Discuss Detroit » Hall of Fame Threads » St. Matthew » St. Matthew - 1 » Archive through February 05, 2007 « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Carm
Username: Carm

Post Number: 4
Posted on Tuesday, January 30, 2007 - 8:38 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I didn't want the old Mack and Moross picture thread to get taken over by talk of St. Matt's. Who attended and what do you remember? Like I said in the other thread, I attended from 1979-1988. I hated Mr.Schulte. I understand he was a great teacher, if you had a clue what he was talking about. I, to this day have no clue.
Imperfectly, Ms.Senacori was a 7th or 8th grade teacher before she moved down to 2nd. My sister had her and she ended up repeating 2nd grade. This had to be around 1985, as she is 3 years younger than me. I never has Sr. Gerry, and had Miss Judy for 4th grade homeroom. Also, I walked down McKinney all the time. I use to walk with Christy Engle and Jason Smith.

Imperfectly
Username: Imperfectly

Post Number: 182
Posted on Tuesday, January 30, 2007 - 11:09 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Oh wow Jenny and Christy were my friends too !! My mom still talks to their mom every once in a while. Across Courville from them was another girl christina who we also were friends with.
You must be a year ahead of me. We actually moved the beginning of my 8th grade year which would have been Sept. of 1989. I lived directly across from the cafeteria of Dominican. I recently drove thru the old neighborhood...its looking rough sad to say :-( I hated mr. shulte...he was pure evil. Remember JUG (justice under god) if you were bad you were on the list. What about marvelous madness day...oh that was the best day of the year! Carm where did you end up for HS and do you still live in the city ?

Carm

Post Number: 5
Posted on Wednesday, January 31, 2007 - 9:04 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I was a year ahead of you. We lived on Nottingham 2rd house from the corner off Berkshire. Easter of '05 my husband and I drove thru there. My house was a pile of rubble. I was heartbroken. I hadn't lived there in 15 years but it was still my home. But the neighborhood was getting rough when we moved. Marvelous Madness Day was the best! My birthday is May 29th, so it was always right around my birthday. Were you in Forensics? It was at St. Matt's once time. We moved to St. Clair Shores in 1989, so I went to South Lake for high school, and now my husband and kids and I are in Sterling Heights. What about you?

Tarkus
Username: Tarkus

Post Number: 234
Posted on Wednesday, January 31, 2007 - 9:32 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hi fellow Marauders. I went St. Matts from 75-79 after moving from Stellwagon. My first teacher was Ms.Roney, god what b#@*h. Mr. Schulte was a tough tough teacher but now that I'm older I realize how he wanted you to think things thru in logical progression.
The best times were as an alter boy, getting to miss class for funerals and other Masses at Church. That and drinking the wine when Father Gordon wasn't around. Fr. gordon always seemed like he had the voice of God with his deep baritone.
Every year for our class trip we went to Bob-lo and usually ended up getting into trouble.
Playing on the football teams was the best. Mr. Simioncini was the coach and we were pretty good as I remember. St. Clair, St. Anne, and St Joan were our hated rivals.
Devonshire b/t Warren and Frankfort was my street, my house still looks good but there are some hulks waiting to burn. I wish it was still decent cause I would sure like to move back.

Carm

Post Number: 6
Posted on Wednesday, January 31, 2007 - 9:37 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I have been racking my brain trying to remember Father Gordon's name! It has been driving me nuts. I guess I could have asked my mom. Thanks.

Imperfectly

Post Number: 183
Posted on Wednesday, January 31, 2007 - 10:23 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

We always went to mass when Fr Hildebrand was saying mass cuz we knew it would be quick !!!
I absolutely still think of that neighborhood as home. I was never in forensics but i was in choir ! Mr. Reyes remember him ??? I also played intermural softball. Do you remember 5th grade CYO camp and frankensteins grave ????
Carm I ended up at East Detroit HS class of 94.
I just bought a loft in Lafayette Park downtown 6 months ago.... i always wanted to come back to the city !

Carm

Post Number: 7
Posted on Wednesday, January 31, 2007 - 11:07 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I was always partial to Fr. Smitd. I know I spelled that wrong. He did my first communion. Also, my great aunt knows him, so he preformed the funeral services for my grandparents and uncle. But mass with Ft. Hildebrant was quick. No choir for me, I can't carry a tune in a bucket. What about Mr. Razonka? He was before Mr. Reyes. Remember selling M&M's to help pay for 5th grade camp? What was Frankensteins grave? I also played intermural ball, and in 8th grade I was on the varsity team. We sucked and lost every game. Did you ever sit with the little kids during lunch? My last year (87/88) I was in the office. Got to answer the phones and everything.

