Discuss Detroit » Hall of Fame Threads » ::: Detroit Schools Mega Thread ::: » Who were your schools named for? » Archive through September 04, 2007 « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Ray1936
Username: Ray1936

Post Number: 1877
Posted on Tuesday, September 04, 2007 - 7:07 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Little article out here in Nevada about today's schoolkids not even being taught who their schools were named after. That was not a problem in the DPS when I attended at all.

Monnier grade school (Schoolcraft and Ward) was named for Peter C. Monnier, an early extensive landholder in the area around 1900, who later donated the parcel of land where the original Monnier School was built. The original was the Monnier Branch Library at Schaefer and Grand River, which was converted to that use when the "new" Monnier was built around 1935.

Mackenzie High School was named for David Mackenzie, educator and early 20th-century president of Wayne University.

And when I went to Dearborn schools during the war, we were taught that our school, William Ford, was named for the father of Henry Ford.

So....who were the people who gave your Detroit area schools their names?

Gazhekwe
Username: Gazhekwe

Post Number: 321
Posted on Tuesday, September 04, 2007 - 7:14 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hey, I went to Mackenzie, too, for my senior year. How about Wayne State University, named for Mad Anthony Wayne, a US Army General "who was instrumental in ridding the area of the red menace. " That was actually engraved on a bronze plaque on a rock in the middle of the Commons when I started there. They recast it for me, but I don't think it is in the same place any more.

He defeated the Indian confederacy led by Blue Jacket at Fallen Timbers, and subsequently negotiated the Treaty of Greenville, 1795.

Hudkina
Username: Hudkina

Post Number: 51
Posted on Tuesday, September 04, 2007 - 7:15 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Trenton High School - named after the city in which it was located...

Ray1936

Post Number: 1881
Posted on Tuesday, September 04, 2007 - 7:18 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Aw, that's too easy, Hudkina! :-)

Goblue
Username: Goblue

Post Number: 318
Posted on Tuesday, September 04, 2007 - 7:22 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Edwin Denby....former Secretary of the Navy....Chistopher Columbus...talk about an easy one!

Craig
Username: Craig

Post Number: 326
Posted on Tuesday, September 04, 2007 - 7:25 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Burt Elementary - Ernie's pal & a collector of pigeons.

Jams
Username: Jams

Post Number: 5978
Posted on Tuesday, September 04, 2007 - 7:40 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

In order of my attendance:

Bennett Elementary - named for George Bennett, President of the School Board in the early 20th Century.

Wilson Jr. High - Named for President Woodrow Wilson.

St. Stephen Lutheran Elementary - named for the first Christian martyr {which always confused me, since the first king of Hungary is also St. Stephen, as I was a 1/2 Hungarian kid in an old German congregation, the 9:30 service was still said in German as late as the middle 60's)

Allen Park H.S. - named after the City, so it is technically named for John Allen, the first white settler and developer of a lumber road, which bears his name to this day.

Another fun thread, BTW, not a single google to look up any of those names. :-)

Dabirch
Username: Dabirch

Post Number: 2383
Posted on Tuesday, September 04, 2007 - 7:51 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

so it is technically named for John Allen, the first white settler

You always have to go and bring race into it...

Jams

Post Number: 5981
Posted on Tuesday, September 04, 2007 - 8:04 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I walked by your abandoned house today and thought how some take sprawl to the extreme.

Buy me a beer next time you're in town.

Dabirch

Post Number: 2384
Posted on Tuesday, September 04, 2007 - 8:10 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Point well made.

However, it is not my house anymore.

Douglasm
Username: Douglasm

Post Number: 928
Posted on Tuesday, September 04, 2007 - 8:17 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Ferndale schools were named after presidents. Roosevelt Elementary and Lincoln (Jr.) High were thus, obvious.

When JFK was killed, I was in 10th grade at Ferndale High, and there was a very strong effort at the time to continue the presidential naming tradition by renaming Ferndale High to honor the 35th president....

Ragtoplover59
Username: Ragtoplover59

Post Number: 118
Posted on Tuesday, September 04, 2007 - 8:22 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Beard Elementary -
http://www.detroit1701.org/Bea rd_Hist.htm

Wilson Jr. High - What Jams said.

Although when I was going to Beard, We were told about the History of our school over 100 yrs before our time, I recall it was a story of a large Farm centered about where the Fleetwood Plant was on Fort St. The Familys name was Beard.
Not quite the same story as told above in the link?

(Message edited by Ragtoplover59 on September 04, 2007)

Jams

Post Number: 5982
Posted on Tuesday, September 04, 2007 - 8:23 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

Point well made

You mean the beer, Right?

Yaktown
Username: Yaktown

Post Number: 217
Posted on Tuesday, September 04, 2007 - 8:27 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

My first elementary was William Thorne in Dearborn Heights. Just googled it and couldn't find out any info on who he was. Most likely an early educator or prominent citizen. We moved to Commerce Twp in 1978 where I attended...Commerce Elementary. Grades 7-8 were spent at Clifford H. Smart and I still have no clue who he is! I graduated from Walled Lake Central, nothing special about that name! My mom went to Cody in Detroit, anyone have info on who he was? I think his name was Frank Cody.

Gazhekwe
Username: Gazhekwe

Post Number: 324
Posted on Tuesday, September 04, 2007 - 8:34 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hubert Elementary in Brightmoor, named for Private Don Sherman Hubert, KIA in France, August 29, 1918. He was the first soldier from Redford to be killed in WWI. The school opened in 1925, and I believe it closed in 2005. I was there when they built the new addition, 1953.

