Discuss Detroit » Hall of Fame Threads » Oslo » Archive through July 10, 2007 « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Bussey
Username: Bussey

Post Number: 536
Posted on Monday, July 09, 2007 - 3:40 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Has anyone heard anything about what is planned for this space. I miss their music and sushi; the white owl beer just isn't as good at Fishbones.

Higgs1634
Username: Higgs1634

Post Number: 134
Posted on Monday, July 09, 2007 - 4:26 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Suprising that someone hasnt snapped that place up. they did a great job creating the space. Too bad it didnt work out. Sounds like the owners were long on vision and short on execution.

Detroitnerd
Username: Detroitnerd

Post Number: 1153
Posted on Monday, July 09, 2007 - 4:34 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

It's going to be reborn as a place where people do cocaine and dance.

Higgs1634
Username: Higgs1634

Post Number: 135
Posted on Monday, July 09, 2007 - 4:36 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

how is that different from what it was?

Bussey

Post Number: 537
Posted on Monday, July 09, 2007 - 4:39 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

True True True.....

In the basement there was often more coke on the tables than drinks.

Still a cool place though.

Detroitnerd
Username: Detroitnerd

Post Number: 1154
Posted on Monday, July 09, 2007 - 4:39 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Haha. *exactly*

Jit
Username: Jit

Post Number: 6
Posted on Monday, July 09, 2007 - 5:18 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

There are new owners who are keeping the name Oslo. They are remodeling the upstairs for a larger kitchen since they are expanding the menu.

BTW - That picture is of the upstairs, not the basement. In total, there were three coffee tables downstairs. I frequented the bar regularly and every time I went there drinks were on those tables, not coke.

Downtown_remix
Username: Downtown_remix

Post Number: 406
Posted on Monday, July 09, 2007 - 5:46 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

this is probably the hottest spot in town. I was very disappointed when it closed, but remained optimistic someone else will come in and make it re-open. The Woodward cooridor seems to get one new retailer a year and can't afford to loose one that acually works. Salad Creations stepped in and fit the profile for what we needed. 2 sporting goods stores,CVS, Borders, 'Detroit Breakfast house, 'Hardrock cafe', 'The Woodward' all represent much needed retail for the cooridor.

Urbanize
Username: Urbanize

Post Number: 1624
Posted on Monday, July 09, 2007 - 7:03 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"2 sporting goods stores"

Don't forget Tall-Eez and Eastern. What are the 2 Sporting Good Stores?

Bussey

Post Number: 538
Posted on Monday, July 09, 2007 - 7:16 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Jit,

I realize that the photo was of the upstairs. I did go there once or twice....

I wasn't trying to vilify the previous owners just comment on how I did see people doing cocaine there. I really didn't care about it since it was a really cool club/restaurant.

Easy

Downtown_remix

Post Number: 409
Posted on Monday, July 09, 2007 - 7:22 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

bee's sportin goods is one, the other is next door

Urbanize

Post Number: 1628
Posted on Monday, July 09, 2007 - 7:22 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hmm, they must be Second level stores then.

Downtown_remix

Post Number: 410
Posted on Monday, July 09, 2007 - 7:31 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

lol, no there basically across from studio catour

Urbanize

Post Number: 1629
Posted on Monday, July 09, 2007 - 7:47 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I wouldn't necessarily consider Athlete's Foot and J-Bees Sporting GOODS Stores like Dunham's or some other place.

Bussey

Post Number: 539
Posted on Monday, July 09, 2007 - 8:03 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

couture, my dear Watson.

Cmyk
Username: Cmyk

Post Number: 13
Posted on Monday, July 09, 2007 - 10:00 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Oslo was a great place to go if you wanted to be ignored by the staff when placing a carryout order. I'm sure the sushi would have been delicious.

Jiscodazz
Username: Jiscodazz

Post Number: 38
Posted on Monday, July 09, 2007 - 11:11 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Funny, I was just talking about OSLO with my wife. I'd heard from a couple former employees that the owners were "running the place into the ground". It sounds like they didn't really know what they were doing or just didn't care enough to make it work. It has a ton of potential, but like everything else in Detroit, very few takers.

Gannon
Username: Gannon

Post Number: 9543
Posted on Tuesday, July 10, 2007 - 1:07 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

This thread brought out a few newbies, welcome anyone with less than 40 posts!!

Spaceboykelly
Username: Spaceboykelly

Post Number: 238
Posted on Tuesday, July 10, 2007 - 1:40 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Being on the guestlist just isn't the same now that you're gone Oslo.

I heard that the new owners are aiming for less techno and more hip hop and I really hope that rumor is untrue (not that hip hop is horrible but it's already accounted for elsewhere).

Civilprotectionunit4346
Username: Civilprotectionunit4346

Post Number: 173
Posted on Tuesday, July 10, 2007 - 7:37 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The owners should focus less on the music and more on customer service. If your going to have a night club that plays hip-hop you got 2 right up the street. They should focus on having local rock bands play there.

