Discuss Detroit » Hall of Fame Threads » Slumpy is Dead « Previous Next »
Archive through September 16, 2007Mauser76530 09-16-07  2:51 pm
Archive through September 18, 2007Rb33630 09-18-07  8:38 am
  ClosedNew threads cannot be started on this page. The threads above are previous posts made to this thread.        

Top of pageBottom of page

Rsa
Username: Rsa

Post Number: 1270
Posted on Tuesday, September 18, 2007 - 9:55 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

actually, demolition approval was never granted by the historic district commission for the madison lenox. they were circumvented by the city (cough, working for ilitch). thus, technically, it was done illegally.

Quozl
Username: Quozl

Post Number: 1443
Posted on Tuesday, September 18, 2007 - 9:58 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

Nobody is really surprised, right? I mean, once ol' Slumpmeister's face fell off, nobody still thought it was going to be restored, right?

I was not surprised at all JL, but then again, not all people possess my highly efficient deductive reasoning.

I laughed when I read this thread title on Saturday because the way I viewed the decay and neglect of the Livingston Mansion, Ole Slumpy died 15+ years ago, he just was not cremated yet. It is simply amazing that more people care about the demise of this old relic than the countless innocent victims of gunplay in Detroit.

Margaret
Username: Margaret

Post Number: 150
Posted on Tuesday, September 18, 2007 - 1:21 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote: When was the last time you were in Detroit?

Pam, I was basing that comment on the ruins photo tour I took on this site. all of those old buildings...including J.L. Hudson's. and as I have said, my own beautiful childhood home ended up trashed and torn down. absolutely incredible, that! so, that's what I was referring to.

Raggedclaws
Username: Raggedclaws

Post Number: 50
Posted on Tuesday, September 18, 2007 - 1:28 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"...simply amazing..."

Sport ??? Is that you ??

So, Q...was it your highly effective deductive reasoning that led you to make that statement about what the posters on this thread care about or something else ?

Just wonderin'

Pam
Username: Pam

Post Number: 2639
Posted on Tuesday, September 18, 2007 - 1:34 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

Pam, I was basing that comment on the ruins photo tour I took on this site.

Look under Tour Detroit again. Lowell has added pictures of improvements. Or come back for a visit sometime and see for yourself.

Quozl

Post Number: 1451
Posted on Tuesday, September 18, 2007 - 1:36 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

No ragged, my dreadlocks were weaved too tight this morning. Sorta like a blonde moment, only better...

Jelk
Username: Jelk

Post Number: 4599
Posted on Tuesday, September 18, 2007 - 1:43 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

shame on Detroit for wasting such a gorgeous old building. waste not want not, so watch out...RIP, Slumpy, and thanks, DetroitFunk. how do these things happen? I have a real interest in understanding, since my own childhood home, a beautiful house that was built in the 20s in the far east side, somehow ended up getting trashed and then torn down. this makes me sick!

It's very simple actually you and your family moved away from your childhood home to a new house somewhere else. The metro Detroit population stagnated and the newer homes you and yours (and mine) moved to were more popular than the old homes you and yours (and mine) moved from. Cause meet effect. Effect this is cause.

Rhymeswithrawk
Username: Rhymeswithrawk

Post Number: 902
Posted on Thursday, September 20, 2007 - 6:24 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

It was inevitable. And while it is sad, it's for the best. A strange analogy, but it's like pulling the plug on a brain-dead loved one, ya know? Slumpy existed, but it was dead. There was no hope for it once it was moved. Better to let her go. Not to mention she was dragging down a relatively nice block in Brush Park.
I'd like the owner shot, though. Who the hell was hired for this relocation? And why even bother to pay for such a move if you're not going to save the building - or at least give it a stable foundation? It could not have been cheap to move it.

Livernoisyard
Username: Livernoisyard

Post Number: 3996
Posted on Thursday, September 20, 2007 - 6:51 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

How did the Red Cross acquire the property in the first place? Wasn't there anybody available to purchase and rehab it before the Red Cross?

Kathinozarks
Username: Kathinozarks

Post Number: 869
Posted on Thursday, September 20, 2007 - 7:22 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

So, only one person called Chris C. claimed that he is the great grandson of Mr. Livingstone. It seems wierd that there are no living relatives who would have been interested.

My children would know their great grandmother's home (if I had children), and her home was just a little brick bungalow on Eastburn (still looking good). Where did these people go?

