Discuss Detroit » Hall of Fame Threads » Whistleblower Law Suit - Verdict Announced » Archive through September 12, 2007 « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Bratt
Username: Bratt

Post Number: 633
Posted on Tuesday, September 11, 2007 - 5:39 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The point is...the party happened. I would say that 35% or more of Detroit knows something about that party. If I was Kwame, I wouldn't appeal anything. Many, many people know. If someone did a real investigation, someone will eventually speak. He needs to leave it alone and walk away. You can't keep half the city quiet forever.

Kwame is well known for having many women all over the city of Detroit. He doesn't even hide it. It really is no secret. He even tried to hit on my friend. I told her to run as fast as she could or she might wind up dead. So for him to get up there and act like he is an angel...just made him look like an idiot. Who really cared what color the jury was? His reputation took him down. I guess he wanted the jury to be made up with a bunch of thugs just like him.

Sorry, but I don't know much about the judicial system....I didn't know you could appeal a jury decision. Does that mean another jury and another trial? In what court? Please don't call me in for jury duty..I don't think I could stomach looking at him and hearing all of his lies.

Buyamerican
Username: Buyamerican

Post Number: 169
Posted on Tuesday, September 11, 2007 - 6:05 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

As far as King Kwame's opinion of the jurors not representing "the citizens of Detroit", there is a process called voir dire in the courtroom before the jury is picked. It means:
""To speak the truth". In court, it refers to a process of determining whether a juror can serve fairly and impartially in a given case by asking the juror various questions. These questions are designed to let the court learn whether a juror has prior knowledge of the case, is related to or employed by one of the parties in the case, and whether the juror has prejudices and opinions which would make it impossible for him/her to make an impartial decision in the case."
Both the plaintiff and the defense have an opportunity to either keep or dismiss a prospective juror before the trial starts.
Obviously the defense felt the jurors could be fair in determining the case...so now who can they blame when things didn't go their way?

Livernoisyard
Username: Livernoisyard

Post Number: 3909
Posted on Tuesday, September 11, 2007 - 6:18 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

I guess he wanted the jury to be made up with a bunch of thugs just like him.

Otherwise known as a jury of his peers...

In that strict sense, he got screwed.

Rjk
Username: Rjk

Post Number: 843
Posted on Tuesday, September 11, 2007 - 6:21 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"Everybody hold on to your hats while the word "lynching" starts getting thrown around like grapes at school board meeting."

Nice one. The grape reset always delivers.

Diehard
Username: Diehard

Post Number: 124
Posted on Tuesday, September 11, 2007 - 6:59 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

BuyAmerican -
Glad you brought that up. It's hard to play the "racist Jim Crow jury" card when Kwame's lawyers could have done a lot more to get one that was more diverse.

Gnome
Username: Gnome

Post Number: 63
Posted on Tuesday, September 11, 2007 - 7:09 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Kwame's lawyers had 6 pre-emptory challenges that they didn't use. They got the jury they wanted.

I suspect that Kwame's lawyers knew they'd lose in the court room, but could win in the court of public opinion if they could point to an "all suburban" jury as being the reason for their impending loss.

Kwame, Adolph Mongo, Wayne County Circuit Judge Deborah Thomas are all pointing to the racial make-up of the jury as the reason Kwame lost.

Ravine
Username: Ravine

Post Number: 1300
Posted on Tuesday, September 11, 2007 - 7:24 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'm not trying to jump on Bratt, with this comment, but the assertion which leads off Bratt's post #633 is bullshit. The estimated 35% which Bratt alleges "knows something about that party" is, I suspect, almost 100% comprised of people who have never set foot in the site of the alleged party. I am not taking sides, here; I don't even like Kwame Kilpatrick. At any rate, one thing that I know, for sure, about Detroiters is that they love to act like they know about all kinds of stuff that, in reality, they don't know a goddamned thing about. Most of the folks who are the quickest to spew the most vehement opinions are half-wits who get all of their "information" from television, supermarket tabloids, and other barely-literate cretins like themselves.

