Discuss Detroit » Hall of Fame Threads » Detnews: Det close to snagging Quicken » Archive through August 24, 2007 « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Digitalvision
Username: Digitalvision

Post Number: 283
Posted on Thursday, August 16, 2007 - 5:34 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

It's great to speculate, but I read "no imminent" and "tied to arena" meaning it's going to be a minute, as well.

I'm not holding my breath - downtown's resurgence would be helped by Quicken, but QL not coming down ain't gonna stop it. I have this thing in my head that in five years, it's going to be past the "tipping point" where things start rolling like gangbusters.

Iheartthed
Username: Iheartthed

Post Number: 1386
Posted on Thursday, August 16, 2007 - 5:41 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Actually... I'm curious of how this whole tightening of credit will affect downtown redevelopment. That to me seems to be just as detrimental as a no-go on the Quicken move.

Johnlodge
Username: Johnlodge

Post Number: 1875
Posted on Friday, August 17, 2007 - 12:23 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

http://www.detnews.com/apps/pb cs.dll/article?AID=/20070817/O PINION03/708170383

"As a credit squeeze tightens and some prominent mortgage lenders teeter on the edge of default, the chairman of Livonia-based Quicken Loans Inc. says rumors that his empire is quaking are "100 percent completely false."
In an interview Thursday, Quicken Chairman Dan Gilbert said the lender that last year closed $18 billion in loans doesn't "have any issues" that could imperil the health of one of Michigan's few economic bright spots -- and what is likely to be Detroit's next corporate citizen.
Talks over moving Quicken's suburban headquarters to downtown Detroit -- most likely to the Statler site on Grand Circus Park -- are complex and continuing. But Gilbert isn't keen to talk about them, especially not amid roiling credit markets gutting investor confidence and raising understandable questions about the stability of Quicken.
"We have some loans we had to take a loss on," he told me, evidently trying to sound both realistic and reassuring, "but we're working through that. Our volumes are probably off 20 percent from our peak. The whole industry is in a fetal position right now.""

Kenp
Username: Kenp

Post Number: 743
Posted on Friday, August 24, 2007 - 8:59 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

http://www.freep.com/apps/pbcs .dll/article?AID=/20070824/BUS INESS04/708240396/1002

Johnlodge

Post Number: 2062
Posted on Friday, August 24, 2007 - 9:23 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

^ That article is brought to you by the Department of Redundancy Department (makers of the Hot Water Heater).

Ramcharger
Username: Ramcharger

Post Number: 428
Posted on Friday, August 24, 2007 - 9:27 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

"Bill Hartman, manager of the Gensler architectural firm's downtown office, agreed. He said that the Hudson's site would reinforce the new development on Woodward, including Campus Martius Park and the Compuware headquarters, both located north of the site."

Someone has a very bad sense of direction.

Quinn
Username: Quinn

Post Number: 1446
Posted on Friday, August 24, 2007 - 9:52 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

What a lame-ass teaser story.

Please, someone shoot me.

Mackinaw
Username: Mackinaw

Post Number: 3628
Posted on Friday, August 24, 2007 - 11:03 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Basically it's this thread, without the bullshit, put into the Detroit News. Ugh.

Quinn

Post Number: 1447
Posted on Friday, August 24, 2007 - 11:47 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Right, Lowell should be co-credited on this story.

Rocket_city
Username: Rocket_city

Post Number: 367
Posted on Friday, August 24, 2007 - 11:54 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'm sure there is a detroityes task force hired by Gilbert to visit this site to formulate stories with the news media that are designed in such a way that it drives the urban enthusiasts completely mad. The next article will be this same one only stuffed in a barrel of monkeys barrel, shaken, and reworded. :-)

Quozl
Username: Quozl

Post Number: 1295
Posted on Friday, August 24, 2007 - 12:13 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

Right, Lowell should be co-credited on this story.

You cannot be serious Quinn, there is no evidence in John Gallagher's article that he used this thread as the source and condensed it.

This website is the furthest thing from being a player or a source to be reckoned with in "Detroit development circles."

Detroitrulez
Username: Detroitrulez

Post Number: 361
Posted on Friday, August 24, 2007 - 12:25 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

you take that back Quetzelquozl!!

Johnlodge

Post Number: 2073
Posted on Friday, August 24, 2007 - 12:33 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

It's not the FURTHEST thing. The furthest thing is ShanghaiYES.

Quozl

Post Number: 1296
Posted on Friday, August 24, 2007 - 12:34 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

No way Detroitrulez, I speak the truth.

