Discuss Detroit » Hall of Fame Threads » Fort Wayne » Continued Window Restoration at historic Fort Wayne Photos... « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Usnsubvet77
Username: Usnsubvet77

Post Number: 25
Posted on Monday, August 27, 2007 - 3:27 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Here are some photos of the continued window restoration at Fort Wayne.

These windows are from the post Quartermaster Shop. They were removed, reglazed and are being refinished almost entirely by members of the the DetroitYES forum!

Everything is looking great so far! I hope you enjoy the pics and seeing the progress.

Historic Fort Wayne Coalition - Projects Committee

Jjw
Username: Jjw

Post Number: 431
Posted on Monday, August 27, 2007 - 4:06 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I am so happy to see continued restoration work at the fort. This is a jewel in Detroit's crown. Thank you so much for all of your contributions.

Barnesfoto
Username: Barnesfoto

Post Number: 4038
Posted on Monday, August 27, 2007 - 4:16 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

great work! thank you! Sorry that I cannot be there to help!

Plymouthres
Username: Plymouthres

Post Number: 164
Posted on Monday, August 27, 2007 - 5:43 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Subvet-

Thanks for posting the pics! You are the wizard!

Barnes and Jjw-

Thanks for the kind words! The window re-glazing class we taught filled up quickly, and was composed, as Subvet said, of almost all forum members! We made great progress and we are looking forward to starting the Barracks Building in subsequent days.

This is a small start but a good one. As we begin to seal out the weather we can save the remaining structures. We now have approximately a dozen people trained and capable of re-glazing and restoring these old windows, and we will train more if needed. Our goal is to restore/re-glaze and re-paint all of the Barracks Buildings windows, top to bottom, back and front, before the end of the year. This will certainly be a daunting task, but we are up to it. The place is worth it, for sure!

Hopefully, you can all come out and see the progress for yourself. There are plenty of times that the Fort is open during the week and on weekends, and there are tours available by appointment. There has been much done, but as usual, there is much more to do. You can also come out for the workday (the next one is September 15th)and take a "working" tour!

More updates will be posted as they occur!

Usnsubvet77

Post Number: 26
Posted on Tuesday, August 28, 2007 - 6:48 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Jjw and Barnes,

As PlymouthRes said, thank you very much for your kind words about the work at the Fort.

The steam has been building with increased membership, approved work projects and general interest overall that I don't think this train can be stopped!

I would also like to reiterate another point. Even if you do not want to or cannot work at the Fort, just come down and see what is being done. Visiting the Fort is the same as working there. Bringing interest in tours and visiting is what is going to save this place aside from restoration.

You may not see the changes as some a very subtle and therefore the Fort may still seem dismal. However, with every errant bush removed and window re-glazed the Fort comes alive, piece by piece.

We will definitely keep you updated on the progress with photos and reports!

Jiscodazz
Username: Jiscodazz

Post Number: 46
Posted on Tuesday, August 28, 2007 - 10:19 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'm a painter who specializes in historic restoration and would love to help. How do people like me get involved?

Scs100
Username: Scs100

Post Number: 1443
Posted on Tuesday, August 28, 2007 - 10:23 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Show up on the 15th. When the next project lineup is announced here, just say you want to come and come for however long you want, anywhere between 9 AM and 5 PM.

Zimm
Username: Zimm

Post Number: 26
Posted on Wednesday, August 29, 2007 - 12:41 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I was one of the volunteers at this session (my first time there), and found it a very rewarding experience. I had the opportunity to work alongside some good folks, and at the end of the day, we could really notice a difference from our work.

SCS100 and anyone else who worked with me clearing brush my find this amusing-while the concern that we may have been working around poison ivy proved to be unfounded, i am currently at home dealing with a pretty good bout of PI from another brush clearing job i did yesterday. I've got this crap all over my legs, arms and face...

Barnesfoto

Post Number: 4050
Posted on Wednesday, August 29, 2007 - 1:12 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I lived near the fort on and off for years, but only visited a couple times.
My last visit was last summer, when I ran into Mr. Lowell B.

I was appalled at the condition of many of the buildings. Keeping the elements out will mean all the difference in the world.

I am out of the state for the year, otherwise I would be there to help out, but do keep us posted and keep up your great work.

Crystal
Username: Crystal

Post Number: 29
Posted on Wednesday, August 29, 2007 - 7:17 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

A reaction to poison ivy takes about a week to take hold, from the time of contact. One would not have a PI reaction one day after exposure. The impressive vine on the Quartermaster Shop was indeed PI.

