Discuss Detroit » Hall of Fame Threads » Detnews: Det close to snagging Quicken » Quicken Consolidated Archive » Archive through August 16, 2007 « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Yooper
Username: Yooper

Post Number: 69
Posted on Monday, August 13, 2007 - 2:22 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Does Dan Gilbert have any plans to move the Cavaliers to Detroit?

Gistok
Username: Gistok

Post Number: 5079
Posted on Monday, August 13, 2007 - 2:32 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Now that's just plain silly. Such an undertaking would require a vote by the NBA owners association, and with Bill Davidson planted in Auburn Hills, it just ain't gonnna happen.

The one thing that I could see happening is if Bill Davidson dies (he's already in his 80's), and his heirs decide to sell the franchise... then maybe Dan Gilbert would buy it and sell the Cavaliers in the process.

But I bet that maybe Mike Ilitch would want to buy it, and move them down to a new arena with the Red Wings.

I'm sure there would be a bidding war over the Pistons, if they ever came up for sale. Who knows, maybe even Peter Karmanos would be interested.

Quinn
Username: Quinn

Post Number: 1436
Posted on Monday, August 13, 2007 - 4:09 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Well, my view is we're on a website talking about the cool parts of the city...what to do, who lives here, why they live here, etc. etc. etc.

I think this is a site for interested parties to get and share information on Detroit, both people who live here and people interested in visiting. Not for people who don't live here to tell us what we're doing wrong, and to take enjoyment in telling us how we're going to fail.

Maybe I'm balling these feeling up and unfairly directing them all towards "3rdworldcity."

But that name means he/she clearly thinks we're a Third World City, which is not the case. http://dictionary.reference.co m/browse/third%20world

I'm going to change my username to "detroit_is_a_dump_and_you_are _stupid_for_living_there_ha_ha _losers"

Basically, before he says anything, even if it's about a positive experience, we get to know what he/she thinks about Detroit. That it's the same as an under-developed, poverty stricken city like, oh say, Lilongwe, Malawi.

It's why I say there should be a separate site called "Detroitno.com"

Quozl
Username: Quozl

Post Number: 1165
Posted on Monday, August 13, 2007 - 4:34 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

It's why I say there should be a separate site called "Detroitno.com"

But http://detroitno.com/ links back to DetroitYES, it is one vicious circle Quinn...

Iheartthed
Username: Iheartthed

Post Number: 1368
Posted on Monday, August 13, 2007 - 4:39 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

^That is hilarious.

Quinn
Username: Quinn

Post Number: 1438
Posted on Monday, August 13, 2007 - 11:50 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

OMG...now we know.

3rdworldcity
Username: 3rdworldcity

Post Number: 870
Posted on Tuesday, August 14, 2007 - 12:24 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Quinn, why kill the messenger? Why chastise the kid who yells that the emperor has no clothes?

I wasn't aware that this web site is dedicated only to the topics you think are relevant, "cool parts of the city" etc.

Sorry you don't like my screen name. I admit, it is negative. Maybe I'll change it someday.

Is my overall attitude towards the "City" negative? Sure it is.

I came here in 1956 and except for a couple of years of military service have lived here since then. I've lived in the city and the suburbs. My kids for a time went to Detroit Public Schools. I've invested a lot of money in the city and am still around taking care of my businesses and hoping for the best.

However, I've seen the city decline over the years in virtually every way possible. We moved to the suburbs because even years ago it was apparent the public school system was in decline. It's been one corrupt, incompetent school board after another. Today, the DPS is an embarrassment to all and is one of the main reasons Detroit is the kind of city it is.

The real estate taxes are extremely high - almost double those in Bloomfield Twp for example - and city services are inconsistent and don't begin to reflect the level of service citizens should be receiving for their tax dollars.

The city income tax. Why would one expect the movers and shakers to maintain their businesses in Detroit when they can relocate to the suburbs and save themselves and their employees millions in taxes over the years. Many of my friends have done so for that reason primarily.

Detroit's governance is laughable in many ways. The City Council is a joke and frequently so is the Administration. Worse yet, it's as racist as it can be, a trait one must apparently adopt to be re-elected. The bureaucrocy is bloated and inefficient. Compare the Clerk's office here w/ that of Oakland County.