Tarkus

Post Number: 235
Posted on Wednesday, January 31, 2007 - 2:16 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Remember playing 4 square at lunch time. Who was the lunch lady?
Having to do the turtle crawl in Mr. Lebryks gym class.

Chalu64
Username: Chalu64

Post Number: 57
Posted on Wednesday, January 31, 2007 - 9:13 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Another fellow Marauder here. I'm still trying to figure out why we didn't have at least one patch of grass for a playground. I went back to the gym about 4 years ago(?) when Fr. Novelli decided to sell off many of the remaining relics of the school. Pretty surreal. I heard much of the stuff ended up in the dumpster. I ended up with some trophies from some of the CYO Football Championships.
(very sentimental to me.)

Carm

Post Number: 8
Posted on Wednesday, January 31, 2007 - 10:04 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Was Mrs. Kane the lunch lady? What exactly was her job? I would have loved to go to that sale had I known about it. What kind of stuff was being sold? It is a shame that stuff ended up trashed. I still want to go thru the school one more time.

Chalu64

Post Number: 59
Posted on Wednesday, January 31, 2007 - 10:58 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Carm,
When I was a student there, Mrs. Kelof and Mrs. Wagner were the lunch wardens. Mrs. Kane was an office assistant, always manning the mimeograph machine. Remember those things? She always had blue fingers from the copying.
Most of the sale stuff consisted of trophies, audiovisual stuff, some textbooks and a few, older sports uniforms. Nothing great in terms of uniforms. I was looking but most of that stuff went away. It was definitely worth being back in the gym, even though it seemed very small. I swear I could still smell the Mr.Cs pizza while I was there.

Imperfectly

Post Number: 185
Posted on Wednesday, January 31, 2007 - 11:50 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I am so sad that they threw stuff out. Mrs Kane ! Oh my gosh I dont think she had a real purpose. Frankensteins grave was this crazy rock formation in the creek at CYO camp...btw where the heck were we that week I have no clue. In the gym I loved the pile of mats in the corner...I wasnt the athletic type ! Mr. Lebryk was always cool...what was that think he would make you do if you were bad??? He had a name for it. I would love to get back in the school to walk around.
Carm- remember Tim Coleman. I thought he was the cutest.
Ha. Don't tell my girlfriend that I live with!!!
Who else remembers the "crying room" in the church. My brother and I spend a lot of time in there while my mom threatened our lives !!!

Carm

Post Number: 9
Posted on Thursday, February 01, 2007 - 9:12 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Camp was up by Port Huron, Port Sanilac or Camp Sanilac maybe. Don't remember the rock formation. The day we got back from camp I found out my grandpa was in the hospital. He died about a week later, so I missed the last few days of 5th grade. I can still see the mats in the corner. Don't remember what he would make you do when you were bad, cause I was a perfect angel. Yeah, that is it. Tim Coleman doesn't sound familiar. I would probably know him if I saw a picture. Was there a Kevin in your grade? Can't remember his last name, but he wore glasses. I know that isn't a lot to go on. I just seem to remember he was as year behind me. Did you ever go to the dances? Were those by grade or was it mixed grades?

Wkl
Username: Wkl

Post Number: 96
Posted on Thursday, February 01, 2007 - 9:58 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The CYO camps where on either side of Port Sanilac. Boys to the south, girls to the north.

Imperfectly

Post Number: 187
Posted on Thursday, February 01, 2007 - 11:12 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Kevin Scully maybe ??

Carm

Post Number: 11
Posted on Thursday, February 01, 2007 - 4:25 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

That could be it. It sounds familiar. I don't suppose you have an old yearbook? I might, packed away at my parents house, but I doubt it.

Swingline
Username: Swingline

Post Number: 698
Posted on Thursday, February 01, 2007 - 5:43 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Anybody know how many students St. Matthew had just before it closed?

Wkl

Post Number: 100
Posted on Thursday, February 01, 2007 - 5:54 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I think the newspaper said there where 90 students. Heck we had more than that in my grade!

Tarkus

Post Number: 240
Posted on Thursday, February 01, 2007 - 6:00 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Imperfectly, Mr. Lebryk made you do the cockroach.
Did anyone who served as an alterboy or girl ever drink the wine from the vault?

