Discuss Detroit » Hall of Fame Threads » Work @ the Book Cadillac » Archive through August 14, 2007 « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Beantown
Username: Beantown

Post Number: 55
Posted on Friday, July 27, 2007 - 6:12 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

While some floors are mezzanine floors as you suggest, that is not the source for the blueprint/rendering discrepancy in this case. Both the Italian Garden and Grand Ballroom will have "mezzanine" floors open to below, exactly as you say. In fact, a portion of the 3rd floor of the building addition also is open to the 2nd floor below, likely indicating a 2-story ballroom there (although I cannot recall for sure).

But when an engineering drawing with a cross-section of the 4th floor shows a roof on the building addition, and shows nothing (air) on the 5th floor over the building addition, it is pretty clear...

Gistok
Username: Gistok

Post Number: 4965
Posted on Friday, July 27, 2007 - 9:32 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yup, sounds like it to me...

By the way, there is another ballroom planned in the addition that is supposed to be larger than the Grand Ballroom.

Wschnitt
Username: Wschnitt

Post Number: 12
Posted on Sunday, July 29, 2007 - 6:26 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The Book Cadillac really seems to over shadow the Fort Shelby work.

Why do people think that is?
Why did the Fort Shelby deal seem to come together much more easily than the B-C deal?

Lmichigan
Username: Lmichigan

Post Number: 5860
Posted on Sunday, July 29, 2007 - 7:18 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Well, for one, the B-C is larger and more grand. The B-C was and is on an entire different level; that seems pretty obvious, doesn't it?

Detroit313
Username: Detroit313

Post Number: 410
Posted on Sunday, July 29, 2007 - 7:41 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

It's like comparing the Ren Cen to the Ponch! <313>

Gistok
Username: Gistok

Post Number: 4977
Posted on Sunday, July 29, 2007 - 9:01 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The Fort-Shelby was a hotel of the Albert Pick Hotel chain, not exactly high end luxury like the Book Cadillac was. So attention to restoring luxury details at the B-C adds to the cost. Most of the Fort-Shelby didn't have much in opulent detailing.

And as has already been mentioned the sheer bulk of the B-C building is much larger (when it was built it was the worlds tallest hotel) than the Fort-Shelby. I don't remember the original room count for the Fort-Shelby, but the B-C originally had 1,200 rooms. It is massive.

Wschnitt

Post Number: 17
Posted on Monday, July 30, 2007 - 9:47 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I was very surprised to hear that public money was used in this project.

Are they any further details on how much public money was spent? I find this absurd.

Lmichigan

Post Number: 5870
Posted on Monday, July 30, 2007 - 9:58 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Where are you from? It can't be the United States. Public money is used on private projects all across the country as a tool to compete with suburban development.

Wschnitt

Post Number: 18
Posted on Monday, July 30, 2007 - 10:07 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Other than stadia, what are some examples of public money being spent on private developments?

Lmichigan

Post Number: 5872
Posted on Monday, July 30, 2007 - 10:19 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

What exactly are you defining as public money? I think my definition may be a bit more broad than your's.

(Message edited by lmichigan on July 30, 2007)

Wschnitt

Post Number: 19
Posted on Monday, July 30, 2007 - 10:24 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Ok that may be the case. Then what are the details of the public money spent on the Book Cadillac?

Burnsie
Username: Burnsie

Post Number: 1103
Posted on Tuesday, July 31, 2007 - 6:58 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Wschnitt, do some searches in the online index of the Free Press and you'll find everything you want to know. If you don't want to pay for the articles, you can look them up on microfilm at a library that carries it. http://nl.newsbank.com/nl-sear ch/we/Archives?s_site=freep&p_ product=FP&p_theme=gannett&p_a ction=keyword

Beantown
Username: Beantown

Post Number: 57
Posted on Tuesday, August 07, 2007 - 11:35 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

From today's Detroit News:
http://www.detnews.com/apps/pb cs.dll/article?AID=20077080703 33

Book Cadillac taking reservations for 2009

DETROIT -- The Westin Book Cadillac Detroit is taking bookings for Jan. 1, 2009, and beyond. The hotel's pre-opening office is scheduling meetings, events and banquets, and individual rooms will be booked starting later this year, according to Westin officials. The 455-room hotel offers 39,000 square feet of event and meeting space that includes three ballrooms and 11 meeting rooms. The downtown Detroit hotel opened in 1924 and is undergoing a $180 million renovation. "We have heard from all sales sectors, including corporate business for the 2009 North American International Auto Show," said Scott Stinebaugh, the hotel's marketing director. "On the social event side, a couple is planning a 2009 Valentine's Day weekend wedding to duplicate the groom's parents' wedding at the Book Cadillac 60 years ago."

