Discuss Detroit » Hall of Fame Threads » Wyoming & Schoolcraft & Meyers » Archive through October 25, 2007 « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Chuckjav
Username: Chuckjav

Post Number: 268
Posted on Friday, October 19, 2007 - 6:41 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Ray1936.....How's your Detroit visit and photo-shoot going?

Danny
Username: Danny

Post Number: 6695
Posted on Friday, October 19, 2007 - 7:32 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

9936sussex,

The Atlas Theater on Plymouth Rd. and Rutherford St. was a one theater movie palace showing any movie by schedule time dates and matinees. It's was closed by the early 1970s only to be replaced by a black church called Temple of Deliverence. After the congregation moved on. There were several retail strips next to the theater. A Chaldean man owned a ghetto mart (Party Store). The building was abandon for years until some Arab Muslim bought the building and tried to turn in into a several retail strips but didn't work so the Arab Muslim owner torn part of the building down exposing the brick wall of the theater part only to transformed to a two retail strips, a black owned laundromat and a Arab owned Dollar Store. The Dollar Store is still there, but the black owned laundromat was closed down and building once again is abandoned.

Ray1936
Username: Ray1936

Post Number: 2113
Posted on Friday, October 19, 2007 - 9:46 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Trip is excellent, weather is good. Bad storms last night in Michigan, but they seemed to dodge the Metro Detroit area pretty good.

Met a lot of the DetroitYes gang last night at a git-together at the Detroit Beer Factory on Broadway. Just a super bunch of folks -- but that's no surprise. I'll comment on all that when I get home. Downtown at night looked beautiful; clean as a pin.

In about 10 minutes I'm heading in to town with the camera to do the photos. Won't be able to post them until I return home, of course, because my camera driver is on my home computer.

Little breezy this morning, and I'm watching the leaves fall from a poplar tree just now. Sure am glad I don't have to rake them up..........:-)

9936sussex
Username: 9936sussex

Post Number: 34
Posted on Friday, October 19, 2007 - 10:34 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Danny: Thanks for the update on the Atlas Theatre...It was THE place to be on Saturdays (especially in the summer/fall). A bunch of us would walk up there together and for 35 cents get 2 movies and cartoons. For another dime you could get a box of popcorn. The theatre would be jam-packed with kids. It was a lot of fun, and I saw a lot of great movies!

Chuckjav

Post Number: 270
Posted on Friday, October 19, 2007 - 10:38 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Good to hear from Ray1936.

Pretty much the same weather pattern in SW Ohio as SE Michigan; clear as a bell (10:27a EDST).

Many, many DetroitYes people waiting with great anticipation for posting of your travelogue

Jjaba
Username: Jjaba

Post Number: 5569
Posted on Friday, October 19, 2007 - 2:19 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Ray1936, good to see you on tour. 14032 Northlawn would make a great shot.

Birwood, yes, Wyoming and Schoolcraft was the place. A&P Store, CF Smiths Store, Hi-Valu Five and Dime, Eagle Dairy, St. Brigits Church (with Parducci sculpture-1950), St. Brigits School and Parsonage on Ohio Street, Dunlevey's Bar. Up at Fenkell along Wyoming was Tower Bowl, Westown Theater, Kresges, and Sanders.

Northlawn and Intervale is Dieters Confectionery, Belians Market, and a cleaners, with upstairs apts. At that corner jjaba would be there early every weekday in summer for a pickup baseball game.

As for Brennan Pools, jjaba wasn't much of a swimmer. He worked in the locker room snapping towels are nine yr. old boys who "forgot" to fucking shower. (1960-63.)
jjaba, Westside Memories.

Dds
Username: Dds

Post Number: 410
Posted on Friday, October 19, 2007 - 2:45 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

He worked in the locker room snapping towels are nine yr. old boys who "forgot" to fucking shower.

This is like the 4th time you've mentioned that. I'm starting to think you are the one with the "forgetting" problem.

Ray1936

Post Number: 2117
Posted on Friday, October 19, 2007 - 7:24 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

One mystery solved.

