Discuss Detroit » Hall of Fame Threads » Harper Woods » Archive through August 13, 2007 « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Mauser765
Username: Mauser765

Post Number: 1753
Posted on Tuesday, August 07, 2007 - 10:07 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"full senior high school, it used to a long time ago now its called a secondary school."

Uh - well whats the big building at the end of my street dude ? They combined schools in the old high school. Ive been to homecoming dances there for high school kids, and Ive been to three of their proms.

Heres a few pics of the new high school from the baseball fields:

Text description

Text description

Meaghansdad
Username: Meaghansdad

Post Number: 36
Posted on Tuesday, August 07, 2007 - 10:40 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Mauser,
Please quit answering this dudes posts.Clearly he's posting some totally inaccurate info!

Mauser765

Post Number: 1755
Posted on Tuesday, August 07, 2007 - 11:59 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yeah, sorry - Dannys an old timer.

Anyway - theres the new school. Looks pretty impressive.

Norwalk
Username: Norwalk

Post Number: 113
Posted on Tuesday, August 07, 2007 - 12:36 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The secondary school is from grades 7 to 12 Tyrone is grades 4 5 &6 and Beacon School kintergarden to 3rd grades. My son graduated from Harper High in 2001 and my daughter in 2005.
My sons graduating class size was around 70 and my daugters was around 90 students.
It was always a close knit group of kids.
We all currently reside in Hamtramck.

Norwalk

Post Number: 114
Posted on Tuesday, August 07, 2007 - 12:57 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Mauser, drunk chaperones? You must be referring to Grosse Pte. North?

Mauser765

Post Number: 1757
Posted on Tuesday, August 07, 2007 - 1:29 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

No. HW

Meaghansdad

Post Number: 38
Posted on Tuesday, August 07, 2007 - 1:56 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

You went from HW to Hamtramck??

Newport1128
Username: Newport1128

Post Number: 87
Posted on Tuesday, August 07, 2007 - 3:07 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Danny,
If you read the other posts, you'll see that most people at least try to use good grammar, spelling and syntax. It makes it easier for other people to read and understand without having to "translate". If your point or opinion is expressed using substandard English, some folks won't even bother to read it, much the same way that a potential employer won't bother reading a resume with errors in it.
By the way, I will continue to express my opinions on this forum when and how I wish. If you don't want to read them that's your privilege. I don't know what "codespeak" is; I prefer to use Standard English.

Dougw
Username: Dougw

Post Number: 1841
Posted on Tuesday, August 07, 2007 - 4:44 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

And beyond that, is there some sort of mentality in Detroit that doesn't exist in most other places that cause people to be overly paranoid and cut-and-run rather than proactively work to ensure their neighborhood and city remains a nice place?

Yes.

Sardonicus
Username: Sardonicus

Post Number: 8
Posted on Tuesday, August 07, 2007 - 4:46 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I was born and raised in HW on Woodland between Kelly and Beaconsfield. My parents were fairly early in their marriage and left the East Side of Detroit to move to a new house in the new suburb. We had six kids crammed into a small 3 bedroom house but never realized we were too crowded. The neighborhood was loaded with kids in the 60s and 70s. It was crazy the amount of kids running around on the block. Now it is very quiet as far as kids are concerned. My parents still live there and seem pretty content but most of the neighbors I grew up with have passed away or moved out of the community.

I left because I felt it was necessary to grow and not stay too dependent on what I knew as a child but I want HW to age with some sense of history and community. Most of the people I have followed have moved away, often to "newer" communities up the East Side to 21 Mile and Garfield or 22 and Van Dyke, New Baltimore, Port Huron, etc.

I can't fault people for choosing comfort and security over loyalty to a municipality yet there is some sort disease of abandonment in the Metro Detroit area. Instead of staying where they are happy for many years it seems like the desire to find reason to panic and pull up stakes wins out.

