Discuss Detroit » Hall of Fame Threads » Dequindre cut » Archive through September 21, 2007 « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Mdoyle
Username: Mdoyle

Post Number: 212
Posted on Friday, September 21, 2007 - 12:58 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Here are some photos of the work going on in the cut. I was tipped off to this by a fellow dyes'er and am surprised it hasn't shown up on here yet.
http://adrianplatts.com/jpegs/ Detroitv/bikeblog/index.htm
This is not my blog btw, all credit goes to the owner.

Detroitduo
Username: Detroitduo

Post Number: 868
Posted on Friday, September 21, 2007 - 6:31 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

This is awesome! I can't wait to be able to make the, hopefully, safer ride from midtown to the river. I am VERY excited for this to complete.

Michigansheik
Username: Michigansheik

Post Number: 236
Posted on Friday, September 21, 2007 - 7:41 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

this is great news! patience is a virtue

6nois
Username: 6nois

Post Number: 506
Posted on Friday, September 21, 2007 - 8:42 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I think the concept is great but the design is far too sterilized and takes away the best things about the cut. Large amounts of the plants that has been removed is saddening and is to be replaced by 'landscaping' which I am not quite clear on, And the large amounts of cameras are going to scare away the graffiti artists. It should be useful but its going to loose alot of its charm.

Jt1
Username: Jt1

Post Number: 10191
Posted on Friday, September 21, 2007 - 8:48 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'll take a neighborhood friendly bike/walking path anyday over a beat down area with 'charming' graffitti.

I like much of what makes Detroit unique but adding Quality of Life ameneties over character is pretty important to many residents and may even help bring in additional residents.

Gravitymachine
Username: Gravitymachine

Post Number: 1818
Posted on Friday, September 21, 2007 - 8:53 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

Large amounts of the plants that has been removed is saddening and is to be replaced by 'landscaping' which I am not quite clear on,

ghetto palms should not be refered to as "plants", rather, photosynthetic vermin

6nois

Post Number: 507
Posted on Friday, September 21, 2007 - 8:55 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I am just stating through creative design they could have preserved the best of what is their while improving the cut to meet their goal. I was thinking more in line with New York Cities High Line. Oh and P.S. they aren't taking out just Ghetto Palms they are taking out Maples, Oaks, and native speicies, I was watching them work. They acutally clear cut with no distinction of the type of plant that is there.

(Message edited by 6nois on September 21, 2007)

Thejesus
Username: Thejesus

Post Number: 2180
Posted on Friday, September 21, 2007 - 8:56 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"I'll take a neighborhood friendly bike/walking path anyday over a beat down area with 'charming' graffitti."

Just curious...given how isolated the area is, what exactly stops the graffiti from going right back up?

6nois

Post Number: 508
Posted on Friday, September 21, 2007 - 8:58 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Its not getting taken down but lots of cameras are going up and a graffiti artist is not going to work with eyes on him.

Jt1

Post Number: 10192
Posted on Friday, September 21, 2007 - 8:59 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Can't say if anything will stop it. Cameras are only a deterrent if they are working and monitored.

Not sure if the conservancy will keep it up or have security guards or if it is the responsibility of the city.

Ordinary
Username: Ordinary

Post Number: 255
Posted on Friday, September 21, 2007 - 8:59 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"Photosynthetic vermin" That's a classic!

Thejesus

Post Number: 2181
Posted on Friday, September 21, 2007 - 9:02 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"Its not getting taken down"

They're leaving the graffiti up?

Eric
Username: Eric

Post Number: 931
Posted on Friday, September 21, 2007 - 10:12 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yes, most of the graffiti in the cut is going to stay.

6nois

Post Number: 509
Posted on Friday, September 21, 2007 - 10:12 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yes they are leaving the graffiti up as long as it is not offensive, but I am not sure to who.

Thejesus

Post Number: 2183
Posted on Friday, September 21, 2007 - 10:19 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Wow. I really hope people enjoy their bike rides down a graffiti-ridden bike trail.

Spitty
Username: Spitty

Post Number: 614
Posted on Friday, September 21, 2007 - 10:21 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I imagine they will. It is pretty cool graffiti.

Thejesus

Post Number: 2184
Posted on Friday, September 21, 2007 - 10:27 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I guess. To the handful of people who like that sort of thing. I would imagine it would turn a lot of people off though. Plus leaving it up can be seen as an endorsement of that type of thing, leading to more vandalism in places where we don't want it.

Macdbikeblog
Username: Macdbikeblog

Post Number: 1
Posted on Friday, September 21, 2007 - 10:29 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Folks might be interested in the graff community's take on this:

http://www.12ozprophet.com/for um/showthread.php?t=101674&pag e=246

As for the "graffiti ridden bike trail", I'll gladly take that over a busy Jefferson at 8am on a foggy morning.

Thejesus

Post Number: 2185
Posted on Friday, September 21, 2007 - 10:31 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

those fuckers should all be in jail...

