Discuss Detroit » Hall of Fame Threads » $250 million mixed-use project at Telegraph and Sq. Lake « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Thejesus
Username: Thejesus

Post Number: 2306
Posted on Thursday, October 04, 2007 - 10:48 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Big mixed-use development being built in Bloomfield...60 luxury condos and some retail..

"At least 20 retailers have been lined up for the project so far, including Ann Taylor Loft, Banana Republic, BCBG, Chico’s, J. Jill, Lucky Brand Jeans, Sephora, Victoria’s Secret and White House/Black Market."

http://www.crainsdetroit.com/a pps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/2007 1003/REG/71003009/1016/-/-/blo omfield-park-site-plan-okd

3rdworldcity
Username: 3rdworldcity

Post Number: 932
Posted on Thursday, October 04, 2007 - 10:54 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

That project is far north of Square Lake Rd, on the east side of Telegraph.

The much smaller project on the NW corner of Sq Lake and Telegraph is rumored to be a Target.

Danny
Username: Danny

Post Number: 6639
Posted on Thursday, October 04, 2007 - 2:28 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

YAY!! More suburbantopian sprawl. That will fill up the traffic congestion in Telegraph Rd.

Johnlodge
Username: Johnlodge

Post Number: 2936
Posted on Thursday, October 04, 2007 - 2:33 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO, oh man, I'm so screwed. We really need to move this office closer to the core.

Rb336
Username: Rb336

Post Number: 2725
Posted on Thursday, October 04, 2007 - 2:39 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

this is bloomfield park, finally after how many years?

Detroit313
Username: Detroit313

Post Number: 493
Posted on Thursday, October 04, 2007 - 3:03 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Lodge----

I hear you. But look at the bottom of the letter about BoA, planning 25B for the community.

Gosh-- KK needs to be first in line for at least 10% of that.

This time don't spend it all on Cass Tech!

<313>

Johnlodge
Username: Johnlodge

Post Number: 2937
Posted on Thursday, October 04, 2007 - 3:09 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I know I just mean I work over here by this mess, I need to move my office closer to the core. :-) Preferably walking distance from my house.

Cmubryan
Username: Cmubryan

Post Number: 463
Posted on Thursday, October 04, 2007 - 4:47 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

This is by no means more sprawl, it is redevelopment. Remember there used to be two large movie theatres (Showcase Cinemas) at that location.

Gistok
Username: Gistok

Post Number: 5457
Posted on Thursday, October 04, 2007 - 6:30 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Now I'm confused. I think 3WC is correct. This project is far north of Square Lake Rd. & Telegraph.

Isn't this the large project that that Schubiner fellow was trying to make into a billion dollar plus project? If so, then it is farther north, closer to Orchard Lake Rd. I remember driving past Sq. Lake & Telegraph last week, and didn't see any re-development... but farther north there was land cleared.

I think that Crain's is slightly off in their location... it is NOT at the corner of Sq. Lake & Telegraph.

Titancub
Username: Titancub

Post Number: 93
Posted on Thursday, October 04, 2007 - 7:31 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yes, this is up about a half mile north of Square Lake and is a part of the much hyped Bloomfield Park. Too bad the guy spent so long dinking around fighting w/ BH over zoning just to annex to Pontiac then altogether accomplish in time for the local economy to tank beyond belief.

Mike
Username: Mike

Post Number: 993
Posted on Thursday, October 04, 2007 - 8:34 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

this is one of the reasons downtown detroit doest fill its potential. the region cannot support all of these "infills" in the middle of nowhere.

is this going to be sort of like the village of rochester next to meadow brook?

Thejesus

Post Number: 2311
Posted on Thursday, October 04, 2007 - 10:43 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

""infills" in the middle of nowhere. "

there's actually a ton of established residential areas within a 2-3 mile radius of that location...a lot of money too...

Kid_dynamite
Username: Kid_dynamite

Post Number: 276
Posted on Thursday, October 04, 2007 - 11:00 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

If they end up pulling this project off to the potential that they are pitching it, this looks very cool. Whether or not this would be your ideal environment to live in, it will be another boost to collectively make the REGION a more attractive place.

""infills" in the middle of nowhere. "

....it's definitely not in the middle of nowhere.

Yaktown
Username: Yaktown

Post Number: 237
Posted on Thursday, October 04, 2007 - 11:16 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I work a half-mile from this project, I'm right at Square Lake/Telegraph in fact. This has been in the works for at least 7 years. The annexation vote was ironically on 9-11-01. This was going to be a HUGE development but could have been bigger. Schubiner originally wanted a 30-story building to be the centerpiece. However, Bloomfield Twp said no way because of their 3-story limit on commercial buildings. So...he pleaded with Pontiac to annex it which they did. Other projects on the Telegraph strip include the aforementioned Target (with underground parking?) and an LA Fitness health club where the former Frank's Nursery once stood. The Showcase Cinema on northbound Telegraph gave way to Golling Chrysler-Jeep a few years ago as well.

Renfirst
Username: Renfirst

Post Number: 55
Posted on Friday, October 05, 2007 - 12:01 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'm skeptical about whether this is really happening... I don't believe for a second that Sephora, Banana Republic, and BCBG have agreed to open in the development.

I wonder if Crain's actually called each company to confirm if in fact they've signed leases?

3rdworldcity
Username: 3rdworldcity

Post Number: 936
Posted on Friday, October 05, 2007 - 5:53 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I have concerns about the commercial viability of Schubiner's project, especially in this market. I sure do wish him well however. (I supported this project before the Bloomfield Twp. Trustees.)