If you are a still thirsty, I am making a fresh pitcher of the good stuff. What do you prefer, Cherry or Lemon-Lime?

(Message edited by quozl on August 24, 2007)

Digitalvision
Username: Digitalvision

Post Number: 300
Posted on Friday, August 24, 2007 - 12:49 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hey, Hey...

I have no misconceptions on what this forum is - I know it's read by some, but I don't think it's a player, it's another source of information/peanut gallery so I'm sure it has some indirect impact.

However, that said, we're a good looking, dashing, and smart peanut gallery :-)

Quinn

Post Number: 1449
Posted on Friday, August 24, 2007 - 12:58 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

How is it any different, Quetzoquatl?

It's all speculation, just like this thread. No confirmed "debate" in Gilberts head, just people speculating that it's a really hard decision. Unless you know Dan, and know he's seriously debating (and having a hard time deciding) between the two sites, it's all conjecture. Even if you did, there's no quote from anyone named Dan Gilbert, or anyone with authority to speak on his behalf, that says, "I'm having a tough time deciding."

Christ.

There's no difference between that lame "non-story" and this most excellent FORUM thread. And don't go throwing Jackson's name around...I'm beginning to think he's a total nincompoop who doesn't know his "a" from a hole in the ground.

quote:

^ That article is brought to you by the Department of Redundancy Department (makers of the Hot Water Heater).

Amen.

Johnlodge

Post Number: 2074
Posted on Friday, August 24, 2007 - 1:10 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Quinn, you're just worried that Qwiggen will never move in.

Gistok
Username: Gistok

Post Number: 5171
Posted on Friday, August 24, 2007 - 1:10 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

2 interesting things about the article...

1) walking... Statler block is 5 blocks from Campus Martius. Who needs Campus Martius park when you have big GCP right in front of you. It's currently underutilized (except for panhandlers). The Statler redevelopment would help the commercial strip along northern Woodward south of GCP.

2) Quicken doesn't want to be 2nd fiddle to Compuware. For 3000-5000 employees he'd be stuck building a big box (no more than the 15 floor height restrictions) on the Hudsons site. Then his box would be 2nd fiddle to the big box next door that Compuware built right on Campus Martius.

The Statler site gives him options just not available to the Hudson site. 1) a nearby theatre (possible naming rights... since Mr. Gilbert wanted residential and entertainment as part of a new HQ), 2) the possibility of a PM Station (either via skywalk to Whitney Bldg., or one on the Statler block where the PM track cross over the propert in the SW corner), 3) building a HQ not hindered by height restrictions.

Some would argue that a PM station built on Statler block would be too close to the GCP and Times Sq. station. But there are other stations that are much closer to each other than a Bagley station would be. Millender/Renaissance and Times Sq./Michigan are 2 of the more obvious. Even Bricktown/Greektown may be closer. One has to realize that from GCP station the tracks cross Washington Blvd., the widest of the GCP thoroughfares, then wrap around 2 sides of the large Statler block before ever getting to a possible new PM station. It would help out not only Quicken, but also other buildings along Bagley... which incidentally should have had a station all along with all the massive buildings along that street (well the Tuller and Statler are gone now, but it used to have the most massive street wall outside of the Financial district).

Quozl

Post Number: 1298
Posted on Friday, August 24, 2007 - 2:02 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

How is it any different, Quetzoquatl?

The story is speculation Quinn, but let us examine the FACTS: Gallagher quoted everyone he referenced in writing his article.

Clearly if John Gallagher spoke with Boileau in the course of writing his article and used his speculative opinion, Boileau would have been quoted. Therefore, deductive reasoning has me conclude that Boileau does not need to be "co-credited for the story."

Plain and simple logic Quinn, not rocket science.

Quetzoquatl? Thanks for the kind title dude, but I am not a supreme personality or godhead.

Quinn

Post Number: 1450
Posted on Friday, August 24, 2007 - 2:32 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

How long did it take you to look that up?

Okay, enough put-downs.

Do you seriously think that I think he took info from this thread? I think that you think that I think John Gallagher thinks what he wrote is a story, when alls I'm saying is I think he wrote a non-story. And I think that you think that everyone thinks this piece of the "Quicken-thread" is serious, when in reality I think that they think when I wrote "give Lowell co-credit" that I was not serious.

Lets all calm down (by all I mean you Quozl)

I'm starting to think you are Gallagher. Wait...that would mean that he was influence by this thread. Hmm...I think thou doth protest too much.

