Discuss Detroit » Hall of Fame Threads » State sells Northville mental hospital site to developer « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Thejesus
Username: Thejesus

Post Number: 2521
Posted on Thursday, October 25, 2007 - 9:14 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Finally!

http://www.freep.com/apps/pbcs .dll/article?AID=/20071025/NEW S02/71024061&imw=Y

It's the last massive undeveloped parcel of land along the I-275 corridor

Schostak plans to turn it into a mixed retail, residential and commercial development...

http://www.schostak.com/develo pments/images/Northville%20Aer ial.JPG

http://www.schostak.com/develo pments/images/Northville%20Ren dering.JPG

http://www.schostak.com/develo pments/images/Northville%20Mas ter%20Site%20Plan.JPG

http://www.schostak.com/develo pments/images/Northville%20Sit e%20Plan.JPG

Johnlodge
Username: Johnlodge

Post Number: 3238
Posted on Thursday, October 25, 2007 - 9:15 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

That web site is really nice looking and easy to use, isn't it? :-)

Charlottepaul
Username: Charlottepaul

Post Number: 1857
Posted on Thursday, October 25, 2007 - 9:20 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Think that they will allow mentally unstable people to live in any of those residential units?
Maybe some sort of "sec. 8" for the mentally retarded?

Blueidone
Username: Blueidone

Post Number: 152
Posted on Thursday, October 25, 2007 - 9:30 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

It looks like a beautiful plan. My question is: With the economy and the housing market the way they are, do you think this will happen anytime soon? There are so many homes on the market now, and so much empty office space, I find it hard to believe that this development will do well, at least in the foreseeable future.

Thejesus

Post Number: 2522
Posted on Thursday, October 25, 2007 - 9:45 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

^this development likely wouldn't be completed until 2010-2011...it's a big undertaking...Things should (hopefully)be somewhat back to normal by then...

Blueidone
Username: Blueidone

Post Number: 153
Posted on Thursday, October 25, 2007 - 9:55 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I hope so, Tj! What is the western boundary of that property? It doesn't show on the map and I'm not familiar with the area.

Thejesus

Post Number: 2523
Posted on Thursday, October 25, 2007 - 9:59 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I believe it extends all the way to Northville road (Novi road if north of 8-mile)

Rb336
Username: Rb336

Post Number: 3176
Posted on Thursday, October 25, 2007 - 10:20 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

nice to see they are preserving some of the green space

Rsa
Username: Rsa

Post Number: 1297
Posted on Thursday, October 25, 2007 - 10:29 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

jeez; take a look at the second rendering. how does that song go? "they paved paradise and put up a parking lot..."

Thejesus

Post Number: 2524
Posted on Thursday, October 25, 2007 - 10:42 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

^kinda hard to have a development like this if the people who go there have nowhere to park their cars

56packman
Username: 56packman

Post Number: 1848
Posted on Thursday, October 25, 2007 - 10:50 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

You'd have to be crazy to live there!

Rsa

Post Number: 1299
Posted on Thursday, October 25, 2007 - 10:52 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

oh, that's ok then. let keep tearing down all of our natural areas so people can park in a development that is not needed.

Thejesus

Post Number: 2525
Posted on Thursday, October 25, 2007 - 10:54 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

if we limited ourselves to development that was needed, then we'd all be living in 8x8 shacks...

It's always humorous to hear anti-development people act like they are concerned about farmland and "natural areas"

Johnlodge

Post Number: 3247
Posted on Thursday, October 25, 2007 - 10:55 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

What makes you think they aren't?

Rsa

Post Number: 1300
Posted on Thursday, October 25, 2007 - 10:59 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

ummm, have you been paying attention to the economy here in metro detroit? foreclosures at an all time high, malls being vacated while new one are being built, office vacancy at an all time high, people moving out of state because there aren't any jobs. this isn't an anti-development stance, it's common sense. don't you think that maybe we should correct some of these problems before tearing out irreplaceable things? why don't you think a little bit before getting condescending to people that don't share your opinion.

Thejesus

Post Number: 2526
Posted on Thursday, October 25, 2007 - 11:04 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"What makes you think they aren't?"

Because their primary concern is to make thing so people have no option other that to live in dense, urban areas...if we develop farm land, this reduces density...so, when they fail to succeed in convincing people that we SHOULD focus on developing urban areas, they instead flip to the other side of the coin and try to argue that their concern is that we SHOULDN'T develop farmland and natural areas...

I'm not saying they are wrong for wanting density...I'm just saying they are completely full of shit (or at least that they over exaggerate)when they say they are concerned about farmland and trees

Johnlodge

Post Number: 3248
Posted on Thursday, October 25, 2007 - 11:08 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Many people are genuinely concerned about overdevelopment of natural areas, especially in SE Michigan. There are some amateur urban planners on this forum, no doubt, but I wouldn't throw everybody into that category.

Paulmcall
Username: Paulmcall

Post Number: 483
Posted on Thursday, October 25, 2007 - 11:15 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Get real guys. They aren't going to just tear down those hospital buildings and let it go green.
The city wants tax revenue and it hasn't been farm land in a hell of a long time.
By the way, Rocky's restaurant across the street (on 7 mile)is pretty good.