Livernoisyard

Post Number: 3911
Posted on Tuesday, September 11, 2007 - 7:29 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The last KK interview that I heard was all sour grapes, and he bitched about not having to pay the lawsuit. The accrued interest on the $6.5 million is already $1.4 million and climbing. What a loser in more ways than one!

Dabirch
Username: Dabirch

Post Number: 2392
Posted on Tuesday, September 11, 2007 - 7:35 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

In a private sector wrongful termination suit, a company's Errors & Omissions policy would typically cover many types of executive misconduct.

Would not the city have a similar type of policy?

Angry_dad
Username: Angry_dad

Post Number: 162
Posted on Tuesday, September 11, 2007 - 7:38 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Kwame lost this case when he restricted his time on the stand.

Anybody that is in the "right" will go the distance.

3rdworldcity
Username: 3rdworldcity

Post Number: 908
Posted on Tuesday, September 11, 2007 - 7:51 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The City Law Dept did not represent the City. An outside firm with close ties to the Mayor handled the case, probably at a cost of close to $500 grand. One wonders if the City's Law Dept had any input at all. If so, I'll bet that they would have insisted that the City settle the case a long time ago. KK was on a personal ego trip fighting this case and exposed the City to exactly what it got tagged for. The chances of a successful appeal are zip and none; lawyers on the forum, correct?

Bratt

Post Number: 634
Posted on Tuesday, September 11, 2007 - 7:55 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Ravine....nice post...NOT!

I really don't want to say too much because I don't know who reads these posts. And if you didn't want to jump on my post...you would not have used the word "bullshit" and used such angry words.

Maybe the party didn't happen...but tell me why I received a phone call at 3 in the damn morning the same night it happened telling me all about it from someone who was there. I'd rather be sleeping than getting phone calls about the mayor at 3 in the damn morning. I could give two shits that time in the morning.

PS Ravine...you really shouldn't take the Lord's name in vain!

Paulmcall
Username: Paulmcall

Post Number: 398
Posted on Tuesday, September 11, 2007 - 8:02 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The city will be getting the screwing in this thing.
Tax payers start wailing and gnashing your teeth.

Ltdave
Username: Ltdave

Post Number: 90
Posted on Tuesday, September 11, 2007 - 8:41 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

thanks ya loser...

i live 60 miles or more away but i get the 'priviledge' of driving all of 1/4 mile south of 8 mile and pay city income taxes...

i guess theyll be using some of the money im due back (from 2005, 2006 and 2007) to help pay this...

i think there is a reason why the DPD call Hizzonner "KING SILVERBACK"

d

Digitalvision
Username: Digitalvision

Post Number: 356
Posted on Tuesday, September 11, 2007 - 8:42 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Dabirch,

It is my understanding that the city government is basically uninsurable due to it's extremely poor business and risk management practices, and so therefore is "self-insured" meaning it pays for the numerous lawsuits that they usually just settle out of court out of their own pocket, from sidewalk crack falls to this kind of thing.

That was not Kwame's doing, I believe it's been the case for a long time.

ltDave - wow. Nice racist reference. You come here from the freep.com forums? That kind of thing is not what is needed.

(Message edited by digitalvision on September 11, 2007)

Livernoisyard

Post Number: 3913
Posted on Tuesday, September 11, 2007 - 8:43 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Channel 7 poll: 8:30 PM
quote:

Do you agree with the verdict in the whistleblower lawsuit?
yes 95%
no 5%

56packman
Username: 56packman

Post Number: 1735
Posted on Tuesday, September 11, 2007 - 9:00 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Party at the Manoogian? no way, didn't happen.

4343 Leslie?

what about the party going to mayors quarters at a downtown institution until officials of that institution asked that the party go someplace else, after 24 hours of partying.

The above may have no foundation in truth.
Or....................

Gnome

Post Number: 64
Posted on Tuesday, September 11, 2007 - 9:03 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Bratt:
Hmmm, 35% of the city has first-hand knowledge of the party at the Boogian Mansion? Let's work on that a minute...
35% of 850,000 citizens equals 297,500 people.

Wow, that must have been one wild party.

