Discuss Detroit » Hall of Fame Threads » Dequindre cut « Previous Next »
Archive through September 21, 20076nois30 09-21-07  10:58 am
  ClosedNew threads cannot be started on this page. The threads above are previous posts made to this thread.        

Top of pageBottom of page

Jt1
Username: Jt1

Post Number: 10197
Posted on Friday, September 21, 2007 - 12:02 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

So if the city is giving graffiti artist the okay to continue their work in the cut you would be okay with it?

Yes, since they have permission.

quote:

If graffiti makes an abandoned building look better is it still vandalism? In that case wouldn't the true vandal be the slum lord who has not maintained their property.

Both are vandals. The slumlord should be fined and the vandal shoudl be caught and charged and hopefully sentenced to an obscene amount of community service.

quote:

Graffiti is a political statement, is a message, and is a language, and is art. Whether you agree with it or not is another matter but it is fundamentally those things.

I sure do appreciate the political statement made by writing eggs/oral all over the place. Can someone clarify the political statement for me.

This statement is a cop out. It applies to some but certainly not all and probably not the majority.

Rivertowner
Username: Rivertowner

Post Number: 13
Posted on Friday, September 21, 2007 - 12:09 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

6nois, if you look a bit closer you'll see a number of trees that were tagged with a small spot of paint that the contractor is leaving in place. These were the trees identified by the project's landscape architect as worth keeping (i.e. healthy, won't interfere with any path elements, etc.). Give them the benefit of the doubt that they know what they're doing.

The formal stance of the City and Riverfront Conservancy is that the graffiti can stay (and new works can be created) as long as it's not obscene. The definition of "obscene" is obviously up for interpretation, but in general, as long as it wouldn't give your grandmother a heart attack or cause your little neice to ask questions that would make you blush, it's probably fine.

Indeed, the goal is that the Cut can become something of a public canvas that graffitists use as a perpetually-evolving work of art. To the question of whether this will merely encourage more tagging of buildings elsewhere in the city, one would hope that, if you knew you could display your work in a place where it will get a lot of exposure and be tolerated (even admired), you would be more inclined to do it there as opposed to some alleyway where it's just going to get powerwashed and you're going to get your kneecaps busted if the property owner catches you.

And if looking at graffiti isn't your thing, that's fine - there are quite a few other hike/bike paths in the metro with a different character.

6nois
Username: 6nois

Post Number: 512
Posted on Friday, September 21, 2007 - 12:23 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I wish I could give them the benefit of the doubt but after talking to the construction manager much of it is gone. I am sure in the end it will be a nice product, but I think it could probably have been better.

Fishtoes2000
Username: Fishtoes2000

Post Number: 291
Posted on Friday, September 21, 2007 - 12:51 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

Can't say if anything will stop it. Cameras are only a deterrent if they are working and monitored. Not sure if the conservancy will keep it up or have security guards or if it is the responsibility of the city.

The cameras are fed into the Conservancy's security monitoring room at Rivard Plaza.

Professorscott
Username: Professorscott

Post Number: 776
Posted on Friday, September 21, 2007 - 1:16 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'm kind of astonished that we have this great new facility coming to fruition, and everybody here seems to be completely focused on the graffiti issue.

Bob
Username: Bob

Post Number: 1568
Posted on Friday, September 21, 2007 - 1:20 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I personally still wish there was commuter rail on the Dequindre Cut, but that is wishful thinking and never going to happen. But what they are doing is going to be really cool. Connecting Eastern Market to other successes in Detroit will continue to help this area thrive and grow.

6nois
Username: 6nois

Post Number: 513
Posted on Friday, September 21, 2007 - 1:29 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Half of the cut is being left for future commuter rail development. So its not like the pedestrian path is going to close the door on that idea.

Professorscott
Username: Professorscott

Post Number: 777
Posted on Friday, September 21, 2007 - 1:30 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

How did that commuter rail work, when it existed? I understand the station was behind the Ren Cen. If you worked anywhere else downtown, how did you get from the station to work? Also, how often did the trains run, and so on?

Curious as to why it failed, I do have some suspicions...