Chalu64

Post Number: 63
Posted on Thursday, February 01, 2007 - 8:38 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Tarkus, I need some more hints as to your identity. ; )

Tarkus

Post Number: 241
Posted on Thursday, February 01, 2007 - 9:29 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I played football at St. Matts. Patrol boy, Alter boy.

Kathleen
Username: Kathleen

Post Number: 1903
Posted on Thursday, February 01, 2007 - 9:39 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'm surprised at so few mentions of nuns. I'm thinking it is because many of you are younger than me by 10-15 years. When I attended St. Clare at the south end of Whittier, we had two nuns and two laypersons teaching every grade, so I'm sure that it was the same way at St. Matthew's during the 60s and 70s.

I remember Mr. Simoncini. He coached football in the area. His son Matt played Cannon football with my brothers, and later I went to high school with his daughters and Matt. I believe he passed away a few years ago.

Carm

Post Number: 12
Posted on Thursday, February 01, 2007 - 9:57 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

There was a convent next door when I started, but it was torn down. That had to be around 1981 or so. The only nuns that taught when I was there was Sr. Gerry and Miss Jan. At least I think it was Miss Jan.. She taught 5th grade.

Chalu64

Post Number: 67
Posted on Thursday, February 01, 2007 - 10:14 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Coach Simoncini passed away in 2001. At the time, he was still devoting much of his free time to coaching disadvantaged youths.

Imperfectly

Post Number: 189
Posted on Thursday, February 01, 2007 - 11:53 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

yes ! the cockroach. haha.
i think i have/had a yearbook from the 7th grade but i have no idea where it is right now.
my brother played football for st matts too.
i had Sr. Gerry and im pretty sure she is in hell now. she was the meanest lady in the history of the world.
someone else mentioned that we didnt have a lick of grass to play on for recess...and its so true we just wandered around a parking lot !!!!!

Carm

Post Number: 13
Posted on Friday, February 02, 2007 - 9:06 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hey, there was that one tetherball pole! It would get so cold with those skirts and knee socks. I remember huddling in that doorway. I think it was back off the gym. Where did that doorway go too? What about that trailor they put up? Was that for special ed classes or something?

Wkl

Post Number: 101
Posted on Friday, February 02, 2007 - 9:25 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Carm, that sheltered door on the playground went into the back of the boy's locker room.

It seems when I start 1st grade the split was about 50% lay teacher 50% nuns. It seems they started to thin out some as I progressed. When I was in 7th & 8th grade we only had Sr. Connie. This was back when the nuns stop wearing habits and began to dress in semi-civilan clothes. They also tried to be "relevant". That didn't go over too well. I think there where still quite a few nuns, but they where mostly in the lower grades. Back then most grades had 3 room of at least 35 kids.

Tarkus

Post Number: 243
Posted on Friday, February 02, 2007 - 9:52 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

That door had a hole in it. When the girls had gym you and used the boys locker room their was always a line to peek in.

Tarkus

Post Number: 244
Posted on Friday, February 02, 2007 - 9:57 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Chalu, what year did you graduate St. Matts. I was 1979.

Imperfectly

Post Number: 191
Posted on Friday, February 02, 2007 - 11:21 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yes the lone teatherball...how exciting. I remember when the playscape was built up but
I dont think we used it very ofter. I think when I was there each grade had 2 classes...about 45 students per grade.

Carm

Post Number: 15
Posted on Friday, February 02, 2007 - 7:49 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thats right. A.M. and P.M. Kindergarten with Mrs. Moore. Remember Clifford the Big Red Dog on the bookshelf? 2 classes per grade. Starting in third grade we "exchanged." 7th and 8th grade we exchanged between all 4 classrooms, which in 87-88 was Mrs. Bogan, Mr. Schulte, Miss Cotter. Am I missing someone or was there only 3 teachers? And we barely got to play on the play escape. Stupid tether ball.

Drm
Username: Drm

Post Number: 1081
Posted on Friday, February 02, 2007 - 8:33 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

Mr. Lebryk was always cool...what was that think he would make you do if you were bad??? He had a name for it.

It was the DEAD cockroach. I seem to recall doing that many times in the 1970s. You'd lay on your back holding your arms and legs straight up in the air.

Did anyone else ride the school bus? Since the city never plowed the side streets, there'd be two tire ruts with a "hump" in the middle. When the bus crossed a side street with a big "hump", those of us sitting in the back of the bus would be thrown upwards to the ceiling. Because of this, we'd fight over who got to sit in the very back during the winter.

