Discuss Detroit » Hall of Fame Threads » Fort Wayne » Sad news to report from Historic Fort Wayne.... « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Usnsubvet77
Username: Usnsubvet77

Post Number: 42
Posted on Thursday, October 04, 2007 - 9:12 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

On a sad note to report from Fort Wayne. I was informed yesterday by a staff member at Fort Wayne that the demolition company has arrived on site to work with the Army Corps of Engineers to demolish the hospital building. The hospital building is scheduled for demolition starting Oct 9. The project will last a few days.

We had known this was potentially going to happen for a few months now, but never really thought time would go by so quickly.

The city of Detroit and State Historical Dept. had determined, with little difficulty, the danger and lack of ability to save this once beautiful structure. Construction of the hospital began in 1890. It was expanded in 1898 to better accommodate patients and saw use through the 1960’s I believe.

These pictures I took of the hospital were dated from Feb and Aug 2007.

I am sorry to report this to you all. Rest assured, the Historic Fort Wayne Coalition is doing their very best to prevent the dilapidation of any other buildings on the Fort complex.

Historic Fort Wayne Coalition
Projects Committee - Secretary
www.historicfortwaynecoalition.com

Paulmcall
Username: Paulmcall

Post Number: 445
Posted on Thursday, October 04, 2007 - 9:23 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Reminds me of many other newer structures throughout the city.

Nanska
Username: Nanska

Post Number: 76
Posted on Thursday, October 04, 2007 - 9:27 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

It is so sad to see so many historically significant bldgs. going under the wrecking ball. Fort Wayne is a true treasure of the Detroit area that has been neglected for so long due to a lack of funds??? and interest ??? that I think that many more of its bldgs. are going to be eventually torn done. Shame.

Gazhekwe
Username: Gazhekwe

Post Number: 738
Posted on Thursday, October 04, 2007 - 9:32 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I know people used to go to Fort Wayne in the 60s for their draft physicals. Is that the building where they were done?

Usnsubvet77

Post Number: 43
Posted on Thursday, October 04, 2007 - 10:04 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Nanska - To briefly answer your question about why Fort Wayne has gone down the path it has is impossible. I suppose you can ask 100 different people and get 100 different answers as to why, all ranging from white flight and crime to Coleman Young and being in a “bad” area.

As of right now, the Fort is under the funding of the Parks and Rec dep. Since the Detroit Historical Museum had relinquished control of it. Unfortunately, this was a surprise addition to the Parks and Rec Dept., so their current funding levels are maxed out with this additional 250 acre complex to maintain.

During past administrations due to the cutbacks in historical/maintenance staff at the Fort, it was forced to close it’s doors to the public beyond special occasion, which were rare. The City could no longer afford to staff the Fort with maintenance and historic presenters / preservationists and that in a nutshell is how the Fort became what it is today.

Gazhekwe – I am not sure but I do believe that the hospital still served as a clinic and I would assume that is where most physicals were done for the inductees. I do know, though I cannot place the source of info, that the hospital ceased to function as a “hospital” after the Army personnel decreased and the dispensary served the local community instead.

The Three River’s Boy Scouts district last weekend uncovered a previously unknown limestone “street” that was believed to have been used during the construction of the 1848 barracks and Powder Magazine! This was found while excavating the limestone pathway leading to the flag pole.

Aside from the bad news of the hospital there are VERY very good, progressive and EXCITING things going on in the Fort!

(Message edited by usnsubvet77 on October 04, 2007)

Detroitsuperfly
Username: Detroitsuperfly

Post Number: 68
Posted on Thursday, October 04, 2007 - 11:11 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I have to agree that there are great things going on at the Fort. When I was there in the summer, the old part looked better than it has in decades, due the the renovations. Many of the residences outside the old fort are also being renovated. Some of the fort looked beyond disrepair. The hospital was one of them. But I left the fort with a positive feeling that it was mostly being taken care of. Give it another 5 years and the place will be a jewel.

Plymouthres
Username: Plymouthres

Post Number: 192
Posted on Thursday, October 04, 2007 - 11:52 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Detroitsuperfly-

Thanks for the kind words and I'm glad to know that people are paying attention! The hospital building was a great tragedy, as you mentioned, but was gone beyond any reasonable repair. As the "new" overseer's of the Fort, the Coalition is doing it's best to thwart the decay and we will be at it until we succeed! A new plan to save the remaining structures has been developed by the Coalition, and we will be implementing it before winter sets in.

Gazhekwe-

The hospital was used until the early 1970's just before closing as an Army post. My aunt used to have her ob/gyn visits there in the late fifties/early sixties, as her husband was active in the military then and the hospital and it's services were provided to the family members of those serving. And yes, many had there physicals there and remember the "experience" warmly!

