Discuss Detroit » Hall of Fame Threads » Whistleblower Law Suit - Verdict Announced » Archive through September 11, 2007 « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Royce
Username: Royce

Post Number: 2368
Posted on Thursday, August 30, 2007 - 12:21 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Former Officer Brown clearly has a case for wrongful termination when Christine Beatty admits in court that she based the firing of Brown on an anonymous letter which she shedded.

Gistok
Username: Gistok

Post Number: 5240
Posted on Thursday, August 30, 2007 - 1:39 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Correction Royce... "wrongful demotion". He never lost his job, he was just demoted, and then quit. But either way I agree, he does have a case for compensation.

Southwestmap
Username: Southwestmap

Post Number: 894
Posted on Thursday, August 30, 2007 - 9:15 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Brown addressed just this point in very moving testimony: he said (something like) "When they take your badge, your weapon, your office and car keys and they pile your effects in a box - they have fired you." I very much doubt that he later said the words "I quit" - he thought he had been fired and nobody said otherwise.

Thejesus
Username: Thejesus

Post Number: 2061
Posted on Tuesday, September 11, 2007 - 1:21 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The jury has the case now...Plaintiffs asking for $6.5 million

Leland_palmer
Username: Leland_palmer

Post Number: 369
Posted on Tuesday, September 11, 2007 - 1:43 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"Jury finds Kilpatrick, city guilty and awards $7 million to former police officers"

Kenp
Username: Kenp

Post Number: 789
Posted on Tuesday, September 11, 2007 - 1:46 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Guilty
WWJ just reported
1.5 million for the cop, 1.3 million for the body guard

Thejesus

Post Number: 2064
Posted on Tuesday, September 11, 2007 - 1:46 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

^is that a prediction or did you hear some breaking news?

Chris_rohn
Username: Chris_rohn

Post Number: 333
Posted on Tuesday, September 11, 2007 - 1:50 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

* Freep.com
* »
* News
* »
* Detroit

Jury rules against Mayor Kilpatrick

September 11, 2007

By M.L. ELRICK

FREE PRESS STAFF WRITER

UPDATED AT 1:30 P.M.

A jury has returned a unanimous verdict against Mayor Kwame Kilpatrick and the city of Detroit in the civil lawsuit filed by former Deputy Police Chief Gary Brown and former mayoral bodyguard Harold Nelthrope.

The jury has awarded $3.6 million to Brown and Nelthrope received $2.9 million.

Thejesus

Post Number: 2067
Posted on Tuesday, September 11, 2007 - 2:05 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I bet they started jumping around like they just won the lottery...

getting fired was probably the best thing that ever happened to them...I bet they wouldn't trade it back...and the money, or course...for the world...

and Detroit's tradition of electing public officials whose conduct ends up costing the city million in fines and lawsuits continues...

(Message edited by thejesus on September 11, 2007)

Susanarosa
Username: Susanarosa

Post Number: 1666
Posted on Tuesday, September 11, 2007 - 2:08 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Damn... that's cold.

Gannon
Username: Gannon

Post Number: 10089
Posted on Tuesday, September 11, 2007 - 2:15 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The officer that testified quoting his superior saying amoeba was smarter than them for investigating the Big Diamond is an older brother of a friend...and I've crossed paths with him a few times since this whole thing started.

He's the fellow who was transferred at least eleven times these past couple years.

He spoke highly of both Brown and Nelthrope, what you say theJesus is disparaging to these modern heroes.

You think either of them can stop worrying when the backlash will occur from this administration's shadowy dirty works squad?!

Of course, they will have to wait through the appeals process to get their settlements...

Gannon

Post Number: 10090
Posted on Tuesday, September 11, 2007 - 2:16 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

You merely sound jealous, though.

Thejesus

Post Number: 2068
Posted on Tuesday, September 11, 2007 - 2:19 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

nothing disparaging about it...and I stand by my statement...

If want to state that you honestly believe these guys would rather have not gotten fired than have just been awarded a few million dollars a piece, be my guest...but I doubt anyone would take you seriously...

65memories
Username: 65memories

Post Number: 462
Posted on Tuesday, September 11, 2007 - 2:20 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yay for Brown and Nelthrope!!!

Thejesus

Post Number: 2070
Posted on Tuesday, September 11, 2007 - 2:23 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"You merely sound jealous, though."

Sure. I'd like to have millions of dollars too.

That doesn't change the fact that I think this damage award was terribly excessive given the circumstances...

Damage awards are supposed to make the injured party whole again...my feeling is that this award made them whole again, and then some, hence my statement that they wouldn't trade being fired for the world...

I'm just not a big fan of excessive punitive damage awards

(Message edited by thejesus on September 11, 2007)

Diehard
Username: Diehard

Post Number: 121
Posted on Tuesday, September 11, 2007 - 2:24 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Well, I'm sure in retrospect they're glad they're not working under King Kwame's rule anymore. From what those guys went through, it sounds like they've earned every penny of it.
Think they'll ever get a check or it'll be appealed and tied up in court until they die?

Digitalvision
Username: Digitalvision

Post Number: 354
Posted on Tuesday, September 11, 2007 - 2:28 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Well, as the city is self-insured, there goes a few more city workers' jobs.

It's a travesty that the city is in such shambles organizationally that it doesn't get insurance from someone to handle these kinds of liability issues, and the money ends up coming from the general fund.

