Discuss Detroit » Hall of Fame Threads » Detroit Bowling Alleys » Archive through May 31, 2007 « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Yooperindetroit
Username: Yooperindetroit

Post Number: 5
Posted on Friday, May 25, 2007 - 9:34 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Does anyone know the names of the bowling alleys on Conant or Jos. Campau near the Detroit/Hamtramck border. I am looking for alleys which would have been operating in the late 1950's (58-59). Also, where would I be able to find old photo's of these alleys?

Taj920
Username: Taj920

Post Number: 215
Posted on Friday, May 25, 2007 - 11:03 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The Palladium was one, home of the Hamtramck Classic.

Mikeg
Username: Mikeg

Post Number: 882
Posted on Friday, May 25, 2007 - 11:31 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Here is a large thread on this subject:
https://www.atdetroit.net/forum/mes sages/76017/76838.html?1153955 621

BTW, the name of the bowling alley on Jos Campau was spelled PLAYDIUM.

(Message edited by Mikeg on May 25, 2007)

Whithorn11446
Username: Whithorn11446

Post Number: 90
Posted on Friday, May 25, 2007 - 1:44 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"Anybody recall the name of a basement bowling alley on the corner of Six Mile and Gratiot?"

I believe you are referring to Remers. If memory is correct that is the Grotto side of Gratiot so its actually the corner of Gratiot and Seymour.

I looked through that thread and did not see a mention of the Jefferson Club. The lanes were upstairs in that place. It was in the Jefferson-Dickerson area. Also, it was not exactly a place you were likely to see the Grosse Pointe crowd. East Warren was more likely for that possibility of Detroit places.

I saw a couple of mentions for Chandler on Harper. My dad knew the DeSantis family who bought the place in the mid-1960's and ended up bowling for them in the Detroit All Star classic.

Ramona Lanes was owned by Joe Strobl for many years. He also owned Royal Lanes for a few years near E.Warren and Alter. Ramona had no connection to the theatre other than the same name and being a couple of blocks apart in location. My dad bowled a few 300 games in Ramona, which considering he worked there for awhile may have been an advantage. Ramona had many church leagues and did not have a bar which appealed to some of the Protestant leagues who did not allow smoking and drinking in public. Ultimately, Joe Strobl did put a bar in during the 1970's but after the roof collapsed in the early 1980's that was the end of the place.

Caldogven
Username: Caldogven

Post Number: 42
Posted on Friday, May 25, 2007 - 11:06 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Whitthorn11446
I set pins at the Jefferson Club. The lanes were upstairs. I believe it was at Jefferson near Chalmers?

Sturge
Username: Sturge

Post Number: 16
Posted on Saturday, May 26, 2007 - 10:41 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Well the Garden Bowl next to the Majestic Theatre along Woodward is the oldest active bowling alley in America (since 1913). It certainly looks it too. I'm in a league with Compuware there. It's always an adventure bowling on those lanes.

Joken
Username: Joken

Post Number: 15
Posted on Saturday, May 26, 2007 - 11:08 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

hey CAL> remember the guys who would throw a second ball when you were in the pit. we would get even with them too.

Ed_golick
Username: Ed_golick

Post Number: 643
Posted on Saturday, May 26, 2007 - 12:49 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I've got hundreds of old 8x10 Detroit bowling photos from the 40s thru the 60s that I picked up from the estate of Fred Wolf. Most of them aren't labeled, so I have no idea what alleys they are from. I wish I had some of the old bowling shirts in the photos, though.

Jaj
Username: Jaj

Post Number: 4
Posted on Saturday, May 26, 2007 - 1:06 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I remember as a kid (1950's) bowling in the Connor Lanes.. Connor Jr Kids league..they had pinboys setting the pins then and I well remember Bill and Wilma LaLonde ..the proprietors.. great memory

Caldogven

Post Number: 43
Posted on Saturday, May 26, 2007 - 1:26 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Joken
I sure do. Those sleeper pins were a killer too. The best part was when someone rolled a good game and they would throw a quarter down the lane to you. The Jefferson also had a couple of billard tables, the first time I saw a pool table with no pockets. Did you set pins?

Joken

Post Number: 16
Posted on Saturday, May 26, 2007 - 3:06 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

i sure did Cal, at rainbow rec. we would spit in their thumb hole when they double balled us, LOL.

Wykkidx
Username: Wykkidx

Post Number: 5
Posted on Saturday, May 26, 2007 - 3:32 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Both of the posts bring back memories.. Just to add that the Bowling alley in Brightmoor on Fenkell was on top of Checker Drugs, there was a entrance from the front but the more popular on was on top of the drugstores back room which was accessable by a set of metal outside stairs on the back of the building. I worked at the drugstore in my younger years as a stockclerk back when it had a fountain and was kinda a meeting spot in the neighborhood

Whithorn11446

Post Number: 91
Posted on Saturday, May 26, 2007 - 3:55 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Caldogven,
It could have been closer to Chalmers. Maybe Newport was the side street ? Did you set pins there in the 1950's ? Who owned the place at the time ?

In terms of Fred Wolf he was not as beloved in the bowling community by everyone like some people would believe. When Wolf owned Eastland Bowl he had a reputation for gouging leagues. His overhead at Eastland was also lower since he received some of his facility equipment from the manufacturers for testing.

