Discuss Detroit » Hall of Fame Threads » The Black Perspective on Detroit » Archive through September 06, 2007 « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Danny
Username: Danny

Post Number: 6467
Posted on Wednesday, September 05, 2007 - 11:21 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

You don't have to be black to learn black culture! Michigan.

Can a white folk learn what's inside a black folk's brain?

Or can a black man learn what's inside a white man's brain?

Black intelligence is different than a white intelligence and the same goes the other.

Those who are black will speak black, play black, act black, and those who are white will speak white, play white and act white.

I have seen white kids who want to be black but they few of them will not be black and I have seen black folks who want to be white, but they few of them will not be white.

Is this new tactic attitude can break racial boundries? Surely it work for few people but not for others depending on their culture.

For me I'M BLACK! I'm a Street Prophet to the Ghettoman who is WHITE and he looks like Clay Aiken. I'm don't try to be like him and I'll never be like him and so is The Ghettoman.

My intelligence is black.

My sympothy is black.

My codespeak is black.

I'm not ashamed of being black.

And I will be black, live black and die black because God made me black.

Gazhekwe
Username: Gazhekwe

Post Number: 332
Posted on Wednesday, September 05, 2007 - 11:22 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Kaptansolo, you have described perfectly the lonely phenomenon of trying to walk in two worlds, and why it is so difficult to even think of assimilation in the rosy terms trumpeted by so many of the people who have not the first clue what it is like. A big cyber hug from another old roads enthusiast. Ever take US 2 or US 24 out west?

Michigan
Username: Michigan

Post Number: 1063
Posted on Wednesday, September 05, 2007 - 11:58 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

IHD- If I misinterpreted your post then I apologize. Re-reading it I see what you are saying. I jumped to that conclusion abd I was wrong to say it.

Danny- Wow, that is perhaps the most blatantly racist post I have seen on DY.
"Black intelligence is different than a white intelligence and the same goes the other." I won't even begin to elaborate on how blatantly racist that is.
"Those who are black will speak black, play black, act black, and those who are white will speak white, play white and act white." No, you are wrong. Those who speak black, play black, act black, chose to do so. Vice versa for white. Unfortunately, many black people do not abide other black people who chose to act differently (Clarence Thomas pilloried as an Uncle Tom). I do not know the reason for this behaviour. I think it is a defensive response to seeing another person similar to oneself succeed in something you were either afraid to do or failed at when attempted.

As far as The Ghettoman and Clay Aiken- I have no idea what the heck you are talking about, and I doubt you really do either.

Swingline
Username: Swingline

Post Number: 888
Posted on Wednesday, September 05, 2007 - 12:47 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Brilliant post Danny. You certainly know that Clay Aiken is a Real Brotha with soul. The Ghettoman has taught him well. Send our regards to the Ghettoman.

Michigan
Username: Michigan

Post Number: 1068
Posted on Wednesday, September 05, 2007 - 3:51 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

susanarosa, Swingline, and danny- what a tool I am, I deserve every thing I get at that other un-named detroit forum.

What a loser I am....

(Message edited by michigan on September 05, 2007)

Oakmangirl
Username: Oakmangirl

Post Number: 271
Posted on Wednesday, September 05, 2007 - 4:09 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Swingline,

Actually, I think Don Cornelius is the genius of soul...

Kaptansolo
Username: Kaptansolo

Post Number: 207
Posted on Wednesday, September 05, 2007 - 5:19 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

No...I do not have children. I was one of the "smart ones". You know...wait until you have the right job making the right money with benefits.
Oh...I forgot...that is how white people do it.
I could write an entire thread on that subject alone.

I was not looking for any sympathy. I'm not feeling sorry for myself at all. I shared it because black people need to know that they have a unique way of putting you down if you aspire to climb and not "keep it real".

By the same token...I think that whites need to know that when you have met all of "their" requirements to properly belong to "American" society, they have a way too of letting you know that they like you because you are not threat...but you are still "just" a black man.

Vetal-I think most "sistahs" that complain about all the good black men are taken by white women...and now any other color other than black...deep down inside they know that if given the chance with most these "black guys" they would find that they themselves are not really interested in him.

I think it is because to reach those "heights" one must assimilate to some degree and I think as a rule...black women sort of frown on the idea. Successful black women play the role a lot better than black men. I think black guys actually start liking things like "skiing". Black women might attend a "function" but it is strictly business. This is definitely something you would have to ask black women.

