Discuss Detroit » Hall of Fame Threads » Forest & Van Dyke « Previous Next »
Archive through October 03, 2007Donnie30 10-03-07  2:20 pm
Archive through November 08, 2007Dorothyd30 11-08-07  6:39 pm
  ClosedNew threads cannot be started on this page. The threads above are previous posts made to this thread.        

Top of pageBottom of page

Bbq1945
Username: Bbq1945

Post Number: 8
Posted on Friday, November 09, 2007 - 12:44 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Dorothy:

Ok - we definately were friends. I was the guy in jeans, white t-shirt, and a chip on my shoulder like everyone else in the neighborhood. Two things set me apart from others that you knew. I took on 3 brothers - one with a knife - in the alley behind your house - and solved the situation peacefully. Thank God. You and your friends were crazy about me and called me all of the time. Drove my Mother nuts. Do you remember any of this?

Grizzly
Username: Grizzly

Post Number: 1
Posted on Friday, November 09, 2007 - 9:19 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Wow! Nice to find this group, and connections to the old neighborhood. Bbq1945, I remember your mother and Mildred more than I do you - but we've had our run-ins. Dorothyd, I remember Donna Lombardi, and Kathy is my "baby" sister. The only girl I remember from the corner house is Denise - her mother's name is Dorothy! I worked at Forest supermarket for a couple of years, and remember Louie Macoule well - Tony Saponi too, and a summer working at C. F. Burger Creamery earned me enough for my first year at Wayne State. I also worked for "Doctor" Milton Rose, and went to school for 10 years with Mary Margaret Wurm. Of all the memories, Hickory BBQ will always be the warmest!

Bbq1945

Post Number: 9
Posted on Friday, November 09, 2007 - 2:13 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

My father & mother started the Hickory BBQ. It went thru a couple of people before Mildred took it over. Do you remember Cocoa Joe? I worked Fridays after school and Saturdays all day long. Did everything but wait on tables. My grandfather built the tables in the dining room. My son and I tried to go back years later to buy one but it had been closed and looked vacant. My folks had two restaurants at one time. The other one was around Forest & Gratiot.

Grizzly

Post Number: 3
Posted on Friday, November 09, 2007 - 7:09 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Who could forget Joe? He was quite a character, and sounded a lot gruffer than he really was. I never really became a regular at the BBQ until Millie took over; she was one helluva gin player!

Bbq1945

Post Number: 10
Posted on Friday, November 09, 2007 - 8:07 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The Hickory BBQ certainly had an interesting cast of characters. The owners, workers, and customers would make a great sitcom. Mildred also had a sister Dorothy. Did you know her too?

Grizzly

Post Number: 4
Posted on Saturday, November 10, 2007 - 9:54 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Millie spoke of her, but I don't remember meeting her. A great sitcom is right! I remember playing gin with Millie and some of Detroit's finest, and the cooler full of beer in the back. And even though I don't think it was BBQ policy, I know Millie would accept some delivery orders, and any of us hangers-on were picked to deliver. I was chaufferred to and from a delivery one time by the cops in their squad car. The more I read here, the more I remember...

Dorothyd
Username: Dorothyd

Posted on Saturday, November 10, 2007 - 4:18 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Bbq1945: Sorry about driving your mother nuts with our calls, but I am not sure exactly which one you were; and no, I do not remember any sort of encounter in the alley behind my house. What year did this happen? I was told to ask you if you knew the Lopez family on Seminole.

Grizzly: I knew you would have more memories of the area than I do.

Did anybody else spend time at the Dawn theater for the Saturday matinees? How about the Mark Twain Library? I remember it being so big for a neighborhood branch library. I drive past it a couple times a week now and it is sad to see it sitting there unused.