Spitty
Username: Spitty

Post Number: 615
Posted on Friday, September 21, 2007 - 10:32 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

That's true, plus who's to say what stays and what goes? It's a tough call. I'd hate to see them spend money to paint over the cool stuff that's there now only to see crappy stuff go up afterwards. But then again, what's crap to some is cool to others.

Thejesus

Post Number: 2186
Posted on Friday, September 21, 2007 - 10:37 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yeah but by having that kind of attitude towards these criminals, it's only going to lead to more vandalism in places you don't want it, like on abandoned buildings downtown such as the one near merchants row that was vandalied not too long ago...the nine five five building or whatever it's called...

Most communities don't tolerate this kind of shit which it why you don't see it most other places..

Jt1

Post Number: 10194
Posted on Friday, September 21, 2007 - 10:42 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

those fuckers should all be in jail...

Yep. I really would love to find where some of them live so I can spray paint bullshit tags all over their homes. I suspect it wouldn't be so cool in their eyes (or their parents for those living at home).

Still can't wait until the day I find one of those worthless fucks tagging something.

Johnlodge
Username: Johnlodge

Post Number: 2636
Posted on Friday, September 21, 2007 - 10:52 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yo, why u dissin, why da beef? His beef wuz wit loaf, not you. chill, his crew got no beef wit you.

6nois

Post Number: 510
Posted on Friday, September 21, 2007 - 10:58 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

A few points:
1. Graffiti of this type is art, yes there is some run of the mill tagging in the cut, but alot of it is amazing.

2. The idea of preservation is good. If you take it down they will either return and do it again in the same spot or move downtown or to other areas. This is where a large majority of Detroit Graffiti is so lets keep it there.

3. I have seen graffiti in ever city I have been to whether the city tolerates it or not, its still going to happen.

4. This is a unique opprotunity for the city to incorporate interesting and vibrant things about it, with development. You can build a plain bike path anywhere, but this bike path is unique to Detroit, because of its location and the graffiti.

5. I think the idea is great, but I do wish the plan was thought out and desinged better.

I got some great pictures of the cut from this week because of a design project I am working on here are some before and afters as well as some of my favorite graffiti pieces, note pictures do not do them justice.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/n spiotrowski/1418171434/
http://www.flickr.com/photos/n spiotrowski/1418171428/in/phot ostream/
http://www.flickr.com/photos/n spiotrowski/1418171462/in/set- 72157600111022512/
http://www.flickr.com/photos/n spiotrowski/1418171454/in/set- 72157600111022512/

Mdoyle
Username: Mdoyle

Post Number: 213
Posted on Friday, September 21, 2007 - 11:23 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I would say that the graff in the cut is above average and some of it is really amazing. Graffiti has a pretty rich history especially in Brazil and parts of Germany where it has been used as a form of political awareness. It's unfortunate that so many Detroit artists do straight up tags though. Graffiti in other countries has expanded into much more aesthetically pleasing art.

Os Gemeos (Brazil):
http://drawn.ca/wordpress/wp-c ontent/images/osgemeos.jpg
http://www.deitch.com/files/pr ojects/cavalierom_poster_th.jp g

Macdbikeblog
Username: Macdbikeblog

Post Number: 2
Posted on Friday, September 21, 2007 - 11:36 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Taggers can be morons at best, defacing historic buildings. But the material in the cut from serious graf artists is generally more akin to the street art that decorates and adds greatly to Corktown and MexicanTown. Examples from the cut and around town:

http://adrianplatts.com/jpegs/ Detroitv/bikeblog/art.htm

Professorscott
Username: Professorscott

Post Number: 775
Posted on Friday, September 21, 2007 - 11:39 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Ah, the Tyree Guyton argument all over again. Whether something like this is art or vandalism depends on your perspective.

To me a more important question is: can the City do more to make it convenient and safe to bicycle around the City? Portland and Chicago (for instance) have done quite a bit with bike lanes and signage. I know some of you say "we don't need a bike lane", but you're the tiny minority that already road-bikes; there are very few such people. The public won't bicycle in general unless they perceive some kind of dedicated facility.

The Dequindre Cut is a nice step, but just a step. I don't actually think Detroit is planning any kind of improvement whatsoever to benefit its residents, is it? I don't just mean in terms of bicycling, I mean any improvement.

Thejesus

Post Number: 2188
Posted on Friday, September 21, 2007 - 11:42 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"Whether something like this is art or vandalism depends on your perspective."

No, not really. If they aren't getting anyone's permission, then it's vandalism, whether it's privately owned or publicly owned.

Jt1

Post Number: 10195
Posted on Friday, September 21, 2007 - 11:48 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I find myself agreeing with tj way too often lately.

6nois

Post Number: 511
Posted on Friday, September 21, 2007 - 11:58 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

So if the city is giving graffiti artist the okay to continue their work in the cut you would be okay with it?

It really all is in perspective. If graffiti makes an abandoned building look better is it still vandalism? In that case wouldn't the true vandal be the slum lord who has not maintained their property.

Graffiti is a political statement, is a message, and is a language, and is art. Whether you agree with it or not is another matter but it is fundamentally those things.