Livernoisyard

Post Number: 3998
Posted on Thursday, September 20, 2007 - 7:32 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

It seems as if plenty of Detroit's business founders and their families left the city or the area entirely. Maybe they didn't feel liked or wanted?

The Great Depression made paupers out of many too.

Cman710
Username: Cman710

Post Number: 371
Posted on Thursday, September 20, 2007 - 10:17 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Given that this house was so significant (and large), you would think that back when the house was moved, there were some pictures in the paper, or video clips from the local news. I wonder if anyone can turn any of that up. Since I am many miles away, I unfortunately cannot search for them.

Gingellgirl
Username: Gingellgirl

Post Number: 58
Posted on Friday, September 21, 2007 - 9:35 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Lowell -
What a beautiful painting of Slumpy! You brought tears to my eyes. Bravo!

Johnlodge
Username: Johnlodge

Post Number: 2639
Posted on Friday, September 21, 2007 - 11:35 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

WOW Lowell! That painting is fantastic! I am way impressed!

Ray1936
Username: Ray1936

Post Number: 1963
Posted on Friday, September 21, 2007 - 12:56 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

My two paternal great grandparents lived in Wichita in the late 1800s. Thanks to city directories on line, I discovered their addresses in that city. Finally, in 1999, I drove to Wichita in hopes of seeing their homes.

One location is a parking lot, the other is a condo complex c. 1970.

Did find their gravesites, though, so not all was lost.

Grosseile
Username: Grosseile

Post Number: 11
Posted on Friday, September 21, 2007 - 2:18 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Lowell:
Your painting of the Livingstone house is great!! Although the house has been demolished, your painting captures an earlier era and better time in Detroit. Beautiful job.

Sturge
Username: Sturge

Post Number: 111
Posted on Friday, September 21, 2007 - 2:20 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

What's the possibilities of someone building a replica of the place? Or would it just not be the same?

Margaret
Username: Margaret

Post Number: 168
Posted on Friday, September 21, 2007 - 2:35 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Kudos to Lowell for a masterful job at capturing that house's essence. wonderful work! and thanks for sharing it, too.

Livernoisyard

Post Number: 4006
Posted on Friday, September 21, 2007 - 2:42 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Why not tear down the Red Cross buildings first and restore the house at its former location?

Jt1
Username: Jt1

Post Number: 10203
Posted on Friday, September 21, 2007 - 2:51 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

What's the possibilities of someone building a replica of the place? Or would it just not be the same?

That would be pretty amazing. I would hope that a replica would be a true replica and not a shell with a complete different inside. The obvious question would be cost.

Anyone in the construction industry have a +/- 25% idea of how much it would cost.

Patrick
Username: Patrick

Post Number: 4953
Posted on Friday, September 21, 2007 - 3:13 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

There are only a handful of architects out there who could take on such a job. That being said, the Livingstone house would be much easier to replicate than let's say the Lem Bowen's Tudor style, which was lost prior to WW2. The front of Slumpy is where the majority of detailed work is located. That would be the trickiest part I suppose.

Wagnis
Username: Wagnis

Post Number: 1
Posted on Friday, September 21, 2007 - 4:53 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

does anyone know what happened to the rubble? I'd like to have a piece of Old Slumpy.

Catman_dude
Username: Catman_dude

Post Number: 222
Posted on Friday, September 21, 2007 - 8:58 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Quozl, he's probably gonna sell them on eBay!

Lowell
Board Administrator
Username: Lowell

Post Number: 4161
Posted on Friday, September 21, 2007 - 10:50 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thanks for the kind remarks for the painting. I hope you all can make it by for the opening on Saturday and see "Open House" in its full 4 x 6 foot splendor.

I got a chunk of Slumpy the other day, a fist-size lump of the red sandstone from its crushed facade.

I talked to to the driver of disposal truck and learned that Slumpy's final resting place is the Carleton Farms landfill -- famous dump site of Toronto's solid waste.

Wagnis

Post Number: 3
Posted on Saturday, September 22, 2007 - 12:35 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

yeah, if you can send me the guys address or email or whatever you have, i'd love to see if i can get a piece from him.
I don't know if going to the Carleton Farms landfill will be fruitful, but it is an alternative. Where is it? And is there a real possibility of getting some nice chunks from there?

Quozl

Post Number: 1531
Posted on Saturday, September 22, 2007 - 12:51 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Carleton Farms landfill is in southwestern Wayne County in Sumpter Township. Nice chunks - not certain, you may have to bribe the dude at the front gate to get in...