Grizzly

Post Number: 5
Posted on Sunday, November 11, 2007 - 9:17 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Dorothyd, there were plenty of altercations behind your house - I got hit in the head by a thrown brick there myself! (It broke the brick...) And ,yes, the Dawn was the closest for the Saturday matinees, but in those days we were quite willing to walk to the Eastown, Van Dyke, Harper, Rivola, Rialto - there were plenty of nabes, but I don't know how many were left by the time you were allowed to go! I haven't driven by the library for six or seven years, but it was in rather shoddy shape then, even. I loved it to the tune of 5 or 6 books a week - and they NEVER restricted me to the children's section; I could take out any books I wanted. By the way, that enclosed fire-escape/slide at the back of Barbour was a great place to bring an adventurous girl - nobody need ever know what went on at the top on the weekends...CU@TSO!

Bbq1945

Post Number: 11
Posted on Monday, November 12, 2007 - 12:03 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Dorothy: Yes, I knew Joe Lopez, and his cousins that lived upstairs - Andy & Frank Pando. There also was another Lopez family towards Warren on Seminole - Anna Marie & Josephin.

Bbq1945

Post Number: 12
Posted on Thursday, November 15, 2007 - 1:15 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Dorothy:

Did you know a friend of mine - Gary Hayward?

Bbq1945

Post Number: 13
Posted on Friday, November 16, 2007 - 12:14 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Does anyone remember going to Salem Lutheran Church - directly across the street from Hilger? Big church, private school, great gym, and even had a bowling alley in the basement! One of my early jobs was setting pins - hard work but fun - for 10 cents a game. A guy we called "killer" used to bowl as soon as we set the pins down - trying to mess us kids up - and good. No OSHA at that time - you were on your own. Made you a very fast pin setter. Most people have never had this type of experience. Pins flying, bowling balls coming down the alley as fast as possible, machinery all over the place. Memories!

Dorothyd

Posted on Friday, November 16, 2007 - 2:04 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Bbq: The name Gary Hayward does not ring a bell with me. But I do have a girlfriend who went to Salem school (and still attends reunions for the church) for a short time in the 50's. She and her brother had just moved to Detroit from New York and attended the school until later entering and graduating from Denby.

Bbq1945

Post Number: 14
Posted on Monday, November 19, 2007 - 11:39 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Does anyone remember Bob Jackson, the boxer, that lived in the apartment complex across from the Hickory? There was also a girl and her younger brother that lived in that building. I believe she was called "Butchie".

Grizzly

Post Number: 8
Posted on Tuesday, November 20, 2007 - 7:37 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I vaguely remember a girl nick-named "Butchie", but the boxer doesn't ring any bells with me. Seems to me I also remember a funeral parlor there, on the Forest side...

Grill
Username: Grill

Post Number: 1
Posted on Tuesday, November 20, 2007 - 9:14 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Unfortunately, Bob Jackson and Butchie (Virginia) both died years ago.

Bbq1945

Post Number: 15
Posted on Tuesday, November 20, 2007 - 8:53 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I remember them fondly. Sorry to hear of their pasting. I live on the west coast so I only remember the old times and don't know much about the recent past. I guess that many of the people I knew are no longer with us. Sad but true! So I have to raise my glass to those that are no longer with us - and wish the rest of us the warmest Thanksgiving filled with love and happiness.

Caldogven
Username: Caldogven

Post Number: 135
Posted on Wednesday, November 21, 2007 - 12:06 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Bbg1945
Where are you on the west coast?

Grizzly

Posted on Wednesday, November 21, 2007 - 8:41 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Bbq1945
Remembering the old times is for the best. From what I've seen on the times I've passed through, recent history has decidedly not been very kind to the old neighborhood - about all that's left are the memories...

Bbq1945

Post Number: 16
Posted on Wednesday, November 21, 2007 - 1:24 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Caldogven:

I live near Seattle. Joined the Air Force and moved out of Detroit in 1967. Moved back in 1971 and moved back to the state of Washington in 1974. Still have lots of family in Michigan so I visit at least once a year. How about you?