Schubiner made a monumental mistake years ago; he dropped his lawsuit and attempted to reason with the Twp. They screwed him royally. He should have known better. They got the whores on the Bloomfield Hills Council (I live there) to inject BH into the fray in an obviously illegal way and it took another lawsuit by Schubiner to get BH out of the way. But, more lost time.

Schubiner should have done what Ron Hughes did to Novi when they tried to illegally muscle him in the same way Bloomfield did to Schubiner. Ron sued Novi and never let up. He got a jury verdict against Novi for almost $70,000,000 as I recall, and settled for most of that in cash, and he took some of the City's land and its committment to refrain in any way in his original development, which he eventually finished. Municipalities are frequently the biggest, lawless crooks around. I hate 'em (and for many years had a successful career fighting City Hall. I miss it.)

Jim
Username: Jim

Post Number: 979
Posted on Friday, October 05, 2007 - 7:33 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

This project is not needed. How much vacant office space and residential areas can one metropolitan area support?

Ten minutes from 'Bloomfield Park' is Pontiac's downtown area and that could use an influx of capital since it has vacant buildings currently. That just wouldn't fit into how things are done in this area.

Iheartthed
Username: Iheartthed

Post Number: 1769
Posted on Friday, October 05, 2007 - 7:50 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

What's the difference between this development and the one that folded in Troy a few months ago?

Dannaroo
Username: Dannaroo

Post Number: 165
Posted on Friday, October 05, 2007 - 7:54 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

What's the difference between this development and the one that folded in Troy a few months ago?

Well, for one, they've already begun moving dirt on this project AND gotten final site plan approval from all involved which are pretty good first steps.

Novine
Username: Novine

Post Number: 162
Posted on Wednesday, October 10, 2007 - 11:01 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"he took some of the City's land and its committment to refrain in any way in his original development, which he eventually finished."

No he didn't. Drive up Novi Road north of 12 Mile and gaze upon the 25+ acres of vacant land that Hughes still hasn't developed.

I won't rehash that whole lawsuit but the city worked with Hughes even as he was suing the city and allowed him to completely redo his development plans for the original location when his original plans for the site didn't fly. Ironically, the second development plan was very New Urbanism but most of those elements were dumped after the lawsuit verdict was announced. Hughes decided not to proceed with the development and sold off most of the land to other developers including Singh, all who managed to build and sell out most of the development on the same property that Hughes claimed he couldn't market or develop because of the city. What Hughes kept is still sitting vacant and undeveloped.

Thejesus

Post Number: 2372
Posted on Wednesday, October 10, 2007 - 11:04 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"What's the difference between this development and the one that folded in Troy a few months ago?"

You're right. They should build the Troy one too! : D

Crawford
Username: Crawford

Post Number: 135
Posted on Thursday, October 11, 2007 - 12:20 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I don't believe the press release. Why on earth would these stores move to an ugly commercial strip in Pontiac? Even downtown Birmingham doesn't have these stores. This strip currently has NO upscale stores and tons of junk. Outside of Costco, the area has been a revolving door of failed businesses.

Gistok
Username: Gistok

Post Number: 5495
Posted on Thursday, October 11, 2007 - 2:19 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

... and don't forget about that "successful" Summit Place Mall just up the road...

Renfirst
Username: Renfirst

Post Number: 59
Posted on Friday, October 12, 2007 - 4:17 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The one store I LOVE in that area is Homegoods. One of my favorite places to buy home furnishings.

I don't believe it either Crawford.

Mike

Post Number: 999
Posted on Friday, October 12, 2007 - 6:03 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

how far away is it from the central city?

to me thats middle of nowhere. these are stores that if packaged right, and suburbanites actually supported the city should be in downtown.

people complain that we dont have the shopping that chicago and other cities have, yet wont support the shopping that we do have because they will only flock to a place like this if its in the hills

Dustin89
Username: Dustin89

Post Number: 139
Posted on Friday, October 12, 2007 - 10:38 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

This could potentially be great for Pontiac. It certainly puts a strain on other redevelopments in the area, such as the Summit Place mall revitalization (P.S., it appears as of today that a minor-league baseball park will indeed be constructed...I believe in the northwest corner of the mall parking lot) and downtown Pontiac. I think the optimistic attitude here is that it was planned long before the economy really tanked, and hopefully it will prosper when the economy recovers. If it does succeed, it will be a win-win: feeding on a fairly wealthy customer base while benefiting the city of Pontiac, which it is located on the very edge of.

Mike

Post Number: 1001
Posted on Sunday, October 14, 2007 - 10:48 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

i am just so jaded by suburbanites who don't support the central city that i just find myself ignoring the suburbs the best i can.

however, when i comes to shopping, its hard to ignore the suburbs.

but when i comes to sporting events, theater, bars, clubs, and restaurants I only shop detroit.

Thejesus

Post Number: 2415
Posted on Monday, October 15, 2007 - 10:49 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"people complain that we dont have the shopping that chicago and other cities have, yet wont support the shopping that we do have because they will only flock to a place like this if its in the hills"

I don't know...most residents of Bloomfield and Troy that I know are quite happy with the region's shopping options...I never hear any of them complaining that they can't go shopping in downtown Detroit..

It people living in the city and people who dislike stripe malls that I usually hear complaining about there being no shopping options in Detroit