There was only one bus so we were divided into first trip and second trip. First trip got picked up early and had to hang out at school for an hour or so before class started ("don't play on the snow banks!" they would yell at us, trying to stop us from having any fun whatsoever in the parking lot). The good part was that we got to leave class first. I can still hear Sister Gerry in 2nd grade dismissing "first trip bus people". Next semester the two trips would switch, and I'd be part of second trip and have to hang out at school for an hour or so after class.

Fr. Gordon - did he ever wear anything that wasn't black?

Mrs. Liamini and Mrs. Fazio taught 3rd grade. Lots of singing and fun with them. One of them with her husband owned Antonio's Pizza somewhere on the east side. Mrs. Fazio played the piano in her classroom. One of her songs was "the 3 o'clock bell it didn't ring".

Mrs. Molowski taught 4th grade and played the Bee Gees while we were working. I exchanged to her class in the afternoon, I think for English.

So many more memories...

Chalu64

Post Number: 71
Posted on Friday, February 02, 2007 - 9:05 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Tarkus,
I was in the class before you.

Harpernottingham
Username: Harpernottingham

Post Number: 77
Posted on Saturday, February 03, 2007 - 4:47 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

St. Matt's Class of '83 here. K through 8. Best years of my life. I've been thinking for some time that we need an alumni Web site, but I don't have the skills to start up a good one. Anybody have any suggestions?

--Dave Mesrey

Harpernottingham

Post Number: 78
Posted on Saturday, February 03, 2007 - 4:59 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Mrs. Liamini's husband did indeed own Antonio's, which was on Vernier across from Eastland. But before that, he owned Marco's, which was just a few blocks from my house. I lived near Harper and Nottingham. Marco's was at Harper and Wayburn or Maryland.Anybody remember L&F Enterprises? As for the dead cockroach -- a Frank Lebryk classic. And as for Joe Simoncini, an east side classic himself. He and his son Matt coached me, and I still keep in touch with Matt. I helped him and Tom Hurley coach boys football back in '95. Our patch of grass was about two miles east at Balduck Park. I don't know why everyone uses a code name on here. I'm Dave Mesrey, and I remember Mr. Schulte well. Paul Schulte. Scared me, but in retrospect, got the most outta me. And heck yeah, I remember Frankenstein's grave. Miss Lipinski took us up to CYO camp in fifth grade, which for me was 1979-80. St. Matt's alumni Web site! Somebody has to start one. Somebody? Anybody? What a great way that would be for us to all keep in touch and network and such.

Drm
Username: Drm

Post Number: 1083
Posted on Saturday, February 03, 2007 - 5:22 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

Anybody remember L&F Enterprises?

I remember the sign hanging across the hallway on the first floor near Mrs. Liamini's and Mrs. Fazio's classrooms. Did it have any other significance?

Harpernottingham

Post Number: 82
Posted on Saturday, February 03, 2007 - 5:33 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

That was just Mrs. Liamini's and Mrs. Fazio's little name for their zany third-grade class productions. I remember we put on a play, which involved a bullfighter and a bull. The brave bullfighter, played in 1978 by young John Jamieson, fought off the pesky bull played by a snorting Jon Allen + 1. The rest of us just sang something like "Torrero, cha-cha-cha ... the bull is so confused because I cha-cha-cha-cha-cha. I never hurt him only if he gets in my way. Torrero, torrero-OLAY!"

We performed this, of course, in the auditorium underneath the church. Great times down there.

Anybody remember pep rallies in the gym?

"Sixth grade, don't be shy! Let us hear your battle cry!"

(Free Marauders sweatshirt to the first to respond with the correct "battle cry."

Yelloweyes
Username: Yelloweyes

Post Number: 1
Posted on Saturday, February 03, 2007 - 7:14 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

First post! I am currently a teacher for Detroit Public Schools and teach physical education a.k.a gym class at the old St. Matthews school (now named Maya Angelou) and coach basketball. Just thought I'd share that with the former students of Saint Mats. I chose to work there because of the great location and the big gymnasium.

Carm

Post Number: 18
Posted on Saturday, February 03, 2007 - 7:30 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Was it something like V-I-C-T-O-R-Y victory's our battlecry?

Harpernottingham

Post Number: 87
Posted on Saturday, February 03, 2007 - 7:55 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

We have a winner! Way to go, Carm!

Now if I can just find that sweatshirt.

: )

Maybe I can get one at Harper Sporting Goods ... although it's on Mack now. Hmm ... maybe not.

