Discuss Detroit » Hall of Fame Threads » Work @ the Book Cadillac » Archive through September 29, 2007 « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Detroit313
Username: Detroit313

Post Number: 455
Posted on Tuesday, August 14, 2007 - 9:53 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Ziggaurts are bad for your health.

Didn't anyone see "Thank You For Not Smoking"?

:-):-):-):-):-):-):-):-)

<313>

Burnsie
Username: Burnsie

Post Number: 1127
Posted on Wednesday, August 15, 2007 - 10:34 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Rbdetsport-- Restoring the top of the mechanical penthouse to its correct height wouldn't have detracted from or affected the ziggurats. The top of the penthouse was distinctive in its own right.

Detroitbill
Username: Detroitbill

Post Number: 289
Posted on Wednesday, August 15, 2007 - 11:59 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Was just walking along the Windsor riverfront at noon and looking at the Detroit skyline, The Book looks absolutely great from afar now that its been washed, new windows, roof ,ziggaurts and some of the improvements are being installed,. Looks like a real gem.

Mdoyle
Username: Mdoyle

Post Number: 173
Posted on Wednesday, August 15, 2007 - 2:24 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I would still kill to see the original cornice replaced, After the investment thats already invested you'd think it'd just be a drop in the bucket and one that would make an already great project just that much better.

Gistok
Username: Gistok

Post Number: 5110
Posted on Wednesday, August 15, 2007 - 2:27 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Does the lower mechanical penthouse lower the "official" height of the building? Seems that most building heights don't include mechanical.

Since it's not plainly visible from either Michigan or Washington Blvd., it shouldn't affect the skyline view of it from those streets.

As for why they did that... one would assume that a lot has changed in technology since 1924, and perhaps they didn't need the extra height for elevator clearance, or whatever else it was used for.

And as for historic tax credits.... perhaps mechanical areas of buildings are exempt from the restrictions put upon by those credits.

Burnsie

Post Number: 1128
Posted on Wednesday, August 15, 2007 - 2:28 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Well, I guess that regarding the top of the penthouse and the big upper cornice, at least there's always a chance that they will replaced someday. Whereas, if the building had been torn down, restoring those things would definitely never happen!

Rsa
Username: Rsa

Post Number: 1222
Posted on Wednesday, August 15, 2007 - 3:41 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

the big change in mechanical designs in buildings has to do with fire suppression. in the first half of the century technology was not to a point where generators and/or pumps could sufficiently provide coverage on the upper floors of buildings. the solution was to locate giant tanks of water on the roof (usually in towers) so that gravity could feed the water to sprinklers on every floor. this also negated the need for a generator in case the power went out. today technology is sufficient and efficient enough to pump water to all reaches of the building. thus, the giant tanks are no longer needed and can be removed. (ref. broderick tower. the towers in the hudson's and metropolitan building also housed these types of tanks)

in very general terms there are two different types of historic tax credits that can be utilized: exterior/facade and interior. exterior dictates that you restore the facade to historical appearance (generally going back fifty years, not necessarily when the building was originally constructed). where you cannot exactly replicate and/or restore elements, historically sympathetic/corresponding elements can be applied for. thus, if the proportions are similar the dimensions do not have to be exactly the same. this is also limited to the distinctive elements of a facade which don't always include service elements like a mechanical penthouse (ref. lafer building mechanical penthouse).

for the interior you have to renovate the public areas of the building to accurate styles, but more importantly, have them remain in their current location. these areas include, but are not limited to, lobbies, ballrooms, hallways, etc. these areas do not include service areas such as mechanical penthouses. (this was the reason why the statler could not utilize interior credits: keeping the hallways in their location would have made the remaining space on either side uneconomical.)

Wschnitt
Username: Wschnitt

Post Number: 31
Posted on Wednesday, August 15, 2007 - 6:04 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I was there today and they were putting cornice on maybe the 20th story, they were starting on the Griswold side.

French777
Username: French777

Post Number: 202
Posted on Sunday, August 19, 2007 - 7:22 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

is that dust problem people complained about solved?

Beantown
Username: Beantown

Post Number: 59
Posted on Tuesday, August 28, 2007 - 9:50 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Here are some recent pics of the addition to the Book-Cadillac.
http://www.flickr.com/photo_zoom.gne?id=1262259993&size=l
http://www.flickr.com/photo_zoom.gne?id=1263115518&size=l

I believe that the portion currently under construction (pictured) will house a restaurant or two, and perhaps the hotel kitchen. The NE corner of the addition (in the background, with the crane and backhoe) will house the pool, health club/spa, and the largest ballroom/conference room.

(Message edited by beantown on August 28, 2007)

Llyn
Username: Llyn

Post Number: 1858
Posted on Tuesday, August 28, 2007 - 10:35 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thanks for the pics BT.

Gistok
Username: Gistok

Post Number: 5226
Posted on Tuesday, August 28, 2007 - 10:57 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I would love to see an architectural drawing of the new larger ballroom.

Charlottepaul
Username: Charlottepaul

Post Number: 1553
Posted on Wednesday, August 29, 2007 - 6:56 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"The NE corner of the addition (in the background, with the crane and backhoe) will house the pool, health club/spa, and the largest ballroom/conference room."