I also remember my dad driving past the Fort in the early sixties when military personnel were still stationed there. The houses bordering Jefferson (along NCO row) were all occupied and the place was hopping!

There is also great news for the future of Fort Wayne that I will be posting on as events develope. Much attention has been paid by the Feds, State and City governments to the Fort lately and there is a plan being put in place as we speak to maintain the Fort well into the 21st century. All of this is due to the SUPPORT of all, including this forum and the Historic Fort Wayne Coalition. Without the volunteers that have worked so hard to bring this about, the Fort would have gone away a long time ago.

As events unfold, Subvet and I will keep the forum apprised.

PlymouthRes
Projects Committee

Kjwick
Username: Kjwick

Post Number: 45
Posted on Thursday, October 04, 2007 - 12:53 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Will any of the building materials be preserved or are they all going to the dump?

Old windows / doors / trim? It could be donated to the architectural warehouse near grand river and warren, then people could buy a piece of history... a portion of the proceeds could be donated back to the fort then.

Waz
Username: Waz

Post Number: 211
Posted on Thursday, October 04, 2007 - 1:28 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Excellent idea, Kjwick!

Mrsprunk
Username: Mrsprunk

Post Number: 5
Posted on Thursday, October 04, 2007 - 1:36 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

hudson's :-(

Waz
Username: Waz

Post Number: 212
Posted on Thursday, October 04, 2007 - 1:53 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Uhhh, mrsprunk, did you maybe mean to place your post here?

https://www.atdetroit.net/forum/mes sages/5/115383.html?1191515386

Cambrian
Username: Cambrian

Post Number: 1691
Posted on Thursday, October 04, 2007 - 1:57 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

When I was there last year they were talking about demo'ing it in the spring. Surprised it made it this long.

Ray1936
Username: Ray1936

Post Number: 2034
Posted on Thursday, October 04, 2007 - 1:57 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Well, any building not properly maintained is going to deteriorate quickly, especially in Michigan's weather and climate.

Point not your finger at the wrecking ball. Point to those who failed their responsibility in building maintenance. Read much of that as "budget".

Danny
Username: Danny

Post Number: 6637
Posted on Thursday, October 04, 2007 - 2:12 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Pitiful, NOTHING'S SACRED in the world anymore! Goodbye American historical structures. Hello useless 21st Century junk.

Charlottepaul
Username: Charlottepaul

Post Number: 1786
Posted on Thursday, October 04, 2007 - 2:16 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

What was/is the harm in leaving it as it is? Sure it would be one of many abandoned, not kept up, buildings in Detroit, but that is just my argument. What harm would it be to leave it as it is (if not leave it for future redevelopment even 50 years from now)?

Spacemonkey
Username: Spacemonkey

Post Number: 223
Posted on Thursday, October 04, 2007 - 2:27 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

This isn't sad news. Progress is good news.

Tear it down. Build new. Move on.

Usnsubvet77

Post Number: 45
Posted on Thursday, October 04, 2007 - 2:29 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

First, the building itself has been open to the elements and thieves for YEARS. Peaking in from the outside caved in floors, there does not appear to be much of real value left.

Secondly, due the confirmed levels of asbestos in the materials in the hospital, most of the items will be destroyed unfortunately. Anything of use I believe is to be sold to the demolition company to help defray the cost of the demolition itself. I do not know where, but I believe though not sure, that the salvaged items will be sold for restorative purposes. I am not even sure if the City could legally sell contaminated materials such as this.

Also, due to the high amounts of asbestos the building will be knocked down using water cannon’s vice the typical method of wrecking balls or bull dozers.

That is my understanding as to what is being done with the materials from the site.

Usnsubvet77

Post Number: 46
Posted on Thursday, October 04, 2007 - 2:48 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Space Monkey,

What is the “progress” which you are referring? With what do you substantiate your comments?

Participate in this thread if you would like. However, perhaps becoming a bit more versed in the topic you are trying to interject yourself into would do you well.

Anytime ANYTHING that bears historical significance is lost due to neglect, laziness or politics IS sad news.

If things pass on their own; that is one thing. But the thought to label the destruction of something, generated only from carelessness and neglect, as “progress” seems woefully misguided.

Raggedclaws
Username: Raggedclaws

Post Number: 72
Posted on Thursday, October 04, 2007 - 2:57 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Maybe Spacemonkey thought a new hospital is slated to be built at Ft. Wayne. Y'know...to service the soldiers there.

Detroit313
Username: Detroit313

Post Number: 492
Posted on Thursday, October 04, 2007 - 2:58 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I agree Charlotte,

especially in Fort Wayne. It's not like it's next to a school of church or something.