The dances, by the way ... we called them "Activities Nights," and we had them in the gymnasium periodically. That's the best gymnasium ever! Love the balcony. That gym's got soul.

Three cheers for Mrs. Moore, too.
Lorraine Moore was her name.

And yep, Sister Gerry (Geraldine) for second grade, and Miss Janice for fifth. I don't think Miss Janice was a nun. Perhaps she just seemed "nunly."

Sister Gerry took away my Mickey Mouse watch because his head constantly nodded "yes," and I'd show it to my classmates and ask Mickey, "Is Sister Gerry mean?" and Mickey would nod his head.

Hey, Mickey knew what time it was.

Carm

Post Number: 19
Posted on Saturday, February 03, 2007 - 8:00 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I had Ms.Magrath (I think that was her name) and she took away my Flintstones watch. And she wouldn't give it back. My mom had to go to the school and get it back for me.

HarperNottingham, I lived at Nottingham and Berkshire. 3rd house off the corner. Did you happen to know a Robyn Theis?

Harpernottingham

Post Number: 88
Posted on Saturday, February 03, 2007 - 8:13 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Sorry, Carm, but Robyn Theis's name doesn't ring any bells, but I do remember the Berkshire Market. Yeah, I think Ms. McGrath taught second grade at St. Matt's. Do you remember Service Squad? And your first communion book, "Celebrating the Eucharist"?

I still have mine. It's hysterical.

Harpernottingham

Post Number: 89
Posted on Saturday, February 03, 2007 - 8:18 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

P.S. Miss Sinacori taught me in sixth grade from 1980-'81. She was a wonderful lady. I wonder what ever happened to her. I know I've spelled her name right, but I can't remember her first name.

Carm

Post Number: 20
Posted on Saturday, February 03, 2007 - 8:21 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Robin (I spelled her name wrong) is my aunt. Her and my grandma lived upstairs from us. She is probably around your age, but she went to Peace Luthern. I do remember service squad, but couldn't think of the name. When I was in 8th grade I had the cushy job of sitting in the office, eating lunch, answering the phone and staying toasty warm in the winter. Don't specifically remember the Celebrating the Euchrist.

Carm

Post Number: 21
Posted on Saturday, February 03, 2007 - 8:26 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Miss Sinacori moved down to 2nd grade. My sister had her and had a hell of a time. She ended up repeating 2nd grade. She had homework from the time she got home from school until she went to bed. I think she may have been a good teacher for older students, but not so great for the little ones. I never had her, so I have no idea what kind of person she was. But a disservice was done to my sister. I love to read and do it every chance I get. My sister hates it because she had such a hard time. All stemming from what she went thru in 2nd. grade.

Harpernottingham

Post Number: 90
Posted on Saturday, February 03, 2007 - 8:29 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

When I went to school there, Mrs. Wansch was the secretary. Millie Wansch. Mr. Sherry was the principal (he succeeded Mr. Perkins), and Mrs. Kane -- Marie Kane -- was indeed the mimeograph lady. She was awesome. I ran into her at Greenfield Village a few years ago. Such a nice lady. And what a hairdo! It was immovable.

I ran track, played baseball and football, was an altar boy for Fr. John T. Gordon and Fr. Lambert Smits (whose "Let Us Pray to the Lord" sounded more like "Wet Us Pway to da Lew-ahd").

He was really a good guy. Belgian. Drank beer at my friend's Steve's house on Outer Drive with Steve's dad, who was also Belgian.

Go, Marauders!

Harpernottingham

Post Number: 91
Posted on Saturday, February 03, 2007 - 8:30 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Wow ... Miss Sinacori ... that's a shame. I love to read. Remember Mrs. Adams the librarian?

Carm

Post Number: 22
Posted on Saturday, February 03, 2007 - 8:40 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I love Fr. Smits. He presided over my First Communion. After St. Matt's he went to St. Angela's and I believe Shrine of the Little Flower. My dad's aunt knows him and when my grandparents and uncles died he preformed the funeral services. I would have loved for him to preform my wedding ceremony, but my husband didn't want to be married in a church. Mrs. Adams lived off Berkshire, but I can't remember which street, but I can picture the house. As for Mrs. Wansch, but I had the office for service squad, she went on vacation to Bermuda. She brought me back a keychain souviner. It is still on my keychain to this day, almost 20 years later.

Harpernottingham

Post Number: 93
Posted on Saturday, February 03, 2007 - 8:47 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Carm, e-mail me anytime at demesrey@yahoo.com.
I can talk St. Matt's till the cows come home.