At the next Fort Wayne work day, I will be bringing PI spray, Toll House cookies, and teenagers eager and ready to work.

Usnsubvet77

Post Number: 28
Posted on Wednesday, August 29, 2007 - 7:55 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

LOL Zimm,

I know it isn't funny. I didn't say anything because I didn't want to freak anyone out. I got PI ALL OVER my arms!

The doc got me on some pregnizone to help out. I just feel terrible that that happened to you. I intend on distributing some photos of what it looks like at the next workday so everyone can be informed.

I am glad that you enjoyed the workday otherwise.

Until then, I'll be scratching!

Plymouthres

Post Number: 166
Posted on Wednesday, August 29, 2007 - 8:10 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Barnes-

Give us a shout when you are in town and we'll take you on a tour of the Fort and show you what has changed. A lot has happened since you were there last, I would guarantee!

Jisco-

We are about to embark on a very ambitious window restoration project involving the Old Barracks Building inside of the Star Fort. We could use all the help we can get. Please e-mail me at bcjaxson@comcast.net so I can add you to the DetroitYes workday distribution list. I look forward to hearing from you!

Zimm-

Glad that you could bring a bit of the Fort home with you!!! I probably should have tackled the vines as I am not allergic to PI and never have been, but I was running all over that day after teaching the class basics and didn't get to it. Hopefully my wife and I can remove the other vine this weekend and spare you "allergic types" the agony!!

Crystal-

Please come back and help out again!! It was great to meet you and Colin and I am looking forward to working with you folks again!! I got dibs on two tollhouse cookies!!!

Thanks again to those that have volunteered thier time. You are participating in one of the greatest comeback stories ever and very soon many will see the fruits of our labor!

Thanks again all, get well!!

PlymouthRes
Historic Fort Wayne Coalition
Projects Committee Member

Usnsubvet77

Post Number: 29
Posted on Wednesday, August 29, 2007 - 8:14 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Jiscodazz and Barnes….

As Scs said, our next workday will be on September 15th from 9am – 5pm. I will post a notice about 2 weeks prior. We will be having our monthly Projects Planning Committee meeting on the 4th to discuss the objectives for the Sept 15th workday and future projects.

Jisco - We most certainly could use your experience in historic restoration and painting. Our intention is to start re-glazing some of the most damaged windows in the 1848 barracks building within the star fort. I am not sure if we will have a team tasked to do that on the 15th, but I will know after our planning meeting.
Great to have your interest in the fort! If you have specific skills or can bring several people of the same skill set, let PlymouthRes or myself know. That way we can employ you in an area of your expertise. This will give the fort more bang for everyone’s buck and you can feel and though you contributed something beneficial.

Barnes – We are doing everything we can. Rest assured, we will not give up of the fort. Come back and see the progress whenever you are in town. Keep monitoring this site as I post updates about the workdays and photos as frequently as I can.

-Historic Fort Wayne Coalition
Projects Committee Secretary

Plymouthres

Post Number: 167
Posted on Wednesday, August 29, 2007 - 8:17 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Subvet-

Good morning, and I hope all is well with you!!
Great minds type.....er, think alike! Nice response. Carry on!!

Civilprotectionunit4346
Username: Civilprotectionunit4346

Post Number: 403
Posted on Wednesday, August 29, 2007 - 8:22 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Sounds great that they are doing the window restoration. Are they going to be doing any restoration to any of the buildings there at Fort Wayne? I love old historic places like Fort Wayne, coming originally from NJ, their is alot of historic places in the State, as well as NY State. Got to consider those 2 states where part of the original colonies.

Plymouthres

Post Number: 168
Posted on Wednesday, August 29, 2007 - 8:45 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Civil-

We have started an effort to restore ALL of the buildings at the Fort. We have formed a Projects Committee within the Coalition, and we have been aggressively targeting the worst buildings for our immediate attention. As you stated, NY was certainly one of the first cities in NA, but Detroit was already an established fur trading center long before them all.

The buildings that have we have begun to restore are as follows:

1.) Commander's house stairs and fence restoration. The stair rebuild allowed access to a building that has not been open to the public since the early 90's. The fence painting project, which is part of our effort to form a cooperative with the Boy Scouts, will preserve that element of the house for years to come and provided vital interaction with our up and coming future generations.

2.) Blacksmith's Shop just restored this year. Although not the original Fort blacksmith shop, it serves the purpose of educating the public.

3.) Although not a building, the Casemate covers are beginning to be restored one by one. The 5th Michigan (re-enactors group) has taken on the funding of these nd to date two are finished with a third in progress. These take a while to restore to historical accuracy, so work is slow but methodical.

