Discuss Detroit » Hall of Fame Threads » Work @ the Book Cadillac » Archive through October 30, 2007 « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Charlottepaul
Username: Charlottepaul

Post Number: 1750
Posted on Saturday, September 29, 2007 - 7:06 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"From the last photo of the Griswold site you can see them laying the caissons for its foundation."

Beggars can't be choosers.

Flybydon
Username: Flybydon

Post Number: 174
Posted on Saturday, September 29, 2007 - 9:08 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

4/29/2007

Cmubryan
Username: Cmubryan

Post Number: 459
Posted on Sunday, September 30, 2007 - 10:25 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

No one mentioned that on the Westin site they have renderings, which look like they could be actual pictures of what the lobby, ballroom and Italian Garden will look like, VERY INTERESTING and exciting!! It looks like the original ceiling will not be restored in the lobby. It's especially interesting when you compare the pictures/renderings to old interior pictures which can be seen on forgottendetroit.com

Gistok
Username: Gistok

Post Number: 5437
Posted on Sunday, September 30, 2007 - 11:51 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Although their website pic is a computer generated image, I am somewhat disappointed that the lobby ceiling survived above drop ceilings and fluorescent lights for decades, only to be ripped out when it could have been saved...

Before:

After:

Cmubryan
Username: Cmubryan

Post Number: 460
Posted on Sunday, September 30, 2007 - 11:55 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

It also looks like the Italian Garden will not have the glass ceiling that was originally placed there. I would post the picture but I don't know about copyright laws, etc. Go to westin.com to see the picture though.

Timeless
Username: Timeless

Post Number: 3
Posted on Sunday, September 30, 2007 - 11:56 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

http://www.starwoodhotels.com/ westin/property/photos/index.h tml?propertyID=3001

Renfirst
Username: Renfirst

Post Number: 53
Posted on Monday, October 01, 2007 - 1:45 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'm getting excited ...

Burnsie
Username: Burnsie

Post Number: 1166
Posted on Monday, October 01, 2007 - 8:39 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Unfortunately, the Italian Garden will be substantially NARROWER than it originally was--to make room for a corridor or something along the north wall. And, the Crystal Ballroom will be SHORTER. There will be a staircase and elevator in part of it. See http://www.starwoodhotels.com/ westin/property/meetings/overv iew_map.html?floorVal=3&proper tyID=3001. The old Italian Garden can be seen at: http://www.forgottendetroit.co m/caddy/tour/images/bc-italian .jpg. You can see that it's wider than the new version by the width of a window/"bay": http://www.starwoodhotels.com/ pub/media/3001/wes3001re.51064 _md.jpg

I know that the historic tax credits don't mandate restoration of exact ornament and detail when a room is to be restored, but I thought the original overall dimensions had to be maintained. Oh well. I'll just keep reminding myself what the BC was like in its abandoned hulk days, and I won't mind these floor plan shortcomings as much!

(Message edited by Burnsie on October 01, 2007)

Kpm
Username: Kpm

Post Number: 66
Posted on Monday, October 01, 2007 - 10:45 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

AGC Schedules Book-Cadillac Project Tour

Details at:

http://michiganconstructionnew s.com/September%202007%20News/ agc-m-bookcadill.html

Dnvn522
Username: Dnvn522

Post Number: 291
Posted on Monday, October 01, 2007 - 11:12 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I can picture myself relaxing by the pool already!

Archy
Username: Archy

Post Number: 45
Posted on Monday, October 01, 2007 - 11:53 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Burnsie,

I think that stair and elevator was added for the condo's...I know there is a condo lobby somewhere in that area. There will also be a bridge to the 150mich/the griswold project for the condo tenants.

Scruffy
Username: Scruffy

Post Number: 18
Posted on Monday, October 01, 2007 - 12:16 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The original ornate lobby ceiling was long gone by the time Ferchill got the building (a victim of earlier gut renovations in the 50's and by no means still hiding under a drop ceiling. The Italian Garden didn't exist in any configuration. Overall, more of the original Book's style and proportions are being preserved by this re-hab than had existed in that building in most of our lifetimes. It is an unqualified victory for preservation.

Eric_c
Username: Eric_c

Post Number: 1040
Posted on Monday, October 01, 2007 - 12:31 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I can say this: in 1997 the original decorative plaster was still preserved under a drop ceiling all along the length of the ground floor promenade connecting Washington and Shelby.

Does anyone have any insight as to how, if at all, the promenade will be incorporated into the reconfigured hotel?

Dalangdon
Username: Dalangdon

Post Number: 144
Posted on Monday, October 01, 2007 - 11:46 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Actually, the lobby ceiling was still there when David was doing his pictures of the hotel for forgottendetroit.com back in the 90's.

http://www.forgottendetroit.co m/caddy/11.htm

However, it probably had a lot of holes in it from water damage as well as electrical and HVAC add-ons through the years.

Too bad they couldn't be a little more true to the original look, but Westin's branding isn't like that. With a few legacy exceptions (the St. Francis in San Francisco, for example) they tend to be pretty mod.

