Discuss Detroit » Hall of Fame Threads » Upper Class Black Neighborhood » Archive through September 04, 2007 « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Jt1
Username: Jt1

Post Number: 9920
Posted on Tuesday, September 04, 2007 - 6:35 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

Jeez, I didn't know Southfield had white flight like that. I guess somethings dont change.

Just kind of ignored since there is no mayor or riots to blame it on. The numbers in S'Field are a reflection of much of SE Michigan and are disturbing. Since there is no specific event/person to point blame to it is just ignored.

Bigotry is still alive and well in SE Michigan.

Monahan568
Username: Monahan568

Post Number: 197
Posted on Tuesday, September 04, 2007 - 6:36 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

your right there are no racist black people. also if a majority of the black residents of detroit do not agree with the elected officals then why do they keeping getting into office? i always thought that you vote for the person who best represents how you feel about the issues.

Jt1

Post Number: 9921
Posted on Tuesday, September 04, 2007 - 6:42 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

your right there are no racist black people

I certainly did not say that. You seem to imply that any slight towards you by a black person is due to your color and their color. Not the case. Based upon your demeanor and assumptions here I am sure that you are pure sunshine to deal with.

quote:

also if a majority of the black residents of detroit do not agree with the elected officals then why do they keeping getting into office?

Can we use that same argument about predominately white cities or the country at large? Seems this silly logic is only used to speak about predominately black cities. Why is that?

quote:

i always thought that you vote for the person who best represents how you feel about the issues.

True, and as you can see all politicians live up to their promises/expectations with the exception of primarily black cities.

Many people in Detroit (of all colors, the codespeak black=Detroit is tired) are unhappy with the leadership and are working towards change. In the same vein many did not vote for those who are in office but you conveniently lump them all together.

Should I assume that everyone in the US supports President Bush because he won?

Remember, next time a black person gives you a mean look it is because you're white and nothing else, not due to a bad day, your attitude, other issues, etc. It is all because of your color.

I guess 'those people' all just see me as a little darker since I tend to get treated with respect most, not all, but most of the time. Maybe I'm not as white as you.

Gazhekwe
Username: Gazhekwe

Post Number: 320
Posted on Tuesday, September 04, 2007 - 6:51 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I live in Southfield, and have seen it. The most horrific thing that happened, was hearing that codespeak coming out of a black realtor, telling a black family to move to Farmington instead of Southfield because of the property values and schools. Nothing is surer to have a negative impact on property values than steering, which is illegal.

Monahan568

Post Number: 198
Posted on Tuesday, September 04, 2007 - 6:53 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

is there even the posability that a black person could be racist?
a majority a people in detroit voted for this leadership i never said all and yes we can apply this logic to any city in the world but i thought we were talking about detroit

Patrick
Username: Patrick

Post Number: 4893
Posted on Tuesday, September 04, 2007 - 6:56 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I dont think Palmer Woods is mostly black...or IV. It would be more half and half. Am I wrong?

Crawford
Username: Crawford

Post Number: 117
Posted on Tuesday, September 04, 2007 - 7:03 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Wait a sec., it is not necessarily racist or inaccurate to claim that Southfield has declined. IMO it has declined somewhat. And no, it is not because it is now a black city.

It is a FACT that the schools in Southfield were better in the 1980's. It doesn't mean that the schools are horrible, but they do not have the same number of high achievers as in the past. In the 1960's through 1980's, Southfield schools had many Jewish students, who are often unusually academically oriented and high- achieving. It is not exactly shocking to see that overall academic quality slipped somewhat as they left Southfield.

It is also a FACT that Southfield is a less appealing retail destination than in past years. Let's face it, to most people, Northland Mall is ghetto. As for Tel-Twelve Mall, it no longer exists.

Finally, it is a FACT that Southfield is a less appealing corporate location. Until Chrysler moved to Auburn Hills, that corridor didn't even exist. Many other new exurban office corridors have been established. The office space around Northland is no longer desirable. The Town Center properties are still nice, but most of the Southfield office space looks old and outdated. Rents are generally cheaper than office locations in neighboring communities like Bingham Farms and Farmington Hills.

Crawford
Username: Crawford

Post Number: 118
Posted on Tuesday, September 04, 2007 - 7:07 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Patrick, you are wrong. I think Palmer Woods is even blacker than Detroit as a whole. Nearby nice areas like the University District are well over 90% black. Northwest Detroit is both blacker and more prosperous than Detroit as a whole.

There are almost no white people living in the neighborhoods off of West 6 and 7 Mile Roads, while there are still a few on the East Side, and many whites on the fringes of Southwest and Far West Detroit.

