A rainy summer day after a rain riding my bike through the street, the smell of fresh air and reading my book on Ty Cobb... the nights playing until way late (10) hide and seek, no ghost in the graveyard and kick the can...walking the streets with CKLW on the radio, seeing the old guys on the porches smoking listening to the ballgame....sleeping with my bed next to the window falling to sleep listening to music as the freighters in the distance made their presence known...just walking the streets at night, with not a care in the world...riding my bike from wayburn to City Airport to watch the planes.Fishing at the foot of alter and watching freighters pass wonder where they were going ...and playing baseball till our hands hurt.

Lilpup
Username: Lilpup

Post Number: 2262
Posted on Sunday, June 03, 2007 - 1:44 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

sitting on the glider with my grandmother after dark on her front porch, we'd count cars as a game - I counted those coming from one direction and she'd count the ones from the other direction

she also kept us well supplied with Vernor's, French vanilla or Neapolitan ice cream, or sometimes sherbert, and Twizzlers - the wild raspberries in her backyard were awesome, but we had to get them picked before the birds got to them

I miss her when I think of her - things were so different then.

(Message edited by lilpup on June 03, 2007)

Eastside61
Username: Eastside61

Post Number: 31
Posted on Sunday, June 03, 2007 - 2:01 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Playing softball in the evenings at Ballduck on the Marquette side of the park - playing tennis at Ballduck and going to the DQ for a blizzard. We would even play tennis at GPPark at the foot of Alter under the lights - we knew how to get in even though we were Detroiters. Drag racing on Lakeshore Dr also comes to mind....and just hanging out on the EASTSIDE....things certainly were different then....

Perfectgentleman
Username: Perfectgentleman

Post Number: 1009
Posted on Sunday, June 03, 2007 - 2:01 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Being down at the stadium on September 17th, 1968 watching the Tigers win the pennant.

(Message edited by perfectgentleman on June 03, 2007)

Citychick
Username: Citychick

Post Number: 16
Posted on Sunday, June 03, 2007 - 2:10 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Playing outside at night while the neighbors sat on their porches keeping an eye on us and chatting with one another...

the neighbor loading up his old station wagon with a bunch of us kids for a trip to Alinosis for ice cream...

waking up to the sound of the trash collectors singing Motown songs in the alley while they dumped the trash cans...

saving up 20 cents all day to buy a twin pop from the ice cream man...

Mom dragging a mattress into the living room so us kids could camp out and hopefully catch a cool breeze from the open windows...

Mikem
Username: Mikem

Post Number: 3342
Posted on Sunday, June 03, 2007 - 2:57 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Burning down my neighbor's garage with the gasoline I siphoned from my lawn mower. And drinking a quart of Mickey's while I watched it burn. Hard to beat the scent of painted wood burning on a muggy summer's eve.

Larryinflorida
Username: Larryinflorida

Post Number: 548
Posted on Sunday, June 03, 2007 - 3:05 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"Smells like...Mac O Lac"

Tammypio
Username: Tammypio

Post Number: 124
Posted on Sunday, June 03, 2007 - 9:22 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Summer memories in Hamtramck...a lot of the same things as above:
Playing outside till the street lights came on and yeah, playing baseball till your fingers hurt
Sitting on the porch and trying to stay cool, talking with my mom and my brother about hopes and dreams
Listening to Tiger baseball on my small white transistor radio
Turning the pillow over to find a cool spot cuz it was so darn hot and humid at night
Going to parks and recreation for free box lunches and playing at Kiddie Corral on Carpenter and McDougall
Playing Mother May I and Red Light Green Light
Getting drinks from the hose
Buying Town Club pop for birthday parties in the summer

Paczki
Username: Paczki

Post Number: 29
Posted on Sunday, June 03, 2007 - 1:32 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Sitting on the front porch with all the kids in the neighborhood on one porch with the adults on another porch with everyone listening to the tiger game.

Sitting on the hood of a muscle car drinking an ice cold pepsi or coke out of a bottle, listening to ABX and hanging out or if we were at the Island sitting on the hood of the car with all my friends drinking a cold beer or bottle of Strawberry Hill.