3.) Bulkhead door covers have now been installed on almost all Officer's row houses. This also seals-up the integrity of the buildings to stop further deteroriation.

4.) Window restoration has begun in the Quarter Masters Shop and will soon begin in the Old Barracks Building inside of the Star Fort.

5.) Trees have been cut back from buildings to prevent further spreading decay.

6.) First floor of Building 106 has been cleaned and turned into a paint shop so that we can continue to work indoors this winter out of the elements.

We will be scheduling more and I am sure that I've missed some stuff. Stay tuned for more of Subvets posts on our progress!

Thanks for the inquiry!

PlymouthRes

Scs100

Post Number: 1444
Posted on Wednesday, August 29, 2007 - 11:21 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Zimm, Dad and I both have it, although Dad probably got it the worst out of everyone there that day. Legs, arms, and it even spread to his stomach somehow. Then it got infected, so it has been a nightmare here. I've got it really bad on one arm and both of my legs, although since I got the prednisone, it has gone down a bit.

I didn't mention this to anyone here for the same reason that Subvet didn't, I didn't want to freak anyone out. Don't worry about distributing pictures, just send them behind the quartermasters shop, since the whole back end is crawling with the stuff. (Note to people, keep away from there at all cost.)

Usnsubvet77

Post Number: 31
Posted on Wednesday, August 29, 2007 - 12:25 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Scs,

My sympathies to you and your dad with the PI. We will investigate what the best option would be to get rid of it.

We may have to get some agricultural grade herbicide and just wipe that entire area out so this does not happen again.

I feel very badly that you guys are having to contend with this. I certainly hope this has not left a bad impression on you and that would still consider coming to workdays.

The next workday I am going to rope off that entire area behind the QM shop.

I would also recommend that you use rubbing alcohol and wipe off all the tools that you used and, if you can, pitch the clothes that you wore.
The oils from the PI plant can stay on surfaces indefinitely. Therefore you can keep re-exposing yourself.

P.S.
Can anyone find the poison ivy in this photo? <laugh> I...(itch, itch)...obviously can't.

SubVet, Scs and Zimm BATHING in PI (nice)

Plymouthres

Post Number: 172
Posted on Wednesday, August 29, 2007 - 12:29 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Napalm is the most effective treatment that I've ever seen! The smell is a bit much, though!

I'll try to remove it when I'm there this weekend. That should help a bit.

By the way, the old saying in Boy Scouts was "leaves of three, let it be!"

Perhaps I should have shared this BEFORE the workday!!!

Scs100

Post Number: 1445
Posted on Wednesday, August 29, 2007 - 12:31 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Considering I was a boy scout at one point, I should be the one who gets called a dumbass. But, since we were all caught up at that point, not much we could have done.

Plymouthres

Post Number: 174
Posted on Wednesday, August 29, 2007 - 12:33 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Perhaps a "body condom" of some sort next time, eh?

Scs100

Post Number: 1446
Posted on Wednesday, August 29, 2007 - 12:35 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Next time, you will probably see me in jeans and a long sleeve shirt. Unless it is 90+, and then I'll just go for the shorts again.

Alan55
Username: Alan55

Post Number: 424
Posted on Wednesday, August 29, 2007 - 12:42 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Good job by all, on a very worthy project.

1st_sgt
Username: 1st_sgt

Post Number: 107
Posted on Wednesday, August 29, 2007 - 3:11 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Use this on the bush:
http://poisonivy.aesir.com/vie w/control.html#54

This works to stop the itching for me:
http://zanfel.com/

Scs100

Post Number: 1451
Posted on Wednesday, August 29, 2007 - 4:40 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The area boxed in red is where the poison ivy is. Sorry for the bad quality, Google Earth didn't provide a great resolution shot.

A wider shot of the fort, with the building in question boxed in red.

Zimm
Username: Zimm

Post Number: 27
Posted on Wednesday, August 29, 2007 - 11:12 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

not that it would have dampened my enthusiasm for a return trip to volunteer at the fort, but i am 100% positive that my bout of PI did not come from the fort, even though it appears i was handling a lot of it while there. if it had come from that day, i would definitely have rashes in at least 1 place that i do not, and would not have it in 1 place that i currently do.

that being said, blocking off the PI infested areas until it can be removed sounds like a pretty good idea to me. and like SCS100, i'll be dressed with a bit more coverage next time! =)

Dinnc
Username: Dinnc

Post Number: 8
Posted on Thursday, August 30, 2007 - 10:21 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I have been reading the updates and have been very impressed. I have never been to the fort and would love to take a tour, possibly bring my father and brother along. My brother is in a wheelchair, how much would he be able to see? My father is retiring tomorrow after 40 years with the water sewage dept. of Detroit!!! I think he might have some free time to help out.