Gannon
Username: Gannon

Post Number: 10101
Posted on Tuesday, September 11, 2007 - 11:14 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Gnome,

Don't put words into Bratt's mouth.

She never said firsthand.

But you already know that...especially if you're onto the current population count in the city.

Gnome

Post Number: 65
Posted on Wednesday, September 12, 2007 - 6:42 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Gannon-

I stand corrected.

Gannon

Post Number: 10113
Posted on Wednesday, September 12, 2007 - 7:08 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Gnome,

I wouldn't have stepped in if it were for a total stranger, Bratt turned tangible a few picnics ago and I've come to know a bit of her character from her posts here.

She seems to not speak up until she has something substantial to say...unlike some 10k posters around here. Ahem.

But I WAS going to tease her about that 35% figure...I'm pretty sure it is much closer to 33.333%. Such is the power of the word-of-mouth in the world's biggest small town!

Cheers.

Rjk
Username: Rjk

Post Number: 844
Posted on Wednesday, September 12, 2007 - 7:57 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Stephen Henderson has a nice column in the Freep this morning (Mayor's reaction only fuels distrust of system) about what KK should have said yesterday as opposed to what he said. It makes me wonder if KK wasn't happy about only having one Detroiter on the jury, giving him the opportunity to play the race card if he lost. Especially when it appears that he really didn't have much of a defense against the charges. The testimony of the "Do you know who the F I am" woman involving the anonymous tip was ridiculous.

Gnome

Post Number: 66
Posted on Wednesday, September 12, 2007 - 8:15 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Bratt:

Please accept my apology for mischaracterizing your post.

The thought of a party with 297,500 people made me laugh, especially since it was a semi-secret.

I will try to be a better DY in the future.

Gannon

Post Number: 10119
Posted on Wednesday, September 12, 2007 - 8:19 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

It WAS funny...you can just see a few of the overflow forced to fall off the back of the boathouse into the river...calling out, "don't you know who the fuck I am?"!

Bratt

Post Number: 638
Posted on Wednesday, September 12, 2007 - 9:01 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thanks Gannon.

What's really sad too about this whole thing is even Carlita's family goes around talking about what happened that night at the mansion. It's just really surprising that no one has stepped up by now...strange how so many people can keep things quiet.

Sort of like what happens every day around the country...someone gets shot..no one saw a thing.

But like I always say...the truth will come out in the end.

Gannon

Post Number: 10124
Posted on Wednesday, September 12, 2007 - 9:15 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Any and every time, Bratt.

If this were Europe, she'd have been able to claim Passion with the Louisville slugger. I can understand the boasting within her family, she defended her family against temptation of dalliances by her man...that can be seen as honorable in some traditions.

The tracking down of the second unfortunate dancer is a-whole-nother story...as is the cover-up...and the costs to the city population.

Gnome

Post Number: 67
Posted on Wednesday, September 12, 2007 - 10:11 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

WDET has Mike Stefani on the air to discuss the racial make-up of the jury.

Livernoisyard

Post Number: 3927
Posted on Wednesday, September 12, 2007 - 10:24 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Seriously, the defense must have thought that the jury was OK going in because they still had six unused peremptory challenges. It's very difficult getting qualified blacks to sit on juries almost everywhere, especially in areas such as Detroit.

Besides, this wasn't a trial concerning racial relations anyway. And the decision was a no-brainer verdict for the plaintiffs due to the near record time (a bit over two hours) in deliberations.

Gotta love it though when racists want integration in general but want segregation when they themselves are on trial.

Southwestmap
Username: Southwestmap

Post Number: 903
Posted on Wednesday, September 12, 2007 - 10:51 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I thought McCargo seriously misread the jury when he delivered his closing comments - not the sign of a good attorney.

A white suburban jury is unlikely to connect with words like "righteous" and phrases like: "give him his resurrection." Such cadences and references would seem to be more at home with a Black church-going audience and subtle reminders of a pastor's opinion - not likely to sway the jury that was sitting there.

Dabirch
Username: Dabirch

Post Number: 2393
Posted on Wednesday, September 12, 2007 - 11:17 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thanks digitalvision. Makes sense to me.