Ray1936
Username: Ray1936

Post Number: 1514
Posted on Sunday, June 03, 2007 - 2:47 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Going to the Brennan pools in Rouge Park, and being filled with terror when jumping from the high board for the first time.

I was sure I would not survive.

But I did.

River_rat
Username: River_rat

Post Number: 270
Posted on Sunday, June 03, 2007 - 2:59 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Crystal Pool and Big Boys Drive-In on the hot summer days and evenings.

Jumping off the Belle Isle bridge.

Vernor's at the foot of Woodward after returning from Bob-Lo on the SS Columbia or Ste. Clair.

Paintnprint
Username: Paintnprint

Post Number: 12
Posted on Sunday, June 03, 2007 - 3:39 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Listers,
Sorry, my family evacuated to our summer house on Mansfield Lake for the summer.
A buzz cut, and burned shoulders two days later.
Just as hot as Detroit, but at least I was a hundred steps from cool water.
Skeeters!!! Lots!!!
And speaking of bugs, what were those black beetles with the huge pinchers that lurked in the grass, but sometimes made it to the sidewalk? Big black pinchers. Always had to fuck with the bugs.
The Lakes Drive-In every Thursday night, local kids in tow. Poney rides. Great playground.
Back at the lake, watching a very hot summer evaporate so much of the water that the growing stuff underwater was no longer under water. Looked like a lawn that needed to be trimmed in the middle of a big lake. Warm water that summer.
Catching the same turtles over and over.
Trips into Brighton every Friday. More water. And this time ducks in the pond. Five cents would buy a small handful of corn from the local machine. And the ducks would dive for it. Actually swim four feet down!
That was worth twice the price.
In 1967 I took some summer course at Post Junior High, drama, and actually got to spend some summer time really alone (four other brothers.) And my memory of night in summer Detroit in July is one of the occasional gentle shhh of tires on pavement, old amber street-lights pooling, sleeping-in hours later, moist fragrant grass under sprinklers, sidewalks too hot to tread without shoes, the smell of a cut lawn, fruit back again at last, pears not yet, flowers seen in the alley, and a quiet house at last, though no lake.
Regards,
Koko
P.S. Detroit smelled differently in the summer.

(Message edited by Paintnprint on June 03, 2007)

Lighthaus
Username: Lighthaus

Post Number: 9
Posted on Sunday, June 03, 2007 - 3:47 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Remember parents taking us kids to the end of West Grand Blvd. at Jefferson by the Ambassador Bridge when nights were very hot, to watch ships go up and down the river as the evening got
cooler.

Can also remember running from the very back of third deck at Brennan pool to see if I could jump to other side of pool, never got more than three feet out though, probably would have got hurt if I did make it?

Must of all remember parents taking me on Grand River street car to the ballgame.

Debw858
Username: Debw858

Post Number: 11
Posted on Sunday, June 03, 2007 - 4:15 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I lived on Glenwood and Celestine and every family had at least 5 kids (we had 6 in ours). We were never in the house - we were either outside playing kick ball on the 4 corners of the street, cigarette tag, Mother may I or some kind of game. I also remember the 4th of July we would get to light sparklers (and I can remember my mom being scared that someone was going to get hurt). I had a back porch off of my bedroom on the second floor and me and my girlfriends would sleep out there on a hot summer night. Back in the early 70's we didn't have air conditioners. We only had those little wooden sliding screens that you would put in your window. No one had a computer or cell phone and we all survived.

Blueidone
Username: Blueidone

Post Number: 77
Posted on Sunday, June 03, 2007 - 6:01 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I remember the "long" drive out to our cottage on Williams Lake during the summer(1954-56 or so). Seemed like it took forever to get there and it was such a big deal to drive that 20 miles or so! When not at the cottage, I was riding my bike everywhere, wind in my hair feeling free as a bird! Oh for those tranquil easy care-free days! After the parents divorce in 1957, we lived in Huntington Woods...right across from the rec center...spent my entire summer in the pool until we moved out to Washington Twp in 1965.