Caldogven

Post Number: 136
Posted on Wednesday, November 21, 2007 - 8:47 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Bbg1945 -
I lived on Pennsylvania off of Warren until 1960. Got married lived on Drexel til 1962, moved to Roseville and then to Ventura Ca.in 1977. I have a lot of family in D also. Love to get back whenever, but saddened to see what it has become! But like Grizzly ,I have my memories. Did you know the Calvins, Zindas, or Schroeders?

Bbq1945

Post Number: 17
Posted on Thursday, November 22, 2007 - 11:34 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I knew Pat Schroeder and she had a younger brother - I believe his name is Donnie. Other people that lived on Van Dyke between Forest and Warren include: Ronnie Johnson, Gary Hayward, & a girl named Joanne!

Caldogven

Post Number: 137
Posted on Friday, November 23, 2007 - 1:02 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Bbq1945
I'm probably a few years older than you.
I used to be at the Schroeder house quite often in the fifties. After more than fifty years, I recently made contact with Rita and Diane through this site.
Would Ronnie Johnson be Bonnys' brother?

Bbq1945

Post Number: 18
Posted on Saturday, November 24, 2007 - 11:40 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Ronnie lived about 5 houses from Warren on the west side of Van Dyke. He joined the Coast Guard (a smart move) when he was old enough. He never hung around the Hickory. Gary Hayward lived next door. All three of us were born in 1944-1945.

Caldogven

Post Number: 138
Posted on Sunday, November 25, 2007 - 10:48 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Bbq1945
Did Ronnie have a sister Bonny?

Bbq1945

Post Number: 19
Posted on Monday, November 26, 2007 - 9:56 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Caldogven: I think that Ronnie had a sister but I don't remember anything about her. Where did you live in the old neighborhood? And what year were you born? And where did you go to school?

Caldogven

Post Number: 139
Posted on Monday, November 26, 2007 - 10:34 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Bbq1945
I talked to Rita Schroeder today, she said Ronnie is Bonnys' brother. I live on Pennsylvania two houses from Warren towards Forest until nineteen sixty. At times the street was two way, then one-way from Forest to Warren, and then other times Warren to Forest. There was a big sewer project in the middle of the street when they were building the Lodge. I was born on St Joseph street just off of Mack and Elmwood in nineteen thirty nine. I went to Harris, Markhausen, Barbour, Eastern, and Wilbur Wright.
Because Wright was an all-city school I had a lot of friends scattered all over Detroit, especially in the area of Warren and Forest, between Gratiot and Alter Road and Harper and Jefferson. Did you know any of the Vollmers who lived on Seneca off of Warren?

Bbq1945

Post Number: 20
Posted on Tuesday, November 27, 2007 - 2:07 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Caldogven: I went to Concordia Lutheran on Cadillac & Sylvester for the 7th & 8th grade. Close to your house. My brother Bob was born in 1939 and went to Barbour, St. Catherin's, and Eastern. He had a huge group of friends that lived all over the area. I think it was kind of a tough bunch of guys but the neighborhood was really changing and you already know - it wasn't always easy. I went to Eastern in the 9th grade - not the best place for me at the time. Seneca was just a few streets from my house but kids from other streets didn't seem to hang around together much. Sounds kinda weird but that's the way it was. Our country needs more Wilbur Wright types of schools in my opinion. No I don't remember the Vollmers. Did you know a guy named "Bullets" that hung around Forest and Van Dyke?

Grizzly

Posted on Tuesday, November 27, 2007 - 8:05 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Bbq1945: Agreed: the people I knew who went to Cass Tech, for example, always got along better with others, while those of us who went to the area schools formed our own cliques and protected our own "turf". I remember things getting quite physical at times between the rougher set at St, Catherine and their counterparts at Barbour and Eastern. Even in mid-century, this was primarily a racial divide, but there was also a "my street vs. your street" state of mind: as an individual, I could hang with friends who lived on Van Dyke, Seminole, Seneca, or even Crane - but when I was with my other street mates, the groups from other streets were rivals!
Caldogven: I was born a year before you, and we were living on Cadillac near Vernor at the time, but moved to Maxwell before I was a year old. The Schroeder I knew was Rosalie, and she lived closer to St. Kate. Unlike you and Bbq1945, I never left Wayne County until 1990, except for a USN vacation in 1956 and 57. We still own a house in the 8 Mile and Dequindre area, but I am now a "country boy"; I get agoraphobia when I go into the "big city" of Mt. Clemens, St. Claire or Port Huron!

