Discuss Detroit » Hall of Fame Threads » Quicken Loans is coming to town! » Archive through November 14, 2007 « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Detroit_stylin
Username: Detroit_stylin

Post Number: 5330
Posted on Tuesday, November 13, 2007 - 7:51 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Would that building or one that size actually fit on that block?

Scs100
Username: Scs100

Post Number: 1502
Posted on Tuesday, November 13, 2007 - 8:10 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I think it is time to bring Jar Jar back...

Gthomas
Username: Gthomas

Post Number: 86
Posted on Tuesday, November 13, 2007 - 8:23 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

yeah thats what im talkin about Gistok...something u can see headed to detroit going north from I-75. I believe he will build at least 30-50 story skyscraper with modern amenities dur to the need of young urban professiinal workin in this state of the art skyscraper. IT HAS TO BE GRAND!

Shark
Username: Shark

Post Number: 297
Posted on Tuesday, November 13, 2007 - 8:24 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"The 5 story building looks so small and lonely as the sole building standing on the Statler block."

Yeah, it also looks burned out and abandoned. I'm sure that slumlord will be making out like a bandit now.

Detroitrise
Username: Detroitrise

Post Number: 639
Posted on Tuesday, November 13, 2007 - 8:33 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"Have there been any clues about which other "technology" companies might open new offices downtown?"

wouldn't that be redundant when you factor in Techtown?

Rocket_city
Username: Rocket_city

Post Number: 470
Posted on Tuesday, November 13, 2007 - 8:37 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

All you architeckies need to email your drawings to Dan to let him visualize what us daydreamers dream about! ;)

Spiritofdetroit
Username: Spiritofdetroit

Post Number: 709
Posted on Tuesday, November 13, 2007 - 8:45 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

thats one of the most foolish things I have ever heard Detroitrise. However, nothing you ramble about should surprise me by now

Lefty2
Username: Lefty2

Post Number: 674
Posted on Tuesday, November 13, 2007 - 8:51 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

i worked in a 45 story building in LA designed by yamaguchi (southfield arch.), same design as the wtc, it had about 4800 people inside, size about 1.2 mill sf.
nbc called to see if we had any terror threats after 911.

Rocket_city
Username: Rocket_city

Post Number: 471
Posted on Tuesday, November 13, 2007 - 9:59 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

You mean Yamasaki? I mean, you mean Yamasaki.

Tetsua
Username: Tetsua

Post Number: 1370
Posted on Tuesday, November 13, 2007 - 10:31 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Not sure if this article about ePrize was mentioned before. To sum it up, it says this company is considering relocating about 300 employees as well. Not really new news, but here it is anyway.

http://www.freep.com/apps/pbcs .dll/article?AID=/20071113/BUS INESS/71113037

Lefty2
Username: Lefty2

Post Number: 678
Posted on Tuesday, November 13, 2007 - 10:33 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

i stand corrected

Gistok
Username: Gistok

Post Number: 5738
Posted on Tuesday, November 13, 2007 - 11:14 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Shark... that "slumlord" you are referring to, has been the only building owner with paying tenants on the downtown stretch of Bagley Ave. for decades. He didn't burn the leased AAA Building... the team hired by the city to raze the Statler did.

If you ever happen to get into his other building across the street from the AAA Building, you will notice that ALL the elevators are fully functional (with all the brass fixtures nicely polished), the lobby has been fully restored, and the building is fully leased.

Hardly sounds like the modus operandi of a slumlord...

Shark
Username: Shark

Post Number: 298
Posted on Tuesday, November 13, 2007 - 11:36 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I know his background. Given the condition of the AAA building and the lack of anything being done with it, I consider him a slumlord.

In thread about Ilitch and his charity donations, you called Mike Ilitch "the city's worst slumlord". Well, if you ever happen to get in the FOX Theater, you will notice that ALL the elevators are fully functional and it is fully restored...