The city doesn't even have a risk management office - which is insane in a billion-dollar plus a year organization.

Considering political memory is short in this town, everyone's going to be fine and this won't have lasting impact.

The only one who's really going to be left holding the bag is Detroit taxpayers, which is a shame.

Gnome
Username: Gnome

Post Number: 60
Posted on Tuesday, September 11, 2007 - 2:33 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The city will be required to pay 4% interest on the 6.5 million per annum during Appeal. or $260,000 a year if my calculator is working.

Thejesus

Post Number: 2072
Posted on Tuesday, September 11, 2007 - 2:34 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"The only one who's really going to be left holding the bag is Detroit taxpayers, which is a shame."

No, it isn't. If they elected him, then it's their fault. And if they reelect him, then all they're doing is sending a message to their other elected officials that they will tolerate this type of conduct...

Gannon

Post Number: 10094
Posted on Tuesday, September 11, 2007 - 2:34 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

After 20 years, what would the average annual pay be for a career officer?

How much time until they retire?

What price for the stress and ill health caused by the extreme duress brought down by the administration (and all of the Kilpatrick/McNamara economic/political machine) over this issue?

And...don't forget a third goes to the attorneys. Or is that only in malpractice contingency cases? I'm sure they would find a way to multitaskingly nickel and dime that bill right up to the settlement's limits if they could! I've never met an attorney that didn't have an instinct to find the bottom of even the deepest pockets.

So, if they end up with about a million or so apiece, assuming something like $85k per year after such long service (probably dreaming on that one)...it is about ten years worth of salary.

That might make them whole...and help reverse the last few years and the rest of their lives of looking over their shoulders.

Remember, the accusations of marital disharmony finally came out in trial testimony...they were lucky to get Carlita excused from testifying.

Gnome

Post Number: 61
Posted on Tuesday, September 11, 2007 - 2:37 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

A unanimous verdict delivered by an almost all-white jury.

Everybody hold on to your hats while the word "lynching" starts getting thrown around like grapes at school board meeting.

Gannon

Post Number: 10095
Posted on Tuesday, September 11, 2007 - 2:38 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I take that back, I do know a few attorneys without that instinct. They are a rarity, it seems.

Danny
Username: Danny

Post Number: 6492
Posted on Tuesday, September 11, 2007 - 2:41 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

This case could effect KING KWAME'S political career. It's time for him to grow up and get real. Nobody want's a political figure who parties a lot.

The party's over KING KWAME its time to clean up your mess.

Digitalvision
Username: Digitalvision

Post Number: 355
Posted on Tuesday, September 11, 2007 - 3:01 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Really, is it all the taxpayers of Detroit's fault? What about the business owners who pay taxes in Detroit? Is it their fault, too?

What about the 40%+ who didn't vote for Kwame? Do they deserve to be labeled that it's "their" fault?

It's the administration's fault. Now, some might say it's the responsibility of the electorate to respond to that. Methinks, though, as the jury was almost all white, there won't be much repercussion within the city. I think many will make a case that Kilpatrick was framed, or fell victim to a suburban jury - and having worked in politics a bit in the city, that will play over VERY well with the majority electorate that does not post on this board.

Gannon makes valid points above - it really isn't THAT much, considering - but what would be smart is if they took that chunk of money, used it as seed to invest, and lived off the interest. It is always easiest to make money when you already have money.

Buyamerican
Username: Buyamerican

Post Number: 167
Posted on Tuesday, September 11, 2007 - 3:07 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Appeals will go on for years...unfortunately,Brown and Nelthrope will probably never see a dime any time soon.
The City of Detroit taxpayers are the biggest losers, but, of course, they elected King Kwame in the first place. I also don't believe that this experience (along with the Red Navigator) will humble Kwame in the least.

Detroitnerd
Username: Detroitnerd

Post Number: 1369
Posted on Tuesday, September 11, 2007 - 3:45 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Anybody see the press conference?.

Gnome

Post Number: 62
Posted on Tuesday, September 11, 2007 - 3:55 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Seems to me the City Council approved a $250,000 dollar settlement, but that agreement was rejected by the Mayor's Office.

Buyamerican
Username: Buyamerican

Post Number: 168
Posted on Tuesday, September 11, 2007 - 3:55 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yes, I just watched the press conference and it went exactly as I thought it would. King Kwame more or less saying that the jury, all but one from different areas in Wayne County (not Detroit specifically) was totally wrong, didn't listen to the testimony, and not representative of the "citizens of Detroit". It is going to end up a racial issue, even though the trial didn't involve race, simply because the jury was majority white. He did mention the one member of the jury who was from Detroit, she is an EMS technician who works for the City....if they polled the jury and she voted against the Mayor and the City, I don't envy her and what she may have to endure when she goes back to work with King Kwame as her boss.

Detroitnerd
Username: Detroitnerd

Post Number: 1370
Posted on Tuesday, September 11, 2007 - 4:02 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Haha. No kidding. Last time I checked, EMS was headed by a political crony, part of K's "transition team."

Re: The juror, I hope they try to make it tough on her, because it seems to pay handsomely.

Gannon

Post Number: 10096
Posted on Tuesday, September 11, 2007 - 4:08 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'll be extra nice to all the female EMS people I see around the maintenance facility at 1400 Erskine!