I currently live out of state but will be in town Oct6th-8th. Can I possibly get a tour? Thanks a bunch.

I don't mind giving out my e-mail, but not sure about the rules (I am new the the forums).

Barnesfoto

Post Number: 4079
Posted on Friday, August 31, 2007 - 1:59 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Tried to get my pops to go last summer, but given that he had an army physical there in the 50's, he still refuses to set foot in the place, apparently the memories are unpleasant.

Queensfinest
Username: Queensfinest

Post Number: 124
Posted on Friday, August 31, 2007 - 2:41 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

What is the status of Ft. Wayne? Is it open to the public. When I was a teenager during the years that I lived in Detroit I can remember field trips we had taken there through our school. Is this still happening often?

Usnsubvet77

Post Number: 32
Posted on Friday, August 31, 2007 - 8:54 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Dinnc, Barnes, Queens...

I would certainly encourage you all to come out and see the Fort! This is one of the ways, outside or working there, that we can bring mroe and more exposure of the Fort to the city. The city knowing that Fort Wayne is important and could eventually turn into a profitability will ensure its survival.

Barnes- I am sorry to hear about your father's bad experiences. I can completely understand and appreciate any feelings, positive or negative that a veteran may have. One thing that may be a future venture of our is to develop a video narrative of oral interviews from veterans and their Fort Wayne experiences, obviously good or bad. If it would not be too difficult for him, perhaps your father would be willing to share those experiences so that others may know what it was like at the Fort during the time he was there?

Dinnc – The Fort is open for tours on the weekends, but I will get the times for you to be absolutely correct since you are from out of town. Currently, members of the Parks and Rec Dept for a small nominal fee primarily give the tours. (Something like $3 per person or such). Wheelchairs are not a problem since most of the only displays or areas accessible to the public are ground floor access only. So, disability accommodations would not be and issue. I am not sure about the displaying of emails on the forum, but I will find out and then we can communicate through those means.

Queens – The Fort itself is closed during the week, but is open for tours on the weekend, pending the availability of the Parks and Rec staff. We have Boy Scout troops come down for workdays to assist. However, I am not sure of school field days. The Fort does house several programs for underprivileged youth such as the Randolph School (which teaches kids about architecture and preservation) and a currently idle coop program called Green Industries (which teaches shop skills and wood working, etc). These programs are based out of several building within the Fort complex. However, as interest is generated, more and more activities are being held and the Fort. Soccer games hosted on the parade grounds, Detroit held a “White” party (I apologize if I have got the event name incorrect) in the 1848 barracks and there is an annual Civil War encampment/tactical demonstration held there as well.

The Fort is definitely breathing again! With every visitor and volunteer hour contributed, the phoenix is rising from it’s ashes!

Johnlodge
Username: Johnlodge

Post Number: 2148
Posted on Friday, August 31, 2007 - 9:51 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Plymouth, I emailed you re: volunteering at Fort Wayne. Did you get my email?

Plymouthres

Post Number: 177
Posted on Friday, August 31, 2007 - 10:10 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Dinnc-

This is PlymouthRes, and Subvet and I are members of the Historic Fort Wayne Coalition and also he and I serve as members of the Projects Committee.

Congratulations to your father for his many years of distinguished service to the City. It is a rarity to see someone with that many years of experience any more, and he should be applauded for his effort!

I would be honored to hook-up a tour for you, your father and your brother during your upcoming visit to Detroit. I would appreciate it if you would drop me an e-mail at bcjaxson@comcast.net so we can make arraingements.

Subvet is also correct with the accessability issues and there is much to see even on the ground level! Please let me know if I can assist in any way.

Queens-

The offer extends to you as well. Please let us know if you would like to take a tour when you are back in town. We would be glad to arrange something for you.

We are trying very hard to restore this place back to it's former stature as one of less than a dozen remaining Star Forts in the country. In my research of forts and the fort systems that this country built for it's defenses, Fort Wayne is definitely at the top of the heap in regards to historic significance. It is indeed a gem that needs to be restored.

Barnes-

Perhaps he could be persuaded o come down when, as Subvet said, we began our effort to capture the memories/signatures/memories those people who entered their military service there went through soon. Hopefully, we will be able to archive their experiences adequately for future generations to have and to hold.

I look forward to hearing from you!