Bbq1945

Post Number: 21
Posted on Tuesday, November 27, 2007 - 12:05 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Grizzly: You must have known Clifford Terry and Sammy G - they both worked at the Hickory and around your age group.

Grizzly

Post Number: 11
Posted on Friday, November 30, 2007 - 8:15 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Bbq1945: the names ring a bell, but I can't place them with any faces. But, then, I make no claims for any powers of observance. I can also remember the pool hall about half way between Van Dyke and Maxwell, and shooting a few games there, but I only remember one of the regulars there. I have more recall about the "Rose Garden", the basement bar across the street from the pool hall, but that's because I spent more time and had more fun there!

Bbq1945

Post Number: 22
Posted on Friday, November 30, 2007 - 11:34 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Grizzly: Maybe you remember my brother in law - Ray Vizzaccaro. A regular at the pool hall and Rose Garden. He attended St. Catherine's.

Grizzly

Posted on Saturday, December 01, 2007 - 8:59 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Bbq1945: The name is familiar from the pool hall, not the school. I "graduated" to DeLaSalle after the tenth grade since the nuns and I no longer got along. If Ray was a reg at the Rose Garden, I presume he was not a "Family" member; many of the pool players were; it was primarily an Italian hang-out, and I was there as a guest of some of the regulars. The Rose Garden group was mainly a different bunch, and was grouped around a cadre of us "regulars", who quite often extended the festivities upstairs, where Rosie could keep the beer coming since it was NOT a commercial establishment. Damn! Sometimes I miss those days...

Bbq1945

Post Number: 23
Posted on Thursday, December 06, 2007 - 8:03 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Family member? Do you mean like with the mob? Don't know and wouldn't say if I did! Forest was a pretty bad place to hang around when I turned 18 and old enough to get into a pool hall. So we always played at a place on Chene. I miss the old time places - they used to rack the balls for you for .10 a game. I remember the B Bar right down the street - used to go in there when I was just a kid because my friend's father used to frequent the joint. You might remember Jerry McHenry - lived on the corner of Forest & Seminole. My friend was his younger brother - Bill. Do you remember Art (from the gas station on Forest & Seyborn (don't remember how to spell it) that had the real nice 1956 Blue Ford - it was beautiful. My friend Bill bought it

Caldogven

Post Number: 140
Posted on Thursday, December 06, 2007 - 9:42 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Grizzly - Bbq
Did either of you ever go to the small halls on Forest between Mc Clellan and Cooper? Or Forest and Pennsylvania, or the bigger Pete's on Warren and St. Jean?

Grizzly

Post Number: 13
Posted on Friday, December 07, 2007 - 8:26 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Bbq, you caught my family reference correctly; I was a soldier for a while. The McHenry name is familiar, and my westward adventures never got further than Van Dyke on Forest, so that Seyburn corner was alien to me. I roamed as far west as Townsend, etc., along Harper, cuz I went with a girl from that area for a while.
Caldogven, my eastward ramblings did not include anything past Crane or Rohns on Forest; I did frequent the Mack-Cadillac bar, and I remember a pizza place on Warren and McClellan (They used to let us pour our own wine into their coffee cups; they were not licensed!)

Bbq1945

Post Number: 24
Posted on Monday, December 10, 2007 - 5:52 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

For pizza we used to order from Carbone's on Mack. Although we went to Ernie's in the Warren Grand Blvd. area too! Chinese food was the Golden Parrot on Gratiot near St. Anthony's. I can almost smell the memories!