My perspective on Detroit will always focus on the auto industry. As I stated, when it was the Detroit that the white people on this forum often talk about before they left...Detroit was an industrial giant. Like I said in my post and I think it has probably gotten worse since then...there are children and young adults now who really have no clue what type of manufacturing might the city was known for. They are blamed for all of it's ills and white people act like they do not know black people in Detroit today do not have the money that was there way back when. They talk about it's leaders and they know you have to have money to clean up Detroit's problems.

My Uncle was a porter for "Show" (not sure if this is the right spelling) Chevrolet which was a car dealer long ago (1960's). There was a GM exec that used to have his car serviced there and my uncle would deliver the vehicle to him at the headquarters on the Bivd. The man liked the service and how clean his car was whenever my uncle dropped it off. The man asked him one day was he married and my uncle said yes. He said how much money do you make at the dealership? My uncle said $55 a week. The man's reply was, "you can't start a family on that". He then asked him would like a job at Chevrolet's Gear and axle plant on the eastside and of course my uncle "sure". The man gave him a referral and it changed my uncle's life.

This GM exec was white. Had he been black the results would have been no different.
My uncle raised a son in Rosedale Park. That job at GM made that possible.
Not the power of positive thinking.
Not his standing in church
Not by reading Napolean Hill's "think and grow rich".
I said all of that to say, white people know that Detroit has no money.

I do not think that white people are sitting around at a meeting every other Tuesday figuring out ways to keep black people down.
But they know we are broke...the rims, designer clothes and other "splurge" examples are items that you spend illegal money on. You can live ghetto fabulous but it would be real difficult to wash that cash and open a supermarket. Just my opinion...I could be wrong and I am not making excuses.

(Message edited by Kaptansolo on September 05, 2007)

Perfectgentleman
Username: Perfectgentleman

Post Number: 2265
Posted on Wednesday, September 05, 2007 - 5:36 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Kaptansolo - Your dad made that opportunity happen through his hard work and he continued to prosper through his own effort. He wasn't given something for nothing. His work ethic and values surely played a role in his success.

Some of the young kids in Detroit today are not in a position to capitalize on what opportunities there are out there. If you have a kid you can't afford or drop out of school it puts you in a helluva jam.

Multiply that by several thousand with all of the social ills that goes with it and you end up with an area that people do not want to invest in. Therein starts the downward spiral, less investment, less opportunity, more crime and poverty......

How does it stop? From the bottom up I guess, the kids need it drilled into them to stay in school, don't have kids you don't want and cannot afford, stay away from drugs and crime.

I know what it is like to be broke, I have been there. I could have gone on welfare but my upbringing was such that wasn't an option. I took a crummy job and kept going until something better came along, kind of like your dad. The experience of selling shoes was still valuable as it preserved my work ethic and kept my hope alive.

It is clear that your father's values have been instilled in you, it would be great if all young people had a role model like that which is probably the biggest problem of all.

(Message edited by perfectgentleman on September 05, 2007)

Kaptansolo

Post Number: 208
Posted on Wednesday, September 05, 2007 - 6:20 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yes Gaz,
I have travelled along US. 24 in Colorado. I was planning a trip along U.S. 2 but I would be a little nervous travelling through Montana as a black man. I feel the same way about Howell, MI.

Gazhekwe

Post Number: 337
Posted on Wednesday, September 05, 2007 - 6:27 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

We should form a caravan. It's a great trip. As for US 24, which starts here as Telegraph Road, in the middle of Kansas, you find Nicodemus, the only remaining town started by African Americans after the Civil War. It's still hanging on with a few residents and a nice little museum. That was the most memorable site.

Margaret
Username: Margaret

Post Number: 109
Posted on Wednesday, September 05, 2007 - 6:29 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I live in Montana...I think we get a bum rap on this stuff, Kaptansolo. we have black people here! get on out here and enjoy it! don't believe any of that BS...

Margaret
Username: Margaret

Post Number: 110
Posted on Wednesday, September 05, 2007 - 6:33 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

in fact, Missoula, Montana had a history-making black military unit way back when...of course I cannot remember dates as usual...I am sick of people Montana-bashing, especially when it comes to calling it racist. I think that stuff is actually centered in northern Idaho, yet Montana gets the bad rap. come on out here and see for yourselves, you guys.

Kaptansolo

Post Number: 209
Posted on Wednesday, September 05, 2007 - 7:08 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

ok Margaret, I will come there and see.