Why does the city let things get to the point where they need big funding to renovate?

That's backwards; a minimal level of maintanence should have been preformed. That building was neglected!

Detroit is setting itself up for failure!

<313>

Gistok
Username: Gistok

Post Number: 5453
Posted on Thursday, October 04, 2007 - 3:02 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

With a name like Space_monkey.... makes ya wonder if he's 14 or 15? :-)

Mauser765
Username: Mauser765

Post Number: 1969
Posted on Thursday, October 04, 2007 - 3:04 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"Tear it down. Build new."

Yes yes...Tear down an historic treasure and build a new historic 19th century structure in its place...Huh ?

Jt1
Username: Jt1

Post Number: 10381
Posted on Thursday, October 04, 2007 - 3:17 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

I agree Charlotte,

especially in Fort Wayne. It's not like it's next to a school of church or something.

Why does the city let things get to the point where they need big funding to renovate?

That's backwards; a minimal level of maintanence should have been preformed. That building was neglected!

Detroit is setting itself up for failure!

<313>

Should upkeep fall solely on the city. This is Michigan and US history as well. If chosing between services for citizens or maintaing Fort Wayne I would sadly have to pick services for the citizens of the city.

The city, State and Federal Government should all be embarrased that this has happended, not just the city.

Usnsubvet77

Post Number: 47
Posted on Thursday, October 04, 2007 - 3:17 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Unfortunately, for safety reasons, with the soundness of the structure, there is no guarantee when, how or where the building would eventually fall. It is a rather large two story building and I feel that led to the decision by the City and State to take it down. Believe me, that was one of my favorite buildings on the complex. So much history and energy would come from there.

The Fort is used by Parks and Rec., and serves various other functions. I would believe the hospital’s location played a large roll in the demolition. Being along a main road at the Fort, it could have posed serious threat the pedestrian and vehicular traffic. Similarly with the glass panes in the 1848 barracks. The glass is falling out of the sashes onto the sidewalk in front. We are now proceeding forward with working on reworking and restoring the most serious windows. The eventual goal, into next year, is to repair and reglaze all the windows.

Someone said it before Budget, Budget, Budget. It costs money to heat these buildings to keep them from falling down (and pipes from bursting which we fix EVERY winter) Without the money coming in, Fort Wayne is a hassle.

The Historic Fort Wayne Coalition is changing that almost entirely through volunteerism. We have invested over 2700 manhours of volunteer time. That number exceeds the hours worked by a full time employee for a full year!

This demolition SHOULD make you angry and upset as to why this happened. All I can say is that you engage yourself with the Fort if you’d like. Come out to some of the workdays that the Coalition hosts to preserve what remains. Even just coming out for a tour for $3 can help.

If reading what you have seen here today made you mad enough to wonder why and write back; we NEED people like you to help us push the Historic Fort Wayne Coalition forward. The Coalition needs people who want to see Detroit succeed. Success developed by recognizing and attempting to preserve what can be saved of Detroit past.

If we don’t bother to preserve and remember and “just build new”, who will?

You can’t rebuild Detroit if you forget Detroit.

www.historicfortwaynecoalition .com

Jt1

Post Number: 10382
Posted on Thursday, October 04, 2007 - 3:22 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Usnsubvet77 - Do you have an online form to join or is it just the pdf?

Usnsubvet77

Post Number: 48
Posted on Thursday, October 04, 2007 - 3:31 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Jt1 is correct in saying that it is not only the City's responsibility.

According to the lease agreement from the Federal Gov to Detroit, any modifications, demolition, etc must be approved by the State Historical Dept.(and as high as the Nat'l Park Service, I believe)

Everyone dropped the ball here. You can't blame the city entirely. Even though, that seems the easy target since they are responsible for the leased property.

What's done is done. All we as citizens of Michigan can do is make change happen. If the gov doesn't do it, we do it. Find a way. Make it happen.

Usnsubvet77

Post Number: 49
Posted on Thursday, October 04, 2007 - 3:36 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

JT1,

We are currently upgrading our website. The .PDF is the only form right now.

I was just talking about suggestions to better the new website and you just gave me another! Thanks jt1!

I am sorry about that, but that is the only way for right now. Let me know if you need anything else.

Jt1

Post Number: 10385
Posted on Thursday, October 04, 2007 - 3:39 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

No problem. I am on the road a lot and am too lazy to get to a hotel printer. I will sign up when I eventually get back to town and get to my office.

You guys are doing a great thing. Do you have any volunteer/clean up activities coming up? The last event listed on your page is Sept. 6. All I can offer is manual labor, not expertise in any of the detail/skill work.