It's still great to see the building saved, and I'm looking forward to seeing actual pictures of the finished product. Those computer generations are kinda creepy. And who knows - maybe they will be more ornate in real life?

Gistok
Username: Gistok

Post Number: 5446
Posted on Tuesday, October 02, 2007 - 1:02 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thanks Dalangdon, I was looking all over for a lobby ceiling pic. The sad thing is that as long as the plaster ceiling isn't too water damaged, all holes can easily be repaired.

There are companies (such as Conrad Schmitt Studios) that specialize in doing that type of work. Like with the Detroit Opera House, they take rubber molds of surviving areas to recreate the missing plaster sections.

That ceiling was so beautiful, I am really surprised and saddened that they aren't including it.

Kid_dynamite
Username: Kid_dynamite

Post Number: 312
Posted on Saturday, October 13, 2007 - 2:34 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

http://www.detnews.com/apps/pb cs.dll/article?AID=/20071013/U PDATE/710130413

anybody see the chopper?

Johnlodge
Username: Johnlodge

Post Number: 3064
Posted on Saturday, October 13, 2007 - 4:58 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Caption: The project even inspired awe amongst workers.

Just look at the awe on their faces!

Lefty2
Username: Lefty2

Post Number: 354
Posted on Saturday, October 13, 2007 - 11:25 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

8 tons of shit dropped on the roof,
thats more beer than i ever drank!

Irish_mafia
Username: Irish_mafia

Post Number: 1070
Posted on Sunday, October 14, 2007 - 9:53 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

JohnLodge,

I saw that this morning.

The job of caption writer must not have high requirements.

Busterwmu
Username: Busterwmu

Post Number: 401
Posted on Sunday, October 14, 2007 - 1:31 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Anyone got any recent photomographs for those of us who don't get to drive by it everyday? :-) thanks!

Dalangdon
Username: Dalangdon

Post Number: 145
Posted on Sunday, October 14, 2007 - 9:14 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Gistok, I didn't mean to imply that they weren't recreating the original ceiling during the restoration. I have no idea of the scope of the restoration.

What I was trying to say was that the original ceiling was still there in the recent past - therefore, available for reproduction - and that the renderings on the Westin website are promoting a very generic vision for the lobby.

That is probably a function of both what the Architectural marketing person had to deal with from looking at the plans, and Westin's idea of "cool"

Personally, I'd like to see a reasonable facsimile of the original lobby, with nice chandeliers, and an open mezzanine. Heck, I'd like to see a dining room return to the space of the original Venitian Dining Room, complete with high ceilings. But that wouldn't be an effective use of the square footage - at least as far as the hospitality bean counters are concerned. ;-)

Mr_onion
Username: Mr_onion

Post Number: 191
Posted on Wednesday, October 24, 2007 - 4:42 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

AGC Schedules Book-Cadillac Project Tour

Did anyone go on this tour? Also will the New BOOK have a pool and SPA? Where will they fit it in?

Apbest
Username: Apbest

Post Number: 645
Posted on Wednesday, October 24, 2007 - 4:52 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I believe it will be in the new three story addition to the building on state street.

Lefty2
Username: Lefty2

Post Number: 477
Posted on Wednesday, October 24, 2007 - 5:39 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

i love the copper touches at the top, looked like Very good work. (and far away from the street)

Kenp
Username: Kenp

Post Number: 847
Posted on Wednesday, October 24, 2007 - 7:26 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Mr Onion,
The tour is Nov 1.
If you want to go check the link, Im looking forward to be going on the tour.

http://michiganconstructionnews.com/September%202007%20News/agc-m-bookcadill.html
(Message edited by kenp on October 24, 2007)

(Message edited by kenp on October 24, 2007)

Mr_onion

Post Number: 192
Posted on Wednesday, October 24, 2007 - 10:09 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

can't im in Fla. :-(

Kenp
Username: Kenp

Post Number: 848
Posted on Thursday, October 25, 2007 - 7:42 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I will take some pics for you Mr Onion

Beantown
Username: Beantown

Post Number: 64
Posted on Thursday, October 25, 2007 - 4:14 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I've been inside a few times this year. The project has progressed a great deal, given how much rubble and debris they have already cleared away over the course of the last year and a half, and the deconstruction and reconstruction of the two main penthouse towers. But they have a long way to go, given how the ballrooms and common areas throughout the hotel are currently bare and unfinished.

Given that, I would recommend the tour because you'll still get a good sense for the before/after.

They will have a hot tub, pool, fitness center on the first floor in the NE corner of the three-story addition. I don't remember what floor the spa is going to be on...

(Message edited by beantown on October 25, 2007)

Mr_onion

Post Number: 193
Posted on Thursday, October 25, 2007 - 4:57 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

thanks Ken,, my dad used to work up in the Radio station many moons ago in the top floor.

Rb336
Username: Rb336

Post Number: 3230
Posted on Tuesday, October 30, 2007 - 3:33 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I am trying to find some hi-res photos of the chopper doing it's thing for a friend to use in a magazine (all he can offer is photo credit)

any help out there?