Oldredfordette
Username: Oldredfordette

Post Number: 1882
Posted on Sunday, June 03, 2007 - 7:32 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Riding around Old Redford on my bike, transistor radio to my ear, listening to Keener and CKLW, singing along.

Gibran

Post Number: 535
Posted on Monday, June 04, 2007 - 2:37 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

bump: Isn't amazing how magical those summers were even while the rest of the world was in flux...Detroit has some great adventures and they mostly began with our neighborhoods...

Newport1128
Username: Newport1128

Post Number: 32
Posted on Monday, June 04, 2007 - 4:47 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Trips to Bob-Lo. If I was lucky, I got to go twice, once with my mom and again with my aunt. I liked to check out the souvenir shop on the island, and the one on the boat too. I still remember the heat and oil smell coming from the old engines. On a cool day or night, everyone tried to get close to them for warmth. All the life jackets hanging from the deck above were a little scary..hoping we never would need to use them. Captain Bob-Lo, a cranky little old midget who'd yell at the kids "Get off the rail!"
When I was a teenager, taking the "Moonlight Cruise" was cool, except for all the drunken grownups.

One_shot
Username: One_shot

Post Number: 323
Posted on Monday, June 04, 2007 - 5:51 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Going downtown to watch the fireworks and parking near the railroad tracks where they curve to the river under Jefferson. We made it into the riverfront parking lot a couple times too. That was fun. The vendors selling the glow in the dark necklaces too!

Jrvass
Username: Jrvass

Post Number: 89
Posted on Monday, June 04, 2007 - 6:25 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Blueidone:

Where was your cottage on Williams Lk? I live in a converted cottage built in '43 on the canal between Maceday and Williams lakes. The woman who lives next door has lived here since she was a little girl and she is about 60 now and living in her parent's old house on the point. Her uncle built my house and the one next door, and her son lives across the canal in her mother's old house.

I don't know her maiden name but her first name is Lorraine. A few people are still on my street from that era.

I've been here 14 years. About 4 owners ago "Injun Joe" (nobody remembers his real name) lived here and dropped dead in the canal behind my house after fishing for his dinner. When Lorraine's uncle built the house next door, he rented this house to the local schoolteachers.

James

(Message edited by jrvass on June 04, 2007 (to fix mispellings!))

(Message edited by jrvass on June 04, 2007)

Thejesus
Username: Thejesus

Post Number: 1343
Posted on Monday, June 04, 2007 - 6:49 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Growing up in the ‘burbs, it shouldn't be surprising that mine involves a Tiger's game...

My Mom took me to a game against the Blue Jays at Tiger Stadium when I was about 10-years-old (would have been 1991).We were sitting about 10 rows up in foul territory just to the left of the foul pole where a lot of balls get hit, and so at one point during the game my Mom let me walk down the stairs to stand up against the wall to see if I could get a ball.

I was there about 5 minutes when a foul ball ripped down the left baseline all the way to the corner. Tigers' Left Fielder Pete Incaviglia was there to scoop it up. He looked over at the wall and saw me standing there with my hands up ready to catch the ball. He then lobbed the ball in my direction, and just when I was about to catch it, a guy sitting in the seat just to the right of where I was standing reached out with his glove and snatched the ball from in front of me.

I remember turning back to look up at where my Mom was sitting and making a "darn it" gesture with my hand...then all of the sudden, the whole section of people where we were sitting started booing this guy who had just robbed a little 10-year-old of a baseball. Succumbing to the pressure of the crowd, the guy reached out and handed me the ball and said, "Here you go kid. It's yours." I was totally ecstatic. I don’t think I even watched the rest of the game because I was so excited to be holding a ball that was actually played with in a major league game.

Even though it was a prickish thing for the guy to snatch the ball from in front of me, I still appreciated the fact that he gave it to me anyway since he didn’t have to do that, and I’ve always told myself after that if I ever caught a ball at a game again that I’d would make sure to give it to a little kid sitting nearby.

