Discuss Detroit » Hall of Fame Threads » Detroit’s most regrettable demolition? » Archive through October 04, 2007 « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Tkelly1986
Username: Tkelly1986

Post Number: 418
Posted on Thursday, October 04, 2007 - 10:08 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Of the many demolitions Detroit has seen over the last 50 or so years, which one is the most regrettable, thus which do you wish never happened. Also, which made the least sense, in terms of the building not needing to be demolished or it would have been better to hold on a little longer in hopes a developer would come forwards.

For the first question my response is Hudson’s and for the second, I say Wolverine Hotel.

Gmich99
Username: Gmich99

Post Number: 252
Posted on Thursday, October 04, 2007 - 10:11 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

City Hall

Chuckjav
Username: Chuckjav

Post Number: 169
Posted on Thursday, October 04, 2007 - 10:14 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Everything destroyed by construction of the Jeffries Freeway - wrecked the fabric of Detroit's Glorious West Side.

Those Rat Bass-Turdz!

56packman
Username: 56packman

Post Number: 1811
Posted on Thursday, October 04, 2007 - 10:16 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

City hall (thanks Gmich)
Hollywood theater
Hudson's (but would anyone be doing anything with it or would it still be empty ?)
Chene mansion/Little Harry's (thanks a lot Anita Baker)

Detroitplanner
Username: Detroitplanner

Post Number: 1432
Posted on Thursday, October 04, 2007 - 10:25 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hermann Gardens (ok, maybe not)

Mackinaw
Username: Mackinaw

Post Number: 3749
Posted on Thursday, October 04, 2007 - 10:32 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Any demolition where no plan was in place for the redevelopment of the site (that's most of them).

Hudson's followed by the Madison Lenox were two of the most egregious.

Username: 3420

Post Number: 142
Posted on Thursday, October 04, 2007 - 10:37 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hudson's, Statler, & Madison-Lenox.

Waz
Username: Waz

Post Number: 208
Posted on Thursday, October 04, 2007 - 10:48 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Lindell AC :-(

Gazhekwe
Username: Gazhekwe

Post Number: 740
Posted on Thursday, October 04, 2007 - 10:52 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Verne's, I still miss them.

Detroitsuperfly
Username: Detroitsuperfly

Post Number: 64
Posted on Thursday, October 04, 2007 - 10:53 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hermann Gardens? LOL!

Post of the day!

Lindell AC, indeed! In evey city I've lived in, I've looked for their version of the Lindell AC. There was only one.

Fury13
Username: Fury13

Post Number: 2524
Posted on Thursday, October 04, 2007 - 11:01 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Majestic Building

The group of 1870s-1880s buildings that once comprised the Monroe Block

City Hall

Tuller Hotel

Flame Show Bar

Fortune Records

Detroitsuperfly

Post Number: 67
Posted on Thursday, October 04, 2007 - 11:04 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

606 Horseshoe Lounge

Iheartthed
Username: Iheartthed

Post Number: 1751
Posted on Thursday, October 04, 2007 - 11:17 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Paradise Valley.

Detroitsuperfly

Post Number: 69
Posted on Thursday, October 04, 2007 - 11:19 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The Kress

Fury13

Post Number: 2528
Posted on Thursday, October 04, 2007 - 11:22 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hastings Street, from Jefferson to Harper

Dds
Username: Dds

Post Number: 383
Posted on Thursday, October 04, 2007 - 11:44 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'm surprised nobody has said Slumpy yet, with all of the weeping that went on for days about that place, and the fact that it's picture has been on the forum homepage for weeks.