Novine
Username: Novine

Post Number: 190
Posted on Thursday, October 25, 2007 - 11:38 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Actually, I don't think the township (Northville Township, not city) is all that hyped about the supposed benefits. They fought long and hard to limit the amount of development, in part because of the impacts on the Township, perceived negative impact on downtown Northville and impact on natural resources. From the Township's view, I don't think they think they NEED this development like some other communities do. Will it give them some additional revenues? Sure but they are also probably concerned about the costs that are going to be generated.

Paulmcall

Post Number: 485
Posted on Thursday, October 25, 2007 - 5:04 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

There has been an environmental problem that is one of the sticking points to.

Focusonthed
Username: Focusonthed

Post Number: 1400
Posted on Thursday, October 25, 2007 - 5:23 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

It's the last massive undeveloped parcel of land along the I-275 corridor

You say this like removing it would be a success.

Look, I'm as much for density as the next guy (and in fact, strictly adhering to that would dictate that I support developing this parcel, because it's already surrounded by development), but it's strange to see someone proud of removing the last vestige of nature in the area.

Unfortunately, the undeveloped portion is the one with the highest value--not the part containing the hospital.

Jt1
Username: Jt1

Post Number: 10595
Posted on Thursday, October 25, 2007 - 6:29 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

I'm not saying they are wrong for wanting density...I'm just saying they are completely full of shit (or at least that they over exaggerate)when they say they are concerned about farmland and trees

Once again tj with his in depth knowledge of what everyone thinks.

Paulmcall

Post Number: 489
Posted on Friday, October 26, 2007 - 12:13 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

If the township was so concerned about not developing stuff, they never would have allowed those condos off Haggerty Road just south of Six Mile Road.
They can't seem to sell them and prices have dropped like a rock. Plus, who would want to be that close to an intersection that is so heavily travelled?
A money grab gone bad.

Focusonthed
Username: Focusonthed

Post Number: 1404
Posted on Friday, October 26, 2007 - 12:56 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

On another note, 7 Mile and Haggerty are much less heavily-trafficked than I thought. Why is that intersection always such a pain? Traffic counts are quite low.

Paulmcall

Post Number: 492
Posted on Friday, October 26, 2007 - 1:12 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Schoolcraft College is just down the street, the Home Depot is on the corner and the Movie complex is just down th block. You also have a Meijers, Cosco, Target etc. plus a ton of restaurants all located along Haggerty Road. Thrown in people getting off work in rush hours and that might answer your question. The 272 freeway is also close by.
The funny thing is that from 8pm to 6am things are almost dead along there.

Thejesus

Post Number: 2532
Posted on Friday, October 26, 2007 - 1:51 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"Once again tj with his in depth knowledge of what everyone thinks."

Jt1:

You're the only one on the board who has trouble grasping the concept of a generalization. You always seem to point out that I'm generalizing as if it somehow rebuts my point, but you need to stop and ask yourself why it is that you're the only one who thinks so.

A generalization applies to the group as a whole, and not necessarily to every individual member within the group.

Let me try to illustrate for you...

For example, I might say that the Detroit Lions have sucked for the past 20 years...now, that statement does not attribute anything to each individual player within that group...they've had some great players over that time period, yes? You with me? But the statement does apply to the group AS A WHOLE...good? yes?

So, in the future, please remember this post whenever you see someone make a generalization about a group of people so that you might join in on the conversation on the same level as the rest of us...

good luck...

Iheartthed
Username: Iheartthed

Post Number: 2003
Posted on Friday, October 26, 2007 - 1:53 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

^The Detroit Lions is a single entity.

Thejesus

Post Number: 2533
Posted on Friday, October 26, 2007 - 1:57 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"The Detroit Lions is a single entity."

Grammatically speaking, you are correct.

The problem is, you sound like a high school dropout when you say, "The Detroit Lions has sucked for the past 20 years".

Iheartthed
Username: Iheartthed

Post Number: 2004
Posted on Friday, October 26, 2007 - 2:28 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The problem is, you sound like a high school dropout when you say, "The Detroit Lions has sucked for the past 20 years".

The more important point to take away is that as a single entity, you would be speaking specifically about said entity's performance. A generalization would be to say NFC teams have sucked for the past 20 years.

Thejesus

Post Number: 2535
Posted on Friday, October 26, 2007 - 2:47 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Fair enough, but I could just as easily have said that Detroit's professional football players have done poorly in the NFL over the past 20 years and everyone would understand that this statement is a generalization that that applies to the successes of the group as a whole and does not go to the individual abilities of players like Sanders, Moore, Spielman, etc.

Further, my original statement is actually correct if the reader reads it as as the Detroit Lions (plural, as in not just one Detroit Lion, but more than one, or all) have sucked, rather than The Detroit Lions Football Organization (singular) has sucked

(Message edited by thejesus on October 26, 2007)

Jt1

Post Number: 10601
Posted on Friday, October 26, 2007 - 4:32 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

tj - I understand what a generalization is. You however seem unable to grasp the fact that one has to have some knowledge of a subject to generalize. An internet forum and conversations with a few downtown residents is not enough information to generalize.