(Message edited by thejesus on June 04, 2007)

Jrvass

Post Number: 90
Posted on Monday, June 04, 2007 - 6:50 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I was about 5 or 6. My Dad, Mom, and Aunt Mary rented a suite at the Book-Cadillac or Pontchartrain. There was the 3 of them, my brother, sister, myself and my cousin, and Aunt Mary's 7 kids.

We had popcorn and pop, and other assorted junk food. The 11 kids in one room watching the fireworks, and the 3 adults (with adult beverages) in the other room. The kids went nuts until the fireworks started! Jumping on beds, etc. We had a bathtub full of ice!

After the fireworks, it was time to pile into the 2 9-passenger station wagons and head home.

Mom and Aunt Mary lined up behind Dad, then lined up the 11 kids from tallest (18) to shortest (3). We all marched out of the elevator in single file as Dad walked up to the desk and paid the hotel bill. When he was done, we all exclaimed in unison "Thank You, Daddy!"

A gentleman sitting in the lobby reading a newspaper looked up and began counting from tallest to smallest! The look on his face! Like he had seen a Mormon polygamist!

Worst summer memory: (Not that you asked) School lets out on Rosa Parks (14th) and the high screwlers try to tip over my SUV at the red light. I am blocked in front and behind by cars. Light turns green and I drive over and around them.

Blueidone
Username: Blueidone

Post Number: 79
Posted on Monday, June 04, 2007 - 6:55 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Jrvass: I don't remember where it was, but when I see my father on Father's Day, I will ask him. I was only 7 when my parents divorced, and we never went there after that. Please email me at corneroffice2 @ aol.com and I will respond to you after I talk to my father.

Jrvass

Post Number: 91
Posted on Monday, June 04, 2007 - 6:59 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thejesus,

I also have a Pete Incaviglia story... He caught a ball along the left field-line fence and fell into the stands, practically into the lap of my brother & I. I saw it on ESPN later that night and set my VCR to record it in the morning on the rebroadcast of SportCenter.

I F-d up setting the VCR and got an hour's worth of Jimmy Swaggert and the PTL (Pass-the-Loot) Club!

Dammit! >:^(

James

Thejesus
Username: Thejesus

Post Number: 1344
Posted on Monday, June 04, 2007 - 7:16 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

^lol...that's pretty sweet! it must have happened the same year as my story since I think he was only with the Tigers for 1 season....

Waz
Username: Waz

Post Number: 55
Posted on Monday, June 04, 2007 - 7:27 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

My Dad and I always went to Palmer Park during the summer; bought some Tid-Bits to feed the ducks in the pond (the pond was awesome for ice skating too, but I'll save that for the "Favorite Winter memories" thread); walked over to the Log Cabin; checked out a softball game. Dad would try to get me to go for a walk in the woods, but I was a mite too skeered.

On the drive back home to Ferndale, I would always say "Hi Mr. Spark Plug" to the Delco billboard at 8 Mile and Woodward.

Good times. That was a wonderful park.

Jrvass

Post Number: 92
Posted on Monday, June 04, 2007 - 7:38 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Holy Cow! It had to be 1991! He only played 1 game in '98.

http://www.baseball-almanac.co m/players/player.php?p=incavpe 01

James

Rocket_city
Username: Rocket_city

Post Number: 284
Posted on Monday, June 04, 2007 - 8:39 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I've only been in Detroit for 3 years, and I'd have to say one of my favorite memories occurred in the summer on Belle Isle right after I got my new camera and was testing it out.

I met a bunch of kids who were spending the day at the beach playing in the water and when they saw that I had a camera, suddenly I became their new best friend. They all wanted to take pictures and make all kinds of poses for the camera.

Being that I just got the thing, I was really on edge and only let the older brother use it. I was scared that it was going to end up in the water.

Anyway, we spent a good 1/2 hour shooting photos, crooked, straight, upside down and all around. I was even forced into some of them. lol. A lot of the pictures really weren't worth taking up space on my hard drive, so many were deleted. But, I still have a folder with the ones that I kept, and they still bring a smile to my face.

