Discuss Detroit » Hall of Fame Threads » Detroit’s most regrettable demolition? » Archive through October 04, 2007 « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Rrl
Username: Rrl

Post Number: 906
Posted on Thursday, October 04, 2007 - 1:29 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The old Federal Building;

Fort Street train station;

Stroh's Brewery.

Gistok
Username: Gistok

Post Number: 5450
Posted on Thursday, October 04, 2007 - 1:58 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yes Scottr, the Michigan Theatre counts. It was gutted during the tenure of the previous owners. It was the largest of the 50 some French palatial theatres that Chicago architects Rapp & Rapp designed across America.

56packman... I agree the loss of the Hollywood Theatre was also regrettable. At 3,434 seats, it was Detroit's largest neighborhood theatre (torn down in the early 1960's).

I also lament the loss of the old Fisher Theatre (remodeled in 1960-61).

And another favorite building that really hurt the density of midtown was massive Mackenzie Hall at WSU (Putnam & Cass). I remember its' Pewabic lined lobby when I went to WSU back in the 1970's. Most folks aren't familiar with it, so here's a pic (it was razed in the 80's IIRC):

Danny
Username: Danny

Post Number: 6636
Posted on Thursday, October 04, 2007 - 2:09 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I miss the Old Slumpy!

Papermoon
Username: Papermoon

Post Number: 10
Posted on Thursday, October 04, 2007 - 2:10 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hudson's and Hudson's. Stupid, wasteful, and short-sighted to tear it down. Suburban mall stores don't hold a candle to the grande dame of downtown shopping.

Danny
Username: Danny

Post Number: 6638
Posted on Thursday, October 04, 2007 - 2:13 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The 1890 army hospital in Ft. Wayne will be soon hit the demo lost.

Chuckjav
Username: Chuckjav

Post Number: 175
Posted on Thursday, October 04, 2007 - 2:14 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Gistok...thanks for the posting of Big-Daddy David Mackenzie Hall; first they rip down his building - then they shut down his high school.

Shameful and deplorably indecent.

Davetroit
Username: Davetroit

Post Number: 27
Posted on Thursday, October 04, 2007 - 2:25 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Although not as significant as some of the buildings already mentioned here, I have been told that the Grande Ballroom will be coming down soon to make room for the new church that now owns it. I was hoping that by some miracle, they were going to renovate the building...
In reality, this doesn't come as a surprise due to its current state. Sad that it was allowed to get past the point of no return.

Jt1
Username: Jt1

Post Number: 10380
Posted on Thursday, October 04, 2007 - 2:27 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

Hudson's and Hudson's. Stupid, wasteful, and short-sighted to tear it down.

There would never, ever be a viable plan that could make use of hudson's. Keeping it would have been a constant blight on downtown.

Memories don't improve cities.

Spacemonkey
Username: Spacemonkey

Post Number: 224
Posted on Thursday, October 04, 2007 - 2:30 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

none

Gistok

Post Number: 5452
Posted on Thursday, October 04, 2007 - 2:34 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

^^^ (Owner of IHOP?)

Whithorn11446
Username: Whithorn11446

Post Number: 148
Posted on Thursday, October 04, 2007 - 2:39 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

-Stroh's Brewery
-Ramona Theatre
-Statler Hilton
-De La Salle Collegiate(Conner & Glenfield)
-Lindell A.C.
-either Greyhound Bus terminal on Washington Blvd. or Congress(personal reasons)
-Cloud 9, Claydale Hotel, Akron Hotel(joke)

"Lindell AC, indeed! In evey city I've lived in, I've looked for their version of the Lindell AC. There was only one."

Lindell A.C. was the last one left of the old time night spots that many cities had. Toots Shor's and Danny's Hideaway in New York, Duke Zeibert's in Washington, etc. from that era were gone before the Lindell.

Detroit_stylin
Username: Detroit_stylin

Post Number: 5107
Posted on Thursday, October 04, 2007 - 3:20 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

PARADISE VALLEY

Detroitnerd
Username: Detroitnerd

Post Number: 1483
Posted on Thursday, October 04, 2007 - 3:25 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Ramming I-75 down Hastings Street.

Anita Baker taking down Chene House. "Sweet Love" my ass.

Papermoon
Username: Papermoon

Post Number: 13
Posted on Thursday, October 04, 2007 - 3:30 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

JT1, I think people with vision improve cities. And that spark that inspires the vision can come from anywhere, even a memory.

Jams
Username: Jams

Post Number: 6418
Posted on Thursday, October 04, 2007 - 3:34 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The 411

Gone for 8 parking spaces.

Jt1
Username: Jt1

Post Number: 10384
Posted on Thursday, October 04, 2007 - 3:36 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

JT1, I think people with vision improve cities. And that spark that inspires the vision can come from anywhere, even a memory.