Gistok
Username: Gistok

Post Number: 5267
Posted on Tuesday, September 04, 2007 - 7:14 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Probably one of the best "flourishing" shopping areas in Detroit is on Mack Ave. from Outer Drive to just past Moross (Pointe Plaza). Yes it happens to be across the street from Grosse Pointe, but still it is in Detroit, and it is flourishing. You've got everything from an upscale nursery (Allemon's) to an upscale car wash (Mr. C's) to the mini-mall at Pointe Plaza next to St. John Medical Center. And that's just the north half of the street.

Gazhekwe
Username: Gazhekwe

Post Number: 322
Posted on Tuesday, September 04, 2007 - 7:22 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hmmm, Proposal A doesn't help much, either. Is that a factor in Detroit too? You try to buy a house and the taxes go 'way up from the previous owner, if they have been there for a long time?

Jenniferl
Username: Jenniferl

Post Number: 395
Posted on Tuesday, September 04, 2007 - 8:30 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Crawford,
From what I've seen on my bike rides, Palmer Woods is almost all black. So are Sherwood Forest and the University District. But Green Acres has quite a few white people, enough that I would characterize that neighborhood as "mixed" rather than as "black" or "white."

Terryh
Username: Terryh

Post Number: 479
Posted on Tuesday, September 04, 2007 - 8:40 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Its a great question. For the most part the black upper middle class seems to be in the suburbs, primarily Southfield and Farmington Hills. Upper class blacks tend not to be perceived to be as threatening and scary compared to poor-ghetto blacks.

Jt1

Post Number: 9924
Posted on Tuesday, September 04, 2007 - 8:41 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

is there even the posability that a black person could be racist?

Yes - I believe that with any large population there will be racists and have never said otherwise. I still question your claims that poor little whitey in Detroit is being singled out and treated horribly because of color at business, city hall, etc. It may happen but it is not the norm which you seemed to imply in the past. Maybe your experiences are very different than mine or I am too oblivious to see this massive anti-white sentiment. At BK in a rough neighborhood, sure but you seem to imply that it is a rampant attitude. Again, maybe I get treated better because of my wonderful tan.

quote:

a majority a people in detroit voted for this leadership i never said all and yes we can apply this logic to any city in the world but i thought we were talking about detroit

Re-read the post where you originally made this statement and you will see how ignorant your posts were.

Stryker81
Username: Stryker81

Post Number: 57
Posted on Tuesday, September 04, 2007 - 8:44 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Try this site. It gives the racial makeup of almost every neighborhood in the city.

http://www.detroitrising.com/p rofiles.htm

Terryh

Post Number: 480
Posted on Tuesday, September 04, 2007 - 8:44 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Read the book Black Rage to get some insight into the AA experience. It was written by two black psychologists. Great read; well written; educational.

Jt1

Post Number: 9925
Posted on Tuesday, September 04, 2007 - 8:45 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

Wait a sec., it is not necessarily racist or inaccurate to claim that Southfield has declined. IMO it has declined somewhat. And no, it is not because it is now a black city.

It is a FACT that the schools in Southfield were better in the 1980's. It doesn't mean that the schools are horrible, but they do not have the same number of high achievers as in the past. In the 1960's through 1980's, Southfield schools had many Jewish students, who are often unusually academically oriented and high- achieving. It is not exactly shocking to see that overall academic quality slipped somewhat as they left Southfield.

It is also a FACT that Southfield is a less appealing retail destination than in past years. Let's face it, to most people, Northland Mall is ghetto. As for Tel-Twelve Mall, it no longer exists.

Finally, it is a FACT that Southfield is a less appealing corporate location. Until Chrysler moved to Auburn Hills, that corridor didn't even exist. Many other new exurban office corridors have been established. The office space around Northland is no longer desirable. The Town Center properties are still nice, but most of the Southfield office space looks old and outdated. Rents are generally cheaper than office locations in neighboring communities like Bingham Farms and Farmington Hills.

While I some of what you say may be correct it certainly helps your cause to show facts (like school scores, etc) as opposed to typing FACT. Uppercase doesn't make something a fact.

Terryh

Post Number: 481
Posted on Tuesday, September 04, 2007 - 8:48 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

STRYKER thank you very much. The North end is my favorite neighborhood. I take lots of pics in the area and research the buildings that are left on Oakland Ave. If I move to the area the white population will rise from 2% to 3%.

Stryker81
Username: Stryker81

Post Number: 59
Posted on Tuesday, September 04, 2007 - 8:55 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

lol, Terryh. I always thought that site was kind of cool to see how diverse a neighborhood truly was. Seems to be an accurate source.