Transitrider
Username: Transitrider

Post Number: 21
Posted on Friday, September 21, 2007 - 2:39 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The AA-Det Study docs have a basic description of the Cut and the challenges of ever using it for commuter rail. See Appendix C on the study website. If I understand correctly, the deterioration of the numerous bridges present a problem and the safety specs have changed since 1983. But leaving half of it open for something smaller like a trolley between Eastern Market and the Riverwalk seems appropriate in time.

Re: SEMTA Detroit-Pontiac service:
http://www.railroad.net/forums /viewtopic.php?t=28651
(see last post)
Picture with parking nearby and Ren Cen:
http://www.rr-roadtrip.com/pas s100425h.jpg
I hear some blame SEMTA for deliberately making sure it was under-served so they could phase it out, others blame their dwindling budgets.

re: graffiti
It seems there are various kinds, and not all of it illegal. The stuff in the Cut, while "unauthorized," tends towards the "mural" type, and could easily be integrated in a positive and legal way. In Ann Arbor, the train bridge over N. Main St. was always a spot for graffiti, not all of it good. The city finally worked out a deal to let some do a mural, and now it's a nice gateway into town.

The tags and other junk is understandably unwanted. I don't really understand what most it is supposed to signify. When someone tags my bus stop with "Gheys", am I supposed to leave because a gang has taken over, or should I look forward to fabulous gentrifiers in the area with a strong sense of style, if perhaps in need of spelling lessons? ;)

Charlottepaul
Username: Charlottepaul

Post Number: 1724
Posted on Saturday, September 22, 2007 - 11:57 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"They acutally clear cut with no distinction of the type of plant that is there."

I think that it is time for the Dequindre Cut to get a news chance to start over so to speak. It doesn't have to be left in its roughest condition in order to carry its ambiance and history, rather it makes sense to clean it up in some sense.

"I'd hate to see them spend money to paint over the cool stuff that's there now only to see crappy stuff go up afterwards"

Yeah, if the city or something paints over everything, it will probably look like an ugly blank concrete wall.

"I have seen graffiti in ever city I have been to whether the city tolerates it or not, its still going to happen."

Maybe if you do allow it, the site might actually loose its appeal to the artists and not continue to be a hotspot for one to show off his skills.

Sticks
Username: Sticks

Post Number: 344
Posted on Saturday, September 22, 2007 - 9:50 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The ignorance some of these threads makes me want to shit myself in anger. But yeah, very surprised to see a DPD in the cut.

RIP Market Yard

Buttholesurfer
Username: Buttholesurfer

Post Number: 2
Posted on Sunday, September 23, 2007 - 3:29 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Great documantation
I especially enjoyed the shots with the foregroung clutter of broken bottles and other debris. It seems to give the photographer some credit. I really like the work being framed by the nature its in.

None
Username: None

Post Number: 52
Posted on Sunday, September 23, 2007 - 9:11 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Butt-hole-surfer wtf is that, you don't see people with the screen name cunt-hole-surfer do ya?
If your going to troll for glory holes do it elsewhere.

Dialh4hipster
Username: Dialh4hipster

Post Number: 2190
Posted on Sunday, September 23, 2007 - 9:26 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Um, the Butthole Surfers is a punk/alternative band that's been around since the 80's, genius.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/B utthole_Surfers

Supersport
Username: Supersport

Post Number: 11697
Posted on Sunday, September 23, 2007 - 9:38 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hipster, not sure if it wouldn't have been funnier not to inform him they are/were a group. LOL

Hadn't heard this song in forever!

http://www.focalpointinc.net/old/Jason/MySpace/Music/Pepper.mp3

(Message edited by supersport on September 23, 2007)

None
Username: None

Post Number: 53
Posted on Sunday, September 23, 2007 - 12:47 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

That is quite funny, and yes the ass of the day award goes to me

Rbdetsport
Username: Rbdetsport

Post Number: 385
Posted on Sunday, September 23, 2007 - 1:29 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I want to see a trolley in its first phase extending from the rencen to Belle Isle via Atwater and Jefferson and a trolley extending from Tricentennial State Park to Eastern Market with phase II extending up to Midtown.