While I disagree with ou on Hudson's I agree wiht that statement.

Texorama
Username: Texorama

Post Number: 69
Posted on Thursday, October 04, 2007 - 3:44 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I have to agree on half of Corktown. Was in Columbus last weekend and saw what the vital German Village area did for the entire center of the city. Corktown could have been just as attractive had it not been leveled in the name of urban renewal.

French777
Username: French777

Post Number: 243
Posted on Thursday, October 04, 2007 - 4:06 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Madison lenox

Dougw
Username: Dougw

Post Number: 1929
Posted on Thursday, October 04, 2007 - 4:09 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Madison-Lenox, Hudson's, Monroe block, maybe the old Fort Street Train Station.

With the Statler, I'd have to grudgingly go along with those who argued that its older type of floor construction made it impractical to rehabm, plus the fact that it wasn't really *that* special architecturally or historically. Can't really say the same for Hudson's, though.

Losing a single house like Slumpy is not really the end of the world, as Detroit has hundreds of other homes of similar size and quality. (Although after hearing that Slumpy was Albert Kahn's first project, I'd probably have to revise that statement a bit.)

Jjw
Username: Jjw

Post Number: 462
Posted on Thursday, October 04, 2007 - 4:15 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

i go with the wholesale destruction for the Jeffries freeway along with Chuckjav above. I really think it contributed to the west side decay and also to the abandonment of the city. Those were some fine properties. I also think many of the smaller demolitions go unnoticed but have negatively impacted on the city. I still am shocked to see parts of Belle Isle paved for that race. And finally, the other thread about the hospital at Fort Wayne depressed me when I read about the possible destruction.

Goat
Username: Goat

Post Number: 9849
Posted on Thursday, October 04, 2007 - 4:28 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I wouldn't worry too much about City Hall. It was poorly built and would have tumbled down in another 20 years if that. I remember reading that the floors wre bowing and slanting so badly that some had to put books under their desks to level them off. Sure it was a beautiful building but it was poorly built.

Detroitrulez
Username: Detroitrulez

Post Number: 459
Posted on Thursday, October 04, 2007 - 4:32 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"BURLESK" theater on Woodward for a vacant lot.

Exmotowner
Username: Exmotowner

Post Number: 410
Posted on Thursday, October 04, 2007 - 4:41 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Of course all of the theaters. I also think the loss of Olympia stadium was major.

You guys are gonna have to help me out on something though (and Im ashamed of not knowing this) what are you talking about "Little Harry's and Chene Mansion" (associated with Anita Baker)???? Someone please fill me in. I've googled and did the search here but didnt come up with anything.

Detroitnerd
Username: Detroitnerd

Post Number: 1484
Posted on Thursday, October 04, 2007 - 4:50 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The way I heard it, the judge issued a restraining order not to take down Chene House, one of the oldest houses in the city. Anita defied the order and had the building ripped down anyway. Is that essentially correct?

Wirt
Username: Wirt

Post Number: 63
Posted on Thursday, October 04, 2007 - 4:55 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Fiona's Tea House

Gistok

Post Number: 5455
Posted on Thursday, October 04, 2007 - 4:56 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Sorta, the 1850 Chene House was taken down (via backhoe) on a Sunday! Not sure if the city or Anita's people did the actual demo, but CAY was in cahoots. By the time the courts opened up on Monday AM, it was too late.

Raptor56
Username: Raptor56

Post Number: 127
Posted on Thursday, October 04, 2007 - 5:07 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

out of curiosity as well, why was Anita in favor of tearing it down?

Detroit313
Username: Detroit313

Post Number: 494
Posted on Thursday, October 04, 2007 - 5:19 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Whatever was demo in the central city for the highway;

i.e. I-96 that continues to destroy Grand River today,

I-75 that cuts downtown from midtown apart, and eastern market from N.E. downtown!

<313>

Jams
Username: Jams

Post Number: 6419
Posted on Thursday, October 04, 2007 - 5:34 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

The way I heard it, the judge issued a restraining order not to take down Chene House, one of the oldest houses in the city. Anita defied the order and had the building ripped down anyway. Is that essentially correct?

The restraining order was lifted around 3 or 4pm on a Friday, too late to do anything about it until Monday a.m.

The demolition was started around 1 a.m. Sunday morning from the back (Larned side), I drove Larned around 7a.m. that morning and was shocked to see the damage.

At that point there was so much damage to the building, it would have pointless to try to save it, so the demolition continued.

Will never visit that IHOP for any reason.

I also remember the promise made to the City that it would be a 24-Hour restaurant. It was, for about 3 months.

Pinewood73
Username: Pinewood73

Post Number: 61
Posted on Thursday, October 04, 2007 - 5:35 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

A little bit before I can remember, but what about Hamtramck?

Couldn't they have put that plant somewhere else.