Jjw
Username: Jjw

Post Number: 463
Posted on Thursday, October 04, 2007 - 4:21 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

It seems to me that Fort Wayne is significant not only to Detroit but to the entire state of Michigan. I wonder why it has not been designated a state park. This is very sad news especially considering the fort's location along the waterway and being public. This one goes in the Hall of Shame for Michigan.

Detroitsuperfly
Username: Detroitsuperfly

Post Number: 71
Posted on Thursday, October 04, 2007 - 4:49 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Build new? Progress? At a landmark of national historic significance?

Oh for God sakes! That doesnt even deserve the effort of my scorn!

(Message edited by detroitsuperfly on October 04, 2007)

Plymouthres
Username: Plymouthres

Post Number: 194
Posted on Thursday, October 04, 2007 - 9:31 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Jt1-

The next workday is Saturday, October 13th, from 9am to 5pm. Here is a quote from our Vice-chairman in regard to that particular day:

"October 13 will be a big day for the Fort. Besides our workday, the Fort will home for over 300 Boy Scouts who will be inside the Star Fort
for their first jamboree at the Fort in many years. Also, the Visitor’s Center will host the Fall DHQ flea market."

You can come out anytime to help. You don't have to get there at 9 or leave at 5. Work as long or as short as you like, we could use all the help we can get!!

Jjw-

The Fort has been a military base, a Federal Landmark, State and Local Historical Place and, at one time, a museum. It was listed in the 1934 study of Historical American Places. It was also used as a housing project after many were displaced by the riots. It is now administered by the Recreation Department, after being handed around by the Government like a soggy bag. Not anymore! Get ready to celebrate the return from the dead of one of Detroit's historically significant jewels.

We've "torn down" enough of our history. Anyone who doesn't see that is simply asleep.

We look forward to seeing you at the Fort!

PlymouthRes

Granmontrules
Username: Granmontrules

Post Number: 189
Posted on Thursday, October 04, 2007 - 9:52 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

You can't save everything. I agree tear it down. It is not safe to the public.

Thecarl
Username: Thecarl

Post Number: 1047
Posted on Thursday, October 04, 2007 - 10:07 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quelle dommage. clinton valley center is succeeded in death by her distant cousin.

(edited to add interesting link: http://abandonedmemories.com/Clinton_Valley_Center.html)

(Message edited by thecarl on October 04, 2007)

Jenniferl
Username: Jenniferl

Post Number: 401
Posted on Thursday, October 04, 2007 - 10:17 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Usnsubvet77,
When and why did the Historical Museum relinquish control of the Fort? I remember when they first took over, they made some improvements, most notably on the barracks house.
I plan to be at the Flea Market on either Saturday or Sunday. It would have been nice to have one last look at the hospital building.

Kjwick
Username: Kjwick

Post Number: 46
Posted on Thursday, October 04, 2007 - 11:53 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Usnsubvet77,

People have VERY different ideas about what "real value" is....what this metropolitan region demolishes/throws away in terms of its history is evidence enough of that.

The demolition company is likely interested in very specific items. I am willing to bet that the company doesn't collect old window sashes.

Hopefully some salvage / antique businesses will be offered the "donation" of these materials that will almost certainly end up in the dump.

Usnsubvet77

Post Number: 50
Posted on Friday, October 05, 2007 - 7:11 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yesterday I had the opportunity to stop at the Fort. I was able to chat with the crew and see the demo prep and say my goodbye’s to the hospital. I must say, with all the brush gone, I have never seen the outside of hospital look so good. Unfortunately, I wasn't around for it's hayday.

I also had the opportunity to speak with the foreman of the demolition to get a better picture of what is going to happen. I asked if anything was to be saved from the structure (material wise) and the answer was no. Everything is going to the dump.

I also asked what was structurally deficient with the hospital requiring it to come down. The foreman, who was quite open with information, informed me that the State Historical Dept performed an inspection of the building and determined it unsalvageable due to its cracked foundation. The company was originally slated to demo Bldg 311 (one of the remaining 1894 barracks near the “old” front gate). However, even though 311 has significant internal and roof damage, since the foundation was sound, the state is keeping that one up.

On a more refreshing note, in the distant future, this information may make Space Monkey happy with his “build new” perspective. The is an architectural plan in the works to “rebuild” a replica of the hospital building and that will be used for the new Native American exhibits. I have no idea of the timeframe of this.

Here are some photos of the demolition prep.

Projects Committee – Secretary
www.historicfortwaynecoalition.com

Usnsubvet77

Post Number: 52
Posted on Friday, October 05, 2007 - 10:19 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I will post more photos as the demolition progresses if I can...