Charlottepaul
Username: Charlottepaul

Post Number: 1729
Posted on Sunday, September 23, 2007 - 1:34 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Don't we all?

Rbdetsport
Username: Rbdetsport

Post Number: 386
Posted on Sunday, September 23, 2007 - 1:41 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Does anyone else think it would be pretty cool to lodge shops into the sides of the cut and make it a sort of shopping destination sort of like Atlanta's underground or a Savannah type destination.

Fishtoes2000

Post Number: 295
Posted on Sunday, September 23, 2007 - 2:01 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

Does anyone else think it would be pretty cool to lodge shops into the sides of the cut and make it a sort of shopping destination sort of like Atlanta's underground or a Savannah type destination.

Definitely. How about a micro-brewery, coffee shop and a bike shop/rental store for starters? That's a good combo, so long as the coffee shop sells ice cream too. :-)

Fishtoes2000

Post Number: 299
Posted on Sunday, September 23, 2007 - 6:41 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Wedding dress photos from the Cut:
http://michiganweddingphotojou rnalist.blogspot.com/2007/09/l isas-trashing.html

Buttholesurfer
Username: Buttholesurfer

Post Number: 4
Posted on Sunday, September 23, 2007 - 6:45 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

the butholesurfers were a band?

Gravitymachine
Username: Gravitymachine

Post Number: 1824
Posted on Sunday, September 23, 2007 - 6:50 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

interesting fishtoes, i know the model and her husband (short haired guy) in the photos

Fishtoes2000

Post Number: 300
Posted on Sunday, September 23, 2007 - 7:45 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

i know the model and her husband (short haired guy) in the photos

Ah, cool. I only know the photographer.

Detroitnerd
Username: Detroitnerd

Post Number: 1472
Posted on Tuesday, October 02, 2007 - 12:47 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Saw them cutting brush along St. Aubin, and trucks tearing up the gated-off right-of-way this a.m. What's afoot?

Ericsprague
Username: Ericsprague

Post Number: 23
Posted on Tuesday, October 02, 2007 - 12:57 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/F eet

http://freep.com/apps/pbcs.dll /article?AID=/20070905/BUSINES S04/709050415/1002

http://www.modeldmedia.com/int henews/dequindrecut9207.aspx

Detroitnerd
Username: Detroitnerd

Post Number: 1474
Posted on Tuesday, October 02, 2007 - 1:15 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

What's a foot?

Haha. Where's the link to that ba-dum-psh when you need it?!

Leland_palmer
Username: Leland_palmer

Post Number: 390
Posted on Sunday, October 07, 2007 - 1:25 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Pics from last weekend.

http://fadeddetroit.blogspot.c om/2007/10/clean-cut.html

Hybridy
Username: Hybridy

Post Number: 165
Posted on Monday, October 08, 2007 - 12:54 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

in case anyone cares southwest detroit has begun and completed parts of a bike path/greenway initiative in patton park on dix near the bid on vernor which is to buffer sw from the dift
the city also has plenty of info out there on feasible paths
all we need to do is get some non-profits to jump on this

we can all agree park spaces in the city are in a dismal state- shared greenways and linear corridors spur further investment, improve prop values, and become a destination

oakland and washtenaw all have trails wayne county can tie into

http://www3.ci.detroit.mi.us/e gov/egovfrm.aspx?url=http://ww w.ci.detroit.mi.us/plandevl/ad vplanning/default.htm

Oldoak
Username: Oldoak

Post Number: 33
Posted on Monday, October 08, 2007 - 1:19 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Quote:
" 4. This is a unique opportunity for the city to incorporate interesting and vibrant things about it, with development. You can build a plain bike path anywhere, but this bike path is unique to Detroit, because of its location and the graffiti."

Before work began I took an guest from Nashville Tennessee to the Dequindre Cut. She loved it and loves Detroit – wants to bring husband and kids back as tourists.

Can’t find a Dequindre Cut anywhere else!

Pythonmaster
Username: Pythonmaster

Post Number: 120
Posted on Saturday, October 20, 2007 - 10:59 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Shot it right before they cleared it.

http://s195.photobucket.com/al bums/z214/justbeamensch/?actio n=view&current=dequindrecut.jp g