: )

Chalu64

Post Number: 73
Posted on Saturday, February 03, 2007 - 9:05 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I want the St.Matt's sweatshirt. I was thinking about having some retro t-shirst printed up....need to find the graphic of the Marauder.
Millie Wonsch's son is a vendor of mine. Mrs. Moore hasn't changed one bit, still as wonderful as she was years ago.

Tarkus

Post Number: 246
Posted on Saturday, February 03, 2007 - 9:17 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Chalu, the mascot of the Marauder looked just like the Tampa Bay Buc's swashbuckler. The one with his dagger b/t his teeth. I'll order one if you do it. Check "The Pointe After" on Mack they might actually have some. The last time I was in there they had B.G., Austin etc. But I'll order one from you if you make them up.
Were you at the reunion of 77,78,79 down at Zainias Garden Bowl a couple of years ago?

Chalu64

Post Number: 77
Posted on Saturday, February 03, 2007 - 9:20 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Tarkus,
Yes I was. I was one of the lucky ones to have planned it. We're actually talking about doing it again.
Maybe for the reunion, I'll make some up and we'll sell them for cost.

Harpernottingham

Post Number: 94
Posted on Saturday, February 03, 2007 - 9:49 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I want my old football jersey back!
Love those pirating marauders with the eye patches on the shoulders.

Harpernottingham

Post Number: 95
Posted on Saturday, February 03, 2007 - 9:52 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Please include me on any reunion talk. demesrey@yahoo.com. I'm tellin' you ... we need an alumni Web site, specific to St. Matt's. And Chalu, yes, please ... T-shirt or sweatshirt or anything Marauders for me, too.

--Dave Mesrey, Class of '83

Tarkus

Post Number: 247
Posted on Saturday, February 03, 2007 - 10:34 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Chalu, include me in on that email. rkn65@yahoo.com.
Robert Neil '79

Chalu64

Post Number: 79
Posted on Saturday, February 03, 2007 - 11:24 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Seriously, we've been talking about another reunion. We just need to figure out a place. As much as we all loved Garden Bowl and the Zaineas, it was hard to talk...very noisy in there. And not private enough. Any thought on where we could have it?

Carm

Post Number: 24
Posted on Saturday, February 03, 2007 - 11:35 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Include me in on any reunion information.
carmen@krif.com

Harpernottingham

Post Number: 99
Posted on Saturday, February 03, 2007 - 11:48 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

There's only one place for such a reunion:

THE BLUE POINTE

Boshna
Username: Boshna

Post Number: 157
Posted on Sunday, February 04, 2007 - 1:05 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

mmmmmm. . . The Blue Pointe. . . I love their lobster bisque

Tarkus

Post Number: 248
Posted on Sunday, February 04, 2007 - 6:39 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Chalu, I work at the Opera House. We have a number of different areas for parties and such. I would be more than happy to check on things there. Appx. how many people went to the one a few years ago. And by the way, LOL, who are you? It's driving me nuts. I was looking thru classmates to matchup Chalu and nothing came close.

Imperfectly

Post Number: 194
Posted on Monday, February 05, 2007 - 11:29 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Ms.Sinacori still teaches on the westside. Her sister is a client of mine and I thought at first she was her. I asked her if she was ever a teacher and she said no my sister is. And then I told her I had her in 1st grade in 81, so she called her to ask her if she remembered me, she said she did. I laughed and said yeah right, then my client said , she heard you and she said you have the same laugh!
Oh I would LOVE a shirt, I am sure I have a pic of me wearing one, and one of my brother in his football uniform. I will have to look and scan it in.
Carm if you don't mind send me an email and tell me your name !!!! and also i would like to be included in any reunion.
miz.echow@gmail.com

Carm

Post Number: 26
Posted on Monday, February 05, 2007 - 4:28 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Imperfectly, check your email.
I wish I had some of my old t-shirts from baseball. Maybe my mom has some pictures.

Chalu64

Post Number: 81
Posted on Monday, February 05, 2007 - 7:55 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I've been searching for the Marauder graphic. I'm finding lots of pirates, but not one similar to the one on the uniforms. I might have to break down and call Harper Sport. Any thoughts on where we used to get this stuff printed?

Harpernottingham

Post Number: 111
Posted on Monday, February 05, 2007 - 7:57 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Probably Harper Sporting Goods. They did everything for us back in the day.

Tarkus

Post Number: 254
Posted on Monday, February 05, 2007 - 8:18 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I know this is the wrong color but I think this was the logo used.