I saw a "skinhead" documentary 10 years ago about hate groups in Canada.
I was like..."Canada?!"

The program pointed out on a map that the Northern Idaho, Northern Montana and Southern Saskatchewan and southern Alberta were hot spots for this type of activity. Since I travel alone on road trips and I was considering my next time from Atlantic to the Pacific on my motorcycle across the northern routes and a return through the Canadian Rockies...I thought perhaps I should find another area to explore.

Sorry about that (believing what I saw on television)

Gazhekwe

Post Number: 338
Posted on Wednesday, September 05, 2007 - 7:16 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

You go through lots of Indian country up there, too. Fort Peck, Ft. Belknap, Rocky Boy, Blackfeet...
And the Buffalo Soldier Bicycle Corps was at Missoula, south of US 2 a hundred miles or so.

http://www.ltolman.org/99arch/ 01819ironriders.htm

Kaptansolo

Post Number: 212
Posted on Wednesday, September 05, 2007 - 8:48 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Perfectgentleman-I pointed out the fact that my uncle got the job in the plant not to show that black people have a work ethic...although maybe I should have.
I brought it up to say that the GM exec knew that $55 per week was no money.
...and I watch as they comment on Detroit's ills and they act like they do not know that the money is gone and they start talking about the trash in the yard and the all of the babies and on and on(not saying it is not true) but they also know good and damned well, that black people came from the south to work in the factories. It has never been a question as to whether black people had work ethics.
I am saying that white people knew what kind of life you would be living on $55 per week in the 60's and today they know your house will not be in good repair if you are working at McDonald's.
They know there is no MONEY!!!!
that is my point...

(Message edited by Kaptansolo on September 05, 2007)

English
Username: English

Post Number: 573
Posted on Wednesday, September 05, 2007 - 11:23 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Vetalalumni said:

"It would be interesting to read the views of black females on this topic."

---

Here, I should probably reveal my gender to new forumers (many of whom thought I was male). I'm a 30 year old single black woman working on a Ph.D.

In response to a post about the difficulty of finding a childless black woman: here's US census data for those of us of childbearing age:

86.7% of black girls and women ages 15-19 are childless.
51.1% of black women ages 20-24 are childless.
31.6% of black women ages 25-29 are childless.
23.9% of black women ages 30-34 are childless.
19.7% of black women ages 35-39 are childless.
19.2% of black women ages 40-44 are childless.

Overall, around 40% of the black female population between 15 and 44 are childless. Among educated black career women, childlessness is almost an epidemic. Stats seem to bear this out. Slightly more black women between the ages of 40-44 are childless than any of the other demographic groups (non-Hispanic white, black, Hispanic, Asian Pacific Islander).

So if 40% of the black female population under 45 is childless, that leaves only 60% of black women with children. Of this 60%, around 70% are raising their children alone. The other 30% are married mothers.

KEY POINT--nationwide, only 42% of black women of childbearing age are single mothers. Within this 42%, you have all sorts of situations. Sure, there are "baby mamas", but there are divorced mothers, lesbian mothers, and mothers living with a partner. I would be willing to put $ on this stat declining in the future, for reasons I won't get into here. Suffice it to say that as black women face more obstacles to not only forming marriages, but even dating relationships, there's just less opportunity to procreate.

As for this topic: I've learned that my opinion is very often the "minority report", so I do much more listening than talking these days. Online, and off.

Still, a most interesting thread.

(Message edited by English on September 05, 2007)

English
Username: English

Post Number: 574
Posted on Wednesday, September 05, 2007 - 11:25 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

And because you are forumers, and will think I am making this up, here is the link:

http://www.census.gov/Press-Re lease/www/releases/archives/fe rtility/001491.html

Have a nice day.

Kaptansolo

Post Number: 213
Posted on Wednesday, September 05, 2007 - 11:37 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I was not going to suggest that it was made up.
4 out of 10.

I would really like to know why "we" never run into each other?

Perfectgentleman
Username: Perfectgentleman

Post Number: 2266
Posted on Wednesday, September 05, 2007 - 11:41 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Kaptansolo - I understand it is hard to maintain a house or a neighborhood without money. Although not all areas of low income are in shambles either. But why is there no money? I think if we take a problem and ask ourselves "why?" five times we start to get to root causes.

Handing 100 grand to every poor person in Detroit would help some short term problems, but if you came back in 5 years I bet you would still find certain challenges exist. Until we address the breakdown of the family, illiteracy and crime problems are addressed we are not going to see long term progress.

