Discuss Detroit » Hall of Fame Threads » Good Old Mackenzie High School » Archive through October 16, 2007 « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Chuckjav
Username: Chuckjav

Post Number: 219
Posted on Saturday, October 06, 2007 - 10:32 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Gaz.....I would glady pay (far more than I could truly afford) to safely archive the DIAL magazines and STAG yearbooks, silently awaiting their fate in our beloved and lonely Mackenzie High School.

9936sussex
Username: 9936sussex

Post Number: 12
Posted on Saturday, October 06, 2007 - 11:08 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Birwood: I don't remember any serious trouble either...It was more getting approached for money (outside of the building), or getting followed to the bus stop. My last semester, there had been an incident in a stairwell, and the DIAL staff was told we couldn't wander around the building solo--especially the girls, so we didn't. I remember most of my trouble during lunch--getting yelled at because I tried to sit with my friends, instead of the counselor's table I was assigned to (am I remembering that right?) For some reason, Mr. Silberstein (at least I think it was him) always found me sitting at the wrong table, and would make me sit with the kids at the Schultz table.
It got to be old, having to sit with people I didn't know, just be cause we were in some kind of alphabetical order. I don't remember ever being able to leave the building during lunch either.

Birwood
Username: Birwood

Post Number: 19
Posted on Sunday, October 07, 2007 - 8:50 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Sussex & Chuckjav, I don't remember too much about the area around MHS after graduation.
Sussex if you recall our class graduated late, on June 21, because the previous Sept which was the begining of our Senior year the DPS teachers decided to go on strike for 2 weeks causing a delay. All the other school systems were out for the summer except Detroits.
We graduated on June 21 and I left for the USAF and the next 4 yrs on July 14 and haven't been back since. I haven't even been back to my old neighborhood either. I'd just as soon remember these things as they were, THE GOOD TIMES

9936sussex

Post Number: 16
Posted on Sunday, October 07, 2007 - 11:20 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Birwood: It's funny, I found a graduation announcement in my yearbook yesterday, and I noticed the late date. I remember the strike now that you have mentioned it, but I had completely forgotten it. I drive around the old neighborhood every couple of years, and I am always saddened by it....but I keep doing it. Probably because I do have such fond memories.

Reddog289
Username: Reddog289

Post Number: 22
Posted on Monday, October 08, 2007 - 3:34 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

i guess that is why my family left in 69. as my uncle put it [ i went into the army in 65,i came
home in 69, the hood got bad. your grandpa had enuff. we moved outta there.],

Chuckjav

Post Number: 225
Posted on Monday, October 08, 2007 - 8:29 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Reddog289....you make a very good point - the changes in Mackenzie's "feeder" neighborhoods, between 1965-70 were staggering; particularly the area bounded by Wyoming to Schaefer/Fullerton to West Chicago.

Chuckles
Username: Chuckles

Post Number: 129
Posted on Monday, October 08, 2007 - 8:47 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I was Cody HS 60-64, it was a pretty safe environment there at that time...Frats, Greasers and Jocks.

10 years later I am married with two youngsters in K and 1st gr...

Lived at Joy Rd and Southfield area...

Then Bussing started...I was told to take my kids out of Dixon Elementary (walking distance) and put them on the bus to Chadsy area...

That was it....Outta here to South Lyon, Livingston County...

Anyone with a good job and a decent paycheck was outta Detroit in those days...

Mackenzie HS was our best rival for most sports in the Sixties...

Regards

Birwood

Post Number: 21
Posted on Monday, October 08, 2007 - 11:10 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Sitting here in the unusual high temps for October got me thinking.
How did we ever survive at MHS? The building was technically unfit to teach children in by todays standards, No Air, Steam Heat, No Ceiling Fans. Yet we learned, even during Summer School I don't recall being uncomfortable. I think it was just the way the building was built, Brick exterior, Marble interior, windows opened top and bottom

Chuckjav

Post Number: 227
Posted on Monday, October 08, 2007 - 11:29 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Chuckles....Big shout-out to the Comets; as you mentioned, always good clean competition between Cody & Mackenzie. I had several golf and swimming friends at your school.

Birwood....I second your statement 100%; never remember being too hot or too cold - with the exception being Christmas Break morning swim practice....and that's only because of broken windows.

We were always well looked after at Mackenzie; excellent facility & faculty.

PS It does bear mentioning that, by the time I attended Mackenzie, the overtly criminal element had long since been expelled/entombed or imprisoned.

9936sussex

Post Number: 19
Posted on Monday, October 08, 2007 - 2:31 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I have to agree about the conditions at Mack. I don't ever remember being too hot or cold. But then, I grew up in a house that didn't have air conditioning (I would imagine a lot of people my age did), so I guess it didn't bother me much. If it got really hot in the summer--we would go to the movies.

Birwood

Post Number: 27
Posted on Wednesday, October 10, 2007 - 4:07 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

BLING BLANG BLONG

This is MRU with todays announcements.

All students are reminded, they are not allowed to parking in the teachers parking lot. Any student caught parking there will be ticketed by Officer Wringler.

Drag Racing is not permitted on the streets around school during school hours. Anyone caught will be ticketed by Officer Wringler.

Students are reminded to please sit at assigned tables during lunch periods.

Seniors, graduation picture application forms will be passed out during Record Room period on Thursday.