Went by the little cemetery on Meyers at Lyndon today and discovered its name to be "Forest Hill" Cemetery.

Looks to be well maintained.

Chuckjav

Post Number: 271
Posted on Friday, October 19, 2007 - 9:56 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Ray1936....My brother and I took a walk through the cemetery back in 2002; we saw relatively few older graves and many new ones. My brother worked at the Butzel Pool concession stand back in '69; he would walk past the cemetery every day; transfixed by the gravestone of a girl named Phoebe who died at the age of 16 in 1887.

Gives me the creeps thinking about it; even creepier that I still remember the details.

(Message edited by chuckjav on October 19, 2007)

Chuckjav

Post Number: 272
Posted on Friday, October 19, 2007 - 10:05 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Jjaba....Years ago - forty to be precise - the Fresh Air Society sent members of my family to Camp Tamarack near Brighton; back when that town was "way out in the country".

Anyhoo.........

Friends that I met at camp always talked about going out to eat at Darby's; their stories sounded really cool.

Jjaba...did Darby's burn down during, or shortly after the 1967 Riot?

Jjaba

Post Number: 5570
Posted on Saturday, October 20, 2007 - 7:27 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yes, Darby's burned down. They were on W. Seven Mile and Wyoming I believe. In it's prime, Darby's was THE place.

jjaba.

Gazhekwe
Username: Gazhekwe

Post Number: 835
Posted on Saturday, October 20, 2007 - 7:35 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Darby's burned down in 1968 I think. My husband and I went there for our first date in November, 1967. I had never had corned beef or cheesecake before, can you believe that? The twotop tables were really close together and the place was packed, I think it was about 11 at night, too.

Chuckjav

Post Number: 273
Posted on Sunday, October 21, 2007 - 7:37 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Jjaba and Gaz....thanks for the info; pieces now fitting together.

Between "tours of duty" in Detroit, my family lived in Oak Park (late '67 to early '69). I recall teen terrorists coming into our OP neighborhood in 1968; they would administer unprovoked random beat-downs on school kids at or near Lessenger Elementary and Frost Junior High...stole bicycles too.

Anyhoo........

When we watched the band of invading hoodlums leave the area; they would head in the direction of (Scotia) Meyers, to Wyoming and Eight Mile, walking south from there.

Recalling now that - as OP public safety officers, parents and older kids observed the Detroiters' retreat - I heard someone say "expletive deleted...they probably burned down Darby's too".

Good old American History; the chapters never mentioned in school.

(Message edited by chuckjav on October 21, 2007)

Ray1936

Post Number: 2121
Posted on Sunday, October 21, 2007 - 9:53 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Found this on the cemetery:

http://www.findagrave.com/cgi- bin/fg.cgi?page=cr&CRid=539&CS cn=forest+hill&CScntry=4&CSst= 24&

Chuckjav

Post Number: 274
Posted on Sunday, October 21, 2007 - 10:43 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Ray...I wonder, as did my brother, if at some point the cemetary was renamed?

During our visit in 2002, we both agreed that Forest Hill did not seem familiar.

Who really knows?

Jjaba

Post Number: 5572
Posted on Sunday, October 21, 2007 - 3:59 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yes, Darby's was late in coming to the NW side but when they did, they had a huge following for delicatessen. jjaba loved the Jackie Gleason, pastrami and corned beef with swiss cheese, piled high, with Russian Dressing and a Vernors.
A side of Henny Youngman's cold slaw was devine, and then top it off with a slice, Molly Picon's cherry cheesecake.

Now that's fressen!

jjaba, Westside Bar Mitzvah Bukkor.

Ray1936

Post Number: 2122
Posted on Sunday, October 21, 2007 - 4:35 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Forest Hill didn't strike me as familiar, either, Chuck, and it's interesting that 13 of the 14 posted interments there are recent. Always seemed to me like it was an old cemetery and that was back around 1950 or so. But I'm busy enough with the cemeteries holding my ancestors and family, so I'll just let that drop.

Chuckjav

Post Number: 275
Posted on Monday, October 22, 2007 - 6:45 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Ray1936....Precisely.