Detroit's problems and its image have been the topics of countless articles and reports in the national press. Are they all wrong? Look what VW's saying in preparation for a probably move from the area. Are all the people who have "abandoned" the city wrong? Filled with ill-will? Did they cut off their noses to spite their faces?

Thew City can't even run the regional water system correctly; it's been under Court control for years.

The list is endless.

If Detroit were a corporation, it would be bankrupt and out of business in a microsecond.

Are there positive things going on in Detroit? Of course.

I don't think I go out of my way to post negative comments about the city here. When I post something, it's usually about something I know something about. What aggravates me are some of the public statements about the great future Detroit has when it's clear that the speaker doesn't believe it at all; for example, I posted on another thread some truthful observations about the statement made by the new owner of the Comerica Bank Building which were categorically false. The downtown Detroit office market does not have a bright future as claimed. It is in fact dismal and there is no hope for improvement in sight

I think it's great to post about positive things going on in Detroit. However, other forumers are far better at it than I am.

There's a lot of talent and smart, knowledgable people on here. I don't think everyone has blinders on. Why isn't there more outrage about some aspects of Detroit (say, the DPS) and a movement started by people here to do something about the problems when no one else appears to be doing anything? You want the city to regain it's former glory? Actions speak louder than words.

Thejesus
Username: Thejesus

Post Number: 1842
Posted on Tuesday, August 14, 2007 - 1:11 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

::Applauds::

Detroitrulez
Username: Detroitrulez

Post Number: 338
Posted on Tuesday, August 14, 2007 - 1:51 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

3WC....you obviously have NOT read about the terranova scores in the Histeric household. I suggest you get on that. Toot Sweet!

Detroitbill
Username: Detroitbill

Post Number: 284
Posted on Tuesday, August 14, 2007 - 2:59 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

3rd world speaks the truth in many areas , unfortunately, but other than a brief mention there is little note of good things going on (it sounds like he just may not have experienced any) and the many people here who work very hard to keep positive things going in Detroit .. which is not easy. Many of these projects are doing very well , especially in the downtown area and in a time of very apparent financial hardship. For some reason many like to rejoice in failures and mildly note success. Its easy to see why many suburbanites are not particularly enthusiastic, they have no need to be. Their world is not really connected to Detroit other than going to a ballgame or a restaurant. Fortunately, there are many suburbanites who are very interested in their city and participate fully. When a whole area joins together everyone benefits and deep inside its only natural for all to feel good when we succeed. Positive energy always breeds itself, as does negative. For those of us who have lived in the city a long time and have invested much time and our own money in contributing to trying to make this city work better despite many obstacles we of course are pretty sensitive to criticism, which is only natural, but often do appreciate it when it is attached with a recommendation or even better an offer of assistance in some manner. It is especially upsetting when its totally negative and often coming from people who do not even live here everyday. It would be no different that us constantly criticizing the day to day life of a suburban community and the people involved in their operations. When I visit friends in various Oakland county cities ( and Wayne and Washtenaw for that matter) they often are busy criticizing their own officials,corruption, nepotism, the lack of planning in their communities, the lack of culture and many other things. It seems no matter where you live there is some problems, but under no circumstances would I constantly ride them about these issues, something I do not see in reverse. The problems Detroit have are indeed more severe than many of the suburbs but that is par for the course in a large industrial city with economic woes, yet at the same time the city offers many of us a lifestyle we cannot even come close to duplicating in the suburbs, A lifestyle that offers us history, diversity, culture, professional sporting venues, knowledge and geographic offerings the suburbs do not, and that is why many of us live here and enjoy it. People in the suburbs live there for a host of reasons that are positive for their life, each one being good for themselves. If anybody sees the apparent problems, it would be us - WE LIVE HERE EVERYDAY- yet we continue to be committed to it. There is a large group of us now and it is growing which does add incentive. As the old saying goes, "if you cant stand the heat then get out of the kitchen" and many Detroiters did for many reasons ( good and bad) but there is definitely a growing trend of people who do care.
As for being a "3rd world city", I have been to several in my life and all I can say is its the best 3rd world city I have ever seen. Take a trip to one sometime and compare. There is some pretty awful things and areas in Detroit no doubt but there is also some areas as great as any, A 3rd world city has none of this to offer whatsoever.
I also agree with 3rd worlds last comments, that if you want the cities past glory to come back , that action speaks louder than words,, If more felt that way the ride would be a much smoother one.