I've really been impressed at how much better the exterior looks over the past couple of weeks since they have new windows in place up through the 28th floor. Also, yesterday I noticed the first steel beams being assembled for the building's north addition.

Hey, do any of you photographers have recent B-C photos that you can provide a link for?

Spiritofdetroit
Username: Spiritofdetroit

Post Number: 550
Posted on Tuesday, August 07, 2007 - 1:31 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

the new copper ziggaraut or however its spelled looks great.... and it appears the addition on top of the building for the penthouses I assume, is in place.... Looking nice. I noticed a couple other buildings across the street (one directly opposite the Holiday Inn) have some exterior work goin on...anyone know what thats about?

Scs100
Username: Scs100

Post Number: 1360
Posted on Tuesday, August 07, 2007 - 1:41 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The Archdiocese's building is being fixing the exterior. That's the one across the street.

Burnsie

Post Number: 1113
Posted on Tuesday, August 07, 2007 - 7:10 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The Archdiocese building is on the same side of Washington as the B-C. Do they have an additional building across the street?

Scs100

Post Number: 1362
Posted on Tuesday, August 07, 2007 - 7:15 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I thought it was the one across the street. Maybe I'm just thinking incorrectly.

EDIT: According to Google, it's on the opposite side.

(Message edited by SCS100 on August 07, 2007)

Downtownguy
Username: Downtownguy

Post Number: 43
Posted on Tuesday, August 07, 2007 - 7:20 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

^^The Archdiocese has offices in the building on the SW corner of Michigan and Washington Blvd. I assume that's the one getting the exterior work. You're probably thinking of St. Aloysius Church north of the BC.

Spiritofdetroit

Post Number: 552
Posted on Tuesday, August 07, 2007 - 7:20 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Its definitely on the same side.... This is an older office building, about 8 or 10 stories high having some work done to it

Scs100

Post Number: 1363
Posted on Tuesday, August 07, 2007 - 7:21 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

If you're talking to me, I definitely don't mean St. Aloysius.

Spiritofdetroit

Post Number: 553
Posted on Tuesday, August 07, 2007 - 7:31 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

downtownguy - thanks

Erikd
Username: Erikd

Post Number: 888
Posted on Tuesday, August 07, 2007 - 7:34 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The Gabriel Richard Building is the one undergoing exterior renovations.

Burnsie

Post Number: 1114
Posted on Tuesday, August 07, 2007 - 7:38 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The main Archdiocese offices are at 1234 Washington Blvd. (info from official website), the east side of the street. My mom has done research there.

Swiburn
Username: Swiburn

Post Number: 202
Posted on Friday, August 10, 2007 - 8:53 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The Archdiocese main office is at l234 Washington Blvd and they also have another office where they store boxes of school information.

Charlottepaul
Username: Charlottepaul

Post Number: 1408
Posted on Saturday, August 11, 2007 - 1:45 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

http://www.wxyz.com/news/story .aspx?content_id=faf066b8-3e49 -4f13-82b4-687ddad92680

Johnlodge
Username: Johnlodge

Post Number: 1671
Posted on Saturday, August 11, 2007 - 2:15 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Lookin' good! Nice to see sheet rock on some of the walls.

Burnsie

Post Number: 1125
Posted on Tuesday, August 14, 2007 - 7:41 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I was disappointed to find this info on the B-C page of emporis.com regarding the mechanical penthouse: "It was reconstructed 17 feet and 11.1 inches shorter, making the copper 'ziggurat' crowns the highest points of the structure."

I thought that use of historic tax credits was supposed to have prohibited this sort of exterior alteration. Why is it not being reconstructed to the full height?

Mauser765
Username: Mauser765

Post Number: 1816
Posted on Tuesday, August 14, 2007 - 8:06 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Wasnt that just the radio station up there ?

Burnsie

Post Number: 1126
Posted on Tuesday, August 14, 2007 - 8:16 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

No, this was the top of the tall shaft that contained the boiler flue and service elevators, with big arches above some of the top windows. The arrow in the following pic points to it.

http://www.dkpdetroit.com/bc/s tott_view.jpg

Rbdetsport
Username: Rbdetsport

Post Number: 373
Posted on Tuesday, August 14, 2007 - 9:46 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I would rather have the ziggaurts be seen as what they were intended to be. The focal point of the top of the hotel.