Bbq1945

Post Number: 25
Posted on Thursday, December 13, 2007 - 2:09 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I wonder what life is like on Forest & Van Dyke today. The old neighborhood is probably not looking to good. And that's a shame! What happened to our homes? Our lives? I would think that walking or driving down my street of Seminole between Forest & Warren could be very dangerous. Why is that? I live in the Seattle area and can walk just about any place I want to without a big problem. Why does Detroit have such a negative reputation?

Bbq1945

Post Number: 26
Posted on Thursday, December 13, 2007 - 2:22 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Dorothy:

It doesn't seem that you remember me - and that's Ok - girls and guys think differently - and that's a fact! Our neighborhood had so many kids around that it was absolutely impossible to keep track of everybody. It was a real nice place to grow up until the area changed. I still think about the old times - maybe I'm a romantic - and miss the feeling of having close neighbors that I care about.

Grizzly

Post Number: 14
Posted on Thursday, December 13, 2007 - 9:38 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Bbq, I don't think you'd want to walk the old haunts today. The last time I drove down Maxwell between Forest and Warren, I had young hoods running alongside my car cursing and yelling "Honky go home!". The reputation is as bad in the southeast Michigan area as it is around the country. A few years back, a top seller in the area around the city was a t-shirt that said "I am so tough I take my vacations in Detroit"; I haven't seen this around lately, however. And it is NOT the whole city: before we moved to the farmland in 1990, we lived in the 8-Mile and Dequindre area. We were the only white family on our block, but we had no fear of taking evening walks or being out late at night, and we still keep in touch with our old neighbors there and go back to the block fairly often (We still own the house, and take care of some of the maintenance). Some neighborhoods go bad, but some don't - what more can I say?
As for Dorothyd, she and I are well acquainted; we both lived on Maxwell between Forest and Warren. A guy at that time moved around more than a girl did and got to know and hang with individuals in a wider area. The girls pretty much stayed on their own block, and hung with the other girls there. I notice that, a month or so ago, when she was mentioning the people she knew, she specified only the names of other girls who lived on Maxwell between Forest and Warren...
Hmmm. I do ramble!

Bbq1945

Post Number: 27
Posted on Monday, December 17, 2007 - 11:22 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Grizzly:

It's been driving me crazy trying to figure out who you are! It's possible that you went to the Hickory and played cards with Mildred before I worked there but I still knew just about everybody. You know my Mother - Irene, Cocoa Joe, but you don't remember Clifford Terry. You went to Wayne State (and I did too) and not to many of the neighborhood people did. You hung around the pool hall and the Rose Garden. What is your identity? Give me some more clues.

Grizzly

Post Number: 15
Posted on Tuesday, December 18, 2007 - 9:35 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Bbq1945: 'way back in the dim, deep past, a couple of youths from Seminole decided to see what they could get from a Maxwell resident. What they got was a shot over their heads. Now, is that a clue or is that a clue? BTW, your mother told me that it was what they deserved. I was probably at Wayne at the same time you were; I guess that the seven-year age difference between us is irrelevant, since I went in the service right after high school and didn't start college until 1960, and I was there until 1973 or 74. As for names of people, there were many who a guy would meet and recognize without even knowing their names - it was just "Hey, Buddy!" or "How ya doing?" Example: I know your last name because you have mentioned that Irene is your mother, but I have no recollection of your first name! Such is life...Happy holidays to you and yours!

Bbq1945

Post Number: 28
Posted on Tuesday, December 18, 2007 - 10:01 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Grizzly:

No - that's not a clue! I don't remember ever hearing of such a thing! I graduated from Wayne in 1972 even though I started college at Macomb in 1963. Got married, 3 kids, 4 years of Air Force - sometimes it takes a long time to accomplish your goals! Merry Christmas to the entire old neighborhood!

Grizzly

Post Number: 16
Posted on Tuesday, December 25, 2007 - 9:43 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hey! Hope you all are having a Merry Merry and a Happy Happy!