Jaj- Are you referring to old Conner Rec. that was located at Conner & Camden ? The pro bowler Billy Golembiewski spent time practicing there in the 1960's. Even after making it big time for that era he still lived on Maiden St. nearby.

(Message edited by Whithorn11446 on May 26, 2007)

Caldogven

Post Number: 45
Posted on Saturday, May 26, 2007 - 5:35 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Whithorn11446
I worked there in 1954-55. No I dont remember who the owner was.

Mikeg
Username: Mikeg

Post Number: 890
Posted on Sunday, May 27, 2007 - 10:34 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

From the May 24, 1945 issue of the Grosse Pointe News (page 12):

Eddie Lubanski

The Detroit News Rear View Mirror has an article about famous Detroit and Michigan Bowlers, including the above-mentioned Eddie Lubanski.

Joken

Post Number: 17
Posted on Sunday, May 27, 2007 - 10:49 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Jaj; did bill&wilma lalonde have a son named don. i worked with him at strohs. he gave me bowling lessons. was a pro league bowler.

Grandpamike
Username: Grandpamike

Post Number: 9
Posted on Sunday, May 27, 2007 - 11:31 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I attended the induction luncheon of the Polish-American Sports Hall of Fame about five years ago at Orchard Lake St. Marys. A couple arrived a little late and asked if they could sit at our table. It turned out to be Eddie Lubanski, who had been a previous inductee of the P.A.S.H.O.F., and his wife. They were very friendly, and Ed was quite a humble guy.

Whithorn11446

Post Number: 92
Posted on Sunday, May 27, 2007 - 1:14 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Ed Lubanski in the 1960's owned Klee's at 6 Mile and Conner. Speaking of pro bowlers and lessons Dave Soutar was the pro at Ramona Lanes in the late 1960's.

Danny
Username: Danny

Post Number: 5923
Posted on Sunday, May 27, 2007 - 6:59 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I miss

Crown Lanes, Rocket Lanes, Nortown Lanes and many more. Most of the Bowling lanes are in the suburbs. The only three bowling alleys left in Detroit are Rennaisance Lanes, Garden Bowl and Harper Recreation Bowl.

Detroit_signal
Username: Detroit_signal

Post Number: 35
Posted on Monday, May 28, 2007 - 12:17 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Harper Rec. is still there but not open for a few years now.

Ed, if you want help identifying those photos shoot me an email at jc8230@sbcglobal.net I'm in my 20s, but I have been in the bowling business my whole life and know a lot of old timers.

JOE C.

Smogboy
Username: Smogboy

Post Number: 5213
Posted on Monday, May 28, 2007 - 12:24 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I still remember my first time bowling at a wee age of 12 at the Bowlerama on 7 Mile in northwest Detroit. I always loved that swoopy pre-fabbed arched roof line that the place had.

Vetalalumni
Username: Vetalalumni

Post Number: 105
Posted on Monday, May 28, 2007 - 12:28 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Was Bowlerama the alley on West 7 Mile near Lahser?

Smogboy
Username: Smogboy

Post Number: 5218
Posted on Monday, May 28, 2007 - 12:37 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yep...that's the one.

Danny
Username: Danny

Post Number: 5925
Posted on Monday, May 28, 2007 - 11:48 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

And now its a garage for the post offices.

Ed_golick
Username: Ed_golick

Post Number: 645
Posted on Monday, May 28, 2007 - 4:40 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I've uploaded three bowling photos from the Fred Wolf collection. Like I said before, I got these from Wolf's estate when his wife passed. There were about a hundred photos that I really wanted from his WXYZ radio and TV days, but the package included hundreds of bowling photos, from the 1930s thru the 70s, most of them unmarked.

At any rate, here are three interesting ones.
www.detroitkidshow.com/bowlone .jpg
www.detroitkidshow.com/bowltwo .jpg
www.detroitkidshow.com/bowlthr ee.jpg

Michmeister
Username: Michmeister

Post Number: 196
Posted on Tuesday, May 29, 2007 - 1:18 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

And a round of brylcream for everybody!!

Gtat44
Username: Gtat44

Post Number: 142
Posted on Tuesday, May 29, 2007 - 6:50 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

That Wally Reppenhagen was my Geometry teacher at L.H.E. in the late 70's. At that time though he had a wooden right leg. Wow! Small world indeed.

Jaj
Username: Jaj

Post Number: 8
Posted on Tuesday, May 29, 2007 - 8:24 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Sorry Conner Rec was the name (it's been 50 years) and it was across the street from City Airport probably corner of Camden... It was a machine shop last time I saw it..
I do remember the LaLonde son, but I thought his name was Bill also... he would be around 63 years old now..

Whithorn11446

Post Number: 97
Posted on Thursday, May 31, 2007 - 7:03 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I want to clarify something I posted earlier. Someone asked about the basement bowling alley at Seymour and Gratiot. I mentioned Remers which was partially true. People had to go through Remers(Medical Supply Store), but the actual bowling alley in the basement was the original Klee's. Later, they moved to 6 Mile and Conner when Ed Lubanski owned the place.

Little Cafe Restaurant at Barlow and Gratiot had 6 bowling lanes as well.

Ordinary
Username: Ordinary

Post Number: 227
Posted on Thursday, May 31, 2007 - 11:32 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

What was the little bowling alley called that was either inside or next to the Nottingham Bar at Nottingham and E. Warren? Was it Penny Lanes?