Discuss Detroit » Hall of Fame Threads » ::: Detroit Schools Mega Thread ::: » St. Ambrose High and Church » Archive through June 13, 2007 « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Newport1128
Username: Newport1128

Post Number: 22
Posted on Saturday, May 26, 2007 - 1:41 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Any other former Cavaliers and Ambrosians out there?

Irish_mafia
Username: Irish_mafia

Post Number: 904
Posted on Saturday, May 26, 2007 - 1:59 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Present Ambrosian.

I believe MikeM is as well.

Wasn't a school alum... but I was at MSU when Perles was there (old St. Ambrose coach).

Tony_box_42
Username: Tony_box_42

Post Number: 34
Posted on Saturday, May 26, 2007 - 2:23 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

From 2nd. grade to 10th. Remember Fr. Van Antwerp? How about Sister Bernard Marie?

Newport1128

Post Number: 23
Posted on Saturday, May 26, 2007 - 3:03 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I remember Fr. Van well. Cranky old guy, but he always gave us altar boys 50 cents for serving his Masses. He had a big old dark blue'59 Cadillac with the tall tailfins. Sr. Bernard Marie...I still have nightmares about her! Sr. Helen Edward was very nice. She taught Latin.
I was in the class of 1969.

Tony_box_42

Post Number: 35
Posted on Sunday, May 27, 2007 - 8:34 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Did Fr. Van "encourage " you to
put 25 cents in the poor box ?
I served early mass. Walking to
church I was stopped by the cops.
Wanted to know why I was out alone
so early in the morning. They followed
me the rest of the way. I don't think
they believed me.

Newport1128

Post Number: 27
Posted on Sunday, May 27, 2007 - 10:18 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

He probably did, but I only put in a dime LOL. My mom used to hate it when I'd get scheduled for 6:00 a.m. Mass all week. She'd have to get up even earlier than usual and drive me to church and then home. And there were probably 5 people in church (including her). What years did you attend St. Ambrose? I was there from 1956-69, all 12 grades.

Joymac
Username: Joymac

Post Number: 1
Posted on Tuesday, June 05, 2007 - 12:54 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

i went to saint ambrose 4th through eighth grade, graduated in 75 - 76? My mom went to the high school. Some of my best school days there. Actually married one of my class mates many years later!

Crew
Username: Crew

Post Number: 1271
Posted on Tuesday, June 05, 2007 - 1:23 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Both my brothers and my older sister went to HS there. Graduated in '69, '70 and '71. Brothers were both football jocks....guess I'm the runt.

Newport1128

Post Number: 33
Posted on Tuesday, June 05, 2007 - 4:22 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Crew, which sibling graduated in 1969? That was my year. My last name is Delaney.

Ron_saad
Username: Ron_saad

Post Number: 100
Posted on Tuesday, June 05, 2007 - 4:57 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

GO Cadets

Crew

Post Number: 1273
Posted on Tuesday, June 05, 2007 - 4:58 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

My brother's first name is Lindsay. Know him?

There's not a lot of guys with that name.

Newport1128

Post Number: 35
Posted on Tuesday, June 05, 2007 - 6:31 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Crew, I remember Lindsay H. very well. Great guy! Tell him Doug said hello.

Crew

Post Number: 1274
Posted on Wednesday, June 06, 2007 - 12:41 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I sure will. You must know my brother Chris too then.

Newport1128

Post Number: 41
Posted on Wednesday, June 06, 2007 - 6:01 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I knew Chris to see him, but I don't think we had any classes together. I was not a jock, just an "athletic supporter" LOL.

Margaret
Username: Margaret

Post Number: 1
Posted on Thursday, June 07, 2007 - 12:01 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

howdy from Montana! I graduated from St. Ambrose in 1969, like you, "Newport1128"...it's been so long I'm having trouble remembering names, and who was who, duuuuh...I was the first cheerleader in the history of the world to be unpopular, that is my claim to high school fame! or maybe that's just how everyone felt, who knows? do you remember a Margaret in your class? big giggle...and I'm trying to remember Lindsay...it's just been so long since I've thought about any of this. I have lost our yearbook, dang it. do you know of a way for me to get a copy? I would really love to get a copy somehow. I hope to hear from you. Remember the football buses, "We are the Cavaliers" screaming across the city to Hamtramck (sp?)...wow. it was fun being a cheerleader at St. Ambrose cuz the football crowds really screamed and hollered our cheers. I haven't been back to Detroit since 1975. left there right after high school, and this is almost the first time I've even looked back.

Margaret

Post Number: 2
Posted on Thursday, June 07, 2007 - 12:08 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

p.s. oh yessss Sr. Bernard Marie: luckily I was good at English, and her incredible drills mean that I can still, even now, diagram sentences! I must admit, if it weren't for those strict nuns at St. Ambrose I probably would not be the writer I am today. I would love to find Sr. Ann Vincent, the amazing math teacher for the college prep kids. she was so great! I wonder if she's still alive. I would also love to contact a summertime swimming teacher I had at Denby, whose sensitivity and support helped me get over a fear of the water. thanks to her, I have enjoyed swimming and snorkeling and white water rafting, all that stuff that I would have missed. no idea what her name was, and I realize I digress, because she was not at St. Ambrose.