Dorothyd

Posted on Tuesday, December 25, 2007 - 5:49 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

In relation to an earlier post by Bbq1945, it was nice living in a neighborhood (I guess it was the times, also) where you knew your neighbors and everybody else's mother was as likely to scold me if caught doing something wrong as was my own mother. Several neighbors would gather on the steps of someone's porch (and steps or stoop) on summer nights just talking. Would wake up and run outside on summer mornings and see who was out already or just stand by their house and yell their name to see if they could come out.

Bbq1945

Post Number: 29
Posted on Wednesday, January 09, 2008 - 9:06 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I just found out from my sister that Sam Baffo has a new computer. Anybody remember him? He is a great guy that lived on Seminole just down the street from my house. Hello Sam!

Grizzly

Post Number: 17
Posted on Friday, January 11, 2008 - 2:02 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

That name rings no bell with me, Bbq1945. I remember a Herb Schervish (sp?) from about mid-block on Seminole, but I was a Maxwell brat...

Bbq1945

Post Number: 30
Posted on Friday, January 11, 2008 - 5:05 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Herb, Tom, and David Schervish are brothers and lived across the street from me. They moved to Grosse Pointe a long time before the rest of us got out of the old neighborhood. Sam drove a very nice black, convertible Corvair when they first came out. Wish I had one just like it today. I believe he is married to a girl named Sandy. Drove a Budweiser truck for a long time.

Grizzly

Post Number: 18
Posted on Saturday, January 12, 2008 - 10:38 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The only one I really knew was Herb. We went to school together. He was one of the good guys.

Bbq1945

Post Number: 31
Posted on Sunday, January 13, 2008 - 2:10 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Did you also know Art Tisdale or the Bringards? If you took the Detroit Free Press in the late 50's I was probably your carrier. I had one of the largest routes in the city. A very big job for a young kid. I also delivered the Detroit Times and Detroit News. The worst part of the job was trying to collect the money. Lots of people simply didn't want to pay. But it was quite an experience.

Grizzly

Post Number: 19
Posted on Sunday, January 13, 2008 - 9:01 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I knew Art on an in-passing "Hi" basis. I was in the service in 1956/7, and the family moved to the Gratiot/Outer Drive area about then so I can't say you were our Freep carrier. I hung in the old neighborhood a lot even after the move, though, and even after I moved to the WSU campus area. (I can't say I would go back now, though!)

Grizzly

Post Number: 20
Posted on Monday, January 14, 2008 - 9:21 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

BTW, did Art have a brother named Ray? I also seem to remember an Irish family on Seminole, with two or three brothers that I think were older than me...

Bbq1945

Post Number: 32
Posted on Monday, January 14, 2008 - 10:02 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Don't remember any Irish family. Starting at Forest and on the side of the street with the shared alley with Maxwell there were the McHenry's, unknown, Pando's/Lopez's, vacant lot, Cosentino's, several unknowns, Bringards, an old lady we called the "Crap", Schervish's, Haywards, unknown, Lopez's, Grahams (you might have known Judy - one eye was blue, and the other brown & super nice girl), the Grahams had a type of foster home, and the rest unknown. If they had kids I knew them!

Caldogven

Post Number: 149
Posted on Tuesday, January 15, 2008 - 8:42 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Bbq1945
Did you know of the Vollmers on Buscemis on Seneca or maybe Seminole or Iriquois, north of Warren?

Bbq1945

Post Number: 33
Posted on Wednesday, January 16, 2008 - 12:00 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

What age group would they be in? I might remember them if they went to Hilger and in my age group - born around 1945. I suppose I knew most of the children at Hilger if they were my age. I was the flag boy, video guy, and safety patrol while at Hilger. Loved the school, the teachers, and the whole experience. I never went to Barbour (?) since my Mother enrolled me in a great private school for 7th & 8th grade - Concordia Lutheran. Went to Eastern High School for the 9th grade - what a shock that was!