Spiritofdetroit
Username: Spiritofdetroit

Post Number: 711
Posted on Tuesday, November 13, 2007 - 11:41 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

:-)

Gistok

Post Number: 5740
Posted on Wednesday, November 14, 2007 - 12:17 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Funny how things get taken out of context... what I said was...

"The sad thing on this debate is that nearly everyone is right... the Ilitch have had their snouts in the public trough, and yet they have spent more of their own money on the city than any other family. They have been the city's worst slumlord, demo'ed some of their buildings, and yet they are now fixing up their remaining inventory of buildings."

And, as far as the AAA Building... even if it did get fixed up, some would then accuse the owner of trying to maximize his profit...

Damned if you do... damned if you don't... :-(

(Message edited by Gistok on November 14, 2007)

Scottr
Username: Scottr

Post Number: 821
Posted on Wednesday, November 14, 2007 - 1:40 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

more good news:
"Quicken also gets a one-year option to develop office and retail space on two other city-owned sites: the former Lafayette Building at Michigan Avenue and Lafayette Boulevard, and two parking lots on Broadway and Library streets, according to the development agreement."
http://detnews.com/apps/pbcs.d ll/article?AID=/20071114/BIZ/7 11140386

Gistok

Post Number: 5741
Posted on Wednesday, November 14, 2007 - 2:03 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Wow... for only $1 per parcel... not bad. I wonder if the entire Ilitch owned UA/Tuller block is included in the Statler $1 parcel?

Andyguard73
Username: Andyguard73

Post Number: 262
Posted on Wednesday, November 14, 2007 - 3:08 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I realize that its an option for the two parcels, and while he may plan on developing which ever site he doesn't choose for his HQ, the only thing he is contractually obligated to build is his headquarters. That said, being completely optimistic and assuming he builds on all 4 sites, it seems to me that the Hudson's site would make the most sense for him, if only for its central location to all the parcels in question, and its proximity to the Library st parking lots.

Dan
Username: Dan

Post Number: 1456
Posted on Wednesday, November 14, 2007 - 3:21 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Outstanding!

Now I hope they don't just sit on all 4 for a year, than scale back their plan.

They now control 3 key parcels; Hudsons, Staler, and Lafayette. That is allot in one groups hands, I hope they pull it off.

Southen
Username: Southen

Post Number: 343
Posted on Wednesday, November 14, 2007 - 8:49 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Wow im trying to figure out which additional parcel Dan would want to develope most and im having a hard time choosing. Lafayette is now in a great location for offices/residential now that the Book Cadillac and Griswold projects are underway. The open lots on Broadway though are a huge opportunity to build new and are within walking distance from his potential HQ or mixed use building. The initial announcement that he wanted to develope both sites exceeded my expectations, if they pull this off it will be amazing. This is huge.

Mackinaw
Username: Mackinaw

Post Number: 3993
Posted on Wednesday, November 14, 2007 - 9:07 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I would love to see infill on Broadway.

That said, a rehabbed Lafayette Building would also be awesome.

This is kind of a new twist, but I think the city is making a good choice by at least throwing those two options out there.

Danny
Username: Danny

Post Number: 6798
Posted on Wednesday, November 14, 2007 - 9:09 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I would like to see Quicken Loan Co. to build a 150 story skyscraper at the old Hudson site. This would be the start of Detroit's true rennaisance

Quinn
Username: Quinn

Post Number: 1535
Posted on Wednesday, November 14, 2007 - 9:11 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

f

An un-blurred version for you.

Iheartthed
Username: Iheartthed

Post Number: 2182
Posted on Wednesday, November 14, 2007 - 9:59 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I must admit that I was amused by Livonia officials crying foul over Quicken moving to Detroit. They claimed the state was removing jobs...