Club_boss
Username: Club_boss

Post Number: 164
Posted on Tuesday, July 10, 2007 - 8:25 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Music is the key to a successful evening:

Hip-Hop nights were the most lucrative and well attended nights I ever had at a nightclub.

I did Hip-Hop about twice a month and was very happy with the register receipts at the end of the evening, big spenders.

Live Rock Bands are just about equal when it comes to drinkers, Hip-Hop having a slight edge.

I liked Hip-Hop nights, puts an edge on the evening. The majority of security I had was off-duty police officers and I had several of them. Never had one fight, having the po-lease seemed to be a deterrent.

I started out with these special Saturdays by doing EDM (electronic dance music), which went nowhere as far alcohol sales.

As the only source of revenue for the bar is alcohol, drink sales are key to any night being successful. Having good promoters for an event helps, but the bottom line is the people attending must be drinkers, or all of the planning is for nothing.

The cover charge is for the entertainment, and if your lucky, it will pay for some of the security, again, the group must drink alcohol.

Drinking water and dancing the night away is fine, except the bar is losing money, I tried and tried w/ EDM and it was always the same.

Hip-Hop and Rock Bands never let me, or the bar down.

Motorcitydave
Username: Motorcitydave

Post Number: 27
Posted on Tuesday, July 10, 2007 - 9:06 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I just wish they would focus on bringing back the Sushi first off, it was the best around... and worry about the 'night club' second.

Vintagesoul
Username: Vintagesoul

Post Number: 19
Posted on Tuesday, July 10, 2007 - 10:50 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I also heard the owners had run it into the ground. This was from someone who worked there right up until the end. I'm sad that it's gone, but glad to hear that it may be back. Even if it is a hip hop venue. Maybe it will cater more to the underground hip hop scene instead of the mainstream. Much better in my opinion. Brings in a much different, more peaceful crowd. Not necessarily fight-free, but better. I've worked at a club where the hip hop was mainstream and almost gotten killed/trampled to death/taken advantage of... it can get very rowdy.

Rock will be great too if they decide to go that route... I'm happy to see any store front stay open especially on Woodward. I think it keeps the ball rolling with development.

I hope the service will be better this time, and that the sushi will be just as good. I miss the jalapeno cream cheese tempura rolls... mmmmmmm....

Islandman
Username: Islandman

Post Number: 645
Posted on Tuesday, July 10, 2007 - 10:56 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Oslo is much too small to be a hiphop venue. It was much too small to be a techno venue, but it definitely had a unique design that made it more of a boutique bar a la NYC.

6nois
Username: 6nois

Post Number: 371
Posted on Tuesday, July 10, 2007 - 11:03 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I liked it the way it was, hopefully it can be preserved in its new form. Hip-hop or rock just wouldn't be the same, as for drinking it doesn't matter what I go to I can't, it sucks.

Jt1
Username: Jt1

Post Number: 9533
Posted on Tuesday, July 10, 2007 - 11:05 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

I just wish they would focus on bringing back the Sushi first off, it was the best around... and worry about the 'night club' second.

It depends which brings in the revenue and keeps it in business. It's great if the sushi sales pay the bills. If not they are better off focusing on the club part of the business.

Vas
Username: Vas

Post Number: 749
Posted on Tuesday, July 10, 2007 - 11:17 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

that Sushi was great

Club_boss

Post Number: 169
Posted on Tuesday, July 10, 2007 - 11:34 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Sushi’s OK, it probably has a 30% raw unadjusted food cost associated with it, so it needs to sell, and sell out.

I assume there are only a few places around that carry Sushi grade, it could be a selling point or draw.

Target bar (nightclub) audience is 21 to 34 years old; they are our best customers.

As far as fights go, it comes with the territory, the nightclub territory that is, unless it’s a Jazz Club or a tavern filled w/ old men.

Hip-Hop, Rock, Latino, even Country music; the audience is young men and woman, they are consuming alcohol and mixing it up does happen, that’s when you meet the bouncers, very few people will fight w/ the bouncers, usually a fight means pulling two guys apart that are fighting over a female.

If the men act like gentlemen and the women act like ladies you will treated as one, act like a fool and you will be treated like a fool, it's up to you, it's your decision.

Islandman
Username: Islandman

Post Number: 649
Posted on Tuesday, July 10, 2007 - 11:40 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Because bouncers are never overzealous in these here parts. Right.

Club_boss

Post Number: 170
Posted on Tuesday, July 10, 2007 - 11:50 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Over jealous bouncers are common and one need look no further than Detroitclubscene.com to read about the complaints that some nightclubs receive about their doormen.

Many clubs are financially strapped and hiring bouncers on the cheap is a frequent occurrence in many cities.

Bouncers that consume “Canned Man” all day and then come to work wishing a fight would break out.

Hiring off duty police officers to do security is expensive and many clubs will go the cheap route and hire bullies or thugs themselves.