Dabirch

Post Number: 2385
Posted on Tuesday, September 04, 2007 - 8:35 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Certainly - the beer.

BY the way:

Black Elementary - named after some woman named Margaret Black

Melby Junior High - Named after some guy named Ernest O. Melby, I believe

De La Salle - Named after St. John Baptist de La Salle, founder of the Institute of the Brothers of the Christian School, and the Patron Saint of teachers.

Brother Rice -- Named after Brother Edmund Ignatius Rice, founder of the Christian Brothers of Ireland. Interestingly, it looks like this little number got past the screening process at Wikipedia:

quote:

Christian Brother schools around the world continue to follow the system of education and traditions established by Edmund Rice such as brother rice high school in Michigan which is the best school ever

Patrick
Username: Patrick

Post Number: 4896
Posted on Tuesday, September 04, 2007 - 8:35 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Cousino High School: Hmmm, I think Paul Cousino was one of the primary movers for Warren Con. Schools.

Will Carleton Middle School: Carleton was a renowned poet from rural Michigan.

Winstin_o_boogie_iii
Username: Winstin_o_boogie_iii

Post Number: 86
Posted on Tuesday, September 04, 2007 - 8:48 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Isaac Edwin Crary (DPS) founded the public school system of Michigan. St. Mary (of Redford-Detroit Catholic school) was Jesus' mom.

Mackinaw
Username: Mackinaw

Post Number: 3634
Posted on Tuesday, September 04, 2007 - 8:50 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Pere Gabriel Richard...that was a great namesake for one of my childhood schools.

Ericdetfan
Username: Ericdetfan

Post Number: 154
Posted on Tuesday, September 04, 2007 - 8:52 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Elementary: Immanuel Lutheran School. Immanuel is hebrew for "God is with us". Also used as another name for Jesus meant to show a high level of respect. Lutheran is the christian denomination that observes and follows the teachings of Martin Luther. Immanuel Lutheran was also the name of the church that the school was associated with.

I also went to George Washington Carver Elementary in Warrendale.
GWC was a african american pioneer of the early 1900's; most famous for his work with peanuts and education.

I went to Middle and High School at Fairlane Christian, which later became known as Detroit World Outreach Christian Academy.
Fairlane was named after the Church it was associated with (Fairlane Assembly of God). The church changed its name to Detroit World Outreach in 1997 and the School Followed suit in 2002. A lot of things are named after "Fairlane" in the Detroit area; particularly in Dearborn and Dearborn Heights. I could not find any references to the name "Fairlane" other than the Ford Car, though. Assembly of God is a Charismatic christian denomination; most closely related to Pentecostals. Detroit World Outreach is pretty self-explanitory, I would hope.

Ltdave
Username: Ltdave

Post Number: 89
Posted on Tuesday, September 04, 2007 - 8:57 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Roosevelt Elementary (originally built as a junior high) after Theodore Roosevelt...

Washington Junior High after George Washington...

Port Huron High School after the city...

all in port huron of course...

d

Jiminnm
Username: Jiminnm

Post Number: 1395
Posted on Tuesday, September 04, 2007 - 9:01 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Cass Tech I understand, but if anyone knows who A. L. Holmes was, please post it.

You'd think that something like this could be easily posted on the DPS web site - but no. I wonder if anyone at DPS knows.

Jiminnm
Username: Jiminnm

Post Number: 1396
Posted on Tuesday, September 04, 2007 - 9:02 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Ray, my wife graduated from MacKenzie in 1966.

Jams

Post Number: 5983
Posted on Tuesday, September 04, 2007 - 9:02 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Fairlane came from Henry Ford's choice of the name for his final home and estate.

(Message edited by JamS on September 04, 2007)

Ericdetfan
Username: Ericdetfan

Post Number: 155
Posted on Tuesday, September 04, 2007 - 9:10 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

thanks jams..

For someone who did 2 reports on Henry Ford in school I sure feel like an idiot now... lol

(Message edited by ericdetfan on September 04, 2007)

Ray1936

Post Number: 1882
Posted on Tuesday, September 04, 2007 - 9:19 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Jiminnm, she was a dozen years after me. LOL.

I did go to one summer session at Cooley, which I think was named after a Thomas Cooley. I'll have to research that one, have no idea who he be.

Jams

Post Number: 5985
Posted on Tuesday, September 04, 2007 - 9:23 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Michigan Supreme Court Justice off the top of my head.

There is a Law School in Lansing also named after him.

http://www.cooley.edu/overview /tmctheman.htm

Ray1936

Post Number: 1883
Posted on Tuesday, September 04, 2007 - 9:27 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Found Thomas W. Cooley in the 1930 census. He was a physician specializing in pediatrics, and his wife, Abigail, was a Detroit schoolteacher. Thomas was born in 1870 in Michigan, and in 1930 lived at 748 Van Dyke. Had a son, Thomas M., born 1910, and a daughter, Emily, born 1905. A maid also lives in the home.

Kid_dynamite
Username: Kid_dynamite

Post Number: 203
Posted on Tuesday, September 04, 2007 - 9:31 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Ray...look him up on Wikipedia,,,he was the chief justice of the Michigan Supreme court from 1864-1885

Ray1936

Post Number: 1884
Posted on Tuesday, September 04, 2007 - 9:33 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Found Frank Cody in the 1930 census also. In that year he was the Superintendent of the DPS. He also was born in 1870 in Michigan, and he listed as a widower, living with his four children at 725 Burlingame. Two servants are also in the home.