French777
Username: French777

Post Number: 219
Posted on Friday, August 24, 2007 - 2:58 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I didn't know that the city would sell the underground parking garage with the Hudson's site.

Also the article said something about if they are at the statler site they would be on their own turf and on woodward they would be close to Compuware.

Who cares?

Johnlodge

Post Number: 2076
Posted on Friday, August 24, 2007 - 2:58 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Don't worry, every post from the last article down will be deleted the next time this thread gets cleaned. ;) As well they should be!

Quozl

Post Number: 1299
Posted on Friday, August 24, 2007 - 3:07 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

It is all good Quinn. I agree, John's article is a non-story.

JL: Rewriting history with selective editing is not a good mechanism to record the pulse of how we feel about Detroit. It harbors distrust in the individuals who actively participate or simply lurk here and the practice needs to stop.

Ndavies
Username: Ndavies

Post Number: 2736
Posted on Friday, August 24, 2007 - 3:12 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Every line in the latest article was told to us by skulker well over 2 years ago. There is nothing new in this article

Johnlodge

Post Number: 2077
Posted on Friday, August 24, 2007 - 3:13 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Well, I know some pointless arguments between only two people that went on for many many posts have been removed, and it was fine with me, because I think it shows a better record of our true discussion. Its easy for two people to go off on tangents and clutter up the conversation.

Gistok

Post Number: 5175
Posted on Friday, August 24, 2007 - 3:19 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

However, the practice of juvenile behavior on this forum should also be stopped. Way to much Ad Hominem, and infantile comments. Or when business owners such as Tony Pieroni post here seriously and get insulted by other posters. Rather than letting this forum stoop to the level of Hot Fudge, I think that the "culling" of dumb posts is not that bad of an idea.

Lowell is only trying to keep Discuss Detroit from going down the toilet like the Non-Detroit issues.

I'm sure that there are some serious folks who are fed up with immature posts, and gave up on the entire forum.

I would rather keep the serious folks on board, than the ones who's number of noncontributory posts exceeds the number of their posts that actually have something to contribute.

Detroitrulez
Username: Detroitrulez

Post Number: 362
Posted on Friday, August 24, 2007 - 3:23 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Aren't you going off on a tangent by posting repeatedly about others going off on a tangent (and moi aussi)? It is a recursive nightmare, tangents on top of tangents.

Not unlike rampant speculation about Dan Gilbert's speculation....speculating about speculating....I think I'll go put on my bottomless lederhosen and walk around GCP again. Maybe some Yankee fans will be in town.

Gistok

Post Number: 5176
Posted on Friday, August 24, 2007 - 3:37 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

... and speaking of tangents I wonder just how many of your 362 posts are unviewable (such as your lederhosen)? :-)

But you're right, we are beating a dead horse... and then the insults start flying. And then we have images of Aretha Franklin in a near wardrobe malfunction... Steve Wilson on Waikiki in a Speedo chasing Monica Conyers with a microphone, and now you traipsing around GCP... unthinkable....

(Message edited by Gistok on August 24, 2007)

Swingline
Username: Swingline

Post Number: 881
Posted on Friday, August 24, 2007 - 3:40 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

There is nothing wrong with Mr. Gallagher's story in today's Free Press. Complainers who are pointing to absence of new information need to quickly come up for some air.

First, the story is not intended as a "news" story, it is an analysis and commentary. Second, just because some of the issues discussed in the analysis may have received discussion already in the local real estate industry and even on this forum doesn't make the story stale, obvious or "lame." The column was intended for a general readership daily newspaper. The fine nuances of the Quicken HQ debate may be obvious to frequent posters on this forum, but they are quite obscure to the average SE Michigan resident who picks up the newspaper for a daily read.

Stories like this one highlight important business and planning issues for an area that would like to continue playing in the big leagues. We should expect and welcome stories and analyses in our daily newspapers (the quality of which many of us are always complaining about) that progress beyond glorified television news reporting. Blasting such stories simply because they don't break new ground for a tiny cognoscenti is stupid.

Quinn

Post Number: 1451
Posted on Friday, August 24, 2007 - 3:42 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'm for letting people say what they want, in any manor they want, up to but not including profanity, because neither you, Gistok, nor me...or even Lowell can say what is going on in someone's head better than they can. That's what makes it so great. Free speech.

Now, this thread is a private one, not a democratic one. I respect Lowell's decision to remove posts (even had some of my own removed) even when I wholeheartedly disagree. This is his space to do with what he wants, and his space to set the rules.

(Message edited by quinn on August 24, 2007)