Interesting. I sort of left the corner of the block out of my mind in the overall project. Will there be windows overlooking Capitol Park?

Beantown

Post Number: 60
Posted on Wednesday, August 29, 2007 - 8:06 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The large ballroom/conference room in the building addition will be on the second floor (above the pool and fitness center), and will have vaulted ceilings that extend into the third floor plan.

I'm guessing and hoping that it will have windows looking NE into Capitol Park - that would be outstanding! I'll try to get another peek at that floorplan...

Beantown

Post Number: 61
Posted on Wednesday, September 05, 2007 - 7:18 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Here is a photo taken from Capitol Park that shows the north penthouse tower still under re-construction and the south penthouse tower whose exterior looks complete.
http://www.flickr.com/photo_zo om.gne?id=1329792544&size=l

If you look carefully you can see the difference in shade between the old bricks and the new.

The intricate, brick-by-brick details are amazing considering the massive overall scale of the project.

Burnsie

Post Number: 1142
Posted on Wednesday, September 05, 2007 - 12:58 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

What's the squarish brick protrusion atop the Shelby St. wing? It's definitely new construction-- apparently was excepted from historic tax credit rules because it houses mechanical equipment?

Beantown

Post Number: 62
Posted on Wednesday, September 05, 2007 - 1:42 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Good catch, Burnsie!

In the original building layout, there were only elevators under the two mechanical penthouses visible in the picture - freight elevators near the NE corner and the main hotel elevators on the south side (front) of the building. The new building layout includes an additional elevator on the Shelby St. side that will be for condo resident use only. So I believe your presumption of mechanical equipment under that brick protrusion is correct, although I do not know if it will end up looking the way it does now once construction is complete.

Apbest
Username: Apbest

Post Number: 620
Posted on Tuesday, September 11, 2007 - 12:10 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

interesting rendering of the griswold from capitol park

http://thegriswold.com/gallery /11.jpg

Thejesus
Username: Thejesus

Post Number: 2060
Posted on Tuesday, September 11, 2007 - 12:15 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

how can that be Capitol Park? Do you see any crackheads and some bums sitting under the trees? I don't

Eric_c
Username: Eric_c

Post Number: 1035
Posted on Tuesday, September 11, 2007 - 12:34 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I thought it was Northville, what with all the pretentious twenty-something know-it-alls.

Thejesus

Post Number: 2063
Posted on Tuesday, September 11, 2007 - 12:36 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

strike a nerve, did I? just calling it like I see it...for whatever reason, they gravitate to that park in particular...

Jt1
Username: Jt1

Post Number: 10118
Posted on Tuesday, September 11, 2007 - 12:40 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

People waiting on the bus and crackheads are all the same to some.

Eric_c
Username: Eric_c

Post Number: 1036
Posted on Tuesday, September 11, 2007 - 12:42 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Well, you know...they all look alike...to some.

Thejesus

Post Number: 2065
Posted on Tuesday, September 11, 2007 - 12:48 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

lol

Charlottepaul
Username: Charlottepaul

Post Number: 1664
Posted on Tuesday, September 11, 2007 - 1:37 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Apbest, I find it interesting that the 'back side' actually looks a lot like the front. Not typical of Detroit style architecture for a side which technically faces an alley. (Not a citicism, just an FYI)

Wschnitt
Username: Wschnitt

Post Number: 36
Posted on Wednesday, September 26, 2007 - 4:33 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Does anyone have any new pictures of the B-C? I go to U-M Ann Arbor so it is hard for me to get there to see it for myself.

Eric
Username: Eric

Post Number: 934
Posted on Thursday, September 27, 2007 - 3:51 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

There was some confusion earlier about the size of the addition. A new rendering on the B-C's website shows it'll be three stories not five

http://www.starwoodhotels.com/ westin/property/overview/index .html?propertyID=3001

Also checking out the meetings & weddings section, I noticed that the Grand Ballroom will be renamed Venetian Ballroom. The new ballroom in the addition will be call the Woodward Ballroom

Rocket_city
Username: Rocket_city

Post Number: 411
Posted on Saturday, September 29, 2007 - 2:11 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Pictures from Friday, September 28 2007:
http://downtownmotown.8k.com/R ainyChicago/2007_0928DetDev09_ 28_070082.jpg
http://downtownmotown.8k.com/R ainyChicago/2007_0928DetDev09_ 28_070085.jpg
http://downtownmotown.8k.com/R ainyChicago/2007_0928DetDev09_ 28_070086.jpg
http://downtownmotown.8k.com/R ainyChicago/2007_0928DetDev09_ 28_070087.jpg
http://downtownmotown.8k.com/R ainyChicago/2007_0928DetDev09_ 28_070092.jpg
http://downtownmotown.8k.com/R ainyChicago/2007_0928DetDev09_ 28_070104.jpg
http://downtownmotown.8k.com/R ainyChicago/2007_0928DetDev09_ 28_070094.jpg

Apbest
Username: Apbest

Post Number: 628
Posted on Saturday, September 29, 2007 - 2:39 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

that detail on the second to last picture looks awesome, if only they were replacing the historic cornice

Scruffy
Username: Scruffy

Post Number: 17
Posted on Saturday, September 29, 2007 - 2:50 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

From the last photo of the Griswold site you can see them laying the caissons for its foundation.