Would they have rather those jobs gone down the street or to another state? I hope the News was just selectively quoting Livonia officials. At least this quote was a bit more reasonable:

quote:

Jeff Bryant, economic development director for Livonia, said the move may hurt the city but it could help the region if "Detroit (becomes) a Chicago."

http://detnews.com/apps/pbcs.d ll/article?AID=/20071114/METRO 01/711140406

Thejesus
Username: Thejesus

Post Number: 2734
Posted on Wednesday, November 14, 2007 - 10:13 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Obviously, Livonia tried to keep Quicken from leaving, but I think the mayor has been very cordial in his comments...

"It's a disappointment, to say the least," Engebretson said. "We don't have the money that Detroit has and the strong support of the governor's office. We gave it our best shot."

"Engebretson said Livonia has done all it could to convince Quicken to stay, but cannot compete with the star power Detroit has brought to bear with businessmen Mike Ilitch and Peter Karmanos -- who also own major professional sports teams -- recruiting Gilbert."

It sounds to me that some people are disappointed that Livonia isn't making a bigger stink over this. The truth is that many of us in Livonia were rooting for Quicken to move downtown as well.

(Message edited by thejesus on November 14, 2007)

Iheartthed
Username: Iheartthed

Post Number: 2183
Posted on Wednesday, November 14, 2007 - 10:20 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

^He's been a little more cordial than some of his counterparts.

quote:

"The governor's intervention and the state there was a great deal of effort made to remove these jobs," said Jack Kirksey, Livonia's mayor-elect.

quote:

"It seems ridiculous offering incentives to move a company from one community in Wayne County to another," Knapp said. "The governor has literally shown more favor to one community in Michigan than another."

quote:

Pastor said Livonia donated property for Quicken to use, allowed variances for parking at historic Greenmead and offered the city's first tax abatement for an office of that type to the company.

"Livonia offered everything they could within their power," he said. "Our government wants to keep picking winners and losers. The governor is touting it like she's doing something great. It isn't a great thing."

But then Daniel Howes piece this morning really sums up my feelings on it all. Check it out in the link below:

http://detnews.com/apps/pbcs.d ll/article?AID=/20071114/OPINI ON03/711140380

Jt1
Username: Jt1

Post Number: 10772
Posted on Wednesday, November 14, 2007 - 10:23 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Your'e both right. Some people are making pissy comments as I heart illustrated but Engebretson (who did not or could not run in the most recent mayoral election) was very gracious with his comments.

(Message edited by jt1 on November 14, 2007)

Thejesus

Post Number: 2735
Posted on Wednesday, November 14, 2007 - 10:25 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

You have to understand that Livonia's government is sad to lose the tax revenue, so it's to be expected for them to sound a bit competitive but I still think they have handled the loss very well.

Again, many of us understand that Quicken will have a more positive impact in Detroit than it ever could have in Livonia.

For the sake of Detroit's image, I really hope this doesn't turn into:

Livonia: "Well, we gave it our best shot, but our loss is Detroit's gain. Good luck Quicken, good luck Detroit."

Detroit: "Ha ha, Livonia. We took your #1 company, na na na na na na!"

That would be disappointing.

Jt1
Username: Jt1

Post Number: 10773
Posted on Wednesday, November 14, 2007 - 10:30 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

Livonia: "Well, we gave it our best shot, but our loss is Detroit's gain. Good luck Quicken, good luck Detroit."

Detroit: "Ha ha, Livonia. We took your #1 company, na na na na na na!"

That would be disappointing.

I would be disappointed to hear that as well but it has been going on in the opposite direction for decades and nobody was crying for Detroit.

I like the idea of looking at this in a regional focus but I certainly don't want to hear any crying from elsewhere because there certainly have been no crying as communities and counties outside of Detroit have wooed Detroit businesses to relocate for decades.

Hopefully, the city and leadership will take the high road but if they acted like past precedents then they can't be faulted for a little 'na na na'

Thejesus

Post Number: 2737
Posted on Wednesday, November 14, 2007 - 10:39 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

^we'll, the idea of the state favoring Detroit over the suburbs for big businesses is a new idea in Michigan and will take some getting used to...you just have to expect that...

But I really think my generation views the change in the winds MUCH more favorably than my parents' generation did/does