Discuss Detroit » Hall of Fame Threads » Fantastic Day in the D « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Nem
Username: Nem

Post Number: 31
Posted on Monday, October 22, 2007 - 2:55 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I just wanted to tell everyone that my wife and I brought my parents down to Detroit for the Lions game yesterday and we had an absolutely fabulous time in the city. My folks grew up in the city and rarely come down anymore. They avoid the city not because of fear or insecurity, but rather because it upsets them to see areas they used to live and play in and see the harsh condition that most of these places are in today. However, I convinced them to join my wife and I for the game. We parked at the Ren Cen and took the people mover over to Grand Circus Park and walked from there to the field. My parents were shocked at the number of both newly renovated buildings and buildings currently undergoing renovation. After the game, we went over to Chelli's Chili for dinner. There was a 40 minute wait so we decided to do some walking. We walked all around the areas surrounding Grand Circus Park and they were very very impressed with the progress the city is making. We finished our dinner (which was fantastic btw) and were going to head back to the people mover station when my father said "You know, we have had more fun today down here than we have had in at least 20 some years, do you mind if we walk back instead of just sitting on the train?" I was shocked to say the least. I constantly tell friends and family about all the positive improvements the city has been making over the last few years. But I believe they are so used to seeing the negative through the local news and television that they rarely set out in search of the positive. I am so happy and proud that the city left them with a good impression for the first time in a very long time.

Detroit_stylin
Username: Detroit_stylin

Post Number: 5228
Posted on Monday, October 22, 2007 - 3:17 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thats an excellent story...

Jimaz
Username: Jimaz

Post Number: 3578
Posted on Monday, October 22, 2007 - 4:04 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

"You know, we have had more fun today down here than we have had in at least 20 some years, do you mind if we walk back instead of just sitting on the train?"

Wow. That's quite a testimony. May I ask where they live for comparison?

Charlottepaul
Username: Charlottepaul

Post Number: 1843
Posted on Monday, October 22, 2007 - 4:07 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Experience counts for more than perception.

Nem

Post Number: 32
Posted on Monday, October 22, 2007 - 6:41 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Jimaz,

My mom was born in Detroit and lived there until her later years of grade school when she moved to St. Claire Shores. Both her parents worked, however, so much of her teenage years were spent in Detroit with her grandmother and grandfather who owned a home on Spring Garden St. right at Chalmers and Seymour on Detroit's east side. My fathers parents moved from the west side of the city when he was a baby to Royal Oak, but did much of their shopping and dining downtown even into his early years of adulthood. Today, my parents live in Shelby Township and, though it may not be very popular on this forum, are happy with the area they live in. They do, however, hope the city continues making strides to rebuild and plan to visit far more often. A little extra for anyone that may find this interesting, my Great Grandparents (dream home as they used to call it) on Spring Garden was vacated roughly 10 years ago (after years of neglect) and was demolished last year ironically during the same month that my Great Grandmother passed away. Sorry if I went a bit beyond answering your question...I get a little carried away when it comes to this kind of stuff :-)

Ptero
Username: Ptero

Post Number: 144
Posted on Monday, October 22, 2007 - 6:52 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Don't blame ya a bit. Good stuff.

Lowell
Board Administrator
Username: Lowell

Post Number: 4262
Posted on Monday, October 22, 2007 - 7:18 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Great story Nem - winning back the heart of Detroit one soul at time.

I sometimes describe folks like your parents as Detroit's lost generation - a whole generation of metropolitan Detroiters who stopped visiting downtown, or just blasted through, and basically wrote it out of their experience.

As a result they all have to relearn downtown, where to park, where to eat and drink, what's new, and more often than not they are coming away pleasantly surprised and pleased.

Having someone like you hold their hand the first time never hurts. Good job.

Jimaz
Username: Jimaz

Post Number: 3584
Posted on Monday, October 22, 2007 - 7:43 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Nem, HA! That explains it. I live in Shelby Township too and although contented, I can't say it's a place designed to be "fun."

quote:

They do, however, hope the city continues making strides to rebuild and plan to visit far more often.

Excellent. I think there's a lot more support in the 'burbs for Detroit than we're led to believe.

Thanks for your support! :-)

Parkguy
Username: Parkguy

Post Number: 126
Posted on Monday, October 22, 2007 - 10:43 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I know many, many people in the suburbs who grew up in Detroit, love what it was, and cry at "what has happened" to it. True, they left the city behind for a variety of reasons, but they still don't like destroyed neighborhoods where their homes were. (I'm not trying to hijack this thread with these comments-- just an observation.) They WANT to love the city, but the places of their childhood are gone. Where's the connection for them? They have to make new connections. I think many folks are reconnecting to downtown and midtown and the riverfront. We should help them reconnect to their old neighborhoods, too. And when I say "we" I mean everybody-- city and suburb dwellers alike. I'm really glad your parents had such a good time, Nem. My wife and I had just such a night a few weeks ago with my daughter and son-in-law. Let's all have many more. I can guarantee that Nem's parents have shared their experiences with their friends.

Nem

Post Number: 33
Posted on Wednesday, October 24, 2007 - 1:14 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yes they have shared their experience with many people already, and I have a sort of "follow up" story pertaining to that. Just yesterday, I met my parents and my grandparents (on both sides, at 23 years of age i am very fortunate to have all 4 grandparents still living) for a quick bite to eat and the entire conversation was on how impressed my parents were with the city and how much fun they had. They plan, before the weather turns really cold, to spend a day or two downtown showing my grandparents everything I showed them. I hope that they walk away with a new and healthier impression similar to the way my parents did.