Wagnis

Post Number: 4
Posted on Saturday, September 22, 2007 - 1:03 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

oh, i was going to call and ask first. not a good idea?

Drifterlee
Username: Drifterlee

Post Number: 4
Posted on Saturday, September 22, 2007 - 1:09 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I feel bad I only discovered this forum AFTER I could not find Brush Park. I was downtown and could have come to the gallery show! Argh!

Quozl

Post Number: 1535
Posted on Saturday, September 22, 2007 - 1:10 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Heck yeah I would call, might even just show up tomorrow morning early with some spending cabbage as an incentive for the gatekeeper. I have half a notion of going there myself in the AM looking for some Slumpy treasure...

Wagnis

Post Number: 5
Posted on Saturday, September 22, 2007 - 1:16 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

well, i'm on my way out the milan anyway, so it couldn't hurt to try. i just wonder how easy it is going to be to find anything, being that it's been a week, ya know.
worth a try though. good luck!!! I hope you get something. and if you get a good pile, try to get a bunch, cause i'm sure more people like me would like a few pieces!! save some for me!! :-)

Quozl

Post Number: 1537
Posted on Saturday, September 22, 2007 - 1:20 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I intend on bringing some of my Honduran grunts to do my dirty work. If we salvage anything, I will save you some.

Wagnis

Post Number: 6
Posted on Saturday, September 22, 2007 - 11:09 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

thank you so much. i hope you have luck finding something!!

Suuzq35
Username: Suuzq35

Post Number: 8
Posted on Saturday, September 22, 2007 - 11:41 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

what is slumpy? the 8th dwarf?

Kathleen
Username: Kathleen

Post Number: 2484
Posted on Saturday, September 22, 2007 - 12:18 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Suuzq35...

Click on the "Slumpy is Dead" photo on the left and check out the links for details....

Then click on the "Slumpy Lives" photo below that..

And welcome to the Forum!!

Mauser765
Username: Mauser765

Post Number: 1946
Posted on Saturday, September 22, 2007 - 5:12 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

What do you guys think - did Slumpy become an even more photographed landmark than Ransom-Gillis ? I think it did.

Wagnis

Post Number: 7
Posted on Sunday, September 23, 2007 - 8:31 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quozl, did you go out to the landfill? i called there yesterday and the guy said i'd have no such luck finding anything. so i didn't bother. and i noticed that the post from the guy who said someone in harper woods took some stuff home, has been deleted. guess i'm not getting and pieces. :-(

Ray1936

Post Number: 1970
Posted on Sunday, September 23, 2007 - 8:39 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Would have been nice to have had a brick from old Slumpy. I have a brick from the Olympia, the old Stroh's Brewery on Gratiot, and the City Garage at 2650 E. Jefferson (worked there for six years). Nice souvenirs.

Kathinozarks
Username: Kathinozarks

Post Number: 886
Posted on Sunday, September 23, 2007 - 8:46 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I have a piece of limestone(?) from Rose Terrace in GP.

Can people get a print of Lowell's beautiful rendition of Slumpy? Sorry if I should know, but don't. It's eerily beautiful.

Mauser765
Username: Mauser765

Post Number: 1949
Posted on Sunday, September 23, 2007 - 9:54 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"the post from the guy who said someone in harper woods took some stuff home, has been deleted."

It wasnt true.

Corktown_paddy
Username: Corktown_paddy

Post Number: 22
Posted on Monday, September 24, 2007 - 1:42 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Anyone have a video clip?

Johnlodge
Username: Johnlodge

Post Number: 2709
Posted on Monday, September 24, 2007 - 2:41 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"Would have been nice to have had a brick from old Slumpy. I have a brick from the Olympia, the old Stroh's Brewery on Gratiot"

I've got a brick from Stroh's too Ray! Does yours also work great as a doorstop, like mine does?

Ray1936

Post Number: 1974
Posted on Monday, September 24, 2007 - 5:08 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Right now the brick is kind of ballast for a small wheelbarrow the wife got as a planter. Wind kept blowing it over until I plopped the brick there.......:-)

Reddog289
Username: Reddog289

Post Number: 234
Posted on Wednesday, January 23, 2008 - 3:09 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

hey it gives proof to the history channel show that was on monday night, let things sit or mess them up, they all fall down.as a teen my uncle took my through brush park said "on day if i have the cash i,ll get me house down here".