Discuss Detroit » Hall of Fame Threads » :: Car / Homeowners Insurance in the City :: Mega Thread « Previous Next »
This is the Metro Detroit Insurance Mega Thread. New threads may be started here.
Health Insurance crunch(anyone have Healthy Blue Living by Blue Cro...Gannon10 07-12-07  9:48 am
Best Health Insurance In Detroit / MichiganTexorama11 08-23-07  8:36 pm
Any progress on getting rid of insurance redlining?Pjazz17 03-02-06  12:20 am
Good Rates for Auto Insurance in DetroitNip35 03-15-06  5:22 pm
Why is insurance in Detroit so expensive?Michigansheik35 03-13-06  9:48 am
Home Owner's InsuranceSupersport04-06-06  12:16 pm
Car Insurance in DetroitDetroitplanner14 05-20-06  1:40 pm
Our lovely insurance companiesLowell26 05-18-06  12:18 pm
Why car insurance rates are so high in Detroit.Wash_man22 12-23-06  12:16 am
Detroit, Flint insurance could get cheaperThecarl06-28-06  10:51 pm
Car insurance in the DDetroitplanner36 11-21-06  4:26 pm
Home owners insurance in Detroit - RevisitedChuckles17 03-31-07  11:59 am
Insurance rate questionWilus1mj14 04-19-07  10:23 pm
  Start New Thread        

Top of pageBottom of page

Jiscodazz
Username: Jiscodazz

Post Number: 52
Posted on Sunday, September 09, 2007 - 9:23 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hey all. I know this has probably already been touched on before, but what is the best company in Detroit to get both Car and Homeowners Insurance? I'd like to get a "package" deal if possible. Let me know who you recommend. Thanks.

Detroitplanner
Username: Detroitplanner

Post Number: 1410
Posted on Sunday, September 09, 2007 - 9:41 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Geography is only one factor in getting the best rates. I suggest you contact several, get quotes, and compare.

For example, one City dweller may do quite well with AAA while another would not even imagine going with them.

Meaghansdad
Username: Meaghansdad

Post Number: 135
Posted on Sunday, September 09, 2007 - 10:30 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

State Farm is the best,by far. Get the quotes and youll see

Gazhekwe
Username: Gazhekwe

Post Number: 404
Posted on Sunday, September 09, 2007 - 10:51 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I like Amica.

E_hemingway
Username: E_hemingway

Post Number: 1322
Posted on Sunday, September 09, 2007 - 11:06 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Neilr made a recommendation for a AAA agent in downtown a few months ago. This thread has been done a number of times in the past, so do a search for it and see what comes up. Those old threads have a lot of good leads in them.

Lowell
Board Administrator
Username: Lowell

Post Number: 4118
Posted on Monday, September 10, 2007 - 1:31 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

This is a frequent inquiry and important question. We need to create an insurance mega thread for the HOF. Please help out by search / locating any relevant archived threads. We will assemble them here first.

IMO, this is the most critical and cruel economic handicap placed on the CofD and other older cities. With all the problems they deal with, this is like a final slap in the face. "Thanks for taking care of all of or region's the poor, handicapped, homeless, ex-felons and disabled. Now here is your in$urance bill."

Since my solution of a single rate structure for the entire states is probably politically impossible, my latest inclination is that median insurance prices should be determined and tax credits issued for those paying above the median. The revenue should be recovered by taxing the insurance industry.

Charlottepaul
Username: Charlottepaul

Post Number: 1659
Posted on Monday, September 10, 2007 - 7:48 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I think that this is the one E_hemingway:

Thanks CharlottePaul for looking up the insurance threads. I used your links to find and move them all here. I have removed the links in this post as they were broken once I moved the threads here. -- [Forum pat on the back]

Jt1
Username: Jt1

Post Number: 10071
Posted on Monday, September 10, 2007 - 9:25 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Stay away from State Farm and Allstate. Both border on theft

Dannyv
Username: Dannyv

Post Number: 14
Posted on Monday, September 10, 2007 - 12:35 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Look into Safeco for HO and Progressive or AIG for Auto

Pete
Username: Pete

Post Number: 96
Posted on Monday, September 10, 2007 - 12:41 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

By far, of my own research, the best rates for both car and home insurance in the City of Detroit are with USAA. However, you can only get USAA if you are military, retired military or a relative of a member. But if it's available to you, get a quote. You'll be happy.

E_hemingway
Username: E_hemingway

Post Number: 1323
Posted on Monday, September 10, 2007 - 1:52 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

That's it Charlotte Paul. Here's the actual post from Neilr.

quote:

For years I have resented what I believe to be the profoundly unfair rates that I paid for auto insurance simply because I live in the city. Every 5 years or so I would shop around to see if another insurer would offer me lower rates. I was unable to find rates better than MEEMIC, the carrier I've used for several decades. They all seemed equally bad.

Again, the only reason for my high premiums was because I live in the city. I have a clean driving record, live in a good neighborhood, and so on.

Two weeks ago, at the suggestion of a friend and neighbor, I went to the AAA office in the Dime Building (The lobby of the Dime is really lovely; but that's for a different thread.) and spoke to a Ms. Alma Miller. She ran all my info through their computer and came up with a premium of LESS THAN HALF of what I was paying MEEMIC for the same coverage.

When I asked her how she was able to do this, Ms. Miller said that AAA now looks at individual neighborhoods rather than whole zip codes, a person's driving record, claims history, credit score, age category, and other personal factors; rather than just red-lining the entire city. She said that they are doing this now because other insurance companies have come to Michigan and AAA now wants to "cherry pick" the best drivers. Please Note: I'm not quoting Ms. Miller; but that's my best recollection of her explanation.

I called MEEMIC to see if they could beat AAA. They called back the next day with a quote that was close; but it did not match AAA. Two days later I signed up with AAA and wrote MEEMIC a detailed letter expressing my regret at severing our relationship because, other than the red-lining rates issue, I was satisfied with their service.

My suggestion to others who feel that they are paying unfairly high rates is to shop around now. Things may be changing.

An added benefit: the AAA office is right in downtown Detroit in the Dime Building.

65memories
Username: 65memories

Post Number: 461
Posted on Monday, September 10, 2007 - 4:07 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Lowell...I agree with you regarding this being a HOF thread. I followed the leads offered on the old threads last Summer and the best quote was John Cash from State Farm on Grand River and Outer Drive, so I changed both home and car to them.

Paulmcall
Username: Paulmcall

Post Number: 395
Posted on Monday, September 10, 2007 - 4:35 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Just call my old insurance company (from when I lived in Detroit)...Sheitt.
You know who to call when your car gets stolen or your place is broken into? Just call "Sheitt".
I believe their home office is located in Dearborn.

Supersport
Username: Supersport

Post Number: 11674
Posted on Monday, September 10, 2007 - 5:03 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

Stay away from State Farm and Allstate. Both border on theft

Not true at all! State farm was by far the cheapest for both home and auto insurance when I switched policies. In fact, the home insurance was $1,000-$1,500 less than many quotes I got. My auto insurance rates just dropped about $300 a year, something that has NEVER happened when I was insured by other companies.

Tkierpiec
Username: Tkierpiec

Post Number: 54
Posted on Tuesday, September 11, 2007 - 12:52 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I ended up switching from AAA to Geico when I moved to Detroit from Ann Arbor and saw my monthly premium jump from $160 to $500+.