Generalizing implies some level of knowledge which you completely lack. Now using your example let's say that the Lions have sucked for 20 years but you have seen one game. Speaking like an expert on the subject just makes you look foolish.

Remember that when you post in the future. Your posts illustrate the depths of your knowledge of what 'Detroiters' think and where you get your impressions. My apologies if your lack of interaction with anyone beyond downtown and a forum is an issue with you.

Jt1

Post Number: 10602
Posted on Friday, October 26, 2007 - 4:34 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

One more point to consider. DO you realize how pyocritical you look when you get all pissy about people generalizing Livonia as racist for what a few have said? Your depth of knowledge on Detroiters is no different than many on the thoughts of Livonia residents.

Continue to be a hypocrite if you will.

Thejesus

Post Number: 2536
Posted on Friday, October 26, 2007 - 4:45 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I like how you feel that its unfair for other posters to generalize but its not a problem for you to treat your false assumptions as if they were fact.

P.S. Detroiters are violent : o

Novine

Post Number: 194
Posted on Friday, October 26, 2007 - 4:56 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

How could we so soon forget the Wayne Fontes years? Ah, the glory days of Lions Football.

Zephyrprocess
Username: Zephyrprocess

Post Number: 514
Posted on Saturday, October 27, 2007 - 1:52 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

There is no truth to the rumor that Wayne Fontes spent any post-retirement time in Northville Psych

Renfirst
Username: Renfirst

Post Number: 68
Posted on Saturday, October 27, 2007 - 8:43 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

LOL. We used to have our offices in the Seven Miles Crossing building inbetween 275 and Haggarty. With the mortgage meltdown, we saw a lot of office space empty out (Option One, Decision One, First Horizon, and some others had office space there and they've all left). We ended up moving to Farmington ourselves because the location was getting to be a problem. The traffice on Haggarty between 6 and 8 mile can be terribly frustrating.

I'm sure this development will add to it.

Those office spaces would sit empty for years. It's just unbelievable how pointless this kind of development really is.

Thejesus

Post Number: 2539
Posted on Saturday, October 27, 2007 - 8:49 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

^I agree...kind of a pointless location for office buildings...the only good thing is the Andiamo's that just opened in the parking lot...

Mauser765
Username: Mauser765

Post Number: 2012
Posted on Saturday, October 27, 2007 - 9:16 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"What is the western boundary of that property?"

State Police station and a radio tower.

Thejesus

Post Number: 2540
Posted on Saturday, October 27, 2007 - 10:35 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"State Police station and a radio tower."

If you look at the fist image, it looks like the property extends behing the police station all the way to Northville road

Zephyrprocess

Post Number: 515
Posted on Saturday, October 27, 2007 - 11:40 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Strictly speaking, the western-most boundary would abut the railroad tracks slightly to the east of, and roughly parallel to Northville Road.

Renfirst
Username: Renfirst

Post Number: 69
Posted on Sunday, October 28, 2007 - 12:03 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

thejesus ... they're opening an Andiamo's on 7 and Haggarty? That location is cursed. Hope it does well.

Novine

Post Number: 197
Posted on Sunday, October 28, 2007 - 12:49 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

If I recall, Beaumont is already committed to the medical office portion of the development. On the other hand, in the aerial, you can see that there's still undeveloped land in the Victor Corporate Park across 275 in Livonia. Makes you wonder how strong the market is for a lot of additional office? There's similar vacant property fronting on Haggerty in Novi just north of 8 Mile. Doesn't sound like there's a lot of demand for a lot of new office space. But I could see some users being attracted to the "downtown" concept that the developer is pitching.

Jt1

Post Number: 10603
Posted on Sunday, October 28, 2007 - 11:34 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

I like how you feel that its unfair for other posters to generalize but its not a problem for you to treat your false assumptions as if they were fact.

Hello pot.

Iseries840
Username: Iseries840

Post Number: 506
Posted on Sunday, October 28, 2007 - 4:19 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Where did the mental patients go when they closed that hospital?

Zephyrprocess

Post Number: 516
Posted on Sunday, October 28, 2007 - 5:32 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

Where did the mental patients go when they closed that hospital?

DetroitYES>>Non-Detroit Issues

Thejesus

Post Number: 2541
Posted on Sunday, October 28, 2007 - 5:57 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"thejesus ... they're opening an Andiamo's on 7 and Haggarty? That location is cursed. Hope it does well."

It opened last week. We just went yesterday. They did a really, really nice job remodeling the outside (new paint, lots of lighting) and decorating the inside (really nice dinner atmosphere).

One of the problems with that building was that it was not visible from 7 Mile road, but the first thing Andiamo did was remove all the trees and brush that obstructed the view, so now anyone getting off of I-275 at 7 Mile can't miss it...

Jt1

Post Number: 10604
Posted on Sunday, October 28, 2007 - 8:44 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Andiamo carries enough name recognition now that people will seek it out. Ceretainly gives them an advantage over a new one of a kind place that may open there.