That's what living in the city is all about! :-)

Kville
Username: Kville

Post Number: 51
Posted on Tuesday, June 05, 2007 - 5:38 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The vegetable trucks coming down the street announcing their wares "strawberries - 3 quarts for a dollar," etc. The air raid siren going off every Saturday at 1:00 always kept us on our toes and made us a little nervous.

I'm curious. Several people mentioned games they played as children. Does anyone remember playing a game called "3 Feet" aka "3 Feet Across My Mud Puddle"? Or curb ball? We played "3 Feet" all the time - it was kind of a silly game that involved calling out numbers of feet that a person could take from the edge of the yard before making a mad dash to the other side. Certain numbers were "poison" and there were other calls a player could make, like "devil's run" or "double eggshell." I never heard of that game anywhere else.

Helpwanted
Username: Helpwanted

Post Number: 8
Posted on Tuesday, June 05, 2007 - 8:52 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

my family resided in dearborn very close to the detroit boarder. we belonged to st. alphonsus church. coming from a family of 8 kids, all my dad could afford for vacations was camp dearborn, in milford. we would rent 2 tents in tent village. dearborn recreation offered so much to the kids back then. they even would come by and take a family photo. also at the camp each night was the teen dance at the canteen area. the best part was the beach to me. back in dearborn in the summer time there was plenty to do. softball teams, arts and crafts, swimming lessons, and my favorite: water polo. all the good memories too of riding our bikes everywhere, the smell of summer, and people hanging out on their porches to keep cool at night.

Fredgarvin
Username: Fredgarvin

Post Number: 47
Posted on Tuesday, June 05, 2007 - 10:18 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Summer little league games in Allen Park. The night games were pretty cool since you got to play under the lights at Champaign Park. Tiger games, of course. But later years, staying all day Saturday and Sunday in Hines Park, drinking beer (you had to buy Sunday morning's beer on Saturday night) and playing pickup softball games all day long.

You always had ABX, RIF or W4 on in the background. On some weeknights, following Steve Dahl's W4 softball team around town for a laugh and more beer.

14509glenfield
Username: 14509glenfield

Post Number: 994
Posted on Tuesday, June 05, 2007 - 10:46 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Pre-teen the neighborhood consisted of your playmates. Summertime arrived when school let out. Yup, 1 1/2 month later, you probably couldn't wait for school to start?? In the meantime, ALL the above posts above bring back simple times of summer in the city, not just here, but in any city. Technology cannot erase treasured memories of the past. Ctl+Alt+Del doesn't work here. Nice thread. "Call Out" to your neighbor. We all need another friend.

Carolcb
Username: Carolcb

Post Number: 922
Posted on Tuesday, June 05, 2007 - 11:31 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Probably riding our SchwinnTwinn all over town and to places we weren't supposed to go, barefoot, with a bottle of Nesbitts Orange in one hand and the bike in the other hand. Swimming at Silver Lake.
Going to Camp Tanuga. Catching fireflies, running in the grass, playing with the other kids in the neighborhood, swimming in the city pool.

Goblue
Username: Goblue

Post Number: 36
Posted on Tuesday, June 05, 2007 - 7:15 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Lying on a blanket at night in the late '50's with a high school girlfriend at the foot of Alter watching boats and freighters go by...seeing the Bob-Lo boat coming up river toward the lake...the #&@%$ captain caught us in his huge spotlight...fortunately we were both fully clothed...still it was an embarrassing moment listening to the passengers hooting and laughing!! Times are sadly different...

Eastside61
Username: Eastside61

Post Number: 35
Posted on Tuesday, June 05, 2007 - 8:49 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

GoBlue......You were always the EASTSIDE rogue....Do you remember her name who was with you at the foot of Alter....cuz I am still investigating your prom dates name that you have forgotten.....It's back to the Denby files...