Barnesfoto
Username: Barnesfoto

Post Number: 4234
Posted on Thursday, October 04, 2007 - 11:59 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

City hall, the Monroe Block, Little Harry's

Detroithabitater
Username: Detroithabitater

Post Number: 48
Posted on Thursday, October 04, 2007 - 12:00 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

the southern half of Corktown

Norwalk
Username: Norwalk

Post Number: 127
Posted on Thursday, October 04, 2007 - 12:07 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Grandma's House

Downtownguy
Username: Downtownguy

Post Number: 69
Posted on Thursday, October 04, 2007 - 12:14 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Little Harry's. Anita Baker should have gone to jail for ignoring the law and having that torn down. But, at least we have an IHOP in its place.

Ray1936
Username: Ray1936

Post Number: 2031
Posted on Thursday, October 04, 2007 - 12:22 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yeah, my grandma's house too, Norwalk. Good pick. I'll also go along with old City Hall, even though it was really falling apart due to lack of proper maintenance.

Catman_dude
Username: Catman_dude

Post Number: 229
Posted on Thursday, October 04, 2007 - 12:24 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Slumpy was a different story, Dds. It wasn't originally intended to be demo'd but it was after the fact apparent that it was waaay beyond repair after her face fell off this past winter. So her demolition was like putting an extremely ill pet to sleep. Much weeping but it had to be done for her sake.

Expatriot
Username: Expatriot

Post Number: 2
Posted on Thursday, October 04, 2007 - 12:28 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

City Hall I must agree, because it was done to construct a parking lot and marked the beginning of the decline.

Viziondetroit
Username: Viziondetroit

Post Number: 1131
Posted on Thursday, October 04, 2007 - 12:29 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"Little Harry's. Anita Baker should have gone to jail for ignoring the law and having that torn down. But, at least we have an IHOP in its place."

^^^^^
Deja Vu a'la pizza pizza

Margaret
Username: Margaret

Post Number: 203
Posted on Thursday, October 04, 2007 - 12:53 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

my wonderful old house on Lakewood Avenue, and most of Lakewood from Kercheval to Jefferson. sob...

Waz
Username: Waz

Post Number: 209
Posted on Thursday, October 04, 2007 - 12:55 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Assuming City Hall were refurbished and left open, I can only assume there would be complaints by now that it is too small and inconvenient for staffers, a la Police HQ. Speaking of which, I haven't heard any comments lately about new police digs or more complaints about the current facility.

The old City Hall looked like a beautiful building (I never saw it in person). I would like to have seen it retained from an aesthetic standpoint, but it had probably outlived its usefulness from a functional standpoint.

Out of curiosity, does anyone know of other large cities that still use their "original" city hall, AS a city hall?

Danindc
Username: Danindc

Post Number: 3420
Posted on Thursday, October 04, 2007 - 12:58 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

^Offhand, I can think of Cleveland (1906, designed by Daniel Burnham), New York, DC, and Philadelphia that still use "old" city halls. Philadelphia's City Hall is probably the most comparable to Detroit's old City Hall.

CAY Bldg is a POS, in my opinion.

Fury13

Post Number: 2533
Posted on Thursday, October 04, 2007 - 1:07 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Philly's City Hall is a jewel and the story of its construction (went on for decades due to corruption) is fascinating. Chicago's City Hall/Cook County Building goes back to 1911, I believe.

San Francisco's City Hall is something to behold. It was built right after the big quake of 1906 to replace an almost-new building that crumbled in the disaster.

Scottr
Username: Scottr

Post Number: 792
Posted on Thursday, October 04, 2007 - 1:15 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

As for the most regrettable, City Hall, Hudson's, Statler, Tuller, Madison-Lenox, and certainly a few others that i'm forgetting. Does the Michigan Theatre count?

when it comes to 'made the least sense', statler, Madison-Lenox, and everything in the Comerica parking lots along woodward (even the ones that were moved were better off along woodward, IMHO)

(Message edited by scottr on October 04, 2007)

Gazhekwe
Username: Gazhekwe

Post Number: 744
Posted on Thursday, October 04, 2007 - 1:17 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

It could have been a visitor center and museum, a la Waterworks in Chicago. It would have been beautiful. Funny thing about Detroit, history is never really important. Is it the new model every year philosophy?