Back in the day, the cemetery looked as though it was sorely neglected or abandoned all together.

My guess would be that someone reopened, expanded & renamed the cemetery during the early 1980s.

Ray, did you see the small shops and factories in and around the area of Fenkell and Meyers, heading west toward Schaefer and beyond?
Five years ago the area appeared to be thriving.

Jrvass
Username: Jrvass

Post Number: 275
Posted on Monday, October 22, 2007 - 7:31 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

jjaba... fressen? I think I have a clue. But I'm not sure.

You find us a place that serves that, and I'll meet you there and buy!

Yum!

James

Chuckjav

Post Number: 276
Posted on Monday, October 22, 2007 - 8:49 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Jjaba & Jrvass....I am totally jones-ing for the Gleason and Vernors; just about any deli sandwich and Vernors would be outstanding.

Way beyond nosh!

Birwood
Username: Birwood

Post Number: 36
Posted on Monday, October 22, 2007 - 9:14 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Chuckjav & Ray1936, One of my recollections of that little cemetary at Meyers & Lyndon was that on the Lyndon street side,near the fence I noticed a tiny grave marker of what was a Baby Lamb and the lettering on the marker was Baby Myrtle, nothing else. I remember asking my parents about it, because at the time I thought only old people died and were buried, not babies and children. I think I was about 7 or 8 at the time, a reality check. I'd walk by there coming home from the pool sometimes and would always stop and wonder about who was buried there and why they died so young. I still wonder to this day

Ray1936

Post Number: 2128
Posted on Monday, October 22, 2007 - 9:59 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Funny how life and death suddenly can get kids thinking, isn't it, Birwood? Unfortunately, on the Findagrave website, there's only 14 listings of the several hundred that must be there. I wish I could spend a day there and inventory the whole place, but wish in one hand and.....well, you know.

There's still a host of small buildings that seem to be doing business at that intersection and the area. No idea what kind of business, as few of them had signs of any substance visible from the street. Got a few photos of the area and I'll post them Wednesday when I get back home.

Ah, tomorrow night I'll sleep in my own bed......

Ravine
Username: Ravine

Post Number: 1484
Posted on Tuesday, October 23, 2007 - 12:03 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Jjaba may have meant "frisson," which refers to a shudder of excitement similar to a shiver induced by coldness.

Bearinabox
Username: Bearinabox

Post Number: 305
Posted on Tuesday, October 23, 2007 - 12:24 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I figured it was Yiddish, probably related to the German word "fressen," which loosely means "to eat."

Chuckjav

Post Number: 277
Posted on Tuesday, October 23, 2007 - 6:30 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

That old cemetery would get me thinking why it was that I never met anyone in Detroit with real roots in old, old Detroit...or Greenfield Township for that matter. I am referring specifically to people who stayed in the area; for example, I think it was Gaz that mentioned an old couple living in a farmhouse near Fullerton and Schaefer during the 1960s; I would imagine their roots went way, way back.

Ray1936

Post Number: 2129
Posted on Tuesday, October 23, 2007 - 11:58 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Home. I'll try to write a trip report with photos tomorrow. For right now, though, it's zzzzzz time.

Reddog289
Username: Reddog289

Post Number: 29
Posted on Wednesday, October 24, 2007 - 2:35 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

my grandpa talked about the wood sidewalks, but he was born in 1908. he showed us grandkids all kinds of cool places in detroit. i don,t think he
wanted to leave. as for old old detroit,i,ve never even heard alot except in books.

Ray1936

Post Number: 2134
Posted on Wednesday, October 24, 2007 - 10:22 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hey, Birwood.....this look familiar?

birwood

Ray1936

Post Number: 2135
Posted on Wednesday, October 24, 2007 - 10:24 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The old Al Pisa pharmacy at Schoolcraft and Meyers. I see they still use the name. Only they didn't have razor wire all around the perimeter of the roof.

pisa

Chuckjav

Post Number: 284
Posted on Thursday, October 25, 2007 - 6:47 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Ray1936....Looking good & the trees are amazingly green for late October!