Discuss Detroit » Hall of Fame Threads » Anybody remember Pinky's? « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Harpernottingham
Username: Harpernottingham

Post Number: 303
Posted on Thursday, November 08, 2007 - 9:23 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Used to be on Jefferson near Belle Isle.
Now I hear the owner is opening a place called "Pinky's Memories" in Livonia.

So who remembers?

Lefty2
Username: Lefty2

Post Number: 641
Posted on Thursday, November 08, 2007 - 9:47 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

pinky's oh pinky's how i remember it well.
there can be no replacement, in name only.
the basement, the upstairs, oh the memories.

Harpernottingham
Username: Harpernottingham

Post Number: 304
Posted on Thursday, November 08, 2007 - 10:16 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Alex is hoping to create some new memories.
Stay tuned for details.

In the meantime, I'd love to hear more memories of the old place. I'm too young to remember its heyday.

Pussygirl313
Username: Pussygirl313

Post Number: 58
Posted on Thursday, November 08, 2007 - 10:25 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I remember going there once as a kid.....
Seem like a cool interesting place.

Blueidone
Username: Blueidone

Post Number: 162
Posted on Thursday, November 08, 2007 - 11:22 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I only know the place by reputation. I had a great friend who was a waitress there for many years. She told me there were lots of "mafia types" her words...not mine...there. But she really liked working there and only retired when her back got to bad she couldn't work anymore.

Passion
Username: Passion

Post Number: 9
Posted on Thursday, November 08, 2007 - 11:35 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I loved Pinkys.

Mbr
Username: Mbr

Post Number: 254
Posted on Thursday, November 08, 2007 - 11:53 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

There's a Starbucks there now. I knew a guy who parked cars there in the '70's.

Softailrider
Username: Softailrider

Post Number: 86
Posted on Friday, November 09, 2007 - 3:19 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I remember the best pan fried perch I've ever had and bartenders who could really pour a drink, everyone was almost a double .

The_ed
Username: The_ed

Post Number: 842
Posted on Friday, November 09, 2007 - 9:56 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

http://www.jonajackson.com/dea dfolks.htm

Mulheisen was sitting in Pinky's restaurant, staring at a remarkable picture of a naked woman. Pinky's was one of his favorite places in Detroit. It was basically just an old frame house, located near the MacArthur Bridge, on Jefferson Avenue. The house had legendary associations for Mulheisen since, in his childhood, every time they passed the house in his father's car, his father or his mother would point it out as the place "where they caught those Nazis." The "Nazis" were said to be .............................. ..............

Graceful
Username: Graceful

Post Number: 4
Posted on Friday, November 09, 2007 - 1:25 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

My grandmother used to work there. If anyone ever heard of Edna Borgesi (Patricca) let me know. She passed away at a young age before I was born. I would love to hear stories about her.

Whithorn11446
Username: Whithorn11446

Post Number: 165
Posted on Friday, November 09, 2007 - 5:50 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Pinky's was a place Dave DeBusschere frequented during his days with the Pistons.

56packman
Username: 56packman

Post Number: 1893
Posted on Friday, November 09, 2007 - 6:22 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

My father also told me about Nazis hiding at Pinkey's

Hornwrecker
Username: Hornwrecker

Post Number: 1929
Posted on Friday, November 09, 2007 - 7:09 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

From pg 335, All Our Yesterdays: A Brief History of Detroit, by Arthur M & Frank Bury Woodford, WSU, Google books.

Lefty2
Username: Lefty2

Post Number: 646
Posted on Friday, November 09, 2007 - 9:14 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

My parents went there to listen to the piano bar and a nightcap and as they were walking in a man said to the hostess,
"I didn't know you have valet service, she said, we don't"

River_rat
Username: River_rat

Post Number: 305
Posted on Saturday, November 10, 2007 - 12:08 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

It was a first rate bar/restaurant for gentleman clients and their ladies. Yeah, some were shady and of less than stellar reputation, but damn interesting. Through the 50's and 60's everyone was well dressed and the food good, the drinks hearty. Piano bar and some singing by those with a few hearty drinks behind them.

The place was a Detroit "Cheers".

The_rock
Username: The_rock

Post Number: 2007
Posted on Saturday, November 10, 2007 - 11:15 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

River_rat has quite well expressed my memories of this wonderful old waterhole. My parents remember Pinky's when it was a speakeasy, We had several good meals there ourselves, and always enjoyed meeting not only the regulars but the first-timers who would walk in the door. Super piano bar.
Our Dossin Board had a few meetings there ( upstairs) and we would follow up our meeting with a nice meal.
Toward the end of its life, a young couple ( from Boston?) took over the kitchen and had a nice menu, but the lunch traffic was not enough to sustain the place.
Bob Cosgrove can tell you alot about this place. Indian Village folks traveled between Beno's and Pinkys on a regular basis.

The_rock
Username: The_rock

Post Number: 2008
Posted on Saturday, November 10, 2007 - 11:24 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

LOL lefty2. So typical of the place!! Great story.
Bud Schafer of Schafer Bread ( and Such Crust fame) owned the parking lot for a while, and sometimes the operation caused him fits!.I recall that Pinky's did have a "guard shack',although you often wondered if the chap who took your car keys was even know to management inside. You had faith that he was.