Monahan568

Post Number: 199
Posted on Tuesday, September 04, 2007 - 8:57 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I still question your claims that poor little blacky in macomb county is being singled out and treated horribly because of color at business, city hall, etc. It may happen but it is not the norm which you seemed to imply in the past. Maybe your experiences are very different than mine or I am too oblivious to see this massive anti-black sentiment

if i said this people would call me a racist but its ok for you to say. thank you, you have proved my point black people can be racist

Jt1

Post Number: 9926
Posted on Tuesday, September 04, 2007 - 8:58 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Stryker - Cool link. Thanks.

Jt1

Post Number: 9927
Posted on Tuesday, September 04, 2007 - 9:02 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

I still question your claims that poor little blacky in macomb county is being singled out and treated horribly because of color at business, city hall, etc. It may happen but it is not the norm which you seemed to imply in the past. Maybe your experiences are very different than mine or I am too oblivious to see this massive anti-black sentiment

if i said this people would call me a racist but its ok for you to say. thank you, you have proved my point black people can be racist

I am white. You missed the sarcasm with the 'whitey' comment. I think that I stated a few times above that I am white.

So a white person calling you whitey proved that black people are racist.

Sweet logic.

Monahan568

Post Number: 200
Posted on Tuesday, September 04, 2007 - 9:04 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"In the 1960's through 1980's, Southfield schools had many Jewish students, who are often unusually academically oriented and high- achieving. It is not exactly shocking to see that overall academic quality slipped somewhat as they left Southfield".

Jt1

jewish students are ussually high achievers how about other racial groups.

Monahan568

Post Number: 201
Posted on Tuesday, September 04, 2007 - 9:07 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

you still come off as a racist black or white

Jt1

Post Number: 9928
Posted on Tuesday, September 04, 2007 - 9:08 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

"In the 1960's through 1980's, Southfield schools had many Jewish students, who are often unusually academically oriented and high- achieving. It is not exactly shocking to see that overall academic quality slipped somewhat as they left Southfield".

Jt1

jewish students are ussually high achievers how about other racial groups.

I would appreciate numbers and facts otherwise this is a wild claim. My instinct is to believe this but it is a comment with no supportive facts so it is the same as any other claim.

Now beyond that what exactly are you asking?

Jt1

Post Number: 9929
Posted on Tuesday, September 04, 2007 - 9:13 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

you still come off as a racist black or white

more wonderful logic. So am I a white racist that proves that blacks are racist. Gotcha.

The issue I have is that you make a lot of stereotypical claims and seem to play the role of the victim. We live in a very racist region but you appear (and I amy be wrong) to be looking for sympathy because you were treated poorly and it may or may not have been a matter of your color.

The simple fact of the history of this region and this country tends to make me less symapthetic towards someone that makes sweeping generalizations about Detroit's black population then begs for sympathy because someone at city hall treated you less than favorably.

Sorry if my tear ducts aren't working for you. If that makes me racist then so be it. Of course my actions do not represent the black community because, well, I am white.

Oakmangirl
Username: Oakmangirl

Post Number: 268
Posted on Tuesday, September 04, 2007 - 9:13 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Jt1,

Don't let Monahan work you up; he uses that "logic" of black city officials all too often. I don't think one can compare Detroit and Atlanta (other than the sprawl) just because they both share black populations; the cities have entirely different histories, and I would venture a guess that African-American diaspora differs greatly in each city. Maybe you mean why does Atlanta seem to have flourishing upper class neighborhoods, while Detroit subdivisions lag behind?

To make any neighborhood flourish, you need infrastructure like local grocers, florists, pharmacies. Wanna see more upper class whites move to Sherwood? Open a Pottery Barn, they will come.

Monahan568

Post Number: 202
Posted on Tuesday, September 04, 2007 - 9:30 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Jt1
for a white person you sure do have a great insight on the black culture. could it be that your opinions are also "sweeping generalizations about Detroit's black population" ?

Jt1

Post Number: 9934
Posted on Tuesday, September 04, 2007 - 9:35 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

Jt1
for a white person you sure do have a great insight on the black culture. could it be that your opinions are also "sweeping generalizations about Detroit's black population" ?

What sweeping generalizations have I made about the black population?

Jt1

Post Number: 9935
Posted on Tuesday, September 04, 2007 - 9:37 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

for a white person you sure do have a great insight on the black culture

PS - What is the black culture you speak of. If black culture is a generic generalization can you describe both white and black cultures to me since you seem to believe that 'black culture' is a representation of all or most blacks.

You really are shooting yourself in the foot repeatedly.

Monahan568

Post Number: 203
Posted on Tuesday, September 04, 2007 - 9:47 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

your saying that black people don't have racial feeling towards white people how can you make this claim or generalization if your white. let me guess the guy in the loft next to you is black and you sometimes get his copy of ebony