Detroit_stylin
Username: Detroit_stylin

Post Number: 4871
Posted on Wednesday, September 05, 2007 - 11:46 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

how about the availability of jobs that actually pay a living wage and not wal mart or Mickey D's?

Kaptansolo

Post Number: 214
Posted on Wednesday, September 05, 2007 - 11:48 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

thanks Detroit_stylin'

I was not talking about a one time lump sum of cash

Karl
Username: Karl

Post Number: 9810
Posted on Thursday, September 06, 2007 - 12:01 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

How about bringing that WalMart/McDonald's experience and then use that to move up to jobs that "actually pay a living wage" rather than expecting entitlement to a job/wage one isn't qualified for?

Zulu_warrior
Username: Zulu_warrior

Post Number: 3225
Posted on Thursday, September 06, 2007 - 12:12 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Greetings and Salutations to all...

I will speak on behalf of many older forumers who have posted here throughtout the years...

The Black perspective on Detroit is multifaceted, but that we shall come back to in a moment.

Historically Detroit was the promised land, a place free from the shackels of slavery and jim Crow...a place where a Black man could feed his family with dignity... a place where the notable blacks of the late 19th an early 20th century lived and visited.

The leading intellectual capital of Black America thrived here in the 20th century...It was a place that my grandfather dreamed of and was in awe of in his hey day.

As the auto industry surged, Black Home ownership was the highest in the nation, the accumulation of wealth and personal property was felt by all.

This image of Detroit continued through the civil rights movement.

As the 60's ended, Blacks were interested in political power. While Coleman was the first Black Mayor....Richard Austin nearly defeated Roman Gribbs as Blacks voted near 70% in the general election. Many old timers really feel that he should have one, and that the election was stolen. He was given, they say, the first state wide office as secretary of state as a consolation.

So Coleman wins after the riots, signaling the rise of Black political power...but he was much more. He was the merger of Black politics with Union Politics...and fought as equally hard for working whites in unions.

Thus the expanison of the Black middle class (there had been a Black Middle class since the 1860's in Detroit) took a larger turn. It became broad and wide..so that the 2 income household could be Doctor/Teacher, Auto Worker/City worker or Factory worker/homemaker.

Black education was at high levels as Detroit Grads from many schools went to colleges or the service. It may suprise some here that the highest levels of Blacks in MIchigan's premier universities were in the 1970's.

The beginning of deindustralization in the 1980's, along with the success of the Black College grads saw much of the next generation of Black intelligence locate in other cities, particularly in South (where the bulk of Black Colleges and Universities are) and in the West (with the rise of tech based cities). While many of these people dont live here, they are fervent detroiters in abstentia

The 1990's saw a minor reversal of this trend, with many Detroit College grads, either staying in Detroit for college or returning from time away to live here. Mayor Kilpatrick would be an example.

But the deterioration of the core city due to drugs, organaized crime, and lack of industrial jobs has forced a new trend...the suburbanization of African Americans....so now it is as likely to find African americans living and working in a 10 county area than ever before.

Indeed, there has also been an in-state black migration from Saginaw, Flint, Benton Harbor, Muskegon, Cassopolis (where Dennis Archer is from)...And there is an actual African Migration here, from Ghana, Liberia, Nigeria, and other places on the African Continent.

Lastly, believe it or not, there are still African Americans who migrate here from the South, as it is a place where Black Professionals still can find good work. As Connie Calloway...but I digress.

Lastly...the so-called Black Underclass in Detroit is another white misnomer....what truly exists are multigenerational homes where young folk live with their grand parents, who often own their homes...or there are single mothers who have moderate jobs and are raising kids. The overall income is low, but they are still homes that have some options, even in educational choices as Detroit Public Schools still offer quality educational options.

So the "Black perspective" is really a compilation of views, reflecting the divesity of Black Americans, We are not a monolithic group.

The fallacy of the original question begs this understanding:

Some see Detroit at its worst
Some see Detroit on an upswing
Some find the leadership wonderful
Some despise the leadership
Some will never move
Some have moved
Some want to see more diversity
Some lament the loss of past uniformity.

Nationally Detroit is a beacon of light for Blacks...people have done here what has not been done any where. There are more Black Millionares in Michigan than any other State in the US. Michigan provides more Blacks to Universities than most states. In spite of recent home ownership losses Detroit still has a good deal of Black Home ownership, and still boast a number of millionairs.

Detroit is also a bastion of Black self-determination, with entreprenuerial efforts abounding...thats why we all have our own opinions.