I know this has been discussed to death on DetroitYes! but it is this mindset that has lead to Detroit (and quickly inner-ring suburbs) becoming troubled areas with people moving further and further from the center in the quest for some elusive holy grail. We have become our own worst enemies and those who stay tend to face far more unpleasantness than they deserve and those who leave start communities that are only doomed to follow suit, to be abandoned in a generation or so.

It would be nice for Harper Woods to have some foresight and look to stem the tide. The high school is apparently an attempt to reinvigorate the community (whether it is a wise move or not I don't know, my parents don't like it) but my sense is that those folk (especially the white folk)who live there still see a decline that is inevitable and that self-fulfilling prophecy will be very difficult to avoid.

Mauser765

Post Number: 1760
Posted on Tuesday, August 07, 2007 - 4:53 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I was born at St John, and I would like to get further in life than two miles from where I was born by the time I die. Hahahaha !

Mauser765

Post Number: 1761
Posted on Tuesday, August 07, 2007 - 5:06 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"I'll be mowing the lawn, trying to avoid tickets..."

I had the team of non english speaking Mexican workers from NuAppearance on my lawn at 8 am on a Saturday morning buzzing away one time.

Problem was, my grass was definitely already cut. They looked puzzled, and then began running over it anyway. They had no identification, no paper work, and claimed not to know english. Nobody else from the company with them, and the DPW was closed, and so was the city.

I went to the DPW on Monday pretty pissed off of course. I got no green warning ticket I could find, but they claim the inspector left one on Thursday during the day. That meant that they came to cut before the 48 hour grace period. Oops.

Yeah, that went away real quick, especially with a prompt notice of legal representation sent to the city.

Nice tactic too, having the inspectors write the majority of notices on Thursdays, so when the NuAppearance guys show up, theres nobody to call or talk to.

I also inquired with Mr Snyder why he wouldnt issue my neighbor a warning to cut the grass between his privacy fence and my cyclone fence - it had grown tall enough to lope over onto my side. (we're talking 4 feet tall) He even pulled into my driveway to see it. He refused to give them notice to cut it - as the city code requires for those fences. You must be able to cut that grass from your side of the fence. He suggested that I either poison the vegetation on my neighbors property or "cut it yourself".

Turns out their kids went to school together. Small towns can be a drag like that sometimes.

I cut the grass between the fences myself now.

Norwalk

Post Number: 115
Posted on Wednesday, August 08, 2007 - 9:59 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yes we went from HW to Hamtramck. Being that both of my kids had graduated the school district was no longer a factor. We could live anywhere and we had always wanted to live in a more urban setting Hamtramck had more to offer than anywhere in Detroit. My house now is twice as big as my house on Roscommon in Harper Woods and for half the price. Also my it was closer to CCS where my son graduated from and my daughter now attends.

Novine
Username: Novine

Post Number: 30
Posted on Wednesday, August 08, 2007 - 10:33 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

HW is another mini-city that doesn't really make sense these days. I can't imagine that GP Woods would merge with HW but that seems to make the most sense geographically.

Mauser765

Post Number: 1769
Posted on Wednesday, August 08, 2007 - 12:01 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

10 minute drive to CCS from Harper Woods. I lived at 32 mile road and Rochester when I went to CCS.

Hamtramck is cool tho.

As far as this "cut and run" business, does this mean nobody should ever leave a city for any reason ? I dont understand that logic at all. i grew up in Sterling freaking Heights, do I gotta move back there to make sure the municipality is assured longevity ?

People get all nationalistic about cities, and thats just a bit far fetched for me.

Applesauce
Username: Applesauce

Post Number: 64
Posted on Friday, August 10, 2007 - 11:18 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I grew up in GPW & have lived in HW for the past 4 years. The month I moved in there was a robbery on Woodmont (very close to my home) which resulted in the murder of an elderly woman. This did not make me feel good about buying a home in HW to say the least. Since then there hasnt been any trouble close to my home, but I'm concerned about the latest murders/shootings/crime. My children attend GP schools & we are heavily involved in HW Little League (which I applaud), but I can only see things going downhill from a neighborhood aspect & fear I'll need to sell within the next 2 years. With all of the homes for sale & foreclosures in the neighborhood, people are buying/renting these homes for well under asking price & not always taking care of the property.