Caldogven
Username: Caldogven

Post Number: 50
Posted on Tuesday, June 05, 2007 - 9:42 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Some of my favorite memories from the forty and fifty's are playing baseball from sun up til sun down, either in the alley or at Markhousen School at Cadillac and Warren. If you could get enough to scrape together twenty five cents, you could go across Cadillac to the Johnson Milk Depot and get a half a gallon of orange drink. They would open the fire hydrant next to the school on Hurlbut when it was really hot. Also at night hopping fence's, climbing on garages and enjoying the pears, apples, and cheeries or what ever looked liked it was ripe enough to eat.

Soomka1
Username: Soomka1

Post Number: 17
Posted on Tuesday, June 05, 2007 - 11:16 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I remember watching the news hoping that the Swim-Mobile was coming to our neighborhood back in the 60's. I had never been in a pool before. The only time we got to swim was at Kensington Beach. The best times were when they opened up the hydrant on Robson next to Parkman Elementary and let all of us run wild.

D2dyeah
Username: D2dyeah

Post Number: 58
Posted on Wednesday, June 06, 2007 - 12:02 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Going to Belle Isle in the 1950's on summer nights to watch the fountain, and see it change colors up close, would mesmerize my brother and me. They also had the best bannana ice cream in the world at the refreshment stand. The drive home with the top down over the bridge was terrific.

Lizaanne
Username: Lizaanne

Post Number: 16
Posted on Wednesday, June 06, 2007 - 9:51 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Visiting the Hostess and Wonder bakeries with my Grampa who was a manager there. Watching them make the Twinkies and bread, fresh out of the ovens. Then returning back there almost 30 years later to show him and Gramma the casino - he walked around like he was the CEO, and knew where every office used to be, including his (now a men's room). And seeing how incredibly proud he was to be there still - he retired after 25 years there, and in spite of the lights and bells, it was still like going home for him. (Ok - that got me crying, he's been gone four years now...so glad I could take him there.)

Riding my bike round and round Faust till my lungs hurt, then down the street to Broaster House on Seven Mile to buy the BEST french fries in the world to bring them back to Grandma's house and sit on the front porch with her to eat them before they got cold.

Standing in the bow of the BobLo boat with my cousins, and the push of the wind was so strong we could lean against it and feel like we where flying. James Cameron's got nuthin' on us!! We did it first!!

Shopping with my uncle on Woodward downtown, and visiting the big art supply store where he bought me a set of watercolor paints. Or going to the Ethnic Festivals in the 70's and eating all sorts of cool food. Especially the Croatian Festival (most of them I was probably related to at the time), and watching all the old folks dance the old dances.

I could go on and on....

~Liza

Gibran

Post Number: 549
Posted on Thursday, June 07, 2007 - 6:41 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Ok what about the sounds of summer? CJOM, CKLW...baseball games from transitor radios...

Smells of summer....Wednesday nights walking down the street and the smell of cooking coming from open windows...didn't know that still existed until I was walking a neighborhood in Toronto and had a flashback to my old neighborhood (wayburn)....

Terryh
Username: Terryh

Post Number: 344
Posted on Thursday, June 07, 2007 - 7:11 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I miss spending time downtown with the woman I should have married. Since her it has been one disaster-dissapointment after the next. Spending time at the library-walking across Woodward hand in hand-exploring the Detroit Institute of Arts..

(Message edited by Terryh on June 07, 2007)

Jimaz
Username: Jimaz

Post Number: 2236
Posted on Thursday, June 07, 2007 - 7:40 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

Ok what about the sounds of summer?

Yeah, the clinking of horseshoes from the traditional Wednesday night quoits game at the park. Forty years later the clinking continues every Wednesday night. (Although legend has it the mayor made the participants tone down their language.)

Oh. Sorry. Not that mayor. :-)

(Message edited by Jimaz on June 07, 2007)

Gibran

Post Number: 551
Posted on Thursday, June 07, 2007 - 9:10 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Freighters on the river....

kids playing in the yards....

parents calling their kids for supper

"no Ghosts in the graveyard"

Lizaanne
Username: Lizaanne

Post Number: 29
Posted on Thursday, June 07, 2007 - 9:23 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Running home when the street lights came on, and before Daddy had to yell your name from the front porch.