Kaptansolo

Post Number: 215
Posted on Thursday, September 06, 2007 - 12:12 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Damn it!

This is what I am talking about! Perfectgentleman!!!!

This is what I am saying. White people act like they are a part of the book "Uncle Tom's Cabin". There is a character in the book married to a slaveowner who feels that black people do not even have the genetic capability to "love" their own family members as whites and therefore breaking up of their families should be no big deal.

Damn, Damn, Damn...I hope I have read your post incorrectly.
You and I both know what made Detroit..."DETROIT"!!!!! Auto Industry Jobs combined with the U.A.W..

This is not rocket science. It almost sounds like white people are saying...well..."you guys" are black...you don't need to make that much money...hell, you would actually be living like "us" if that happened. I mean you could actually dominate the automotive capital of the world as a people without us...we cannot have any of that.

God forbid you could actually afford to pay child support, buy food, pay all of your taxes, take your pets to the vet instead of having them eat grass, pay your credit cards on time, renovate your homes, give your sons good examples to follow...DO I NEED TO GO FURTHER????????

NO...lump sums of cash do not do these types of things....damn good jobs with benefits do. 30 years on these damn good jobs do this type of stuff!

Nothing leaves Detroit anymore that brings in money on the level that the car did a long time ago. A long time ago when white people were in the city.

In fact...nothing leaves Detroit now. Things come in to take what little bit of money is left...out. Chinese food restaurants, Elias donuts over there on Grand River near Outer Dr.(if it is still there it was owned by a Lebanese couple who lived in Livonia and they were racists)and we were in there on a regular basis spending our money which then paid taxes in Livonia and sent his daughter to a school out there, Grocery stores owned by people who do not live in the city. Nothing in Kingsway or Mammoth that is sold to black people is produced in the city and therefore all of the transactions go in one direction. All of the beauty supply stores are owned for the most part by Koreans and the money spent goes out of our neighborhoods to wherever the hell they live. I have never known any Koreans living in Detroit. but I know where plenty of them make their living.

Jt1
Username: Jt1

Post Number: 9970
Posted on Thursday, September 06, 2007 - 12:13 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

I live in Montana...I think we get a bum rap on this stuff, Kaptansolo. we have black people here! get on out here and enjoy it! don't believe any of that BS...

Before we start getting all teary eyed about the diversity:

Recent census data:

909,453 residents
2,692 were black

Maybe the black people there are just really fast so it seems like there are more.

I am not saying that Montana is racist but it is one hell of a stretch to make any claims of a significant black population. Last I checked less than 3% of the population is not a noticeable population.

Detroit has a much, much larger percentage of white people than Monatan has black. Who would have thunk it?

Jt1

Post Number: 9971
Posted on Thursday, September 06, 2007 - 12:14 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

^^ My bad. Less than 0.3 percent, not 3 percent.

Kaptansolo

Post Number: 216
Posted on Thursday, September 06, 2007 - 12:15 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Welcome Karl...this is all I need now

those Auto Industry jobs that white folks worked in Detroit's heyday did not require any qualifications.

do we really need to break this down to you??????

Jt1

Post Number: 9972
Posted on Thursday, September 06, 2007 - 12:19 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Idaho had a little under 1.3 MM people in 2000, 5456 of whom were black. A much larger (albeit very small) percentage of black people than Montana.

I don't know the differences between Northern and Southern Idaho but there is a larger black population in Idaho than Montana.

Of ocurse percentages don't mean much when looking at a state level. Look no further than Michigan to see a decent sized black population doesn't mean a state, overall, isn't pretty racist.

Lefty2
Username: Lefty2

Post Number: 88
Posted on Thursday, September 06, 2007 - 12:31 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"The Black Perspective on Detroit"
Idaho, Montana...hmmmm

"The 1990's saw a minor reversal of this trend, with many Detroit College grads, either staying in Detroit for college or returning from time away to live here. Mayor Kilpatrick would be an example."
......What a great web blog we have here, very funny

"Damn, Damn, Damn...I hope I have read your post incorrectly. You and I both know what made Detroit..."DETROIT"!!!!! Auto Industry Jobs combined with the U.A.W.."
What made and built Detroit Before the auto industry and Unions?

Kaptansolo

Post Number: 217
Posted on Thursday, September 06, 2007 - 12:49 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

It does not matter...it did not equal the prosperity period of the Auto Industry.

Determined to get away from this fact aren't you?