Discuss Detroit » Hall of Fame Threads » Upper Class Black Neighborhood » Archive through September 04, 2007 « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Monahan568
Username: Monahan568

Post Number: 193
Posted on Tuesday, September 04, 2007 - 5:11 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Does anyone know of an area in Detroit thats mostly black and upper class. Was just in Atlanta and there are many sub-divsions that are mostly made up of upper class black families. These communities have little crime and mostly black owned retail stores. Does detroit have such an area?

(Message edited by monahan568 on September 04, 2007)

Iheartthed
Username: Iheartthed

Post Number: 1539
Posted on Tuesday, September 04, 2007 - 5:12 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

LOL, wow...

ETA: No wonder you felt so out of place at the CAY building.

(Message edited by iheartthed on September 04, 2007)

Mayor_sekou
Username: Mayor_sekou

Post Number: 1444
Posted on Tuesday, September 04, 2007 - 5:18 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

lol, I guess I'm from one of those neighborhoods and there are plenty of them like Palmer Woods, Rosedale Park, LaSalle Gardens, Sherwood Forest, University District, maybe Boston Edison, possibly Indian Village. Or pretty much any upper middle class neighborhood in the city since the city is 87 percent black. If that helps.

Craig
Username: Craig

Post Number: 323
Posted on Tuesday, September 04, 2007 - 5:21 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

LOL because we're so poor in Detroit?

I think that the "Detroit as a black city" generalization will serve you well. Black and affluent (such as it is, which may have been Iheart's point) are synonymous with the old affluent neighborhoods: Indian Village, Rosedale Park, Palmer Park, etc. My guess, though, is that the truly affluent blacks of Detroit are in fact metro residents and happily set up in Novi where they're outnumbered by whites and Asians.

Jt1
Username: Jt1

Post Number: 9910
Posted on Tuesday, September 04, 2007 - 5:22 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

Dose anyone know of an area in Detroit this mostly black and upper class. Was just in Atlanta and there are many sub-divsions that are mostly made up of upper class black families. These communities have little crime and mostly black owned retail stores. Dose detroit have such an area?

Nope, the city is all poor black people that don't like whites. 'They' also agree with everything in city gov't since 'they' elected the officials in charge.

Turning off sarcasm.

Gazhekwe
Username: Gazhekwe

Post Number: 313
Posted on Tuesday, September 04, 2007 - 5:23 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Check out the Avenue of Fashion, Livernois north of Seven Mile, bordering on Palmer Woods and Green Acres, and within a stone's throw of the University District.

Iheartthed

Post Number: 1540
Posted on Tuesday, September 04, 2007 - 5:24 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Well, as I pointed out in another thread, the median household income in the zip codes that make up Rosedale Park are similar to the median household income of Royal Oak (and Rosedale Park also has more people). When North Rosedale is isolated, I believe the median income level is similar to that of Birmingham.

Monahan568

Post Number: 194
Posted on Tuesday, September 04, 2007 - 5:26 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

would you really consider these areas as upper class i mean 50 years ago maybe but the majority of there property vaules are much lower then that of other neighborhoods outside of the city. (based on $ per square foot) also crime is very high in these neighborhoods and there are no major retail chains in or around these areas

Mayor_sekou

Post Number: 1447
Posted on Tuesday, September 04, 2007 - 5:29 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

What is your definition of upper middle class?

Jt1

Post Number: 9911
Posted on Tuesday, September 04, 2007 - 5:31 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Nope, they are all poor black people that hope to one day be able to afford to move to Harper Woods.

Why ask questions if you already know the answers and won't listen to anything anyone says. What kind of affirmation are you looking for. Let me know and I will just agree with you so that you can continue on in your train of thought.

Islandman
Username: Islandman

Post Number: 868
Posted on Tuesday, September 04, 2007 - 5:35 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Monahan,

Have you ever been to Sherwood Forest or any of the other areas mentioned?!?

"Crime is very high in these neighborhoods"
Really? Which ones, all of them?

Lack of retail is a problem that faces the entire city, not just these neighborhoods.

What is the purpose of your question?

Iheartthed

Post Number: 1541
Posted on Tuesday, September 04, 2007 - 5:36 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

If anything, I'd say Detroit has a higher than average number of "affluent" black neighborhoods than other cities...

Detroit_stylin
Username: Detroit_stylin

Post Number: 4862
Posted on Tuesday, September 04, 2007 - 5:39 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

To make him feel better about his ill concieved perceptions and life long biases...

He basically needs affirmation...

Danny
Username: Danny

Post Number: 6464
Posted on Tuesday, September 04, 2007 - 5:43 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

North Rosedale Park, Indian Village, Morningside, East English Village, Bagley, Boston Edison are a few of Detroit's upper class black ghettohoods.

Masterblaster
Username: Masterblaster

Post Number: 80
Posted on Tuesday, September 04, 2007 - 5:52 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The residential neighborhoods are spectacular, but the retail is LACKING.

The retail strips of the Avenue of Fashion and Grand River in the Grandmont/Rosedale neighborhoods have decent retail - but not really all that upscale.

There are no vibrant shopping districts in the City of Detroit. None.

No Monohan, there are no Gaps or Lerners New York or Victoria's Secret. These are places where black folks have to go to the mall to get to them.