~Liza

Karen8824
Username: Karen8824

Post Number: 8
Posted on Friday, June 08, 2007 - 5:57 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Riding my bike to the lake (Grosse Pointe) from 7/Kelly. Ethnic festivals. SLURPEES at 7-11
Playing Hide and Seek with the neighbors and using the whole block to hide.... was a long game, but somehow someone always found you.

14509glenfield

Post Number: 998
Posted on Friday, June 08, 2007 - 9:34 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thejesus re: post 1343

A friend, his 11 year-old daughter and myself went to a Was Nats/ Pirates game yesterday in DC. We took AMTRAK. Kaiti's first train ride/ballgame ever. Decent seats along the left field foul line.
Dimitri Young (ex-Tiger) sent a foul ball our way. Bounced into the bull-pen. Retrieved by grounds keeper. Tossed upwards into the stands to the kids leaning over the railing. Dad caught it for her. Very next pitch, Young hit a two-run homer, but the NATS stopped there and lost 3-2. Forget for now about the win or loss for the "home team". What happened a lil' bit later perturbed me.

Outfielders "playing catch" as a warm-up. Kids pleading for that ball. "I'm from McKeesport ( burb of Pitts says Dad)". Another "BALL" caught by Dad. I wanted to express my feelings knowing what that kind of souvenir means to a child, but also didn't want to rock the boat. Now two balls in hand.

Not on a crusade! I have a batting practice home-runner from Tiger Stadium (Bobby Brown is American League President) that I brought along and hid on our journey to and fro the game. I was going to give it to Kaiti because it had served my purpose, and she would go home with a "hat", sunburn, "ball", and memories of her first ballgame/train ride.

Guess I don't have to do that now. One more "kid", I feel, could have treasured a magical moment of "The Boys of Summer" had not the second incident not happened. Just a bit bummed!

Cybersanford
Username: Cybersanford

Post Number: 3
Posted on Friday, June 08, 2007 - 2:32 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hydroplane Races on the river! Always my favorite thing to do in Detroit! Havent missed 1 race in 37 years!

Gibran

Post Number: 552
Posted on Friday, June 08, 2007 - 3:24 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

remember watching frieghters on St Clair...even though we came from Denby area..we all felt weowned a part of the lake, until we were chased off by the police...but it sure was fun hiding from them at the time...mayflies

Mizmotown
Username: Mizmotown

Post Number: 1
Posted on Friday, June 08, 2007 - 3:59 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I know this is Metro-Detroit but I sure miss the days of Hinzes Park. I also remember being at my Grandma's house on Meyers. She lived in front of the train tracks. I would ride my red tricycle up and down the block. Refrigerator was always filled with Faygo Red Pop and Vernor's. Miss having my mom around for egg salad sandwiches and hot fudge creme puffs at Saunders Ice Cream. Went to Hart Plaza and fireworks every late June (my birthday is July 4) Sneaking from Westland Mall on the bus and hanging out downtown all day on Saturday's.

14509glenfield

Post Number: 999
Posted on Friday, June 08, 2007 - 4:24 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Haven't seen a Hydroplane race live since 69/70. The roar of the Roll-Royce and Allisons could be heard to Outer Drive and Chalmers. First turn behind the "Florist Shop" was perfect for qualifying and the race. Radio and TV coverage of the races..outstanding...But you had to be there to soak it up. Try http://www.abrahydroplanes.com /index.cfm?page=Home for more current info. Other links are presented there. Let it go with that and lock your bicycle. The term "THUNDERBOATS" does not exist anymore.

Headskeleton
Username: Headskeleton

Post Number: 3
Posted on Friday, June 08, 2007 - 4:25 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I remember crossing the street and playing in Chandler Park..My Mom and I lived in the Parkside Projects...On Frankfort Court. Early Seventies. I also seem to recall an old antique Fire Truck that had been converted to sell fruit..Driving through the neighborhood...Peaches! Yum!