3rdworldcity
Username: 3rdworldcity

Post Number: 874
Posted on Tuesday, August 14, 2007 - 5:35 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Detroitbill: Your comments are thoughtful, rational and thought provoking.

I actually do not consider Detroit to literally be a Third World City. It's a name I picked on the spur of the moment because I was probably very provoked about dealing with the Building and Safety Engineering Dept. or something on the day I chose the name.

I acknowledge there are many good things about Detroit. The Super Bowl extravaganza was a huge success and we should be proud of pulling it off as we did. The Auto Show is great and generates much positive world wide press. The sports teams are very good and give us much to cheer about, especially the come-back last year by the Tigers. I was at my business in TX last year during a lot of the Series and even the Texans were rooting for Detroit, which they appreciated as an admirable up-from-the-dead accomplishment.

There are clearly many more examples. They are amply covered by others on the forum.

And, I have never rejoiced about Detroit's problems. I've been aggravated by them beyond my ability to cope, but I've never gloated about them. I have a big stake here and would like nothing better than to see a big turn-around. I just don't have much hope, that's all.

You say "positive energy breeds itself." I don't know if that's true. I'm not sure I even understand what you refer to as positive energy. Action is what turns things around.

The biggest action that Detroiters could take is to rise up and change the school system. Detroit families have so much at stake. There must be social activists in the H. Rap Brown mode who will stop at nothing to accomplish that goal. Burn down the School Board Building to get people's attention. Start with that. That might be what it takes. Threaten to recall KK if he doesn't do something. And actually start the recall. For God's sake, somebody do something. With a success in taking over and reforming the school system, people will be surprised at the positive things that will follow. I guess my view is that, sadly, except for some folks here, Detroiters have given up and just don't care. If so, why should the suburbanites and others care?

Jeduncan
Username: Jeduncan

Post Number: 124
Posted on Tuesday, August 14, 2007 - 5:42 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

3rdworld you made some extremely good points there. Accountability in the mayor's office is needed.

plus, I have some matches. :-)

Deandub11
Username: Deandub11

Post Number: 140
Posted on Tuesday, August 14, 2007 - 5:56 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Was this missed in the Living and Investing in the D Magazine from Crains? It is from August 12th.

Subscription Only
http://www.crainsdetroit.com/a pps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/2007 0812/FREE/70813001/-1/toc

"Downtown, Quicken Loans continues to be courted as an office tenant prospect, and talks have heated up in recent weeks.

A riverfront site just east of the Renaissance Center has been pitched to the Livonia-based mortgage company that has previously received pitches on city-owned downtown sites. The riverfront site is owned by General Motors Corp. The Detroit Economic Growth Corp’s George Jackson is pushing two downtown sites. The Premier Garage, the old J.L. Hudson site, was built with footings for an office building to be erected above it. A larger site, which Jackson says he favors, is between Washington Boulevard and Bagley Street at Grand Circus Park, a city-owned site where the former Statler Hilton Hotel once stood.

Stay tuned."

They might just be saying something they've already said in the past in crain's, but I just like the "talks have been heating up" and "stay tuned" parts. Im pulling teeth here.

Billk
Username: Billk

Post Number: 86
Posted on Tuesday, August 14, 2007 - 6:19 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

That is from article from a month or so ago.

Quozl
Username: Quozl

Post Number: 1188
Posted on Wednesday, August 15, 2007 - 6:04 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Come on people, is this whole Quicken relocation talk just a bunch of baloney? I cannot imagine it takes this long to work out a deal with Kwame's crew, unless there were too many hands that had to be greased and Gilbert told them "sa·yo·na·ra Detroit, were staying put in Livonia."

Billk

Post Number: 89
Posted on Wednesday, August 15, 2007 - 6:19 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Well, Dave Gilbert never said he'd make an announcement by July 31. He said something like, "Hopefully I'll have more to say by the end of the month." And Kwame Kilpatrick said things are moving along because we're doing it on the down low. So maybe no news is good news.