Monahan568

Post Number: 195
Posted on Tuesday, September 04, 2007 - 5:53 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

there are many affluent black business people in the metro detroit area if the city of detroit is failing to attract these people as residents then how successful will the city be at attracting people of other racial groups.

Mayor_sekou

Post Number: 1452
Posted on Tuesday, September 04, 2007 - 5:57 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Sarcasm aside that is a valid question, but I would suppose you would attract wealthy black just like you would attract any wealthy person, good schools, low crime, and some of the other factors that make a desirable city that I dont feel like typing.

Jt1

Post Number: 9912
Posted on Tuesday, September 04, 2007 - 6:08 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Per the 2000 census:

Detroit had:

50,432 households making 50-75K
23,430 households making 75-100K
15,291 households making 100-150K
5,985 households making 150+

While it is small on a percentage basis it is still over 90,000 households.

Bumble
Username: Bumble

Post Number: 337
Posted on Tuesday, September 04, 2007 - 6:12 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

If Avenue of Fashion is upscale, you guys don't get our much.

This is a legitimate question, and the answers it's generating don't really support the notion that Detroit has a flourishing upper middle class black population.

Of course, there isn't much that flourishes in Detroit besides entropy, so I guess you have to take that with the territory.

Jt1

Post Number: 9914
Posted on Tuesday, September 04, 2007 - 6:13 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

This is a legitimate question, and the answers it's generating don't really support the notion that Detroit has a flourishing upper middle class black population.

Like most posts the poster is considered when answering the question. Seeing that monahan has posted some beauties of late I suspect that his/her question is less than sincere.

Gazhekwe

Post Number: 315
Posted on Tuesday, September 04, 2007 - 6:15 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hey, s/he didn't say the retail was upscale. I thought s/he said it was owned by the people in the neighborhood though.

Crawford
Username: Crawford

Post Number: 116
Posted on Tuesday, September 04, 2007 - 6:19 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

In the suburbs, while they are not (yet) the majority, parts of eastern Farmington Hills and West Bloomfield have seen an influx of middle and upper-middle class blacks over the last 7 or 8 years. I think certain neighborhoods will soon resemble a more upscale version of Southfield.

You can see the demographic changes in the school systems. In both Farmington Hills and West Bloomfield, the high schools are maybe only 10% black, but certain elementary schools are 30% black or more.

Jt1

Post Number: 9915
Posted on Tuesday, September 04, 2007 - 6:20 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

In both Farmington Hills and West Bloomfield, the high schools are maybe only 10% black, but certain elementary schools are 30% black or more.

So given the history of SE Michigan we can expect people to start moving out of (fleeing) Farmington Hills and West Bloomfield.

Monahan568

Post Number: 196
Posted on Tuesday, September 04, 2007 - 6:24 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

jt1
were you hugged as a child?

Jt1

Post Number: 9916
Posted on Tuesday, September 04, 2007 - 6:24 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Ans since Southfield is mentioned let's look at some numbers:

Black and White by year:

Black - 22053
White - 51427

Black - 42454
White - 30431

Glad to see that soooo much has changed in SE Michigan in the last 50 years.

Gazhekwe

Post Number: 317
Posted on Tuesday, September 04, 2007 - 6:25 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yep, watch out. The quality of the schools will unaccountably start slipping, according to those who want some non-racist reason not to send their kids there. The slipping part is a perception that somehow, black students are not able to maintain the high standard of academics previously seen at the school before they got there. Most sickening example of codespeak I have heard, and it does damage the school systems where the families speak and believe it.

Jt1

Post Number: 9917
Posted on Tuesday, September 04, 2007 - 6:28 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

jt1
were you hugged as a child?

Yes, often. I was also raised to not assume that slow/indifferent service from a black person is just because I am white and they are racist or believe that because 'those' people elected someone to office the city is exactly how 'they' want it.

Carry on and remember if a black person is rude to you it is because you are white and in Detroit and Detroiters (codespeak for blacks) don't like you.

Your previous posts have spoken a lot about how you see things.

I would offer you a hug but I have a pretty solid tan so I don;t want to scare you off.

Jt1

Post Number: 9918
Posted on Tuesday, September 04, 2007 - 6:31 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

Yep, watch out. The quality of the schools will unaccountably start slipping, according to those who want some non-racist reason not to send their kids there. The slipping part is a perception that somehow, black students are not able to maintain the high standard of academics previously seen at the school before they got there. Most sickening example of codespeak I have heard, and it does damage the school systems where the families speak and believe it.

Yes. Here is one I like:

'We have a black family on our block. They seem nice and take care of their lawn.' Of course more than one black family on that block may cause the novelty to turn to fear.

Mayor_sekou

Post Number: 1454
Posted on Tuesday, September 04, 2007 - 6:32 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Jeez, I didn't know Southfield had white flight like that. I guess somethings dont change.

Jt1

Post Number: 9919
Posted on Tuesday, September 04, 2007 - 6:33 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

And Gazheke to add to your point. Many people point out how Southfield is going downhill yet it is a much wealthier city (2000) than it was in 1990).

According to SEMCOG numbers it seems that the increase in wealth in S'Field has outpaced inflation (guessing since I didn't run the numbers) yet many will swear that it has gone downhill.

Wonder why?