Discuss Detroit » Hall of Fame Threads » Fort Wayne » Fire at Fort Wayne? « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Flybydon
Username: Flybydon

Post Number: 180
Posted on Sunday, October 07, 2007 - 7:57 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Any Information on when and how this fire occurred?

The last image has nothing to do with the fire. Thought I'd share it was all.

Lilpup
Username: Lilpup

Post Number: 2897
Posted on Sunday, October 07, 2007 - 8:17 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

looks like brush clearing for the scheduled demo on Tuesday

thread about demo here

(Message edited by lilpup on October 07, 2007)

Plymouthres
Username: Plymouthres

Post Number: 197
Posted on Sunday, October 07, 2007 - 9:38 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Flyby-

Thanks for the cool aerials!

Lilpup is correct-the building in question is the Hospital Building, which is in the process of demolition as we speak.

It was sad for me to see today when I went down to give a tour at noon, as it was the first time I had seen it so stark without the covering of vegetation that had grown to encompass it. The building had basically fallen into ruin after 25 years of deferred maintenence and all efforts to save it were for naught. It had become a danger to the public, as children walked within 20 feet of the ruins to and from soccer practise on the Parade Ground at the river.

The place was determined right from the get go to be a asbestos nightmare, so most of the efforts to rehabilitate it brought astronomical demolition costs and abatement requirements that could not be realistically contained.

As sad as I was to see such a historically significant structure fall to ruin and be torn down, I was reminded throughout my tour of the many good restoration efforts that have taken place at Fort Wayne since I first found out about the Coalition back in March. This year the Coalition has provided over volunteer 2700 hours,
restoring the bulkhead entrance doors to all of entry ways to the various buildings along officers row, restored the Stairs to the Commander's Quarters, allowing access to that structure for the first time in 10 years. The Blacksmith's Shop has been restored, is fully functional for group tours, the Quarter Master's Shop and Buildings 112, 110 and 106 have been reclaimed and a healthy restoration effort has begun on their behalf.

Further, more restoration will be taking place, including a program designed to stave-off the further deterioration of the structures called the "Wrap-A-Roof" project, in which we will be asking local businesses and other partners to help us stop the decay and re-build the structures and our effort to begin the long task of working to restore the windows and 2nd, 3rd and 4th floors of the Barracks Building.

There is so much more to say about the restoration effort and Lowell has been more than kind in inviting us to use his website to keep everyone informed of our progress, so keep looking here for many more threads as we update and rehab the fort back to its old self!

PlymouthRes
Historic Fort Wayne Coalition
Projects Committee
www.historicfortwaynecoalition .com