Norwalk

Post Number: 116
Posted on Friday, August 10, 2007 - 4:22 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

HW's Little League is a great program that brings the kids from the GP schools and the HW schools together.

Zimm
Username: Zimm

Post Number: 21
Posted on Saturday, August 11, 2007 - 12:17 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"HW's Little League is a great program that brings the kids from the GP schools and the HW schools together."

that's kinda funny to me because one of my dad's favorite stories to tell is how one summer, his block on Fleetwood had enough kids his age to field their own little league team in the Grosse Pointe Little League (they practiced in empty lots their still fledgling subdivision.) Calling themselves the "Fleetwood Bombers" they entered the league as an unsponsored team without uniforms, and proceeded to go undefeated, winning the Grosse Pointe Little League championship.

Caldogven
Username: Caldogven

Post Number: 108
Posted on Saturday, August 11, 2007 - 5:36 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Zimm
I knew some of the Vesparini's who lived on Fleetwood.

Mauser765

Post Number: 1788
Posted on Saturday, August 11, 2007 - 8:46 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I never went down Danbury before cause its a dead end - what a beautiful set of houses over there. White picket fences and everything.

Meaghansdad

Post Number: 56
Posted on Sunday, August 12, 2007 - 12:58 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Mauser,
" White picket fences and everything"
You got jokes?

Scsmich
Username: Scsmich

Post Number: 3
Posted on Sunday, August 12, 2007 - 9:36 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I hung in HW parking lot in 72-75. Many good times. How about Gary, Telly, Ed, Bob N?

Mauser765

Post Number: 1790
Posted on Sunday, August 12, 2007 - 10:59 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

No - isnt there actually white picket fences on a house or two ?

Mauser765

Post Number: 1792
Posted on Sunday, August 12, 2007 - 2:33 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Text description

Fareastsider
Username: Fareastsider

Post Number: 525
Posted on Sunday, August 12, 2007 - 8:46 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Why didnt Detroit ever annex that last undeveloped piece of Gratiot Twp???

Zimm
Username: Zimm

Post Number: 22
Posted on Sunday, August 12, 2007 - 9:22 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"Zimm
I knew some of the Vesparini's who lived on Fleetwood."

they were just a couple of houses down from my family, the Zimmermans-and were there for a long time (but gone for a couple decades now, i believe.). i think my dad ran around with one of their kids. Frank perhaps? (the name sounds right.) a bunch of those guys got together for the first time in 40 years a couple weeks back to toast one of their own who is in the final stages of a battle with cancer.

Caldogven
Username: Caldogven

Post Number: 109
Posted on Sunday, August 12, 2007 - 10:37 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Zimm
Ronny and Kitty V. were twins. They went to Eastern High School. Ronny was a friend of my brother and Kitty married a friend of mine.

Applesauce

Post Number: 65
Posted on Monday, August 13, 2007 - 10:04 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Anyone here trying to sell a home in HW? If so, whereabouts are you located & what kind of buyers/offers are you getting if any? I know there are 5 in my general area that havent moved in about 5 months.

Miketoronto
Username: Miketoronto

Post Number: 611
Posted on Monday, August 13, 2007 - 10:17 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I tis a shame older areas like Harper Woods are not considered good enough by most people today.

I have family who live in Eastpointe(East Detroit) and just like Harper Woods, it is a nice quiet community. Yes the houses are smaller, but I find both suburbs very cute and nice.

Applesauce

Post Number: 66
Posted on Monday, August 13, 2007 - 10:41 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yeah, its not a bad place to live & raise a family for now. I'm east of 94, GP schools & live on 1 of 2 streets in HW that have access to Monteith Elementary which is a great school. However, my taxes are 5K/yr & hard to justify with no parks to speak of, & the increasing crime rate. I have friends a few streets over in GPW that dont pay what I do, very frustrating!