Kid_dynamite
Username: Kid_dynamite

Post Number: 179
Posted on Wednesday, August 15, 2007 - 6:22 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Dave Gilbert says a lot of things. They rarely end up true. I listen to Dan, usually.

Billk

Post Number: 91
Posted on Wednesday, August 15, 2007 - 6:29 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Oops I meant Dan.

Wschnitt
Username: Wschnitt

Post Number: 30
Posted on Wednesday, August 15, 2007 - 6:59 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I was there today talking to workers at the UA building and they were continuing work on it. The man I spoke with said that he did not know what was happening, just that they were ripping rooms out and pointed to the top floors. He seemed really sincere.

The security guard at the DW building was really short with me and said something about shops and clinics and offices.

Tkshreve
Username: Tkshreve

Post Number: 127
Posted on Wednesday, August 15, 2007 - 7:14 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

890 posts and we still haven't snagged quicken?

Mackinaw
Username: Mackinaw

Post Number: 3591
Posted on Wednesday, August 15, 2007 - 7:15 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Funny that this security guard (who SCS100 also spoke to) knows this (or says he knows this) when a recent Detroit News had the DW owners say they've had lots of developers approach them but haven't gone with any of them. Perhaps they're undertaking it themselves, much like the Stott owner is hoping to do?

Tetsua
Username: Tetsua

Post Number: 1307
Posted on Wednesday, August 15, 2007 - 7:46 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

890 posts and we still haven't snagged quicken?

Something will happen when we hit 1000 :-)

Lefty2
Username: Lefty2

Post Number: 16
Posted on Wednesday, August 15, 2007 - 8:12 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

how much space is quicken looking for to lease?

Gistok
Username: Gistok

Post Number: 5115
Posted on Wednesday, August 15, 2007 - 9:50 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

That's positive thinking Tetsua... :-)

Anything new going on at the United Artists? Any visible work on the theatre or office tower roof?

Dnvn522
Username: Dnvn522

Post Number: 263
Posted on Thursday, August 16, 2007 - 9:16 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

The man I spoke with said that he did not know what was happening, just that they were ripping rooms out and pointed to the top floors.

Sounds like they should have a building permit for that type of work.... ;)

Johnlodge
Username: Johnlodge

Post Number: 1841
Posted on Thursday, August 16, 2007 - 1:19 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

http://freep.com/apps/pbcs.dll /article?AID=/20070816/COL06/7 0816033

"Quicken has moved in recent weeks to cut costs, slow hiring and shift all its retail lending to “plain vanilla” very-low-risk loans, Gilbert said. But it has not laid off any workers and still expects to grow mortgage lending volume this year by about 10% to more than $20 billion.

Gilbert also said Quicken/Rock’s much anticipated decision about where to locate a new headquarters will not be derailed or delayed by the national mortgage market woes.

“We think this is a blessing in disguise for the company because we think that there’s so much carnage out there – less competitors, less people buying marketing and advertising on the Internet where we play. Although it’s painful for the whole industry and everybody going through it, we think it’s one of those things that’s going to be beneficial to us in the long run,” he said.

“We’re still talking” about options for headquarters, he said, but no final decision has been made and none is imminent. Other people close to the discussions said Quicken/Rock’s search is focused primarily on downtown Detroit, but is tied in part to what happens with other potential big Detroit projects, such as a new arena for the Detroit Red Wings. "

Scs100
Username: Scs100

Post Number: 1400
Posted on Thursday, August 16, 2007 - 1:24 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Well, if it's tied to the arena, we could be waiting a couple of years.

Billk

Post Number: 93
Posted on Thursday, August 16, 2007 - 5:19 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'm going to quit holding my breath now.

Jt1
Username: Jt1

Post Number: 9835
Posted on Thursday, August 16, 2007 - 5:29 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

in case people missed the quote from the article Johnlodge linked:

"“We’re still talking” about options for headquarters, he said, but no final decision has been made and none is imminent."

Iheartthed
Username: Iheartthed

Post Number: 1385
Posted on Thursday, August 16, 2007 - 5:31 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

900!