Margaret

Post Number: 3
Posted on Thursday, June 07, 2007 - 12:10 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

p.p.s. Newport1128, I went to classmates.com yesterday and found Mary Sue Driscoll and Louise Sipes and Bev Cooper. remember them? have you been to reunions? I haven't. it's so far, and ... so far. know what I mean?

Conman
Username: Conman

Post Number: 20
Posted on Thursday, June 07, 2007 - 4:04 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I attended St.Ambrose from 69 thru 77. Sister Judy/Ms McCusker was the principle and Frank McCabe was football coach, I'll always have fond memories of my years as a Cavalier, I made my friends, some of who I still see.

Newport1128

Post Number: 42
Posted on Thursday, June 07, 2007 - 5:42 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hey Margaret,
Did your maiden name start with a P ?
I went to one reunion in 1984 (I think). I missed the 20th, but have a booklet from it. I have the 1969 yearbook, and would be willing to send you a photocopy. If you like, you can e-mail me at: jddelaney@wowway.com
Another cheer: "Gimme a ticket for an Ambrose game, aint got time to watch no other game..."

Margaret

Post Number: 4
Posted on Thursday, June 07, 2007 - 6:51 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

yes, it sure does/did, Newport! thanks so much for the offer of the photocopy of the yearbook. I just emailed you. remember my best friend Chris P? and Laurice D? wow, the cheerleader memories are flowing now: that crazy summer of 67, the riot and all, when we could finally practice again (the assembly of the cheerleaders was too many people, would have broken the martial law, amazingly enough)...we would flirt with those National Guard guys who were cruising around in their Jeeps. crazy crazy stuff. so, do you remember Sr. Ann Vincent?

Margaret

Post Number: 5
Posted on Thursday, June 07, 2007 - 6:53 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

hey are you one of the lucky ones who got to hang out in Grosse Point Park? the park we Detroiters couldn't get into!!! that was such a drag, remember that?

Newport1128

Post Number: 45
Posted on Thursday, June 07, 2007 - 7:06 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Margaret,
Yep, I remember Chris and Laurice. You lived on Lakewood near Kercheval, right?
It was weird watching the National Guard jeeps and trucks driving along Jefferson, but no, I didn't flirt with the soldiers. LOL No female "Guardspersons" back then!
I remember Sister Ann Vincent very well. I had her for 9th grade Algebra as well as Chemistry. Those were the years when the nuns went from the full habit to the smaller veil; it was a shock learning that they actually had hair! Do you remember the name of the IHM nun who came over from St. Martin's to teach Physics? Sr. Ann Vincent went to St. Martin's to teach Chemistry.

Karen8824
Username: Karen8824

Post Number: 7
Posted on Friday, June 08, 2007 - 5:39 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

My husband went to St. Ambrose. Last name Raudabaugh

Newport1128

Post Number: 47
Posted on Friday, June 08, 2007 - 6:17 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Margaret,
I e-mailed you twice yesterday after receiving yours. Did you get them? I got one message saying that your Barracuda firewall had blocked at least one of mine. If you're using a computer where you work, sometimes they have firewalls.

Newport1128

Post Number: 48
Posted on Friday, June 08, 2007 - 11:48 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Karen8824, what years did your hubby attend Ambrose? Did he go to the high school, which (I think) closed in 1972, or to the elementary?

Newport1128

Post Number: 50
Posted on Saturday, June 09, 2007 - 1:37 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Does anybody know who the pastors were at St. Ambrose between 1976 and when Fr. Tim Pelc arrived? Fr. VanAntwerp was there until he died in 1964. Fr. Mahoney was acting pastor in 64-65, Msgr. Graven from 65-70, Fr. Heidelberger from 70-76.

Tony_box_42

Post Number: 37
Posted on Saturday, June 09, 2007 - 9:59 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Fr. Pollock sound right ? Did any of you
go to Gino's on Jefferson
after the football games ?
I am a few years older than
you ,it may have been closed
when you came along. They
had cheese pizzas ready after
Friday night games. NO meat on
Friday.

Newport1128

Post Number: 51
Posted on Sunday, June 10, 2007 - 9:24 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Tony_box,
Fr. Robert Poledink. Tall, thin guy with a crew cut, always wore white socks. Yep, I remember Gino's. South side of Jefferson between Chalmers and Lakewood. What years were you at Ambrose?

Irish_mafia
Username: Irish_mafia

Post Number: 922
Posted on Sunday, June 10, 2007 - 9:33 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Newport,

Fathers Bob Rudicelli and Tom Krell were there around '76 to early 80's. Tom put on a number of plays with the St. Ambrose players back in the day.

No longer a priest, I see him at the Friday Fish frys and the St. Vincent de Paul spaghetti dinner now and then.

After Bob and Tom came a great priest named Father Ed. Can't remember his last name, it was Polish. He died of cancer while still presiding over the parish.

I was at his funeral with my father who was a good friend of his.

Karen8824
Username: Karen8824

Post Number: 9
Posted on Wednesday, June 13, 2007 - 6:20 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

newport:
my husband graduated from servite in 79. He only went to the elementary school.