Student are reminded that Smoking between classes on School Grounds is not permitted.

Next, Monday will be a shortened schedual day due to a district teacher conference. Odd hour classes will be taught and 9th period will dismiss at 1pm.

This is MRU

BLING BLANG BLONG

Chuckjav

Post Number: 233
Posted on Wednesday, October 10, 2007 - 4:26 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Birwood.....Excellent - you're hired!

Were you on MRU?
I was on MRU - ('75 & '76) a silly white boy playing Led Zeppelin and Neil Young for all the brothers and sisters!

9936sussex

Post Number: 21
Posted on Wednesday, October 10, 2007 - 5:18 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Wasn't that Miss Forshee's gig? Never was on MRU, but I loved that little xylophone!

Ray1936
Username: Ray1936

Post Number: 2070
Posted on Wednesday, October 10, 2007 - 5:51 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"This is a test of the Mackenzie Radio Unit. This is only a test. If you do not receive this test, please call the office."

That really went out once.

Chuckjav

Post Number: 236
Posted on Wednesday, October 10, 2007 - 6:46 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Those were the days; funny thing is....students actually listened to the show.

At the school where I work - nobody pays attention to the morning announcements.

Zero production values.

Birwood

Post Number: 28
Posted on Wednesday, October 10, 2007 - 9:47 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Nope, Sorry guys I wasn't on MRU but I did a lot of behind the scenes stuff on Stage Crew and AV

I do remember the issue of the DIAL where the story was about MRU and Miss Forshee when she was young and refered to her "Golden Garters Glendora". She thought someone on Stage Crew was actually behind the story and actually caused Mr Gust a lot of grief

Eastside61
Username: Eastside61

Post Number: 332
Posted on Thursday, October 11, 2007 - 12:55 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Anyone remember a Ron Mellon...Science teacher in the mid /late 60's....I think he also coached ?????

Chuckjav

Post Number: 237
Posted on Thursday, October 11, 2007 - 6:41 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

ES61....Can't remember anyone by that name; there was a Stan Mullin - coached track at Mackenzie, after coming over from Cooley, in the early-mid 1970s.

Birwood

Post Number: 29
Posted on Thursday, October 11, 2007 - 8:00 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

ES61 Yes I remember a Mr Mellon, looking at the yearbook, I never had him as a teacher.

Does anyone remember when Mr Venola got caught in a passionate embrace with another teacher in the 3rd floor projection room. I think Mr Laub caught him

Then Mt Tyburski, another young stud, hot to trot, eventually married on of his students MHS 69, and ended up murdering her. She's the one they found stuffed in a deep freezer

9936sussex

Post Number: 22
Posted on Friday, October 12, 2007 - 12:21 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I don't remember Mr. Venola! I do remember Mr. Tyburski--didn't realize he married a girl from 1969. Birwood--do you remember what her name was?

Reddog289
Username: Reddog289

Post Number: 25
Posted on Friday, October 12, 2007 - 1:53 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

was it dorothy? it,s in one of my books about michigan stuff, i remember the case. that was 20yrs ago.

The_ed
Username: The_ed

Post Number: 42
Posted on Friday, October 12, 2007 - 2:25 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

My wife went to Mackenzie and used to talk about Mr. Tyburski. She has always said that his wife was a real bee-otch.

Chuckjav

Post Number: 241
Posted on Friday, October 12, 2007 - 4:47 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yeeeowwww....just goes to show, teachers should maintain a hands-off policy with regard to their students; an accident waiting to happen.

Chuckjav

Post Number: 246
Posted on Monday, October 15, 2007 - 6:40 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Ray1936....Looking forward to seeing your pictures from the old neighborhood; I hope the weather cooperates.

We got up to 80 degrees this afternoon in SW Ohio.

Ray1936

Post Number: 2102
Posted on Monday, October 15, 2007 - 7:17 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

When I get back on the 23rd, I'll start a new thread headed "Trip Report", Chuck, and will post the photos there. Sound like a plan?

Birwood

Post Number: 32
Posted on Monday, October 15, 2007 - 7:40 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Ray and Chuck, did you forget that this is Michigan, wait 5 min the weather will change.

Ray1936 Do Not come up NB 75, heavy construction, 3 lanes to 1, on and off, from Toledo up thru Taylor, try an alternate route

Ray1936

Post Number: 2103
Posted on Monday, October 15, 2007 - 9:39 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'm flying in. From Metro and Budget rent a car over to 275, up to 96, and out to New Hudson for Day 1. No problem.

Chuckjav

Post Number: 247
Posted on Tuesday, October 16, 2007 - 6:29 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Ray...Sounds like an excellent plan; I can almost hear the background music and conversation with George Perot....

I hope Michigan's fall color will accent your photographic tour; we've had very little color change in SW Ohio (thus far).

Ray1936

Post Number: 2105
Posted on Tuesday, October 16, 2007 - 1:04 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'm just like George Perot. I can fall asleep in the middle of a conversation........

Chuckjav

Post Number: 251
Posted on Tuesday, October 16, 2007 - 2:27 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Ray...Birwood...9936sussex...G az & and company:

Can you tell me how many students attended Mackenzie during your time at the school?

Also, do you know of anyone who attended Mackenzie during the 1940s....I have a copy of the 1944 & 1945 STAG; would love to interview someone from that era.